Lurker Invitations March Check-In

Mornin Everyone,

Today was Disk 14 legs in the STS series. OMG! I'm still feeling DOM's from Disk 13, chest, shoulders and triceps. Tomorrow I will feel this in my legs, shoot, I already feel them! Love this series. While I was in my hot tub, a hummingbird told me he was hungry. I got out and put up the hummingbird feeders.

Laura, WOW! You are doing great on your workouts. Have fun over Easter, and enjoy the beautiful sites with your friends and family.

Michelle, 70 degrees! You enjoy it while it lasts. I bet it is beautiful walking in that. My Marcy Smith Machine is a strength system that allows you to do many gym workouts. It also has a spotter for when you do bench presses, squats...Love how much weight you can use and not drag it over your head. It allows you to go heavy.

Shoegal, Good choice on ME. Fantastic workout. DH are something aren't they. Hey, I have to admitt though, that sometimes I say stupid things like that to my hubby too. (head bowing down). Enjoy your wine and cheese.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Last edited:
Check in 3/12/09 - Thursday

Hello girls:

Today is my older brother's birthday. Happy Birthday Ray. He won't see this - but I'm sending my good wishes out to him - don't usually call on his birthday - but will probably celebrate on Sunday with entire family. My family all gets together every Sunday so we do all birthdays then.

MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!!!!! :D I am so excited to announce (aren't I dramatic?) that I was able to successfully perform the 5th combination from Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge II. I'm not saying that I did it well - and to be honest I wasn't even sure what I was doing but I was doing it. I also got over myself and modified! I was so certain that I could do everything that I jumped right in and tried to add this turn in past workouts - I decided against that this time. It worked out well - I still don't think I'm perfect - it doesn't seem to flow that well but I'm confident now I can figure it all out. Also did first workout from Core Max. Had to stop early since wine and cheese time was creeping up on me.

Wine & cheese were good - but the evening unfortunately was not. I came away from my triumphant workout to have my date and DH and I had some words and it took less than an hour for things to completely go downhill. I don't even know what happened there. :confused:

Janie - I don't know what a smith machine is either?

Michelle - Glad that Ripken has you back. I can't believe all your spring flowers are in bloom. Mine are pushing the surface but are a ways from actually blooming. I love the spring too. About Kick Max - I have this but have not done it yet. I really don't like kickboxing - I find it boring. What are your impressions?

Laura - sounds like you had a lovely morning yesterday and a great workout!! Good job. I really love that you take advantage of the outdoors. Sometimes the cold can be invigorating.

Hope everyone is well and having a great day.

Good afternoon everyone,

Thanks ElleP and everybody else, for welcoming me to your check-in! I know I skipped 2 days!!!! I had internet connection issues, but it’s all cleared up now. On Tuesday, I did Kickmax sans the leg drills, but followed up with the SJP weights add-on. Yesterday, was SJP abs and planks, with a 30-minute interval run. This morning, was KPC (no abs) followed by a 45-minute brisk walk at lunch. The walk wasn’t necessary, but I had plenty of energy, so I thought “why not”?

Janie, I was actually born in Suriname, but moved to the US at the age of 6. And some of my family still lives here. Everyone speaks English here as a second language, so it’s not too difficult to adjust. The flooding in 2006 affected the people living in the interior (towards the south) more than anyone else. I live near the capital city, an area which runs along the northern coast. The city was recently flooded for about a day, but the water receded rather quickly without a lot of damage. Where I live, which is 20 minutes away, we don’t experience any flooding at all. (Thank God for that). Brazil is #1 on my list of countries to visit (it's so HUGE though), so when the ball gets rolling, I will let you know. And will that be your first grandchild? Congratulations!

Shoegal, good work on Lo Max; great for the lower body, especially using an 8-inch step. The 7 blasts were too much for me when I first did that DVD. I split them up: 1-4 first, then 4-7 later in the week, etc…Butts & Guts SOUNDS great so far ;). I’ll let you know. And LOL about your DH’s electrical book: aren’t men something?! But, sorry to hear about your argument yesterday :(.

