Lurker Invitations March Check-In

Hello Ladies,
Happy Sunday! I am quite appy this morning. Maybe it has something to do with the fab new shoes I purchased yesterday at Macys. Here is the link should anyone care or have time to waste :)
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=362380&CategoryID=21828
Nothing you could wear to an office. While they seem high they are FAIRLY comfy due to the platform helping in relieving some of the height.

Eating has been hit or miss. And yes, I have cracked! I supposedly gave up sweets for lent but have cracked three times. A whole box of chocolates on Wednesday, a bowl of Lucky charms last night, and some Oreos on friday. DH was making snorting noises while I ate the cereal last night. I am back on the wagon as of today!! I am really going to try harder. Last night after mass I had the most delicious caprese sandwich, fresh tomatoes, basil, buffalo mozzarella, extra balsamic on fresh backed italian bread. DH has to rain on the parade by asking me where in Tosca Reno's book is my sandwich mentioned as part of the eating clean program.

Ironlady-glad to hear your dad is stable. Sending good vibes his way. Did you get your new step yet? I have a second step as back up. Not that I have worn my first one down as much as you have but couldn't resist the opportunity that presented itself. I got the second one at a yard sale. It came with its own carrying bag for not only the step, but the risers, and the additional yellow strappy bands. Hold on to your hats here ladies, $20.!!!!!! Yep it was brand spanking new other than for some dust and cobwebs.

Laura-Don't knock yourself for what you think is slow jogging. How slow could you have been if you were able to burn 400+ cals in 40 minutes? Pretty darn impressive!! then you do pilates?!! You are quite the warrior!

Shoegal-I love B&G also but it is so hard on the knees for me. I was doing it for a while twice a week but my knees couldn't take it after a while. I think I will start doing it again even though I am doing STS but have to work the lower body at least twice weekly. I will just sub some of the lunging for donkey kickbacks with leg weights and bridges for the hammies & glutes. How I love firewalkers! You have to check out these shoes I mentioned earlier, still chic but not tacky!

Janie-love your post on the other board about the frog and kitty. Just adorable. Your caloric intake, is that your set amount daily. How does one go about figuring out one's caloric intake accurately? I have a general idea but would like to figure it out more accurately. I don't necessarily wanna split hairs, but would like to get a better idea b/c if i am even over or under by 200-300 calories, well that makes a huge difference.

Michelle-70 degress in Virgina sounds beautiful. I wish we could get that in my neck of the woods on a regular basis. I much prefer chillier weather than the heat we get here normally.

shadowpup-glad to hear you are back in the land of the living. Doesn't it feel great??!! After spending several days being out of wack I really appreciate being back to normal. Even the trees outside are greener and I am aware of hawks and other critters in my neighborhood, just beautiful.

Elle-How admirable that after a long day you still find ooomph for an evening workout! But thanks for reminding about basic step, there are days when I just don't want to give it my all but want to do something light to moderate and this sounds like it does the job. Will have to go and dig it out of my shelf!

Well now that was a loooooong post. Off to Barnes & Noble to have cofee and read all the mags I am to cheap to buy! :)

Wishing everyone a beautiful & blessed Sunday.
Booboo

Hi all, I was settling in for a nice long post, but poor DH has the rotten nasty flu thingie, and since I am heading out of town tomorrow afternoon, I'm doing my best to get him to rest at least until then. SO difficult when he keeps thinking of household chores that need doing, and popping up to do them.

But I did read your post, BooBoo. Have to say, I get a real kick out of seeing the shoes that you and ShoeGal can wear. How do you stay upright with something that high??? Clearly I need tutoring, or some maybe a handrail, in shoe matters :eek:

There are a bunch of calorie calculators and I was going to post several that I like - given that I'm riding herd on the unwilling patient I'll stop with just this one:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

It's not just a calculator, it's a collection of articles about how the calculations are made. If you are a measurement junkie as I am, you can learn about that, and if you prefer to just cut to the bottom line, you can do that too :eek:

Last edited:
Good Sunday to you all!

