Lurker Invitations March Check-In

Boy, what is going on this week with the young ones? Janie, I've had lots of practice saying Hail Marys this week for our neighbor's son, Dylan. Thankfully, he is okay. So, now I'll just roll over those Hail Marys for you and your family. I hope little Adrian is feeling well soon. Thank goodness, your son and DIL have you there for support.

The sun has finally come out in Virginia. It is a bit breezy, but no clouds and fog today. We've definitely turned the corner on spring. Everything is bloooming. My yoshima cherry in the front yard is absolutely gorgeous with all its little pink, cloud-like blooms.

Laura: I'd love to start STS with you, BUT I don't have it. I'm not quite ready to take that plunge. However, the Sunday paper had a 20 percent off coupon in it for Bed, Bath and Beyond. So I do see an IronGym in my future so I can start working on those pull-ups and chin-ups.

Just got done with Pyramid Upper Body and ab hits workout 7. It's been about 6 weeks since I've done PUB and can see some benefits from the S&H and GS dvds. I've upped my weights for every upper body segment; those biceps at the end still really get me.

Updae on Adrian

Adrian has something wrong with his colon that is not allowing him to pass poop. There is a name for it, but I couldn't pronounce it let alone spell it. So far that is agreed upon. They are waiting for a professional doctor to come in Monday to take a little bit of tissue from his colon and have further tests done. In the meantime, the only additional routine they will have to do (so far) is give him enemas to help the poop pass. When he gets a little older they most likely will operate on him and take that part of the intestine out and just bypass that part of him. He will be as good as new. The important thing now is, he is stable.

Thank you so much for all your support and prayers, you know it is much appreciated. I can't tell you how much this means to me. And I knew I could count on you for that kind of support. I truly didn't know what else to do. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

359837940.jpg

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Last edited:
Oh Janie, I just caught up on your posts. I am so glad they have discovered what was going on and that things have stabilized! He is adorable! I know how hard medical complications with babies can be on a family and it is very scary. My daughters had a rare conditions called twin-to-twin transfusion that only identical twins get and it is 90% fatal. They were born early by an emergency c-section and we had several months of difficult times in the NICU. But now they are healthy, vibrant, intelligent 8 year olds and I believe with all my heart that all the prayers and love we got helped them through that difficult birth. Just keep visualizing Adrian as a healthy toddler playing at a playground and I will too!

So today was one of those longer outdoor adventure days for me. I did a two hour x-country ski and burnt 1250 cals! And then did an hour of mellow down hill with the girls on greens & burnt an additional 513 cals.

I have a confession though. I had planned a week of 4DS workouts but with the snow storm and friend visits I didn't get them in, and although I did other exercise, working it in when and where I could, I feel frustrated that I didn't get my scheduled workouts in! Is anyone else like this? I really must be a type A perfectionists or something. I know that it is absurd, and I should be proud of myself for making things work, but I can't help but feel like I didn't do it or something!! I know I am crazy!

Last edited:
Janie, that's terrific news! Our internet was out nearly all day so this has been the first chance to check on Adrian's status; I have been thinking about you both. It was wonderful to see that you have a diagnosis, and treatment, and the situation has stabilized. Thanks so much for sharing.

You are one terrific grandma and you have an incredibly cute grandson there :)

Prayers for Adrian

Janie - wow - I wasn't on the computer the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday - just saw the posts on your grandson. He looks to be a handsome little chap and I believe the others are right - he is fortunate to have so many people in his corner. Thank God he is stable and he seems to be on the road to recovery. Yes, I agree problems with babies are scary - my nephew had some breathing problems when he was born and had part of his lung cut out - spent a good deal of time in the hospital but now he is a thriving 14 year old.

I'll be back later for a more in depth check in - but wanted to get my best wishes in first.

Janie--great, great news. I've been thinking about you and praying for baby Adrian. Thank goodness, the doctors know what is wrong and have a plan for dealing with the situation. I hope everything is clear sailing from here for you all.

God bless.
~michelle

Quick check-in on my workout this morning. I always feel like bagging the workout on Monday mornings. Took me half way through the 2 mile walkabout with Ripken to stop whining about it. Ripken was not impressed with my reparte this morning. By the time we got back to the house, I had adjusted my attitude and went with Rhythmic Step. It's been a while since I've done RS and I really enjoyed it. RS was the first "advanced" Cathe step routine that I learned last August, so I get a little sentimental about it.

