to fellow vegans

I know I've seen the trailer! So far it is not coming near me but I hope it does! And then there is always waiting for the DVD!

I must say that 27 pages in I am still learning!!!

Vegan shoes?????????? Never even knew they existed. I thought all good running and workout shoes were made with leather uppers.

And I'm very happy to see that 27 pages in no one has truly flamed anyone. I LOVE to learn and spend quite a lot of time reading and researching in the library. My latest fascination is genetics ( due to my boys' health problems) but it looks like my library card will be filled with more vegan info books

THANKS for this great post!!!!!

ellie

Katerchen, even IF the animals were actually raised in a humane manner, I have a few issues with meat/dairy/animal products:

*DISCLAIMER* These are my views and in no way am I trying to tell a non-vegetarian how to live.:)

1) Raising animals for food increases our carbon footprint on the environment. A lot of grain and resources go into raising food animals, which could be eaten directly by humans. Raising animals for food also produces an incredible amount of greenhouse gasses. Eating less meat and dairy reduces our carbon footprint.

2) I have a problem with animal slaughter and I don't think that animal slaughter is regulated or conducted in any "humane" way. Nearly all animals raised for food, whether it is for meat, dairy, or eggs, are slaughtered.

3) I just plain old don't like meat, just like some people don't like Brussell sprouts or cabbage.

Slight hijacking. There was a radio segment on about the huge influx of ticks and the dreaded increase of Lymes that goes with it, and part of the problem is there aren't very many backyard farmers any longer with chickens to eat up these little buggers. They went on to say that one chicken can eat up to 30,000 bugs a day. I wish our neighborhood would allow us to have a few, because I'd much rather have a few pet chickens over having to debug ourselves every time we come in from outside.

Just to add, we grew up on a very small farm. We had a few chickens, ducks, and pheasants. They were just kept as pets, although we did eat the unfertilized chicken eggs, but never butchered them. I wish my children could have been a part of that lifestyle. I do think as consumers, we should all start buying from local farms.

Erin two things...first I think you could make vegan edible underwear out of pureed fruit that is dehydrated :p 2nd I so agree with the carbon footprint and also the slaughter. My cousin wrote an article about a slaughter house and they had interviewd people that said not all the cows are stunned when they come through the line. There is no way they could keep up with all the cows they do and stop the line if one is still awake. So they just do their jobs. One is to remove the hooves. then, well you get the picture.

The article is on her blog veg i dea. It is called "The Wickedness of Man"

http://hubpages.com/hub/Veg-I-Dea

That is the link to her blog. The article is towards the end if you would like to read it.

My SIL's sister had a dispute with her neighbor last year over building too close to their property line, so she built a small chicken coop right near her neighbors bedroom window and purchased the biggest rooster she could find. I guess he starts screeching around 4:00 a.m. and continues his song throughout the day. :eek:

That article is so disturbing. I swear, man is a plague on the planet. We are the only species that does that and for the sole purpose of satisfying our gluttony. It's really quite shameful.

NY25 I know I was kind if traumatized by the article. It made my daughter go veg though so it is important for people to read!!

I got this off of the blog veg i dea...I thought it was fitting to post here...kind of shows you all animals are beautiful and you can't judge a book by It's cover!!

tikoman1 says:
3 days ago

Many people have a strong dislike for crows. They are loud and people find them annoying. Recently, I saw a baby crow crying in a tree. It's proud mother hopped over and offered the baby some food. This sparked my interest and I wanted to learn more about our loud feathered creatures. You may be surprised at what I came to discover. It may change your view on these amazing birds.

CROWS:

"Crows are very intelligent and live in family units where all members of the extended family care for all the babies born with the unit. They are also protective of all the other crows in the family pod. They readily accept other adult and baby crows into the group. Crows visit their aging parents many years after they have left the nest."

"Crows respond to grounded adults; they try to coax them to return to their higher lofts by cawing and diving at the grounded bird. This activity is frequently misinterpreted by humans as attacks on the helpless bird."

"Crows are social and protective of their species, they will accept a baby not even related to their family. Healthy crow fledglings can be introduced to ANY crow family pod and will be accepted, fed, and protected as one of their own."

WE SHOULD BE SO LUCKY!!!

This might start a whole new debate, but what the hey...let's see how big we can make this thread: :p

My daughters are 14 and 10.5, both huge animal lovers. Neither are vegetarian, though the younger one has veg tendencies.

They are accutely aware of every single thing I do. My adoption of the vegan lifestyle has not gone unnoticed, and they've started asking questions.

I answer honestly, but I don't give big speeches nor go into detail. The 14 y/o knows I've seen ugly film footage of factory farms, though again...no details. She clearly knows something isn't right, but she won't come out and ask, "Well, what exactly do they do to the animals?" All I have said to both of them is, "Many animals aren't treated well at all. They are abused and they suffer, and that needs to change." I believe the 14 y/o knows in her heart that if she sees some of the evidence, it will disturb her enough to feel obligated to change her diet, and she just isn't ready for that.

What if one or both asks to see some of the video footage that's out there? Or wants to know exactly what happens to cows, pigs, etc? I honestly have no desire to push veganism on anyone, and I certainly don't want to upset my kids with images of animal abuse (the 10 y/o will have nightmares). I recognize this is my path.

In addition, DH tolerates what he teasingly calls my "fringey" behavior. (Again, he's teasing, but still...) If one or both girls declared they were going to adopt the vegetarian or vegan diet/lifestyle, I'm sure he'd get pretty darn mad at me. Since I'm the only (new) vegan he knows, he has no experience with long term, healthy, fit vegans. Plus it's so foreign to him. Any time I do something that is way out of his comfort zone, he needs time to adjust. He has no choice with me though...I'm a grown woman. The kids are obviously viewed differently.

