Do any of you ever regret NOT having kids?

My aunt just turned 50 and has never been married and has no kids. She is having the time of her life!! She is just the type of person who never had the desire to settle down. That being said, I just turned 26 and find myself desperate to get pregnant. I have that "motherly" instinct and have wanted kids all my life. It just seems like now I'm starting to get that itch! We are waiting until next year to start trying, and my biggest fear is that I wont be able to conceive. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't have kids.

I think it is a totally personal choice and no one should be pressured either way. Either you have that maternal instinct or you dont.

Well said, Sparrow. That's how I feel, too, but you articulated it way better than I ever could have.

I'm late 30's and, so far, have never had a strong yearning to have kids (dogs, however, are another story :D ). I love my nieces and nephews to death, and would always be there for them if they needed me, but can't say I'm in a yank to have my own.

Never say never, but that's where it stands now. DH feels the same.

Also, for anyone who thinks having kids automatically gives you a care-giver in your later years...that doesn't always work out...not all kids are as good to their parents as Beavs and Michele.

And I'm pretty sure everyone would get their knickers in a twist if I said "I just don't get why you don't want to have kids..."

Thanks Lynne.

Allwildchild, sorry my bad :eek:

1gruntgal, I do apologize, I am not trying to rude or offensive, I started this thread because I truly do not understand. The earth is not at a loss for human life so it is purely to make parents happy, is that true? Or is that an unfair statement? To me having kids seems like an immense amount of worry, stress, work, etc. and I'm sure you have some happy moments with them but so do I. I am definitely in the minority and I just wanted some other opinions. Again, I thank you all for your posts, they are so insightful! Greatly appreciated!

To say "I regret it" isn't really accurate b/c it wasn't my decision. Well, not really. I just never met the right person. I considered doing it on my own, but the vision of myself walking through my front door completely alone w/an infant in my arms just scares the daylights out of me.

To say "I'm sorry I never had the opportunity & will be until the day I die" is probably a more accurate statement.

Funny you say this...

I really enjoyed reading all of your posts, and as a parent, I echo the sentiments of JenniferMaria and Autumn.

My 13 year old has told me that she doesn't think she wants to have kids, and I've bent over backwards to make sure she knows she's fully supported, regardless of the path she chooses. I did tell her I want Grand-dogs though. :) At least 3!

I can remember a few years ago during my first marriage, and my mom always knew my feelings on kids, that she would never be a grandmother of human babies, and thoughtfully gave me a plaque that says:

"Please don't tell me by Grandchild has FUR!" Ebony, my lab, was deeply scared for life that her gramma didn't WANT furbabies! :) She finally came around!

I still display that plaque proudly and explain to anyone who inquires!

Great Thread!

I don't have kids either - at 47 but I have never regretted it. Personally, I think I act and look much younger that most mothers my age. I heard people say that kids keep you young but I personally think not having kids keeps me young. I don't have to watch my language or what I watch on TV because it might be a bad influence on children. Plus I don't have to worry about them 24/7 which I think ages you and is a heck of a hard job. I can come and go as I please and take off at a moment's notice (not that I do but I could). I love children. When I'm with my friend's kids, I'm the only adult that is on the floor playing with them or outside in the yard playing catch. I'm still a kid at heart and can act like one and don't have to do the hard part of playing "mom". If I'm around a teenager, I consider them and think of them as my peers. Crazy...but I'm only responsible when I have to be and the rest of the time I'm still a kid.

Jean Louise

My sister is 41 and she always knew she didn't want kids and is very content with being mommy to her two cats. Me on the other hand had two kids because I really don't care for cats.

When I'm with my friend's kids, I'm the only adult that is on the floor playing with them or outside in the yard playing catch. I'm still a kid at heart and can act like one and don't have to do the hard part of playing "mom". If I'm around a teenager, I consider them and think of them as my peers. Crazy...but I'm only responsible when I have to be and the rest of the time I'm still a kid.

Jean Louise

It's funny you mention that, because all of my nieces and nephews consider me "one of them". Even though I am an "adult", they don't look at me that way since I do not have children. I still play video games with them and they love coming to my house because I still have a lot of my old toys etc... I think if I had kids, I would just be another "aunt" to them. I've always just been Amber with them and the only time they say aunt is when someone asks them who their favorite one is. ;) My DH and I have seen all of our high school friends and college buds get married and have kids and boy are they different now. They all seem so "old" to us too now and we still feel like kids. ;) (P.s. Just referring to some of my college friends and how they've changed. I know everyone isn't like this obviously. My middle sister is still like a kid herself and she has 4 kids!)

