to fellow vegans

ITA!
(though you wouldn't be the only vegan in the world, sweetie...I'd be right there with you.;)).

Yay! Vegan solidarity!

Using animals for food for survival is one thing. Continuing to use animals for food when we have the choice not to is something I have a hard time understanding at times. I know much of it has to do with tradition, and habit, and acquired tastes and preferences, but I still sometimes feel like I've been dropped on a planet of aliens whose ways and customs are hard to understand.

Me, too. Especially when we have such delicious cupcakes on Planet Vegan.

Regarding the defense of the vegan diet, I run into this now and then with DH. I don't mind discussing why I'm doing what I'm doing, but sometimes our "discussion" turns into a smack down. He has a medical background that includes interpreting studies, so he can throw all kinds of scientific facts at me, leaving me defenseless.

What's worse is that so far he refuses to read anything I find on the matter, like studies mentioned in The China Study or the links Carola provided. To be honest, though, I suspect that even if he read them, he'd poke holes in them. He's quite good at that.

So I keep quiet. I don't bring it up with anyone ~ it's no one's business what I eat. DH told his parents that I'm now avoiding animal products, and I got kind of ticked at him. Now I'm going to have to "explain" myself at the next BBQ when I could have just quietly enjoyed some pasta. Grr.

Regarding the defense of the vegan diet, I run into this now and then with DH. I don't mind discussing why I'm doing what I'm doing, but sometimes our "discussion" turns into a smack down. He has a medical background that includes interpreting studies, so he can throw all kinds of scientific facts at me, leaving me defenseless.

What's worse is that so far he refuses to read anything I find on the matter, like studies mentioned in The China Study or the links Carola provided. To be honest, though, I suspect that even if he read them, he'd poke holes in them. He's quite good at that.

So I keep quiet. I don't bring it up with anyone ~ it's no one's business what I eat. DH told his parents that I'm now avoiding animal products, and I got kind of ticked at him. Now I'm going to have to "explain" myself at the next BBQ when I could have just quietly enjoyed some pasta. Grr.

Lori, when I am confronted by a person vehement on arguing about why a vegan diet is not healthy/nutritious I back off unless the person really has an open mind. This tack usually works for me - I ask the person if their diet is perfectly healthy. Over 90% of those who are not vegan will say no because they eat too much red meat or indulge in fries or have a weakness for ice cream or whatever. So I say - well you dont eat healthy and in your opinion I dont either and a healthy diet seems a theoretical possibility rather than reality, so why argue?

DH told his parents that I'm now avoiding animal products, and I got kind of ticked at him. Now I'm going to have to "explain" myself at the next BBQ when I could have just quietly enjoyed some pasta. Grr.

Why do you have to explain yourself? I wouldn't. Enjoy a BBQ tofu steak and have a merry time.

Vee, I'll have to remember that.

Last night, DH started asking questions again, and I stopped it by saying, "Listen, I'm not forcing this on you. This is what I want to do, so just accept it."

At one point, he said, "I can't accept it," and I bust out laughing. How does me not putting Parmesan cheese on my pasta affect him? :rolleyes:

Edit: Beavs, I agree. Which is why I plan on shutting any "vegan" discussion down and quickly changing the subject. Knowing my inlaws, they'll be way more gracious than DH is about it. :D

Calm down, everyone.

I think deciding not to purchase Cathe products because of her association with Eggland is going too far. How many products exist out there that may be associated with something we do not agree with? Even some of the medication that we use have been produced by using animals. Believe me, I love animals and can't stand the fact that animal abuse exists in this world but, it's a fact. Cathe has just made a business decision and what the company does has nothing to do with Cathe. Why make her pay for something she really doesn't have any control over?

C'mon, Cathe has provided quality videos like no other fitness professional out there. She has helped many of us reach our fitness goals, why punish her? As for me, I will continue to buy anything she produces because of the quality, professionalism, and expertise in her workouts.

No offense to anyone - just my opinion - give her a break!!

Sounds like your DH enjoys a little healthy debate, Lori. I hope he's not seriously making it hard for you to be a vegan.

I personally find pasta without Parmesan cheese very troubling. ;)

Is anyone interested in a 'vegans/vegetarians who exercise' check in? I would love to have more discussion about this topic - I've had a hard time eating vegan and getting the right foods for my workouts in the past. I would love to hear more about what everyone here is eating, your exercise and weight/fat loss goals.

I think a check-in would be great. Since the start of this conversation, I've subscribed to Vegetarian Times and I'm very excited about it. I've found switching to an almost vegetarian diet (I still eat some seafood), to be quite easy and CRAZY DELICIOUS!!! I'm still eating dairy, but I split between regular and soy milk (especially since I've discovered the joy of San Pellegrino!) and I use lots of cheese varietals. But I'm loving being veg - I sure feel better. I'm very exciting because tonight it is a mediterranean quinoa salad! YUM!!! I would love to continue this conversation in a separate forum. Great idea, Cindi!

