Little secrets - share!

This is a GREAT thread! I'm excited to try some of these ideas!

My idea is for cleaning kitchen floors (not wood). I would actually get down on my hands and knees and use my scunci steam cleaner to do a thorough cleaning of my kitchen floor. And in the end, it was just "ok".

Over the summer I found THE BEST and easiest floor cleaner. Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser Mops! They're so easy, just wet it and mop the floor, and that dingy film was GONE and my floor looked new/white again!

WAIT A MINUTE! You mean to tell me they actually DO MAKE MAGIC ERASER MOPS???? OMG! I was just saying to somebody on Friday that they need to make a mop! OMG! How funny is that. HEre's my short story.....I clean a friend's house and on Friday her mop broke. So I figured I may as well use the Magic Eraser (the small hand sponge, mind you) to get the dirtiest parts clean. Well, let me tell you! I was so impressed how this sponge cleaned that I did her ENTIRE KITCHEN FLOOR on my hands and knees with it! LOL WOWZERS! I'm off to shop for the mop today!

Great thread, btw!

Gayle

2 more great uses for regular white vinegar:

1. Removes salt stains from leather (think winter shoes and boots)
2. Dissolves wallpaper paste better than commercial products for wallpaper removal

anne

Debbie Meyer Green Bags - they actually do work! As a vegetarian, I go through a lot of veggies, and I used to throw out a lot too. Not anymore, I swear to God! So worth the money.

They're great!! and if you put your bread (ezekial) in there it not only stays longer, but gets softer after you put in there.
Tammy

I am loving this thread! I have read so many great ideas!

My only "secret" is to use Soft Scrub to clean dirt and scuff marks off of white or off-white leather shoes.

Carrie

When you drop a raw egg, throw salt on it, the salt holds it together and make clean up much easier.

I just learned a much better way to hardboil eggs, so I thought I would post it. Add enough water to the pot to cover the eggs (don't prick the eggs like my previous post said to do). Do not add salt. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Leave the pot covered, but remove it from heat. Let sit for 15 minutes. Plunge eggs immediately into very cold water until all heat is gone and then store them in fridge. Eggs that are older before they are boiled will peel easier. The eggs taste so good done this way!

So, it's been about 6 weeks since we posted any new secrets, so I thought I'd see if any of the previously posted secrets have changed anyone's life?

Great thread!

I will try to come up with some secret tips to share.
I am thankful for all your great tips!!

Linda

Love the green bags!

Okay, I want your secrets - tell us what you know that we don't and you think would improve our lives to know it. Here's mine:

• Hardboiled eggs don't crack and leak all over the place if you pierce the shell with a needle in the wide end before boiling. No need to add salt to the water.

• Gently scrub your face with a baking soda paste (mix baking soda with a little water) after cleansing, as a gentle exfoliant that you can use every day and will make your skin feel wonderful - each of the little particles are the same size, so they don't tear your skin.

• Debbie Meyer Green Bags - they actually do work! As a vegetarian, I go through a lot of veggies, and I used to throw out a lot too. Not anymore, I swear to God! So worth the money.

Okay, so give!

Green bags are the best for grape tomatoes! I used to toss a lot of them when they went bad, but not with the green bags!

Does anyone know how I can get yellow stains made by bleach to come out of a pair of white pants I have? I had a stain on a pair of pants and used bleach, but it left a yellow stain.

I found out that applying a paste of aspirin and a tiny bit of water really does help clear up break outs. It's not a miracle, but it often works better than any of the many products I have.

that works for me too. have to get the uncoated kind. using only 1 pill a wash,a few times a week, will take me maybe over a year to go through that 1 $2 bottle. crazy.

did you know high lights on the crown of your head dries out oily hair?
omg! i so need to get this done. also, the highlights offset that grunge look at the end of the day.

my fav. fast way to clean kitchen floor (linoleum)is to rub a paste of baking soda on it with a towel. much faster and cleaner than if i spent lots of time mopping it. its the best way to get rid of sticky floors.

i dont use shaving cream, just conditioner.
old fashioned mens shaving cream is fun for kids to play with, and cleans the table all in one step.

another one for kids-
magic goop: corn starch and water mixed together. the consistency is semi solid. fun for kids to experient in. then if some spills, when the water dries its just powdered cornstarch again. very easy clean up. and super cheap.
i just finished child development classes, so we learned alot of stuff like that. and from my kids' headstart teachers.

One of the best things I've done this year is to go green with my household cleaning supplies.

You can find lots of books or even free "recipes" on the internet for all types of cleaners.

I use coarse salt, baking soda, washing soda, borax, castille soap, vinegar, and a few essential oils (primarily ones like tee tree, peppermint, lemon, etc) to clean my whole house. It saves a lot of money, and is environmentally friendly at the same time. My house always smells good too.

Also, if you have acne-prone skin (like me), I read a book that helped. It's The Acne Cure (can't remember the author's name). Also, I did some research on www.beautypedia.com and found some helpful info. I have used Acutane twice to get my skin under control, and started to have problems again this year. These sources suggested a system that has helped me tremendously: after washing face with a mild cleanser, use a salicylic acid treatment, 2% at a pH of 3-4 to exfoliate the skin and get into the pores. Then use an alpha hydroxy or glycolic acid to further exfoliate and moisturize the skin, around 5% concentration at a pH of 3-4. You can find out which products fall into these categories at www.beautypedia.com, and she rates every thing as to effectiveness and cost.

Another good book is Breaking Out (again, I can't remember the author). There are also lists of products that are helpful in this book.

Last edited:
This is a great thread, thanks for reviving it. I have been wracking my brain to think of some secrets but am not doing very well. The only thing I can come up with is that if you microwave a lemon or lime for 15 seconds before juicing it you get a lot more juice. Also the tops of pineapples twist off like a twist bottle cap (but I think most people know that one already) I'll try to think up some others!

Pam

the salictic acid....um what she said, that'd why the aspirin works. i just mix it into hand soap, wash my face. rinse well.
i use the hand soap, i know i'm weird. i was using a face wash, and ran out. i noticed dial liq. soap is same color etc as what i was using. seems to work just as well for me.
of course for alot of people that wouldn't work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.