Last edited:
No regrets

I"m 48, been happily married for 22 yrs and do not regret not having children. I have several nieces, great-nieces, nephews that I love spending time with but I'm also glad to see them go home. I LOVE my life. I"m the oldest of 5 children, by the time I was in the 6th grade I was cooking for 7 people (after school it was my job to fix dinner and have it ready when my parents got home from work)
When I first got married I did want kids, we tried but it just didn't happen and I was amazed that I was not too upset about it. I didn't want kids bad enough to spend money finding out WHY I wasn't getting pregnant. Something that really does bug me (as others have mentioned) is the assumption that I have lots of "free time" on my hands because I"m not a mother. Bugs the crap outta me, I am the one that sees to my parents and my M-I-L, work full time and help my husband on the farm. I am just as busy as anyone else. Just a different kind of busy. Sometimes I feel like there is competition to see who is the "busiest" based on conversations I hear with co-workers and friends...who the hell cares?

Well, y'all will be happy to know it doesn't work like that in all families. I'm the only one who has kids in mine, and I'm the one who looked after my mom when she needed it. Oh, and my kid doesn't scream in the food court and she doesn't cost me a fortune:p

Sometimes I love being the exception to the rule. ;)

Hi,

I'm 48 years old now and don't have children. I think it was the right choice for me personally. Even at a young age I felt that I may never want to have children. There were times in the past that I thought I might regret never having kids but so far that has not happend. As I get older I seem to have less and less regrets about many things and realize that I have made some good decisions with my life and like the direction I have taken. I admire and am sometimes in awe of those that have children since it is a huge responsibility and commitment. It would make me so happy to see all children in loving and protective homes. Unfortunately that isn't the situation for many of them.

I'm 47, single, and have no kids. I've talked with women who have kids and, when questioned, they say they always knew they wanted to be a mom, from the time they were little. I never really felt that. Like a lot of things, I sometimes think "what if?" but it's not a steady, constant feeling that I made a mistake. I do wonder if there isn't something kind of wrong with me that I never felt that sense of urgency (biological clock and all) and it concerns me that my status means some may perceive me as strange. It doesn't help that I have five cats, no steady man and, all the sudden, single women my age with cats have become a cliched punch line in every network sitcom. It stings, especially since I always pictured myself in a relationship with a great guy traveling exotic places doing fun things. It was never in my mind to be a parent alone and it's hard telling how different things would have been had I met That Guy in time. It just didn't happen for me. But then sometimes I'll be in a K Mart and some kid will be screaming his freakin' head off and I can feel myself becoming unwound. In that instant, my belief that I did the right thing is reaffirmed. Where I live, I'm SURROUNDED by women who should never have had children. Just yesterday I almost went off and a young woman walking down the street with four children of various ages, berating one of the young one's, calling him "stupid" and "dumb a**." My mother was a lot like me, not a natural parent (both my dad and brother were BORN to be daddy's, ironically) but she really grew into the role as I hit adolescence. And I know the exact moment when she woke up: When a gang of bigger, older girls at school were picking on me and my mom got wind of it she called the principal (I was a fourth grader) and told her to "get every one of them in the office. The ringleader was a very large girl and, when she made the mistake of smirking, my mom got about three inches from her face and told her to get that smile off her face or she'd "get it off" for her. It was like my mom snapped out of a decade of postpartum depression in the blink of an eye to protect her baby. She got real fierce and protective after that and we got stupid close. My best friend got mad because I told my mom "EVERYTHING." But when I saw that young mother ripping into her little boy, calling him names, I remember my mom saying you should never talk to a child like that, saying "If you call a child 'stupid' the child eventually accepts it as fact." People who obviously had no business being parents pi**ed her off and I've become the same way. So, weirdly, I feel very protective of other people's kids but still don't really think I'm up to being responsible 24/7 for making sure another human being grows up right. I'm not a born mom in the same way I'm not a born astronaut.

A couple of summers ago I was heading towards my front gate, on my way to my car, when two little girls on bicycles too big for them were riding past, one upset with the other. The one girl kind of jumped down quick while the other whizzed passed and hissed "stupid" (obviously picked up from their mother). The first stood there, determinedly struggling to get back up on her big bike. As I passed in front of her I said "I don't think you're stupid..." She looked at me, momentarily stunned. Then she scrunched up her face with the most tickled expression, hopped back on her bike and began peddling off, feeling a lot less "stupid." At times like that I think 'Maybe I COULD have handled the job...'

Wow, this was such an excellent post!

Siren - I feel the same as you. You initial first few sentences could have been me writing them. I never got those instincts to have kids and I look around the world wondering why so many women have them. Three, four even five of them. I think to myself, "How insane can you possibly be?" and I see the same things as you, mothers calling their kids stupid and dumb, have no patience with them and just look totally unhappy. What is the point??? I don't get it. My step daughter has two kids and she is the most miserable person I know. She is so unhappy with her life and she sends that message to her kids and it is so unfortunate and unfair to them. I wonder how they will be when they grow up? Probably screwed up like most kids are today.

