Little secrets - share!

Fun Thread

Nivea Skin Firming Lotion really does work--that is, if it is your SKIN that needs firming (which it was, in my case). My thighs were getting crinkly and I thought, "Ugh! How can this be? I have muscles! What is this cellulite?" Then DH (of all people) said, "You do have muscles. I think it's your skin." So I used the Nivea lotion and voila--no more crinkles!

Now, if it's really cellulite, you're going to have to do Low-End lunges for that! LOL. :)

Witch Hazel makes a great astringent. Anne Gittleman swears by cocoa butter creme as moisturizer and decrease fine lines. Both are cheap at the Dollar General store.

Witch Hazel makes a great astringent. Anne Gittleman swears by cocoa butter creme as moisturizer and decrease fine lines. Both are cheap at the Dollar General store.

Okay, I was just talking about cocoa butter. Does anyone know why it smells like coconuts, when it should smell like chocolate? Cocoa butter isn't coconut butter, after all, is it?

Nivea Skin Firming Lotion really does work--that is, if it is your SKIN that needs firming (which it was, in my case). My thighs were getting crinkly and I thought, "Ugh! How can this be? I have muscles! What is this cellulite?" Then DH (of all people) said, "You do have muscles. I think it's your skin." So I used the Nivea lotion and voila--no more crinkles!

Now, if it's really cellulite, you're going to have to do Low-End lunges for that! LOL. :)

Hmmm, not saying I have this problem but... maybe I'll try it just for fun! ;)

elliemom...how much mix baking soda and vinegar (what kind?) do you mix together for the smelly armpits of shirts? Do you apply it directly on the shirts? Will it harm good clothes?

Use parchment paper to line baking and casserole dishes when baking anything that is typically difficult to clean up. Don't worry...it won't catch fire and it makes clean-up a breeze!

love this thread!

Awesome suggestions here!
My only tip would be that in the winter time my skin in pretty parched, so I do a trick that one of my high school friend's mother taught her. Her mom had to pinch pennies with 10 kids at home and she was a nurse's aide, and her hands were always so dry they bled. So, at bedtime I put a thin layer of Vaseline on my face and a little thicker on my hands and feet after a brief soak. I put thin white cotton socks on my hands and feet (my DH thinks it's crazy!) and go to bed. My hands literally bleed by the end of the day at work (I was before and after each patient and as needed, over 50 times per day) and this heals them up overnight.
If anyone has any other fabulous hand suggestions let me know, this helps heal but would like something during the day that isn't so greasy!
julie

Cool thread!! :eek:

Any old shampoo or conditioner will clean your sinks, tubs, and showers really well. And no nasty chemical smell.

OMG. Ages ago, I spilled Prell shampoo in my bathtub and left the spill because I was running late for work. When I got home I was stunned when I wiped up the spill and the spot underneath was bright sparkling white. What a brilliant accident.

Remembered another one. If you have a stainless steel sink, use olive oil to make it shine. Just put some on a paper towel and rub it all over. Then take another paper towel and wipe up the excess. Shiny!

I put one full cup in cold water (low level) in the washer with DH sweat stained smelly shirts. I put it on soak only cycle for 1 hour then wash. I repeat with one cup of baxing soda with the vinegar only I don't soak first. I use a second rinse and wala.... no pit smell or stains!!!!

ellie

I use one of those turkey roasting bags to line the crock pot.
It saves a lot of scrubbing time.

If you have a lot of fruit flies put a little cider vinegar and a drop of dish detergent in a juice glass. They will fly in and drown.

This is an AWESOME thread!!!

Thanks to you ladies I put vaseline on my feet last night with socks and went to bed. . . my feet were silky smooth this morning and I had been using a more expensive foot softener creme that wasn't doing anything!!!

And the fruit fly trick above is one I will definitely use in the future!!

Thanks thanks thanks!! I wish I had something to share. . . I'll have to think on it! :)

I used to buy the expensive make-up primer to use before I put on my make-up. Now I use, don't laugh, monistat chafing cream. It has the same ingrediants in it and my make up looks so smooth. It has no smell and it doesn't break out my face. Plus it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

I used to buy the expensive make-up primer to use before I put on my make-up. Now I use, don't laugh, monistat chafing cream. It has the same ingrediants in it and my make up looks so smooth. It has no smell and it doesn't break out my face. Plus it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Okay, this one gets my vote as the best actual secret!!!

This is a GREAT thread! I'm excited to try some of these ideas!

My idea is for cleaning kitchen floors (not wood). I would actually get down on my hands and knees and use my scunci steam cleaner to do a thorough cleaning of my kitchen floor. And in the end, it was just "ok".

Over the summer I found THE BEST and easiest floor cleaner. Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser Mops! They're so easy, just wet it and mop the floor, and that dingy film was GONE and my floor looked new/white again!

-It is cheaper to purchase cleaning supplies and paper products, ie toliet paper at Dollar Tree and Dollar General. I always purchase the store brand. Unless I have a coupon which makes it cheaper. I was at Dollar Tree yesterday and found Jasimine cleaner which is a cleans and disinfects w/o fruy fruy over the top price tag.

-Dollar General is also great for Hane's underwear, ie panties, t-shirts.

-Men's/Boy's department are sometimes cheaper than the women's/girl's department. For example size 18 boys shirts and jeans fit well on me.

-White tennis shoes when rubbed on dark markings will get marks up.

-Put perfume in refrig and ditto with makeup until you need.

-After Christmas in January/February are the best times to purchase gifts. I have a gift closet for this.

-"Bartender's Friend" also cleans stainless steel. About 1.50 at Dollar General.

-Bleach and water works well in spray bottle, especially white kitchen cabinets.

-I hang up the t-shirts especially with graphics, shirts, etc. The only I dry are underwear and sheets (linens, wash clothes, etc) and jeans. I do hang up my bras to dry. Spray starch on pants before putting in dryer. If you have a wrinkle shirt, spray starch and put in dryer. (I am not a domestic diva here! :D)

-Garage sales, consignment stores, thrift shops, Craigslist are great places to shop. I found a Columbia jacket for 1.00 at church garage sale.

That is all I can think of for now......

could you clarify

You put on cup of ___________in cold water? I would like to try this, but wasn't sure what you were talking about. Thanks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.