Just found out that the Marine Corps has implemented a policy change in the recruiting of their special operations Marines that my colleague and I recommended almost one year ago. Yeah! It's always a real kick when our work has an impact. Pretty dang cool.

Hope everyone is having a great day.
~michelle

Check in Friday 3/30

Where did March go? Went off the deep end and ordered more Cathe DVDs today than I wanted to - Just thought - I should take advantage of the sale - but didn't want to spend so much. Added pyramind Upper and Lower body. I just thought how terribly exciting it would be to have new workouts to try. I believe I'm an addict and need to get some help - have decided to keep the STS Shock Cardio and subsequent DVD purchases to myself for now meaning I'm not telling DH. In all honesty he can say nothing about these purchases and certainly can't prevent me from spending my money any way I choose - but I believe he'll think it frivilous and I don't want to justify it.

Have not decided what to do workout wise this evening. It is a cardio day - maybe Drill Max - it has been awhile. Well - it isn't written in stone and I easily change my mind depending on my mood so we'll see. I'll let you know tomorrow what it turns out to be.

Have been practicing push ups - they go so slowly on my toes - I mean, painfully slow - I can't go any faster either - so I don't see how I could possibly keep up with Cathe in any of her workouts. I'll have done 1 to her 4 - well got to start somewhere, right?

Laura - Sometimes life gets in the way of planned workouts. I once was on this Firm Rotation - I believe it was 3 months - I was so dedicated to doing all of it - I had tried it once before and when I went on vacation it all fell apart and I never went back to finish it - so this time through - I was going to do it!!! Twice in those 3 months I didn't get the workout in - I beat myself about it at first but then I made peace with myself - I wasn't giving up completely - I just had to reschedule. So - you aren't giving up on 4DS - you'll reschedule. I mean what is the alternative - telling your friend I can't talk to you - I've got to workout???

Michelle - Impressed that after your hike you went home and did RS. I think the hike for me would have been quite enough. Wow - great job. Yep - I'm thoroughly impressed that your recommendations have come to pass - amazing!!

Janie - I am so glad that Adrian is getting the care he needs - very sweet little man. You must be happy that you are there to help. Believe me, I know your help in invaluable right now to your son and daughter in law.

Well going to go - hope everyone has a fabulous day.

Hi all,

Thought I'd check in just briefly -

Yesterday, I declared as an active rest day. I did a hike, pushing harder than usual to kind of make up for it by jogging a little in the six-eight inches of snow we have everywhere, but except for doing that I took it easy. I even topped out at 8K of total steps! But, it's been over two weeks since I had less than 90 minutes of intense workout in a day, between cardio and strength training, and my body was starting to rebel.

I feel pretty good today and should be able to do my regular STS, either Legs or Biceps (triceps done). Either will put me midway through week 4 of Meso 1 ... only four more workouts after that, and it's rest week.

My pullup goal is going very well. I hit 14 in a row on Sunday! I'm still hurrying through them, and using a little momentum to get started.

For those doing toe pushups, it does get easier. I used to do just a few at the beginning of the set, very slowly, and now I can keep up with the pace of the STS crew for all but the very last set. Getting that very last set done is like pulling teeth! So far I have not had to go to knees to get the job done, just slooowww doooowwwn and kind of rest on my hands halfway through. Once I nearly fell on my face: couldn't raise myself up after the last one!

Take care everyone - I need to run, we're getting carpets cleaned today and I have taken some time off to help with that. They are due here in half an hour and there is still clutter all over the floors :eek:

Last day of March ladies--let's go out on a high note!

Today, I did Power Hour. I haven't done this workout since January 14th and quite frankly it always put me in a bad move because I hate the static lunge section. Well, today no bad mood. Maybe I'm getting stronger or maybe absence makes the heart grow fonder. Now that I have refreshed my memory on the routine, I may try it one more time later this week.

Shoegal: I'm with you sister. I've got some new Cathe dvds coming as well: Muscle Max and GS Legs. DH will be so happy to see more Cathe dvds. I haven't even mentioned Shock Cardio to him. What's the point? It's not coming until Sept/Oct. It will be paid for and I'll just say it was my birthday present to myself since my birthday is in October. I'm with you on those push-ups. I did 16 on my toes today and then the rest on my knees. I never can keep up with Cathe on those. But you are right: you have to start somewhere.