Laura, you get a pat on the back for your hiking yesterday! Plus, a reformer workout after? You must feel very accomplished! Working outdoors is great, isn’t it?

Have a great Thursday evening everyone, and an even better Friday!

Good Afternoon,

Chiquita, Love the name. This will be our 4th grandchild. They should be calling me any day now. She is such a small person, I can't see her going full term. Brazil is a huge place, hope you get a chance to go there.

Shoegal, My Marcy Smith Machine is a contraption that spots you when you do very heavy weight lifting. Chest presses, squats...I don't know what I'd do without one.
Have fun with your family Sunday for your brothers birthday.

Buy Marcy machine Fitness Equipment at BizRate

This link will help you understand. There are pictures to see what I'm talking about.

Janie

So today was GS Back, Shoulders, & Biceps, & Core Max Segment #2, which I have to say is not my favorite core routine of Cathe's. I find I spend most my time trying to manage the ball and I don't really feel like I can get into the abs. Then I skied with my family for an 1:30, very moderately. But my girls love to ski the trees and do jumps which I don't care for. I ended up wrapped around a tree on one jump. Luckly not hurt , just a little tender behind the left knee. Total calories burned today 989. :D

Eating so far so good. Only at 539 calories before dinner. I have lost 2 1/2 pounds. Which doesn't seem like a whole lot but at least it is going in the right direction, I now way less than before X-mas.

No time for personals now, maybe I can come back latter tonight.

Check in 3/13/09 Friday

Hello -

I completed Supersets yesterday evening. My - but the time just absolutely flew by - I love that workout. I wonder if they have a premix that is a little longer - I didn't feel like it was enough. And later that same evening went out and took a walk - the pups traveled along as well - going up the hills made my heart pump and as always that felt nice.

Yesterday I wasn't so terrible eating wise - but I shouldn't have had the wine I had. I was ok there initially but decided on a second glass. Yes - I am off that wagon yet again. It is very very unstable up there but I have climbed back up once more.

Chiquita - I had a room mate in the army who had your name. I thought it was so unique and different - especially since her first, middle and last night all began with a "C". Really sounds as if you are on track with your workouts! Great variety.

Laura - Congrats on the 2 1/2 lbs lost!!! It should be a small loss over time, otherwise you are doing it wrong. Your description of being wrapped around a tree gives me a rather funny visual. Glad your not hurt too badly.

Janie - a contraption is right - it is huge. Where do you keep it?? Wanted to say congratulations on your new grandchild - might be here now - so I thought I might as well get my good wishes in.

Hope everybody else is well out there and that it is a good weekend for all. :D

Yesterday I took a break. I was really feeling the joys of Kick Max from 2 days prior. I'm not graceful at the kickboxing--in fact I feel downright awkward, but you sure do feel the benefits of the workout for a few days. Today I did GS Chest and Triceps and then Core Max workout 2. I did 4 weeks with slow and heavy and now I'm shifting over to the GS dvds for 4 weeks. I hope my arms survive. I could only do 12 straight leg push-ups and then had to go to the knees. Still not easy to do all those push-ups using the knee option. My arms were quivering through the whole workout. If it's not challenging then what is the point, right? Not sure that Workout 2 from Core Max is the best follow-on to a GS arms workout, but it's done.

Janie that Smith Machine is huge. Good golly did you have to assemble it?
Hope you enjoy visiting with your new grandchild.

Chiquita--I see that you did Kick Max on Tuesday too. How are your legs feeling? I did the leg drills, but it wasn't easy and then I could barely move. Took a little while to unhinge the tightness in my legs after those drills. But I'm hoping those drills will help my kickbox form.

Laura: sounds like you are doing great. If you keep burning calories like you have been everyday, you'll be dropping pounds left and right.

