ICE 2...Who's In?

A little late to the party-

Intermediate that is truly intermediate! Cathe's Intermediate still puts most other instructors *advanced* to shame. Not all of us can do it anymore. But we still want the benefit of lifting with Cathe. the sweet spot; the best of both worlds!

NO high impact, crawling, etc many of us have hip, knee, shoulder and/or wrist issues.

Back to tried and true styles. The classics. The old school methods others have pointed out. If it wasn't broke, it didnt need fixing. Now the innovation can be mentally draining. Nothing wrong with simplcity!

I have to admit, I was jazzed when ICE was announced a few years back. That there was an original idea floating around that it was supposed to help beginners move into the next level, give intermediates the strength and stamina to progress in Cathe's collection while giving advanced users a light day/routine workout. I bought it and was dissapointed when it was geared to high intermediates. Cathe's beginner level weight workouts are too simple for my needs (and probably most everyone here) but The high-intermediate/low-advanced is too much on my body (joint, injuries, chronic illness), and many others seems to have those issues too. I am hoping we can get an in between.

Reactions: mjd
I just finished a 4-week rotation of the ICE Series, including doing all of the Blizzard Blasts and Muscle Meltdowns. I had excellent results and noticeable improvements in my core strength and upper body strength. I'm so looking forward to LITE.

A little late to the party-

Intermediate that is truly intermediate! Cathe's Intermediate still puts most other instructors *advanced* to shame. Not all of us can do it anymore. But we still want the benefit of lifting with Cathe. the sweet spot; the best of both worlds!

NO high impact, crawling, etc many of us have hip, knee, shoulder and/or wrist issues.

Back to tried and true styles. The classics. The old school methods others have pointed out. If it wasn't broke, it didnt need fixing. Now the innovation can be mentally draining. Nothing wrong with simplcity!

I have to admit, I was jazzed when ICE was announced a few years back. That there was an original idea floating around that it was supposed to help beginners move into the next level, give intermediates the strength and stamina to progress in Cathe's collection while giving advanced users a light day/routine workout. I bought it and was dissapointed when it was geared to high intermediates. Cathe's beginner level weight workouts are too simple for my needs (and probably most everyone here) but The high-intermediate/low-advanced is too much on my body (joint, injuries, chronic illness), and many others seems to have those issues too. I am hoping we can get an in between.

YESSS!!!! Totally agree with all of this!

I started the ICE rotation #3 and I love it. But, I really hope Cathe will stop saying "Ignore the beat" in any future DVD productions, especially the weight lifting ones. I just did the triceps muscle meltdown and she said it so many times, I finally had to mute the volume. I don't like muting Cathe. I love her pleasant and encouraging voice. But, I don't understand why you would have to repeatedly tell people to ignore the beat when they are lifting weights, especially heavy ones. Who lifts weights to a musical beat? That seems like a recipe for disaster to me. If anything has to be said, how about "Off tempo." This is just my opinion and I'm sorry if this post upsets anyone.

Hi Cheryl, actually a lot of people lift weights to a beat. In fact,nearly all fitness videos we're done to a beat until around 2009. We were one of the first companies producing exercise videos to break away from using a beat in our heavy weight videos and back then we took a lot of heat for it. Today, Cathe makes a lot of on-off-the-beat workouts as music can be used to set the tempo for some exercises and not others. Hence the need to cue when to follow a beat and when not to. For people schooled in doing fitness videos to 32 count phrase music it's very hard to not follow a beat. It may seem strange if you did not grow up in the era of music based workouts, but until recently this is how all home video workouts and group fitness classes were done at health clubs.

Hi Cheryl, actually a lot of people lift weights to a beat. In fact,nearly all fitness videos we're done to a beat until around 2009. We were one of the first companies producing exercise videos to break away from using a beat in our heavy weight videos and back then we took a lot of heat for it. Today, Cathe makes a lot of on-off-the-beat workouts as music can be used to set the tempo for some exercises and not others. Hence the need to cue when to follow a beat and when not to. For people schooled in doing fitness videos to 32 count phrase music it's very hard to not follow a beat. It may seem strange if you did not grow up in the era of music based workouts, but until recently this is how all home video workouts and group fitness classes were done at health clubs.
Absolutely true. When I taught, everything was on a beat. But, I am older than dirt, so that was years ago.

View attachment 5839

Feeling excited and inspired to create this...who's in??? Share your ideas and let's make this happen
I am.... in as long as there isn't any crawling around on the floor or high impact like lots of jumping jacks, burpees or tuck jumps. My old body can't take it anymore :( I like to see new/different moves for the cardio. I would like to see Cedie, Lorraine and Amanda back. I would like good, upbeat and recognizable music :) Music motivates me and makes me move. No techno music :( good premixes, like in 4DS and your older workouts.
I couldn't agree more about the music. My body can absolutely tolerate jumping jacks but not burpees or tuck jumps. And please please please can we get some good pumping music. It makes all the difference in the world. Thanks Cathe!

Yay! My go-to favorites are Low Impact #2, Boot camp, Metabolic, & Chiseled Lowered Body. Love the flexibility of these workouts. Agree with others on the MM for lower body. Maybe a Hiit on this one? My favorite workouts when short on time combine Step with weights (i.e. Step Bonus on the Low Impact series).

Thank you for the reply. Now I understand why Cathe does this. I really had no idea that lifting weights to a musical beat was popular. I haven’t been using exercise DVDs long enough to know this. I can understand lifting to a certain count or speed, but not to a musical beat. I only use my workout music to set a mood. But, I appreciate the explanation.

Last edited:

This was very interesting good to know

I'm in!!! This is great news. I love the ICE Series and I reach for it more than any of your other series. It was absolutely perfect.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.