Booboo, yes I got my new step yesterday. I ordered the one with the beginner wo's, now I have 2 copies of LowMax. Maybe I'll give it to my girlfriend as a gift! I didn't have the other 2 wo's and thought they would be great to have when I wanted a lighter wo and don't want to modify so much! I did LowImpact Step and Stretch Max (no equipment) today. Good WO!!! LIC yesterday.

That sandwich sounds Yummy :)

Laura, I'm impressed...after my one and only 1/2 marathon I gave up jogging/running. My knees can't take it anymore! If I do it again I will be power walking! :)

Janie, sorry your DH is down with the flu. Hope your trip is a good one!

I may just have to work B&G in this week after reading all the posts about it.... LOVE that one, too! I think maybe there are WO's that I like less than others but I pretty much Love all of Cathe's wo's.

Shadowpup, glad you are back.
More later ladies! Good evening to you all!

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,
A quick post of my workouts and then joining my family for a Sunday movie. I X-countried this morning for 1 hour 45 minutes and then downhilled with my family for an hour. Beautiful day. I am exhausted now though.

Eating ok. small changes right now is my focus. I ordered a salad as a side for my Cheese Burger:eek: instead of fries.

Shoegal I slipped on my Lent too! I gave up alcohol. Craked last night and had a beer with DH. Today I had an Irish coffee at lunch. :eek::eek:

Great work outs everyone.
Shadowpup have a good trip.

Good evening everyone,
Sorry that I am posting late. I actually got my workout in by 12:30 but then had to shower and pack to leave on a business trip. Did Power Max from Cardio Hits today. That was fun. I think that I could really start loving those Cardio Hit step workouts. The routines are just hard enough to keep you thinking, but really make you sweat.

I'm in Norfolk, VA this week attending a conference at the Marine Forces Command. Tomorrow is supposed to be a weight day for me. Not sure how this is going to work. My colleagues and I will be leaving the hotel at 6:30 am for an early and long day. Should be done by 5 pm. I'm hoping to get at least 30-45 minutes of weight work in at the hotel exercise room before dinner.

Hope everyone has a great week.
~Michelle

Hope everyone has a great week.

Hi ladies,

The last few days of eating weren't so good. Tomorrow is Disk 13, Meso. 2 week 1 of STS. I'll make a promise to myself and get through this month with good eating habits.

You all seem to be in good health this weekend. Hopefully it will carry on into the week and beyond. Great workouts too. I'm proud of you all.

Will talk again after my workout tomorrow and catch up with everyone.

See you then,

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Check in Monday 3/9

Hi Everybody!!!

Well, DH came home on Friday evening. I was ever so glad to see him and it appeared to be mutual. We spent a lovely Saturday together - we did a whole bunch of not so great things but it didn't seem to matter. The honeymoon was over by Sunday when he called when I went visitng to ask me where the magnifying glass and a book were. At one point I said - are you actually accusing me of gathering up all your books and shoving them in remote locations in the house because WHY WOULD I DO THAT??!!??!?!

Ironlady - so happy about your daughter - it is so great to watch ones that you love succeed and move ahead successfully. So big congrats to her. Glad your Dad is improving too.

Laura - I think of myself as something of a runner. In past summers I would go to the high school track and run around and around and around - counting the laps and the miles go by. I did 6 miles once - I only had intended to run 5 but like you said it felt like I could go on and on I just kept going. I haven't done that in quite awhile.

BooBoo - glad you are back and wearing great new shoes!!! Yes - I love those shoes - they are stunning. I'd love to peek in your closet. Glad you are on the mend - or at least feeling better - that is good news. I can't believe you continued to work out - I am impressed too.

Shadowpup - glad you are better - but your husband is ill now??!!? That can be worse. I know my DH is like unbearable sick. I believe that I suck it up but he is overly dramatic.

Michelle - I'm really impressed that you are trying to work out while traveling. I find that to be the hardest thing so give myself a reprieve when I'm away. So good job!!!

Janie - the great thing about slipping up is that you can start anew the very next day. One day doesn't destroy all the hard work you already put in - so you did the right thing by climbing back in the saddle.