I'm glad I never had any of my own, I have no regrets. I did have to raise my husbands two kids but they are grown up and gone now. It was hard when I was doing it, but I did it. And there are times I miss them being young. But not enough to want one of my own. No way.

To say "I regret it" isn't really accurate b/c it wasn't my decision. Well, not really. I just never met the right person. I considered doing it on my own, but the vision of myself walking through my front door completely alone w/an infant in my arms just scares the daylights out of me.

To say "I'm sorry I never had the opportunity & will be until the day I die" is probably a more accurate statement.

Same here but as I get older the less patience I have. Plus "I personally" wouldn't want to bring a child into this crazy world. I watch the news to much.

There is a lot here that I agree with, and a lot that I don't agree with. I would say that the only generalization I feel I can make is that it is impossible to generalize about all parents or all childless people, just as you wouldn't be able to make assumptions about all women, all people of one race, etc. Everyone's experience is different.

Having said that, there is one thing I feel I must take issue with. Just because a child calls another stupid does not mean that said child learned it from a parent. My DD has been known to hiss "stupid" at her brother when she is angry at him and thinks that I am not listening, and she sure didn't pick that up from my DH or me. And there have been consequences to her behavior. You cannot always judge the parents by the isolated behavior of their children.

I'd support just about any public campaign that encouraged parents to teach their kids to be QUIET in public. I remember clearly my mom teaching us that there is a time and place for loud voices and high energy, and it wasn't the library, the nice restaurant, the grocery store or the movie theatre. These days every where you go there are children being unbearably loud and the parents just sit there and let them disrupt everyone else.

To parents who have the patience and are getting the job done, and done well, kudos.

Sparrow

Yea. I've been thinking about that a lot. I clearly recall being in a department store with my mother (about age 4 or 5) and, though I don't recall what I was doing, I remember my mom wrapping her hand around my upper arm and getting her face real close to mine and, in a low voice, saying "It's going to stop right now. If it doesn't I will take you home and come back without you so cut. it. out." I vividly remember other patrons looking AT ME disapprovingly with that expression that said 'what a brat.' It was just humiliating enough for me to shut up and behave myself. I can recall threats of a spanking throughout my childhood but nobody ever actually followed through. When I was older I used to tease my mom about her scary "beedy (?) little eyes" and it was true. My mother was traffic-stopping beautiful but when she was pi**ed, she could freeze you in place with her DEEP-set steel-blue eyes. I never actually saw violence from her but when she made her point with That Look then immediately went back to a pleasant not-a-care-in-the-world expression (leaving you to wonder if you'd just been threatened or if it was all in your head since she looks so happy now...) it was S.C.A.R.Y.. It made me behave, that's for sure. Before financial disaster hit and I had to reevaluate all my plans I HAD hoped to take a trip to Paris next year (after Germany... I swear) so I started reading up on Paris. I read something in Paris For Dummies (very informative) that really got me. The author said the thing that drives the French nuts is American parents who don't raise their children to behave in public. She said if your kid acts-up in Paris you're going to get a lot of disapproving looks so, if you can't control them, take your vacation minus the kids." Ouch. She said the same thing about Americans wearing frumpy casual clothes and the looks you'll get if you do. But it made me wonder, I know spanking isn't generally accepted in most of Europe so what ARE they doing that Americans should be doing to raise well-behaved children?

Siren, I have a feeling Europeans discipline their children with a spanking here and there. My mom grew up in Italy and she feared the hand of her father, yet she loved him dearly. She knew when to behave and when to have fun. Even though that was "back in the day", I'm pretty sure Italians are pretty much the same way as they were before with disciplining their children. At least that's the jist I get when I talk to my cousin.

Interesting about the French. And I don't blame them, I hate also hate seeing unruly kids in public. There is not excuse for it.

I am 37 and DH is 48. We have been married almost 12 years. I do not regret having children. I teach high school and volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters.

Having children is a very personal decision and for us it was well thought out. We enjoy our time and we enjoy travelling. I completely understand that this can be done with kids, however our lifestyle works for us. What I don't like is people giving me the 3rd degree because we decided not to exercise our reproductive rights.

Having children is no guarantee that they will take care of you or be bothered with you when you get old. Go to a nursing home and see how many residents there are that don't have kids that visit.

I see the effects of poor parenting every day. I wish more people would put thought into the decision to have a family(or not) rather than be pressured by well meaning friends, strangers, and family.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.