Coconut Oil?

MKEMom

Cathlete
I've seen coconut oil recommended on these forums a few times, but I know nothing about it. What are the benefits? Am I supposed to use it for cooking? I saw someone mention adding it to oatmeal... how does it taste? If it tastes like coconut, I would consider this a good thing; I love coconut. How high calorie is it? Enable me, please! ;)

Sam

P.S. About my current diet: I've got a good 30 pounds to lose. I eat vegetarian most of the time (not strict -- if I'm out, I may eat it, but I never prepare it), so I'm always looking for good protein sources. I eat tons of veggies, legumes, and whole grains, and I'm working on taking it easy when it comes to dairy. I don't eat sugar or drink alcohol during the week, and not much on the weekends, either.

I first read about the benefits of coconut oil in Oxygen magazine although I can't remember what they are (apparently not aiding in memory ;)). I use mine in cooking when sauteing or making eggs. The oil I buy is a solid & does not taste like coconut at all. Of the top of my head I can't think of calorie count. Possibly 110 per TBSP maybe.

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

Just make sure that you get raw coconut oil, not hydrogenated oil. Hydrogenated oil loses its health benefits and raises cholesterol. You can get it at your local health food store, most organic sections of the supermarket or at www.therawfoodworld.com or www.sunfood.com.

Coconut oil liquifies at 73 to 78 degrees. It can be used for cooking at higher temperatures. I am on a almost 100% raw vegan diet so I have no experience with using it for cooking. It supposedly has the lowest calories of any oil. It can be put in smoothies, raw soups and many raw deserts. And yes, it has a slightly coconutty flavor. HTH

Last edited:
The virgin oil tastes and smells like coconut, it's very tasty in smoothies, but I would not want to cook meat with it. But there is a refined version that has almost no taste at all that works well for cooking/sauteeing.

I use Spectrum, because they have it in my super market:
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87

It is very filling for me, and seems to have a host of benefits like other healthy fats, it's about the same calories/fat content as any other oil. I think like 120 cal. and 14 grams per tablespoon.

I just started using it and love it! I add it to baking mixes. I also use it to saute veggies and stir fry. Yummy! It does have a mild sweetness to it. Very good.

Thank you, everyone! I have a trip to the natural foods store planned for tonight, I'll have to pick some up.

Coconut oil has many benefits, both topically (a great moisturizer! it also has some antibacterial properties. You can also use it on your hair) and used internally (in moderation).

The medium-chain fatty acids in it are supposedly used more efficiently for energy and stored less easily, so replacing some other fats with coconut oil can help one lose weight. It also is supposed to have fewer calories than other oils.

It has a high burning point, which makes it good for high-heat cooking (vs other oils that will create transfatty acids when heated too high) and it makes the most wonderful popcorn!.

As mentioned above, get raw, extra virgin coconut oil (it will have a coconut odor and flavor, if it doesn't, it's been processed).

I agree that you should get the raw, unrefined. I use the Spectrum brand. Tastes just like coconut...sooooo good! I actually lick the spoon after I'm done measuring it out.:D

I agree with Kathryn - it makes the best popcorn!

I LOVE the unrefined Spectrum organic brand, it tastes wonderful in smoothies. (and in place of butter in cookies, and brownies, and scones :eek: , not that I make those kinda things ;) ). I also use it for my skin and hair :D

I LOVE the unrefined Spectrum organic brand, it tastes wonderful in smoothies. (and in place of butter in cookies, and brownies, and scones :eek: , not that I make those kinda things ;) ). I also use it for my skin and hair :D

kiki: you can use this in cookies too in place of butter? Have you done this?

umhm...not that I make cookies either:cool: (this is me in disguise, hiding from the truth)

Tracy: It mostly depends on the recipe. What I've found is that any recipe that calls for another oil, you can sub coconut (in liquid form), no problem. If it calls for shortening, I use the oil in it's solid form (and you can use just slightly less than called for), or use half coconut oil, half butter. In a recipe calling for butter, it usually works the same as for shortening, but that's where it gets tricky. So the basic rule that I follow for all the baked goods is, the spread factor. If it's something where the spreading is controlled (like cakes/brownies/coffee cakes/pancakes/muffins/certain types of cookies- like ones containing oats) go for it. Your goods will usually come out super moist, and the coconut adds great flavor. For scones, just make sure all your ingredients are super cold (so that the coconut oil stays in its solid state), and place the scones a bit closer together (like 1 inch apart vs. 2) and you will be in heaven when those babies come out of the oven. ;) With cookies, using all coconut oil will make them spread a bit more depending on how stiff the dough is. I typically don't have too much problems w/oat based cookies, (maybe the bulk from the oats help it keep its shape a bit better) or with cookies that are meant to spread more (or those that already include oil/shortening in the recipe) or be more crisp. Also chilling the cookie dough (which I typically always do) really helps the spread factor when using the oil in cookies that you want to keep soft/chewy.

