Need to vent a little...long(sorry)

upnorthchick

Cathlete
So back on February 23rd I took a little tumble off my step bench (flew into the sliding glass window then landed on the floor!). I brushed myself off and finished Imax 2 -watch out for that 3rd blast, it's a doozie. ;) Two weeks after the "incident", the first symptoms started. My right foot would go numb and tingly if I was standing still and I had some foot dropping. Disconcerting at first, then just became annoying. It was my only symptoms and would go away with a little walking around or sitting down.

After a couple consults with a doctor, I had an MRI. I have a bulging disc at my L4-L5, some spinal stenosis(narrowing of the spinal column), a synovial cyst(think blister), and some spondylolisthesis(think vertebrea out of alignment) all in that same area. All of it putting pressure on my nerves there. :confused:

Suddenly, around the first week in May, other symptoms started happening: Sharp, burning pain shooting from my right hip/butt down my leg and calf when I stand up from sitting or lying down. However, the numb foot and dropping have disappeared. It's really bad in the morning; I can't even bend over to put on my socks and shoes! :(

I've had 4 opinions from 4 doctors on this: surgery, wait and see if it gets worse, muscle relaxants (which I took for a day but they made me sick!), and some manipulation therapy from a chiropractor. I have an appt. with another dr tomorrow. This one is at the pain clinic for a consult on a cortisone shot or anything that will relieve the pain and swelling. It so swollen on my right hip that I actually wear a size bigger pant! The scale if up 13 pounds!! WTH?!!

For my own treatment I’ve been icing at least 3 times a day and doing some stretches. I have to do the stretching at night because it hurts so badly in the AM.

I’ve had to stop doing step, kickboxing, and floor aerobics because the sometimes sudden movements cause great pain down my leg. I’ve been walking and doing some light weight lifting. I can’t even bike because of the sitting.

I am SO frustrated and so sad. I used to do step 4 times a week and kickboxing at least once a week. Walking is not my favorite form of exercise so it feels like a chore-I have to make myself do it. I feel like I’m 10 and someone took away my TV!!! :mad:

I am signed up for the Road Trip, which I will not miss, even if I have to just march in place! :eek:

Anyway, I love these boards and I wanted to let you know that for right now I’m exercising vicariously through you :D

Thank you for listening/reading!!

Lisa

aww!

I really think you should see a chiropractor before you do the surgery. Maybe a physical therapist? Often repairing muscle imbalances and realigning your bones can really help. When I was 11 years old they told me I had tennis elbow. I couldn't raise my right arm above my shoulder. I was in so much pain I cried. This went on for about a year. The medical doctors never asked if I had been in a car accident. I had. I was not in my seat belt we weren't driving that fast and we were late for a Girl Scout meeting. We were t-boned. I went head first into the dash board. I never saw a doctor. I thought I was fine. I felt fine at the time. My neck had a bulge like I was the humpback from Notre Dame until two years ago when I took up yoga. I got two inches (almost) out of fixing the spaces in my neck. My chiropractor fixed my shoulder. My yoga fixed my neck. I"m not saying that I know for certain that will work for you, but I've had other kinds of surgeries, and getting cut is no fun.

Btw, you can always vent here.

Oh, Lisa. ((hug))

I like the idea of trying anything but surgery first (you're rarely the same after they cut you). If I were in your shoes, I'd be heading for some kind of physical therapy.

I know the symptoms of Sciatica can take up to 2 months to go away. Has anyone mentioned this as a possible diagnosis for you?

Good luck with the doc appointment at the pain clinic. And remember...this is only temporary! This will get figured out one way or another, and you will be well for the Road Trip. :)

I really think you should see a chiropractor before you do the surgery. Maybe a physical therapist? Often repairing muscle imbalances and realigning your bones can really help. When I was 11 years old they told me I had tennis elbow. I couldn't raise my right arm above my shoulder. I was in so much pain I cried. This went on for about a year. The medical doctors never asked if I had been in a car accident. I had. I was not in my seat belt we weren't driving that fast and we were late for a Girl Scout meeting. We were t-boned. I went head first into the dash board. I never saw a doctor. I thought I was fine. I felt fine at the time. My neck had a bulge like I was the humpback from Notre Dame until two years ago when I took up yoga. I got two inches (almost) out of fixing the spaces in my neck. My chiropractor fixed my shoulder. My yoga fixed my neck. I"m not saying that I know for certain that will work for you, but I've had other kinds of surgeries, and getting cut is no fun.

Btw, you can always vent here.

Thanks for sharing your story, RapidBreath! It's nice to know that a chiro and some yoga helps!