Ok - I hear you out there - tough lent this year. I find myself trying to sneak in a grape in the middle of the day - no regular meal in sight. I opened the fridge and it was halfway up to my mouth - and I thought - oh hey - wait a minute - can't eat that now. It is tough.

Shoe report: I would like to announce that I purchased my first pair of Manolo Blahniks on Saturday. :D I can't say I'm all that I'm in love with them - it was just that they were the cheapest pair I could actually afford and there they were. Didn't consider that the style isn't exactly me and I might not want to wear them - but then I thought hey - I'll learn to like them - right? I mean - they're Manolos - that's enough. Will let you know how they fair when I actually wear them.

Workout report: Will do Lo Max tonight - I'll let you all know how that goes.

Have a great day!!!

Hi ladies,
Day one of the conference is history. It had it's good moments and some real snoozer presentations. The worst was right after lunch. Not sure how I stayed awake. Got in 50 minutes of free-weight work in the hotel exercise room. If I can do something everyday, I'll be happy. It's just not like working out with Cathe though. I had to imagine her voice in my head.

The next challenge is not overeating this week. Restaurant food--not easy. I had fruit and a small blueberry muffin for breakfast, a oriental chicken salad with ginger balsamic dressing at lunch, and a banana for a snack. Have to hold the line at dinner.

Shoegal: love lowmax. Wish I was home to do lowmax. Oh well. Hope you have fun with the workout.

Janie: Sounds like we are all struggling with the eating a little. But Scarlett O'Hara was right: Tomorrow is another day.

~michelle

Good Monday Evening,
Not such a great day here today. I feel off that lent wagon last night with the alcohol. It didn't help that an old college friend came by late last night. So today I have been feeling terrible. It so isn't worth it, is it? So back on the wagon today. The worst thing is I always eat so terribly when I am hungover:eek::eek:

So I decided to take an active rest day. I did the whole Stretch Max DVD, Section one of Core Max and a very leisurely walk with pooch and kids. I have been pushing it kind of hard lately so I think it is ok. Trying not to beat myself up to much about it.

Shoegal: I can totally relate to the DH thing. I miss mine so much when we are apart but he drives me crazy when we are together. Hope you had fun with lowmax.

Michelle I am impressed with your discipline. When ever I travel everything goes to pieces. Then again I don't travel for work so it isn't very frequently.. Do your collegeus support you in your efforts or do they try and sabotage your efforts?

Janie I think you have been doing an amazing job with STS. It can't be easy! Hang in there you will get a second wind.

Iron lady I am the one who is impressed! A half-marathon! WOW! Good news I will be getting my check some time soon so I will be on board for STS rotation.:D:D

Shadowpup hope your man is feeling better and thanks for all your tips on the weight loss front. I joined spark people but still feel overwhelmed by the size of it!

Newcomer

Hi ladies,

Hope you don't mind a "newcomer" jumping in right in the middle...I've been lurking for a week now.

I'd like to introduce myself: I'm 28, grew up in the US (from the age of 6), but currently back living in Suriname, South America. I've got a BBA in Management, minored in Industrial Psychology (graduated in 2007). I work as an Assistant Controller at a printing press currently. The move was hard for me, because it's a “developing” country, especially compared to NYC standards. GOD, I miss New York sooo much! But I've come around a bit, working on and off for an employment agency until I find something stable. No kids yet, but want one so very badly! There’s a future DH on the horizon already, so I won’t have too much longer to wait, hopefully. I speak Dutch and English fluently and I've been absorbing French for the past 10 years.

Anyway, LOOOOVVVVEEEEE Cathe (since mid-2004) and I'm looking forward to checking in with you ladies on a regular basis.
Tonight, I did Muscle Max abs, because it's really supposed to be my off day. I own the Body Blast and the Hardcore Series, but want Cardio Fusion and Butts & Gutts (matter of fact, I'm ordering those before the end of the week).

I ate OK today, only cheated with some plantain chips. Other than that, yogurt and apples are a staple in my diet, along with a whole bunch of other good-for-you stuff (and some bad stuff, of course).:eek:

Ladubose, I'm craving your Irish coffee right about now.;)

MdolfiniReed, I admire your courage to workout while traveling. Keep up the good work!