And don't be too impressed with the walkabouts. Ripken and I don't walk super fast, but we do stick to our daily walking routine. We start out pretty briskly and then slow down so he can stop and get his sniffs in. Our morning walks are nice because I'm usually waking up during the first half of the walk and then feel a little stretched out by the time we are done. We do another walk at night, but not as long--only a half-mile and maybe playtime with his dog buddies if they are outside.

Janie--we miss hearing from you everyday. Hope things are going well with Adrian. I start to worry when we don't hear from you now--I hope it is because he is home and you are just too busy enjoying him.

If folks don't mind, I will set up the new Lurkers' thread for April right before I go to bed this evening.

~Michelle

Check in - Tuesday 3/31

I just noticed on my last post that I put Friday 3/30 - I suppose that was wishing thinking or my head was up in the clouds because of my new Cathe purchases. I'm looking at that thinking - geeze what an idiot. Oh well.

Last night I did Cardio and Weights - don't recall the last time I did this but did know for certain that I was in danger of doing this workout too often and probably forced myself to mix it up. It was an unusual workout day for me - my DH never ate lunch and was starving so on the ride home we stopped off for dinner. I usually go home, eat some fresh fruit and non fat yogurt and then some time later (depending on what I'm doing) I work out and then I eat dinner. It has been quite awhile since I've eaten dinner and then worked out. It went remarkably well - and I felt like I did a good job. The push up section - she does a push up, goes up into a pyramid, does another push up and then does a side plank (for those of you who haven't done this one)- I attempted each push up on my toes. This was a perfect push up section to attempt since it isn't fast and it isn't one rep right after the other. I'm going to say that I did them on my toes and I tried HARDER to do them than in the past but I don't believe that they were full push ups. But it was good.

Michelle - I was shocked that the Golden I ran into was aggressive toward Pepper- I knew that the breed are generally people oriented dogs but I really didn't think they were inclined not to like other pups. My Scout (German Short Haired Pointer) is nasty with other dogs and strangers - it is just in her nature - but Dot isn't so I'm thinking it also depends on the individual dog.

My sister's Golden, Harold, loves to walk as well, but Kelly says that sometimes in the summer he gets hot and tired and will take frequent breaks -to the point where she is pulling him home.

I think you'll love Muscle Max - good total body workout - it is one of my favorites.

Laura - what do you end up buying?

Shadowpup - I am totally impressed with your pull ups. That is still 14 more than I can do momentum or not!!

See you all on the April check in!!!

Hi Everyone,
So last night were my two classes. I went heavy on the legs. Mixing it up a little for the class. I burnt about 531 calories, and probably around 250 for the pilates. So not a bad total for the day.

Today I taught a beginner pilates class and then I ran 3.30 miles on the treadmill and I also brought Cathe's GS Chest & Triceps to the gym and did it there. It is still really cold here and didn't want to heat up the yurt again..So it worked out to take me DVD to the gym. No one is there in the mid morning, which is nice. My arms are cooked. Those pushups don't seem to be getting easier at all! :(:(:(

So still haven't made my DVD purchases because I can't make up my mind! I really want STS but since I can't use the discount on it I feel like I should spend $ on DVD's that take advantage of that 20% so....does anybody have the cross train express dvd? I want to keep my purchase under $300, which still seems like a lot right now considering the economy and our dwindling investments.....

Okay--somebody talk me out of my addiction. I'm seriously thinking about buying STS--only because I just got my payraise letter and a modest bonus. Yes, there are still a few companies giving raises and bonuses. But trust me ladies, my bonus is no where near the ballpark of what Wallstreet executives get (whether they are performing well or not). In fact, I'm pretty sure the ballpark that my bonus is in is more like the dirt-lot that kids used to play stick ball in.

Anyway--this is all Laura's fault for asking me to start STS with her. And now I'm confused--:confused: because Laura doesn't have STS yet, either.

I also know that my DH will have a major cow if he sees a box of 40 Cathe dvds show up at our house. Argh!!!!! I would have to get a new something to store all my Cathe dvds in/on as well, because STS would definitely overflow my current storage area. Of course, I'm going to have that problem in the fall when Shock Cardio arrives, but I figure that I can slyly transition to a new storage arrangement before then and maybe DH won't notice them LOL!