I think deciding not to purchase Cathe products because of her association with Eggland is going too far. How many products exist out there that may be associated with something we do not agree with? Even some of the medication that we use have been produced by using animals. Believe me, I love animals and can't stand the fact that animal abuse exists in this world but, it's a fact. Cathe has just made a business decision and what the company does has nothing to do with Cathe. Why make her pay for something she really doesn't have any control over?

I think it depends how strongly you feel about something. I know I wouldn't want to put my money toward an organization affiliated with something I don't agree with. Personally, I won't shop at Walmart but many of my friends do and that is their business.

I think deciding not to purchase Cathe products because of her association with Eggland is going too far. How many products exist out there that may be associated with something we do not agree with? Even some of the medication that we use have been produced by using animals. Believe me, I love animals and can't stand the fact that animal abuse exists in this world but, it's a fact.

Yes. But like all other forms of injustice, it is precisely that "fact" of its existence that is so objectionable. I tilt at many of these factual windmills, like racism and sexism and violent crime.

Cathe has just made a business decision and what the company does has nothing to do with Cathe. Why make her pay for something she really doesn't have any control over?

The company didn't USED to have anything to do with Cathe. Now they are business partners, and she will be advertising and, in effect, selling their product.

I don't care what Cathe eats or buys, or what she tells her friends to try - like others have said, the only Cathe products I ever cared about were the workouts, which I totally love. But I choose not to support companies that promote cruelty to animals (this includes killing and eating them, as well as just torturing them for medical experiments). Unfortunately, due to her partnership and her encouragement of the public at large to consume eggs, that now includes Cathe/SNM.

Cathe absolutely has control over whether she enters into business partnerships to promote animal products!

Anyway, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I am just trying to be clear. I KNOW that most of you think this is "going too far". I KNOW that vegans are a minority. I know you think that maybe vegans are just a little bit crazy.

I just think there's no acceptable reason to torture chickens, even if you think eggs are a terrific protein source (I'm not accusing Cathe of personally torturing any chickens, mind). So I object to the partnership.

I think a check-in would be great. Since the start of this conversation, I've subscribed to Vegetarian Times and I'm very excited about it. I've found switching to an almost vegetarian diet (I still eat some seafood), to be quite easy and CRAZY DELICIOUS!!! I'm still eating dairy, but I split between regular and soy milk (especially since I've discovered the joy of San Pellegrino!) and I use lots of cheese varietals. But I'm loving being veg - I sure feel better. I'm very exciting because tonight it is a mediterranean quinoa salad! YUM!!! I would love to continue this conversation in a separate forum. Great idea, Cindi!

Vegetarian Times is a great magazine. They have terrific recipes and also keep you up-to-date on lots of veg issues. It's one of the few magazines I actually end up reading and using - worth the subscription!

I think a check-in would be great. Since the start of this conversation, I've subscribed to Vegetarian Times and I'm very excited about it.
Check out VegNews. I like them much better than VT, whose subscription I've allowed to run out.

I've subscribed to VT off and on for the past 33 years, from the time they were printed with something like brown paper covers, in black and white, with not very many visuals. They've evolved from a mag dealing with all aspects of vegetarianism, to a one that's more focused on recipes and appealing to a more mainstream audience.

Check out VegNews. I like them much better than VT, whose subscription I've allowed to run out.

I've subscribed to VT off and on for the past 33 years, from the time they were printed with something like brown paper covers, in black and white, with not very many visuals. They've evolved from a mag dealing with all aspects of vegetarianism, to a one that's more focused on recipes and appealing to a more mainstream audience.

I love VegNews, but VT has improved lately I think (I ended up buying a sub from one of those door-to-door people to get rid of him). VT is more recipe-oriented, but I'd say that 60-75% of the recipes now are vegan or easily veganized, so I'm pretty happy with it these days.

Amy

Kathryn, did you see the recent VegNews with the article advising readers to talk about vegan food without using words like "faux" "fake" "analog" "mock", etc. I've thought before that doing that implies that vegan food is strange and unappealing, or even imaginary. And it's true that there's no reason that the word "milk" should automatically mean cows' milk (and not human milk, or rat milk, coconut milk etc.) We already say peanut butter, so "butter" also shouldn't have to mean dairy butter. Same with "meat" too (from the Old English "mete"--originally it meant food, something that wasn't a drink, and we already use it: coconut meat, wheat meat, etc).

Since language shapes our reality (and vice versa), the way we use these words contributes to peoples' feelings that animal products are normal and therefore good and that non-animal foods are divergent and therefore bad.

I seem to use coconut as an example a lot, and I think I know why...the new coconut ice creams are so delicious and decadent (I've had Coconut Bliss and the So Delicious kind--various flavors of each brand). These ice creams are definitely not trying to be like anything else; they are their very own (incredibly delicious) thing. :)

Amy

Amy

MMMMmmmm Amy I'll have to try the coconut ice creams!! U love tofutti ice cream but I'm not real crazy about rice dream or other rice ones. Looking forward to trying coconut!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.