Janie, I love how you stick to your clean eating most of the time. It’s more than I can say for myself.

Ironlady, congrats on your new step; I need one myself right now.

And Shadowpup, I feel you on that shoe thing; I’ve gotten so accustomed to flats and sneakers that I can’t imagine how heels feel right now!

Goodnight ladies, it’s almost 10 where I am and I need to rise at 4:15 to get my workout in.:D

Happy Monday Everyone,
Yesterday i had a very good yoga practice. I think it was because i did not eat very much after napping through most of the afternoon. I was tired from getting home late from my staff party and then getting up early to teach yoga the next morning with the time change. In any case i felt very light and flexible and really enjoyed my practice yesterday.

Tonight's workout: i just finished doing Muscle Endurance. I really like all the leg presses in this one. That was one thing missing from Jari Love's Ripped workouts.

Michelle: I think it's very inspiring that you are still getting in workouts and making sensible food choices while travelling. I find changes in my routine often result in falling off the wagon but the goal is to learn to fit in what you can, when you can.

Ckoverman24: Welcome aboard! You must have snuck in your post while i was typing here! I'm sure you will find this check-in very helpful in keeping you motivated and inspired as everyone is very supportive. Getting up at 4:15am to workout, I admire your willpower! I look forward to getting to know you!

Laura: Doing the whole stretch max DVD is a great workout when you don't feel like doing something too challenging but want to do something.

Shoegal: i can totally relate to the DH stuff. Mine gets mad when i put stuff he leaves around the house away and then he can't find it. Here's a thought: Put it away yourself and then you will know where it is when you need it! He can be such a slob!:p

Janie: Sorry you have had a rough few days with food. I'm sure you will manage to get back on track and finish up March going strong.

Hi fives to everyone else!

Good Evening,

It is snowing out as I write this. Can't believe that we already have about 2 inches of it. Wow. Wasn't able to do our workout today, but will tomorrow. We had unexpected company. Thank goodness for STS, I'm so ready to get back in there and workout hard.

Elle p, Todays food was off. I'll try again tomorrow. Darn. What is the matter with me? ME, oldy but a goody.

Ckoverman24, Welcome aboard. While in Suriname do you have a chance to visit Brazil, since you are kinda sorta near it? I've often wondered what it would be like to visit other countries. Are there still many homeless since the flooding in 2006? Was wondering why you are in this country? I bet it is very interesting. Please tell us more about it. Looking forward to seeing you here with the rest of the gang.

Laura, Why is it that we go off the wagon? Seriously. I'm really disappointed in myself. Oh your right, I can't beat myself up about it. Darn though!

Michelle, Good for you working out in the hotel. Very proud of you. It can't be easy without Cathe.

Shoegal, My mess ups have been unfortunately 3 days now. I don't even want to weigh myself. I will work hard this month on both eating and exercising starting tonight. Jeesh. Thank you for the kind words. How was Low Max?

Janie

Check in Tuesday 3/10

Hello girls -

Well - Lo Max went extremely well - except the parts where I stopped the DVD to see how many intervals there were and when I come back to where I left off Cathe then tells me we are on the third and there are 7 total. Oh- thank you. Somehow or other I have to know. It just seemed to me that on the 4th interval I had been doing the step portion and the blast for such a LONG time that I couldn't still be on that same interval - thought perhaps my mind had wandered off during this portion and when I came too I was further along. No - still the 4th. Also did the 3rd Core Max workout - been awhile since I plugged that in. Liked it a bunch.

I was extremely good eating wise. I didn't even have wine last night and I went to bed right at 11:30 cause I was just so cold. I thought I could stay up later and watch bad tv & shiver or just go to bed. So off I went.

Laura - they wouldn't make wagons if people didn't fall off them!!??! I really think that you had no choice really. Were you supposed to let a good friend drink alone? I think not. At any rate - climb back aboard!