I've always been honest with them, but in this case, honesty may buy me a whole lot of trouble.

Last edited:
My boys 10 3/4 and 8 this week have been vegan from birth. We've talked some about animal cruelty in answer to questions, but I don't think at those ages I would be comfortable giving them any visuals. I answer questions honestly when asked, but offer nothing in addition.

This baseball season has been interesting because they actually have a couple teammates who can't have dairy/egg due to allergies. The one kid loves me because I bring muffins to the picnics that he can actually eat - like a whole plate full. :D He's very excited that I'm bringing vegan cupcakes for my youngest birthday to practice this week, as he's never had a cupcake in his life. The boys have always felt like they were the odd guys out, so being around someone who, although he eats meat, also doesn't eat dairy and eggs, has been a plus for them.

I always find it interesting when people say they spend a lot of time defending being vegan. I'm at 21 years vegan now, and I don't recall ever having to do that. I recognized early on that having conversations about it with some people is pointless, so unless I can tell someone has a genuine interest, I don't waste my time, and truly, it's been years since I've even met someone I thought would act that way. From what I can tell, no one I come in contact with cares the least bit what I eat or what I choose to buy.

On another note, we are having an earlier and heavier than usual tick season here, so maybe I should talk to the neighbor about letting his chickens run around in our natural fenced backyard all day and then we'll catch them and put them all back in their coop at night. Chickens get free time and maybe I'll find less ticks wandering around my house. ;)

OK, I'll chime in and help make this A Great Big Thread!

I've been enjoying this thread all along and I'm ready to bid the very minute Kathryn gets those vegan edible undies up on eBay! ;)

I too was a little taken aback with Cathe's joining up with EB. If it gets more Cathe into more homes and increases the fitness level of more people - all good. But, like others, I guess I wish she'd teamed up with something I could get behind and really support - peanut butter would have worked just fine!

You can also count me among the many who, some years ago, was what I now call a Junk Food Veggie. It really is possible to make yourself sick, and fat being a vegetarian - especially if you follow my lead and eat 1/2 pound of white flour pasta soaked in butter and coated with a blizzard of grated romano. No wonder I was so fat and exhausted.

I can't remember when I went back to meat. Maybe betweeen kids. And my nutrition journey has certainly been as long and winding as my physical fitness journey. Of course they're intimately connected but it's taken me all this time to really Get That.

Now I feel myself circling around again and feeling my veggie tendencies. Now I'm about to merge households and cooking activities with DF and his two sons - all of whom are meat eaters. It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds but I'm given hope by all the posters who follow their own path while at the same time embracing their favorite meat-eaters!

My own DS is a vegetarian although he does drink milk. This for him is just preference, he never liked meat, fish, chicken, eggs although all have been offered.

I also have a 14 yo DD who is a big meat eater. I'd love to have her diet improve and I do what I can when I have her but.... she does have to make some choices on her own. I know this is a prime age for a lot of girls to come to that realization of just where their burgers are coming from. I think, in her case I would hesitate to show graphic scenes of slaughterhouse activity. If she asked, I'd tell her. But, for right now I do feel she's just not quite mature enough. Lori, I think you might want to hold off if you feel she's not ready.

All this info is out there, folks will find it in their own time.

DF sometimes has neighborhood chickens in his yard. I've wondered about having a few ourselves, there's plenty of room. But I have to pace myself here. I've been thinking about using all his land for fostering barn-size critters, there's a feral cat program in the area.......

Thanks to all for your thoughtful posts and sharing of experiences and opinions - this is a most excellent thread! :D

I have three children - ages 12, 12, and 10. My 12 yr Daughter is a vegetarian for about a year now. She's always been an animal lover and after spending some time on a farm last summer and caring for the animals there - she just wasn't going to eat meat again. My DH went vegetarian along with me and my daughter about the same time.

I've tried vegan but haven't quite figured out how to make it work for me. I do eat a lot of vegan meals - but am not a vegan.

My two boys (12 and 10) are meat eaters but they eat vegetarian at home.

Personally - I would not show any movies or pictures about factory farming to my children even if they ask to see them. I would just say they are too intense for children. They are used to us limiting movies they can watch so this is not an issue for them. I speak in general terms and don't give a lot of details.

My DD doesn't fully understand everything that is happening to animals and at her age, I don't think she needs to. She does know that the dairy and eggs we purchase are done with care and consideration for the animals. She also doesn't wear leather. Someday I suspect she will be vegan. For now - I try to let her think it through on her own.

Thankfully my DH is on board - what convinced him was a long car ride to Ohio last summer when I practically read all of The China Study to him. :)

Cathy, I love that you're making cupcakes possible for your son's friend. That really made me smile. :)

Suzanne, I've read that many vegans refuse to cook for the omnivores in the house, but I just can't do that. After 15.5 years of cooking for DH and the kids, I can't just up and say, "Nope. Sorry guys. You're on your own!" I'm relieved when I hear of others like me who are standing in the kitchen thinking, "Okay. How do I navigate this?" :D

Thankfully my DH is on board - what convinced him was a long car ride to Ohio last summer when I practically read all of The China Study to him.
This made me laugh out loud!! I can just picture my husband trapped in the car with me and The China Study. I'd bring Skinny B*tch for good measure. :p

Thank you, ladies, for the advice about my daughters. My instincts definitely tell me to proceed very carefully. They tend to mimic nearly everything I do (they're even Cathe fans!), but in this case, the subject matter might be too intense for them. I'll have to find a good halfway point. They are already aware of animal testing and encourage me to make an effort to avoid product lines that test on animals. That's a good beginning.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.