FYI: another thing to keep in mind is that I bake almost exclusively w/whole grain flours, so I'm not sure how this affects my results. I know that it makes our whole grain goodies irresistible (unfortunately for my waistline :p ), but I don't know if the adjustments that I make are due to the coconut oil, the flour that I use, or both. I've been cooking w/whole grains for many years, but just made the transition to coconut oil in baking in the last 2-3, so the above are the changes I had to make using the way that I was already baking. But I know you enjoy cooking from scratch too, so I'm sure you'll find yummy ways to incorporate them ;)

kiki: you can use this in cookies too in place of butter? Have you done this?

umhm...not that I make cookies either:cool: (this is me in disguise, hiding from the truth)

YES!!! Omg there is nothing like chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with half the butter replaced with coconut. If the recipe calls for two sticks of butter, replace one stick with 4 ounces of coconut oil. You can measure it on a scale with a tare feature. You can do the same in any baking recipe. Just realize there will be a slight coconut taste to it depending on what coconut oil you use.

Well, I ended up not buying any yet. $10! Yowza! I'll have to wait for a week when I don't have other pricey items on the grocery list. I don't bake much (mostly because it usually ends with me curled up on the kitchen floor in the fetal postition with batter in my hair), but I might have to make an attempt. Chocolate chip cookies with a coconutty hint to them sounds heavenly!

I just wanted to revive this thread as I too am curious about using coconut oil. I have read that is good for helping metabolism, lowering of cholestoral, and has antiviral properties. My cholestorel is on the higher end of the normal range and I would like to lower it. As well as wanting to lose some weight.

I'm just curious to know how I would ingest it to achieve maximum health benefits? Besides all of the great ideas you guys have given. I don't bake much or have make many smoothies. Can I put it on my morning coffee for flavor? Can I use it as I would butter on my english muffin? Can I saute veggies with it?

Would it be better to have a brand that doesn't taste to coconutty? I love coconut so it wouldn't bother me but I'm thinking I might get better use of unflavored coconut oil. And how do I tell the difference btwn flavored and not flavored when purchasing? My local supermarket has the Spectrum brand. It is pricey and not really knowing how to utilize it is keeping me from purchasing it.

Jenn

My cholestorel is on the higher end of the normal range and I would like to lower it. As well as wanting to lose some weight.

Can I put it on my morning coffee for flavor? no

Can I use it as I would butter on my english muffin? yes, sprinkle a little salt, its naturally salt free.

Can I saute veggies with it? "]yes, its very good.

And how do I tell the difference btwn flavored and not flavored when purchasing?
You can't tell until you try it, but the 'unrefined' tastes more coconutty than the refined. Don't get the 'extra virgin' if you want to avoid the taste.

Its great on oatmeal with some molasses.

Coconut oil is great for sauteing because it remains stable at high temperatures. You can use it for any type of baking too in place of butter. Tropical Traditions has a informative website explaining the different types. I've linked their recipe page, you have to scroll down a bit to find them all listed, there are quite a few.

Coconut Recipes - Free Recipes Using Gluten Free Coconut Flour, Coconut Oil, & more

I've ordered from them several times, good stuff!

High in saturated fat

I've been doing some reading on coconut oil, and see that it is much higher in saturated fat than other "heart-healthy" fats that are polyunsaturated or monounsaturated.

Wouldn't the high level of saturated fat negate the other health benefits of coconut oil?

Just wondering cause I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to fats, and find it confusing when trying to choose the best type of fat to cook or bake with.

Confused

OK - so I'm really confused now. Further to my research - I've learned from one website that saturated fats are the best to use for cooking, and then another says to never use saturated fats in cooking.

One website says that canola oil is the ideal, but another says that its the worst.

Where do I go for reliable information? The web is filled with conflicting reports!!

OK - so I'm really confused now. Further to my research - I've learned from one website that saturated fats are the best to use for cooking, and then another says to never use saturated fats in cooking.

One website says that canola oil is the ideal, but another says that its the worst.

Where do I go for reliable information? The web is filled with conflicting reports!!

Dr. Mary Enig is a very reliable source on fats. Here is a link that is on a *coconut* site, but they are links to her articles. Coconutoil.com - Research on Coconut Oil's Benefits by Dr. Mary Enig

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.