Looks like a rainout weekend here in Virginia. It's okay, we need the rain. If I give Ripken a bath, it will pour for sure. Hope everyone has a great Friday evening.
~michelle

Good Afternoon,

I did gardening today; lots of shoveling dirt into containers, cutting off dead branches on the raspberry bushes and planting two more raspberry bushes. I spent about two hours in the garden and burned approximately 472 calories. At least it's in the ball park figure. Tomorrow is STS disk 15, Back and Biceps. I also have to plant all the new strawberry plants or lose them. I'll be doing that tomorrow. It hasn't rained for a few days and the soil is ready to get those plants in. After tomorrow there will be lots of rain coming. I still have to plant asparagus, but where I want to plant them, the garden is still frozen. I'll have to wait on them. I think they will survive, they are very hardy roots right now.

Our Marcy Smith machine is huge. We have dedicated a room just for it. Along with the treadmill and the stair machine. We can open the door and here Cathe describe what she wants us to do when it comes to pull ups and or whatever exercise we need to do that will involve heavy weight lifting. There is a spotter built into the machine, so that's cool too. My Joey assembled it. The other room we have to exercise in and do Cathe, cardio, yoga, floor work... is the theater room. It works out just fine the way we have both rooms.

Thanks for the good wishes on our 4th grandchild. It could be between now and the end of this month (my prediction) before our little fella will be here. Can't wait!

Michelle, I'm the same way you are with the Kick boxing routines. Just don't do it enough to remember them. Your routines/rotations sounds like you are doing great.

Shoegal, I'm sure glad there is a wagon to get back on. I'm the same way, I think we just have to never give up no matter what. I'm really bad at beating myself up about it. I really shouldn't do that. Hang in there, it will get better. Sounds like you are doing great anyway.

Laura, You are still skiiing? How wonderful! Enjoy it while it lasts. Looks like you are in control of your eating. That's great.

Talk again with you all later.

Janie

Happy Saturday, ladies:

Friday was Muscle Max without the band leg presses; my band is torn. I did the “band” triceps with 5-lb. weights, which did a pretty good job. I caved and joined the local gym earlier this week, so this morning I did the 30-minute cross-training preset on the treadmill (a few hills, running, jogging and walking). It was TOUGH, especially when the incline increased to 15%!!! :eek:I never thought a half-hour could last that long. But I felt great afterwards.

Laura, 2.5 pounds lost is fabulous no matter how you slice it! I just went down 2 lbs last week when I took two days off instead of the usual one day off, so it was a welcome surprise.

Janie, good luck with your gardening. I help my parents with that stuff, SOMETIMES…lol! Now, you’ve got me craving some steamed asparagus with a “hint” of butter….hmmmm. Some of the fruit trees we planted almost 5 years ago have yet to give fruit, but most of them started bearing fruit about 2 years ago. And the rain always helps.

Shoegal, Supersets and Push Pull seem like beginner workouts when done as produced. However, the 2x and 3x premixes do the job much better, IMHO. My dogs will walk with me, but once I start running, they just stop and stare…lol! After 5 minutes, I lose my motivation to run and just keep walking. :cool:

Michelle, I did Kickmax without the drills, so it was really the cardio blasts that got to me; I don’t do them very often…I’m scared..lol. But I know how you feel…my legs get fried with those drills, too. However, they do improve flexibility, so definitely worth it.

Good afternoon, ladies. 'Till next time...

Just a quick post. Just got done with PowerMax. That sure is a fun step workout. I've got some good DOMS going from my GS C&T workout yesterday.

Nice steady rain here in Virginia. No yard work this weekend. Janie, it sounded like you guys are going to be getting a bunch of rain and or snow out there in Washington. The whole country seems to be in need of precipitation. I like mine in the liquid form.

Chiquita: those cardio blasts on kick max did me in, too. Sometimes I think that Cathe must have springs in her legs.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
~Michelle

Hi Everyone,

I was very busy yesterday so didn't post. However I did workout. I did a 3 mile run, with a five minute warmup & 10 minute cool down. I also did an advanced mat pilates workout. Both felt great.