Oh, I am definitely NOT having any surgery!! I can still walk, go to work, stand, etc. I was in absolute shock when one doctor told me surgery was my option. :confused:

I have been to the chiro twice, tonight will be my 3rd visit. So far, I don't feel any worse so I will give him some time to "fix me". He also thinks that some physical therapy will be needed too.

I got some really good advice and a plan from another poster here and I've incorporated her advice into my daily routine. Stretching, walkinig, icing...

I'm exploring the cortisone epidural as a means to get a) some relief from pain and b) get the swelling down. I'm hoping there is something else that will take away the swelling but that darn pain!

Oh, Lisa. ((hug))

I like the idea of trying anything but surgery first (you're rarely the same after they cut you). If I were in your shoes, I'd be heading for some kind of physical therapy.

I know the symptoms of Sciatica can take up to 2 months to go away. Has anyone mentioned this as a possible diagnosis for you?

Good luck with the doc appointment at the pain clinic. And remember...this is only temporary! This will get figured out one way or another, and you will be well for the Road Trip. :)

Thank you, Lori! Yes, Sciatica has been mentioned and the chiro is hoping that he can get me well soon.

I've been quite emotional about this(I'm even crying right now). I have been trying to lose about 20lbs (make that 30 with this injury) since January and this is not helping. Plus I am so used to working out at such a high level that walking feels like a punishment. I hate that I can't make my body do what I want it to!

I feel like I’m 10 and someone took away my TV!!! :mad:

Lisa

the tv thing makes me laugh. that was the most effective punishment my mom had where my big brother was concerned. he loved his tv, he really got back in line when she threatened no tv. i've sorry about your injury, it's so frustrated, especially when your on a roll trying to lose weight. i have no experience with this type of injury, but i wish you a speedy recovery.

the tv thing makes me laugh. that was the most effective punishment my mom had where my big brother was concerned. he loved his tv, he really got back in line when she threatened no tv. i've sorry about your injury, it's so frustrated, especially when your on a roll trying to lose weight. i have no experience with this type of injury, but i wish you a speedy recovery.

:D LOL! Watching TV is my second favorite thing to do in life! Working out is my favorite ;)

I herniated a disc (L5-S1) last year (May) and did nothing except go to the chiro for a few weeks, use a cold gel pack and wear some kind of brace around my waist a few times. It healed on it's own but I was in PAIN for about 2 months. For the past 1 1/2 weeks, I've had the same pain, only not quite as bad. I think I either herniated another disc (I had 2 that were bulging) or re-injured the first. I'm still doing STS upper body and started back at the gym to do leg work and cardio since I can't do any free weight leg work or step, kick boxing, etc. The day after I did a Turbo Jam workout was when the pain started. So I definitely know where you're coming from. I'm thankful though I can still function, even in pain, and I know it will eventually get better. By the way, last year, the reason I stopped going to the chiro was because she mentioned referring me to a neurosurgeon. NOPE!!

OMG! All that from a little "tumble!" I feel for you! I am the worst klutz and have taken quite a few falls down my stairs! I guess it's a miracle that I haven't really hurt myself yet! Good for you for working with every possible option before going for surgery! Back surgery is difficult to recover from!

Have you considered trying a holistic approach as well? Try acupuncture or some form of energy work. Don't laugh, there's a lot to these types of treatments! There are also some different manipulation therapies that are holistic that, for whatever reason, I'm drawing a blank on right now! Frustrating, as I have had some of these types of treatments myself with excellent results! I'll look them up and post them here for you! It's worth a try!

Looking forward to seeing you up and stepping and kickboxing again soon!

Tricia

Have you considered trying a holistic approach as well? Try acupuncture or some form of energy work. Don't laugh, there's a lot to these types of treatments! There are also some different manipulation therapies that are holistic that, for whatever reason, I'm drawing a blank on right now! Frustrating, as I have had some of these types of treatments myself with excellent results! I'll look them up and post them here for you! It's worth a try!
Tricia

Ah! Here's the information I was talking about:

1. Craniosacral Therapy - Used mainly for pain management.

2. Rolfing - (I know it sounds weird!) This is used to manipulate the myofascial structure to improve posture and positional issues and all helps alleviate pain.

These are the main ones.

Tricia

I herniated a disc (L5-S1) last year (May) and did nothing except go to the chiro for a few weeks, use a cold gel pack and wear some kind of brace around my waist a few times. It healed on it's own but I was in PAIN for about 2 months. For the past 1 1/2 weeks, I've had the same pain, only not quite as bad. I think I either herniated another disc (I had 2 that were bulging) or re-injured the first. I'm still doing STS upper body and started back at the gym to do leg work and cardio since I can't do any free weight leg work or step, kick boxing, etc. The day after I did a Turbo Jam workout was when the pain started. So I definitely know where you're coming from. I'm thankful though I can still function, even in pain, and I know it will eventually get better. By the way, last year, the reason I stopped going to the chiro was because she mentioned referring me to a neurosurgeon. NOPE!!

