What is the saddest movie you've ever seen

Hey, from one goober to another...I used to watch that movie atleast once a week!!! Thanks Liann, now I'm going to have to hunt that movie down and watch it for a good cry :(;)

Oh good Mary! I'm glad I am not the only one. That part where she puts the record on and finds his letter on the back of the picture is just gut wrenching!

One of the most heart wrenching movies I've ever seen (to the point I absolutely cannot see it again) is "Boy in the Striped Pajamas".

OMG I just watched this a few days ago: movie was great but I will never ever EVER watch it again! I was bawling at the end and couldnt stop! This one traumatized me!!

Liann, I am 100% with you on "The Land Before Time;" that's another one I can't watch!

I also cried like a little baby through 95% of "PS I Love You."

Beaches
Steel Magnolias ( the funeral tears me up every time..)
Brian's Song
Turning Point
Dying Young

Can't see Marley and Me, I cried at the end of the book, so I wimp out there..
Have never seen Terms of Endearment, it came out when my mother was dying of cancer...

my kids make fun of me all the time for crying at the end of Homeward Bound when the old dog comes home. My kids love to say "Peter, Peter I missed you!" and I tear up immediately. :p

Erica

I cry every time I see Homeward Bound as well! Especially at the end. I can hear "Peter Peter..." in my head now as well and I'm filling up.

A more recent movie that made me BAWL LIKE A BABY in the theater was Gran Torino... I was blubbering like an idiot at the end of it and had to sit during the credits and pull myself together... I highly suggest this movie if you want to feel a full range of feelings - I laughed, I got angry, I was beyond sad...

I forgot how much I cried in Bridges of Madison County. The scene where she has her hand on the doorknob of the truck still sticks with me.

My Girl was a tear jerker for me, and I will never watch it again. Melissa

One of the most heart wrenching movies I've ever seen (to the point I absolutely cannot see it again) is "Boy in the Striped Pajamas".

I already gave my choices, but I'd totally forgotten about this one! Maybe I'd subconsciously blocked it out of my mind... One of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen. My friend and I saw it at the theater and after it was over, I said "WTF?" really loud, we just sat there stunned and crying for like 15 minutes. Then we went outside and walking to our car we started laughing for no reason because we'd been crying so hard...I think it was "post traumatic stress" or something. I also will NEVER watch it again...EVER.

Sorry so long, but this movie really disturbed me.

Seriously no votes for "When a Man Loves a Woman" - this is my ultimate tear jerker - especially when he decides to take the job in Denver and goes to say goodbye to the younger daughter "Bye baby!" UGH!

I'm with those who posted about PS I love you... I was seriously depressed for a full day after that one. I would be the same way if I lost my husband... can't even imagine.

Stepmom is a crazy one too.

My Life is just gut wrenching.

Beaches is a classic.

What about "I Am Sam" with Sean Penn, Dakota Fanning, and Michelle Pfiefer?

The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood

An oldie but a goodie, Kramer vs. Kramer ("... and we've built a life together...")

Okay, and a million years ago there was a made for TV movie with SJP called "In the Best Interest of the Children" - I was obsessed with it as an early teen and it made me cry like a baby.

I'm a sucker for sad movies...

Oh good Mary! I'm glad I am not the only one. That part where she puts the record on and finds his letter on the back of the picture is just gut wrenching!

I just love the fact that he follows her home to make sure she is okay... man is that a wonderful guy or what?!?! I'm swooning here :p

The Time Traveler's Wife...

...was pretty sad. :( I just saw it tonight. Overall a great movie though...Just be warned...you will cry.

I was going to be novel and say "PS, I Love you," but I see that's already been mentioned ...... so I'll just add my two cents, talk about a tear-jerker!! :(

I wish I could think of more (that haven't already been mentioned), but I can't. Maybe I'll come up with something later .... :p

The first ones to come to mind are

old school movies:

Breakfast at Tiffany's
The way We Were
West Side Story

Terms of Endearment

Absolutely cannot watch Dumbo or Bambi.:(

Old Yeller
Where the Red Fern Grows

I guess it comes down to seeing any animals hurt or in jeopardy. I also cannot watch most animal documentaries:eek:

I read "Where the Red Fern Grows" a few years ago. A lady at the book exchange had seen me walking my two little dogs and said, "Oh, if you have two little dogs you'll LOVE this book!"

ME: It's not sad, is it? I can't take any more sad dog books.

Book Exchange Lady: No, it's really uplifitng!

ME: I remember that book being assigned to one of the 5th grade classes at my elementary school and everyone seemed really sad about it.

BEL: No, really, it's so great! Just read it!

So I read it and felt like someone just tore my heart out! Curse you, Book Exchange Lady!

Old Yeller, too - that one kills me. And "To Kill a Mockingbird." I watched part of "My Dog Skip" and I think that ended in tears, too...

Has anyone said Seven Pounds? I don't cry over movies - (unless it's about animals) - and I was sobbing for 10 minutes at the end of that one.
Erin

Erin, I just watched this two nights ago and it is still hanging with me!! So sad... Just the idea in general! To have to lose the one you love twice!

Angie - I know! It's the kind of movie that you think about for a few days (or weeks). It's such a great movie though.
Erin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.