Today was GS Legs. Holy Cow those slow motion lunges in the end really get me. I have to split them up. two on each side instead of 4 and then I do that again. At least I can make it through them that way.

Michelle your post for the GS Chest & Triceps sounded just like mine from a few days ago. Those drop sets of pushup really do the trick don't they. My arms were quivering too!

Chiquita I love Muscle Max it is one of my favorite work outs for the whole body. Good job on the treadmill.

Janie It sounds like you have designed your house with your fitness goals in mind. Good for you guys to make it such a lifestyle together. Any word on the little bundle of joy? Enjoy your gardening. What a great way to burn calories.

Shoegal man you and I need a new more stable wagon!!!LOL!

Tonight we are going out for a Silent Auction/Dinner at the girls school. My DH bought me a 'bottomless' glass of wine. YIKES! So going to have some,back on the wagon on Sunday.:eek::eek::eek:

A hard day ...

Hi all,

I'm just posting a short note. I lost a beloved four-footed family member yesterday, my paint mare Robin. She would have been 30 in early May, and we'd been together since she was six. She taught me to ride ...

Anyway, I posted a short tribute to her on my blog. She's in a better place now.

And I'm doing okay. I had so many good years with her, and was able to spend all night with her before she died - she left with her son in the pasture near her, and her favorite people with her, gently passing into the next world - how many humans make such a good end? But I'm still very sad, seeing her pasture empty by my window, and I don't feel much like posting anymore.

Take care all and God bless. We get so little time to be with those we love - so important to make the best use of what we get.

Deb aka Shadowpup

Last edited:
Good Evening,

Shadowpup, Oh, I'm so sorry about Robin. I can't even imagine having an animal for that long in life and then being lost forever. Try thinking of wonderful memories. Having her that long is like growing up with her. I'm going to your blog to read your tribute to her. I'm so sorry.

Ladubose (Laura), Your 3 mile run is great! I want to do that someday.

Michelle, You did some great workouts the last couple of days. Good for you. Yes, there is a lot of rain today and more coming. Couldn't plant my strawberries yet. Sure hope I can soon.

Chiquita, You did a great job on your workouts too. We are all doing wonderful and I'm inspired.

Did Disk 15 - Back and biceps:

Lat pulldowns with band
T-Pull with band 12
Y's with band 12
Pull Ups Overhand (modified) 12
Chinups Med. Grip (modified) 12
Chinups (modified) 12
One Arm Row 22#'s 12 reps, then 10 then 8 then To Failure (TF)
Barbell Row 20#'s 12 reps, then 10 then 8 then TF
Deadlifts (barbell) 40#'s 12 reps, then 10 then TF
Barbell Curl 27 #'s 12 reps then 10 then 8 the TF
Seated Alternating Curl 14 #'s each hand, 12 reps then 10 then 8
Preacher Curl on Stability Ball 8 #'s in each hand, 12 reps then 10 then TF

I think I see muscles? Maybe?

Tomorrow is my cardio day and will be doing a Cardio Coach on my treadmill. Don't know which one yet.

Take care everyone, especially you Shadowpup.

Janie

Shadowpup I am so sorry for your loss. How beautiful and special that you could be so present with her for her transition. The price of loving is the potential of losing and we all know it is worth that price. Heavy as it is.

Good Afternoon,

Did Mega Step Blast for 30 min. and burned 208 calories. Didn't feel like Cardio Coach (CC) today.

Laura, Your words of wisdom to Shaodowpup was so kind.

Woke up this morning and had 4 inches of snow on the ground. That is unheard of in my space of the world. It's now snowing and raining. Hopefully it will melt asap. I'm really getting tired of this unusual weather. Can't plant anything yet.

Janie

Shadowpup: our animals are our family and I am so sorry that you have lost a member of yours. You grew up up with Robin and you honored her passing by being with her. It's hard, and I know that you are hurting, but it sounds like you did everything right.