Kim,
Your story gives me hope! Thank you!! When I consulted with the chiro he said the magic words to me, "let's try to take the surgery option off the table and get you better" :)

I, too, am thankful I can function with the pain.

Feel better soon!!

Lisa

Ah! Here's the information I was talking about:

1. Craniosacral Therapy - Used mainly for pain management.

2. Rolfing - (I know it sounds weird!) This is used to manipulate the myofascial structure to improve posture and positional issues and all helps alleviate pain.

These are the main ones.

Tricia

Hi Tricia! Thanks for the info! I will look up those therapies. I've never heard of either of them but I think a Google search will get me to the right places. :)I think the chiro is doing manipulation therapy on me, but I'm not sure. They have an accupuncturist there too so that is definitely an option for me. I'm not ruling out any treatment (except for surgery).

Thank you so much!!

Lisa

Me again....I forgot to say that after a few months, I was totally pain free, doing everything I had done before and more (running and STS). About 3 1/2mos AFTER the herniation, I was running the stadium at the local high school. It WILL get better!

Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. My husband is dealing with a bulged disc in the low back (L5). He has the same symptoms and we were given the exact same recommendations. He decided on conservative - wait and see if it gets better vs. surgery. It did get better. The pain is so much more bearable now.

His case was so bad, the chiro pain was unbearable. The physiothrapist asked him to walk despite the pain every day and that did help. He found heat helped better than icing. He was in such bad shape the doc and phyiotherapist had to wait for some degree of healing from rest before they started physiotherapy.

Accupressure wont help with healing but it will help with symptoms (pain relief) is what I have been told. My husband got better just when we were considering accupressure.

Get well soon!

Last edited:
Hi Tricia! Thanks for the info! I will look up those therapies. I've never heard of either of them but I think a Google search will get me to the right places. :)I think the chiro is doing manipulation therapy on me, but I'm not sure. They have an accupuncturist there too so that is definitely an option for me. I'm not ruling out any treatment (except for surgery).

Thank you so much!!

Lisa

Your welcome! I hope you find a combination of treatments that gets you some real relief! Keep us all posted on your progress! :D

Ouch, so sorry to hear this happened to you and I hope it doesn't have to be surgery. I was sidelined for months once just from an ankle injury (which sounds very minor but which I think indirectly led to knee issues later as well). Mine only required a few months of physical therapy and some very careful workouts. My orthopedic surgeon told me not to do step anymore but I ended up ignoring him (though I took it down to a wimpy 4 inches) and last year I was stepping away at the RT.

Anyway point is this may take time and I hope it doesn't get too discouraging--keep getting second opinions if you have to!

Have you considered Thai Massage? It's a hybrid of yoga and massage. The therapist assists in stretching you and placing you in various yoga type poses and then massages you while in those poses. Make sure that you discuss your issues with the therapist so that they can concentrate on those areas and will ask you if they are going too far, etc.

It really helped my knee because I'm not able to fully stretch the quads on that side without further injuring my knee and she did a bunch of compressions to help stretch the muscles in the area.

I just got a cortisone injection yesterday, and besides fainting afterwords, it seems like it will help.

Good luck in your speedy recovery!

Thank you all SO much for your support and kind words. It's helped my attitude immensely!

Vee- I'm very happy (and encouraged) that your husband got relief from the pain.

GMonkey-Sorry about your knee but I'm glad the cortisone shot gave you some relief. Get better soon!!

I'll keep you posted and I'll let you know when I am pain free :)

Lisa,

I recommend you find a great massage therapist. And I am not talking one that does the feel good relaxing massage but the corrective type re-aligning massage. Months ago I was having extreme numbness in my in my hands when I would sleep that would radiate immense pain back up into my shoulder. Of Course all the doctors were carpal tunnel you need surgery. Went the massage route instead. And between him working on me and us talking, he realized the pain was actually being caused by my C-Section Scar of 4 years ago. The trapped nerve there was referring pain to my shoulder. He worked the scar tissue and worked to stretch that area and guess what....all the pain is gone.:D:D:D And now I get to sleep at night! I love my massage therapist!:D:D:D:D

Lisa, I'm not dealing with the same thing, but I can totally relate to your fear, depression, sadness, crying, etc. from major health issues and not being able to workout like you are used to. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. The added weight gain I'm sure makes it even more frustrating!! These dang bodies are so difficult sometimes!!!:mad: Take time to make the right decision for you, weigh all your options, take good care of yourself and be kind to yourself during this rough time.

(((HUGs))) and positive vibes coming your way...:D

Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.