~michelle

Uh, Michelle, you want us to talk you OUT of getting STS and Cathe DVDs ... ???

You want us to persuade you that you don't need muscle shocking therapy that will have you doing toe pushups, pullups, endurance style weights and heavy weights and everything in between, going where even Cathe has never gone before ... ?

And you want us to tell you that your life won't be enriched if you do your 1RMs, or have lovely DOMS for days? And pick up weights you never thought possible? And that you won't feel driven in a month or so to buy a new weight vest because you have nothing [heavy] to wear??? Or - gulp - SelectTech dumbbells?

That's what you want us to do? Seriously? :p Goodness, I never knew that un-lurking would be this hard :)

But I feel your pain in the pocketbook. The way I handled the DH side of the equation is that we each take windfalls like bonuses and divide them into needs/joint wants, but also set aside some purely mad money that is supposed to be spent on frivolous pleasure without accountability. A small amount of each paycheck goes into that category, too, because it makes it easier to be disciplined if you have the ability to truly cut loose from time to time. Nearly all of my frivolous pleasures this year have been electronic, or very heavy, or involved someone saying "work harder". His have been involving some game that requires you to put a small white ball into a tiny hole. Neither is allowed to pick on the other (except teasingly in a nice way) for the oddity of their choice. Don't know if that strategy would work for you in this situation ... STS would be hard to hide; the big boxes, the stirring introductory music, not to mention all those extra muscles and barbells and dumbbells and microloads and other etceteras that will be joining you.

And congrats on a well-deserved bonus! This is a nice problem to have, isn't it?

Laura, I like CTX. Mainly what I use from it is Leaner Legs, which is my favorite non STS (sorry Michelle) Leg workout.

There's a rotation posted somewhere that is supposed to be STS-like, using Cathe's other dvds. Maybe that would be a good solution?

Last edited:
Decided to hop on to see what is going on - and geeze - there is an apparent struggle going down. Michelle - I don't even know what to say about buying STS - but I'm with Shadowpup - I think it would be difficult to hide - and you would end up spending more money eventually because the program warrants it. However, a bonus is a bonus and what would be better than celebrating your hard work with more hard work???

Laura - I too own Cross Train Xpress - Lots of workouts but I don't think I'm qualified to truly evaluate it - I did it once. I think I did one of the step workouts twice. It was all good - I mean, its Cathe. I have no complaints.

Fun decisions to have. I've spent the money - and evaluated my budget and it was not so good. I think the guilt will start to go away tomorrow though.

Have a great night.:)

Hi Everyone,
I haven't checked-in with you in a while but i wanted to say hi to you all. I haven't done much in the last week since i had this annoying cough which i'm finally getting over. I did end up losing 5lbs in March which i'm happy about.
I also decided to pre-order the Shock Cardio today. I'm starting to think about what i'll use my 20% discount to buy as well. I think i will definitely be getting Rythmic Step since that seems to be a fave with a lot of Cathletes. I'll have to check out some of the other workouts as well before making my decision.

We need a voice of reason when it comes to actually thinking through STS purchasing and it is clearly not going to be mine :eek:

"Hi, I'm Shadow, and it has been 24 ... seconds since I last thought about buying fitness equipment or a dvd."

Sigh.

One thing, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few STS mesos starting to show up on Ebay, as people finish it up. You can get P90x for very reasonable prices, and STS probably will work out the same way.

That was me pretending to be logical, but each one of you on this thread knows it's my inner fitness addict speaking.

Last edited:
Now a post...

Okay, so I've been lurking again! He he!

Well, I am no help when it comes to spending money on Cathe! I just got 4DS, Rythmic Step, and Cardio & Weights (to replace my busted one, I use that one alot!). Just finished HIS from 4ds. Think I'm gonna really like this series!!!! Added bonus I think it will really help me get ready for STS in May! Allready have my calendar set up for the 3 month rotation!

On a more personal note.... my dad is still in the hospital. Had the JPEG put in and is doing as well as can be expected. However, just found out his twin brother has been diagnosed with cancer. DD is being sent to a specialist because of her migraines and losing her sight a couple of times..... just a little stressed and not alot to say the last few weeks!

I have been keeping up and reading and praying for that beautiful baby! Will try to check in more next week and definitely more in May as I progress through STS!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.