Michelle - Honestly - you are doing really well with your food choices while traveling - sounds like you are very aware of what you are eating and that is super hard in restaurants. I think it is limiting out there - I have myself all set up at home with good food options and sometimes there are only bad choices in restaurants. The menu is so small at home. So good job.

Janie - wish we had snow here. I know everyone is longing for spring but I wanted winter to last a little while.

CKoverman24 - welcome aboard (sounds like this check in is a cruise ship!) - It must be the standard new greeting. We are glad to have you - and I enjoyed the tidbits about your life there. Hope to hear more!!!

Elle - glad your Yoga practice went well - and muscle endurance is such a good workout - I think prehaps I'll do that tonight.

shoe report: these have the most Pilgrim look to them - good Thanksgiving Day shoe - that I think I'll stop there.

Have a really good day everyone. :)

Good Afternoon,

Did Disk 13 of the STS series. Chest, Shoulders & triceps. I certainly feel my shoulders and triceps fatigued, not so much my chest though. Next time I'll use the Smith Machine for chest presses and go heavier. Can barely lift the 45 pounds up without almost compromising my shoulders. So, Smith Machine next time for those exercises and perhaps an extra 5 or so pounds.

Had Shredded Wheat with soy milk, and a protein shake so far. Will have spaghetti tonight with lots of vegies in it. Doing really good so far today on my eating.

The snow is still around and the sun is out and it's 36 degrees. A nice crisp day out. Will go in the hot tub and soak those weary arms for awhile. It was a great workout and Joey loved it as well.

Shoegal, Low Max is a great workout, but I have to agree with you, there are so many intervals there. Maybe I'll try that one as my cardio tomorrow,(or not) we'll see how I feel then.

My daughter in law will be having her first baby due the first part of April. She may be a bit early. I will help them and stay at their house for a week. Then we will start This month all over again with disk 13 and continue from there. I don't see any other way to do it.

If you don't hear from me for a week, that's why and do please keep up with the check-ins. I'll let you know a head of time (I hope) when I'll be gone.

Hello to all who follows, and will be checking in again soon to see how everyone is doing.

Janie

Well back on the Wagon! Darn thing is so tipsy, it is hard to stay on it! LOL!:eek:

So today I taught an intermediate mat class, it went well, I even introduced a few new exercises. Then this afternoon it was Gym Style Chest & Triceps again. Man that is probably the hardest DVD for me. I think those are my too weak spots. My arms were giving out on the drop sets of push up even from the knee bent position. I had been doing the full pushup but I could never finish the reps so I thought I should go back to the knees for awhile. My chest was quivering the rest of the workout and my triceps were giving out. I must be having an off day. Maybe that is the payback from falling off the wagon!

Hi Chiquita it is nice to hear from you. I have also lived in a developing country, and I can sympathize with you. Although I loved it very much. My father loved Brazil, he went there once a year for many many years to teach Physical Therapy. I have always wanted to visit South America. I can't wait to hear what you think about Butts & Gutts!

Janey: good job getting back on it! You are an inspiration. I will be in your neck of the woods over Easter. Me and the girls willbe going to Whidbey for Spring break/Easter. I hope it warms up there soon!

Elle: your workout sounded so great. Don't you love it when you can really connect into your practice? Which DVD is ME on? Sounds great.

Shoegal: good job on the eating! It is much easier at home when you can control everything. Thanks for the supporting words!

Michelle: are you on your way home yet? Good job not letting travel be an excuse to blow all your hard work!
Eating today so far so good. I had a veggie egg scramble with mushrooms, spinach, tomato, onion 2 eggs.

Quick check-in then I have to meet my colleagues for dinner. The conference was MUCH better today. Thank goodness. But we've observed enough and will head back home tomorrow afternoon.

Did Kick Max in my hotel room. That is a good cardio dvd to take with you on travel. If you have your lap top and enough space in your room, you are good to go. It was my first time with kick max and I'm just not that good with the kick boxing but I sweat big time. Those leg drills at the end are killers. Hope I can sit and stand tomorrow.

Welcome Chiquita. It's great to have you join our group.