Janie: you've got to love seeing those arm muscles. My DH was telling me that the fashionistas in the Washington Post have been dissing Mrs. Obama because she wears sleeveless shirts and dresses. I say more power to our first lady. The fashion critics probably don't workout regularly and are just jealous of those muscles that she has.

Laura: The forum discussions seem unanimous regarding GS legs and how tough it is. I don't have GS legs so I'm going to be substituting Legs and Glutes--that will be Tuesday's workout.

Today, I did GS back, shoulders and biceps. I had previewed the dvd and written down my weight amounts for each exercise. Found I had to up the weights on a few. Slowly, very slowly, building that strength. One of my colleagues (The 13th SgtMaj of the Marine Corps, retired) told me this week that he wouldn't be surprised if I could do a couple of pull-ups. I don't know about the pull-ups. I've never been able to do one of those. Don't have a pull-up bar either. So, it is something that will have to wait....oh yeah, and I topped off my GS arm workout with Core Max, workout 3.

Enjoy the end of your weekend.
~michelle

Good afternoon,

Yesterday was HSC abs only with Yoga Booty Ballet-Core to top it off. This morning was GS-Legs (a leg-fryer!). I never get used to this workout. Tonight will be a 15-minute bike ride.

Deb, you have my condolences. We have strong attachments to animals because of the unconditional love they give to us. This must be a painful time for you.

Michelle, can't wait till you try those pullups. I think you should at least be able to manage a couple. How hard can they be? ;)

Janie, the weather is crazy everywhere now. Hope that ice melts quickly. Good luck with Cardio Coach today.

Laura, that wagon is wobbly! Lol.

Good afternoon everyone,
Well today was supposed to be a cardio day, but I had to set out a little earlier for work this morning in order to go to a meeting in the Pentagon. So, I switched gears to the Total Body Stretching dvd--all 3 stretches. My arms are really feeling the glow from those GS workouts, so I'm happy for a little break. Back to the cardio tomorrow.

Chiquita: boy, you are much more optimistic about those pull-ups than I am. It would be fun to give it a try though.;)

We are having another cloudy day here in Virginia. At least it is a little bit warmer. We are supposed to get another dump of rain this afternoon and tonight and then dry out and warm-up for a few days. It's feeling like we are about to turn the corner on spring weather.

Tomorrow, we have a St. Patrick's day party here at work. Each division in the company hosts an unofficial holiday party. Last month was Valentine's Day, this month is St Patrick's Day, Bastille Day in July, Halloween in October. I'm missing a couple, but you get the idea. There will be food, games, and friviloty. I'm hoping there is lots of green salad to eat as part of the lunch spread. St. Patrick's Day fare tends to be heavy.

Hope everyone enjoys their day.
~Michelle

Check in March 16, 2009

Shadowpup - I am terribly sorry for the loss of Robin. I always believed that the promise in loving pets is that you know that you will outlive them so you make their lives as wonderful as possible while they are here and you can find comfort in that once they are gone. I agree in that it sounds as if you did everything right. Again - I am very sorry.

Michelle - I wasn't able to do pull ups ever. With that said I kind of just accepted that it would not be possible. But I had put in this P90X dvd workout and listened to a bit of Tony Horton and he said something like don't say you "can't" do them - say you currently struggle with pull-ups but will one day accomplish that. I found that incredibly uplifting - it really gave me hope. So I think you can do them - if you can't currently - one day you will! P.S. I want to work where you work - sounds like great parties.

Janie - I love when I can see my muscles - it is indeed incredibly motivating. I can't believe that you are doing all this gardening now. I was just looking around my yard and found my new rose bush looks as if it has been clipped. Do Deer eat rose bushes? I wouldn't think with all the jaggers.

