Little secrets - share!

Another one for the microwave...

Stinky, bacteria-laden sponge? Get it wet, maybe add a tiny dot of dish soap, place it in the microwave for 1-1/2 minutes on high and you now have a sterilized sponge.

You can cut dryer sheets like Bounce in half, and it will work exactly the same as if you used a whole sheet. Instant 50% savings!

If you use the foaming dishwasher soap, you CAN use regular dish soap (which ends up being LOTS cheaper) to refill it instead of buying the foaming kind. You just need to dilute it with water to thin it out, then shake it up a bit to mix it well. I have one bottle of liquid dish soap that has lasted me over six months already!

Before you buy grapes, hold the stem and shake the bunch a little bit first...the older iccky grapes will fall off. No sense paying for mushy grapes!

If you run out of unsweetened chocolate, use 3 TB cocoa and 1TB melted butter or crisco as a substitute. This saved me during Thanksgiving!!

Fun thread! :D

I have very dry skin so my "makeup remover" is baby oil in the gel form.

I put it on my feet in the summer too and just put socks on before I go to bed (light ones if it is hot). Helps soften quickly and absorbs well overnight.

I know one that has improved my life! When I was in HR, I had to give public speeches but I am SO SHY and I would practically freak out. I had a true fear of public speeches! A professor once told me to pop 2 tylenol prior to speaking; it slows your heart rate down (but safely of course) so that you don't get that wobble mouth, out-of-breath sounding jittery talk. It helps with the clammy hand thing too before interviews... HTH!

Clarissa

Oh fun thread. Love the chapstick one!

Uh, I slather my feet with Vaseline or foot cream before I work out, put on my socks and shoes and my feet are baby soft after I am done.

I also put Neem hair oil through my hair, pop on my baseball hat and workout, then shampoo. Great hair conditioner.

To wash these basball caps? Stick 'em in the dishwasher (without dishes of course) and run them through the cycle, air dry.

Also pure grapeseed oil smeared all over your body after a bath or shower is a great moisturizer.

Oatmeal makes a great face mask. Egg white do too, they will give you a "mini-lift".

I know one that has improved my life! When I was in HR, I had to give public speeches but I am SO SHY and I would practically freak out. I had a true fear of public speeches! A professor once told me to pop 2 tylenol prior to speaking; it slows your heart rate down (but safely of course) so that you don't get that wobble mouth, out-of-breath sounding jittery talk. It helps with the clammy hand thing too before interviews... HTH!

Clarissa

Ooo - I like this one too - by the way, acupuncture before a job interview really calms you down, too. I love acupuncture - nothing is better for pain. It has cured my sore neck, back, headaches, you name it. And you feel so damned good after. Bring on the needles!

I use coconut oil (groceries) as a full body/face moisturizer.
I use white vinegar to clean basically everything, full strength for counter tops/sinks. The magic eraser works great on a glass cooktop.
You took my two! (I make sure, though, to buy the extra virgin coconut oil that is unrefined. It smells wonderfully of coconut, not like the refined stuff that doesn't have much of a smell at all).

White vinegar also works to clean mineral deposits out of shower heads (soak the head in a bowl filled with 1/2 vinegar and water, or just vinegar---takes more time with the diluted formula). Also good for cleaning deposits in tea pots or stainless steel distiller canisters (instead of buying/using possibly pricey, definitey dangerous and toxic mineral dissolver).

Keep two bags of cheap, non-absorbant kitty litter and a couple of cheap army-blanket type blankets in your trunk in the winter. The litter gives good traction on ice, and the blankets can also be used for traction.

And Magic Erasers can get permanent marker/Sharpee off of wood furniture. It may dull the finish a bit, but it my case, it was the only thing that worked to get an 8-inch-tall drawing of a little girl (courtesy of one of my little girls) off of my kitchen pedestal table.

Well, this really isn't a big deal, but it's made me happy over the last couple of months. I took cuttings from my outsided flowers(petunias and the little red flowers from my window box), before the first frost. I placed them in a jar of water in my kitchen and now I have flowers blooming in the middle of winter. I love it. They have a terrific root system now and I'm hoping that I'll be able to plant them in the spring. So. double bonus - flowers in the winter and plants for the spring! :)

And Magic Erasers can get permanent marker/Sharpee off of wood furniture. It may dull the finish a bit, but it my case, it was the only thing that worked to get an 8-inch-tall drawing of a little girl (courtesy of one of my little girls) off of my kitchen pedestal table.

Re: the Magic Erasers thing. I keep hearing that they are dangerous. Is there any truth to this, or is it an Urban Myth? Does anyone know?

I slather baby one while still in the shower and then when I dry off I just pat dry. It is the best moisturizer and it is cheap too. By the time I dry my hair it has totally soaked in and there is no greasy residue.

Another one I have heard but have never tried is to use a dryer sheet to clean the tub. It is supposed to be great with getting rid of soap scum.

This is a great thread. I am going to try some of these today.

Another vinegar freak here. I use it to deodorize everything in my house, even the laundry.
Don't buy air fresheners, they don't freshen the air, they just coat the cilia (little hairs) in your nose so that you can't smell the offensive odor!!!!

I put small bowls of vinegar on top of the fridge, in the LR near the kitty litter, on top of the bathroom cabinet etc. It absorbs the odors and after about 2-3 days I replace it.

Baking soda is a great cleanser substitute. And both will take DH arm pit odor out of well worn shirts!!!

ellie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.