Gotta go do the eating thing. Italian tonight. So far, I've had oatmeal and a turkey and provolone sandwich with basil peso pasta salad today. Not too bad. I'll try to get back later this evening.
~michelle

Good Evening,

Michelle, So glad the conference was better, and hope you can apply it to your job. Enjoy the Italian food tonight.

Laura, The wagon is tipsy for me as well. LOL.:D As you very well know. I love Gym Style anything, they always kick my butt. Whidbey Island is so far away from where I live. I live about an hour or so away from Olympia. My father use to be a commercial fisherman at Whidbey Island. Wish I could meet you. I know it is far away, but you are so welcome to come to my place and spend a few days, if you have the time. Seriously. Don't count on this area being very warm during Easter. It usually is a little chilly around that time. Sunny, but crisp/cool, need a sweater or jacket. No matter where you spend your time, enjoy the scenery here in the Pacific Northwest, it is beautiful!

Janie

Check in Wed 3/11/09

Hello - - - anybody out there??

Well I did Muscle Endurance last night - was all iffy about it - I kept thinking - do I really want to do this? Kept looking around for other options. I almost did a Gym Style but I talked myself back into doing Muscle Endurance - the entire thing. Was glad I did. Did not remember all those leg presses - we did them like 3 times and I just did this workout not that long ago. It is funny how I forget - I must be getting old. Did exceptionally well eating too - and no wine last night either. My - what a bleak existence I must lead. The scale said I lost weight but I really don't believe it - it has lied to me in the past.

News Flash: Do you remember the electrical book DH had accused me of maliciously taking and then subsequently hiding because, you know, I do things like that - probably for some vile, dark, reason of my own or maybe just for fun - it has been found!!! Where - do you ask? He lent it to his brother-in-law - happened to mention that he can't find it - and brother in law said - oh - well it is up here - I borrowed it from you - don't you remember? I was cleared of all charges and was issued an apology.

Tonight is wine & cheese. I bought some Laughing Cow and I thought I'd give that a whirl. Will try that Amy Bento step workout I have yet to master once again.

Hope everyone is getting over the hump today. I'm sorta sleepy - wish I could nap right here. . . . . opps - think I might have dropped off for a second. Have a great day everyone!!

Hi everybody,
We bugged out of the conference at lunchtime today. We got everything we needed for our project and I am back home. Ripken is delirious with joy. He has had one walk and after I finish posting, we will take another. It is spring here today in Virginia (70 degrees +), tomorrow is supposed to be cooler. The leaves on the maple trees are starting to push their buds, the daffodils and crocus are in full bloom, the bradford pears are about to bloom, and my magnolia bush is getting close to popping purple blooms. Gotta love it.

So, today I went a little lighter and did all of total body stretching and the first segment of core max. The stretching felt good particularly after kick max yesterday. Boy, I can feel my butt muscles today.

Shoegal: don't you just love it when your spouse is wrong?

Janie: What is a Smith machine?

Shoegal: leg presses are a great exercise. I have a love-hate relationship with leg presses. Haven't tried ME yet, but just previewed Legs and Glutes which looks really challenging. And yes, it has those dang leg presses.

Laura: ME is on Bootcamp and ME. Haven't tried that one yet. The very idea of those BC workouts intimidate me.

Hope everyone is having a great week.
~michelle

Good Evening Everyone,

So today was a Boulder day. One of my clients cancelled so I had an extra long stretch this morning to kill. I did a long hike along the flat irons. 2:30 hours. I trail ran about 45 minutes of it. It was very cold but beautiful. Total calorie burn was 1298! I did about a 45 minute reformer workout at the studio.

Michelle: your post make me miss the south so much. I am a Georgia girl and I miss southern springs so much! I had a similar day to you on Monday it felt really good to stretch.

Janie: I will be pretty busy while at my mom's. I actually have a lot of childhood and college friends in that area that I try to connect with while I am up there. I love it there it is so beautiful are the whales coming through the sound in April? Wondering how the GS compare to STS? Had serious DOMS in the triceps today!:eek:

Shoegal Good Job on the food. No surprise on the DH front!

Hi to everyone else hope you got in some great workouts today!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.