I have to say that the forum is a great place to help revisit workouts that I have put aside unintentionally. Does anyone else tend to do the same things over and over? I know what my favorites are and I tend to gravitate to them quite frequently. I have the GS workouts but don't do them too often - but all the discussion makes me want to do them again to see what I've been missing. I think I will have to try the GS legs this evening. Chiquita & Laura - this is probably your influence.

I find that not eating between meals is rather tough. I caught myself trying out the potatoes my mother made for dinner on Sunday to see if they were cooked. I had managed to put in 3 samples worth when I caught myself. Opps. I really didn't think. I believe that eating correctly really means not necessarily denying or depriving yourself but being constantly conscious of what you are eating - and making the right choices. Mindless eating will get you into trouble everytime.

I hope everyone is in good spirits and has a lovely day.

Good Evening,

Have been doing great on eating. Here is what I did today with my STS disc 16-Chest, Shoulders & Triceps, Meso 2, 2nd week.

Incline Bench Press Barbell 27#'s 12 reps Twice

Incline Bench Press Barbell 40#'s 12 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps then TF with 27#'s

Incline Fly (rotate Pinky) 2 dumbells 16#s in ea. hand 12 reps then 10 then 8 then TF with 10#'s in ea. hand

Flat Bench Press (barbell) 40#'s 12 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps then TF with 25#'s

Standing Barbell Front Press 27#'s 12 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps then TF with two dumbells 8#'s in ea. hand

Standing Lateral Raise two dumbells in ea. hand 9#'s 12 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps the TF with 6#'s in ea. hand

Seated Rear Delts with dumbells in ea. hand 13#'s 12 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps then TF with 8#'s in ea. hand

Flat Bench Tricep Extensions with two dumbells in ea. hand 9#'s 12 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps then TF with 6#'s in ea. hand

Side Leaning One Arm Overhead Extensions on Ball with 1 dumbell 9#'s 12 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps then TF 6#'s

Kickbacks One Arm 1 dumbell 9#'s 12 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps then TF 6#'s

Shoegal, Deer love Rosebushes. When we first put in our garden(and rose bushes) many years ago we learned a lesson. We put in a huge garden without a fence. The deer ate, in one night, about half our crop. We thought if we put in a bright light maybe they would go away. Thinking that they can't hide in the bright light. The next day they ate the rest of our garden. Seems they saw very well what was there and ate it. LOL! The next year (from our experience), we used a mesh fence. Haven't had a deer problem since. Those deer eat anything if they are hungry enough. They've eaten rhubarb (I understand the leaves are poisonous) that we are growing outside the fence area. They don't eat it all, but I bet when they do, they must get sick. I'm only putting in dormant asparagus raspberries and strawberry right now, if only it would stop raining. Have to wait for a little dry spell so I won't hurt the soil. When it gets a lot more warmer, then will plant tomotoes, cukes... I also gravitate to the same old workouts, until STS. That has been such a Godsend for me. I am seeing muscle!

Michelle, Don't you just love those stretches? WONDERFUL! You have the most interesting job. Love to read about it more in detail. Enjoy your St. Patrick's party at work tomorrow. Hope you are strong enough to resist certain foods. I know you will do just fine. Oh, I can't believe I'm seeing muscles so soon. I still have a lot of flab, but I see the muscles underneath. Soon the flab will be gone, I give it until August of this year. In the meantime, enjoying reaching all my goals.(I hope LOL) Have to stay positive. I love the way our First Lady looks. So darn healthy! I think your right, there is some jealousy there.

Chiquita, I was going to do CC yesterday, but got an older Cathe Step Up "Mega Step Blast" and did 30 min. of it. I love when I can change my mind at anytime. Is What is Yoga Booty Ballet intermediate or advanced? I have heard wonderful things about this workout. Congratulations on you upping your weights. YEAH! Pull ups/chin ups, one day it is a dream of mine to do that. You must be close in doing them if people are noticing how strong you are. Get a pull up bar. You won't regret it.

Talk later, and have a nice rest of the evening,

Janie

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.