50 and over February check in

Jann

Cathlete
Thought I would start a new thread. :D That groundhog didn't see his shadow!! yay!

I did Low Impact Circuit cardio only then 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Last edited:
The groundhog definitely wouldn't have seen his shadow here today! Dreary and snow flurries which has been an all to common theme the last few days. I could use some sunshine!

Just got in my first workout of the new rotation. Tabatacise 1-10 and Burn Sets back plus the 45 second planks. I can already tell that I'm probably going to max out on side planks within a week or so, so I'll just have to hold them as long as I can.

Had planned to get up early and workout before Derek's first tournament game and then slept through my cell alarm. They won their first game lost the second to the team that just doesn't belong in the league, and then we came home and had lunch before going back for the consolation game which they won. Now he starts practice with the 5th grade only tournament team on Tuesday.

Jann I am soooooo excited for you!!! I think it's fantastic that you are going and can't wait to hear all the details. Sorry to everyone else for no comments, but with everything else back on the old thread I can't remember everything.

cathe - your kids sure keep you running around.

Jann - we are going to love hearing all the details about your trip.

Wasn't needed at work this morning so I did Supercuts for the first time. Ouch. It felt tough but I burned 280 calories. I had to go in to work from 3pm till 7 pm.

Warning: Ranting

Sorry girls! I have to unload here because this is the kind of thing husbands and skiiny friends get tired of hearing about!

I just ran 14 miles-- after two weeks of logging my food and keeping it under 1200 calories and GUESS WHAT? I gained a pound from the day before and am the same as 2 weeks ago! I am fatter than ever!:mad:

Granted my weight training ha slacke off for the cardio-- and I am sorer than ever-- but what is wrong with me?? Have any of you lost pounds on the 90 rotation- or just inches?

Iron Mom, I feel your pain. I am currently doing WW and following the 90 day Undulating Xtrain Rotation and adding in Zumba 2 nights a week. I have had weeks where I have gained weight in spite of following my diet and exercising religiously. I have watched people lose oodles of weight without working half as hard as me.Right now the weight has started to move, finally. One thing I have changed is my sugar/carb intake. While I am not on a traditional low carb diet I eliminated all simple carbs from my diet in conjunction with the WW points. I have finally noticed a difference. Once a week I use my extra points to eat something I really want - and that is usually pizza . I have also eliminated the weekend wine. I actually feel a big difference and I do not feel deprived at all. Another thing I noticed, ( people please don't throw things) the Xtrain rotation, while challenging, isn't as hard on my body as some of the other workouts I've been doing. Last of all, I've been forcing myself to get more sleep so that I have at least 7 1/2 hrs each night. These things have worked for me and I've incorporated them all at around the same time so I'm not sure if there is one single thing that helped or the combination. How is the quality of what you are eating? Are you sleeping enough? Are your workouts draining and causing your body stress? I have always had the mind set that harder, longer workouts had to be better, now I'm not so sure. Just some things to consider. HTH

{{{Beth}}} I hear ya!! MFP has me at 1200 calories :eek::eek:. When I was eating 1200 or a little less and working out -- I was NOT losing. I have since up my calories to 1300+ a little and I have been losing! :confused::confused:
I think Jenn has nailed it -- you have put your body into "stress" and it is holding on to the calories. Running is HARD!! I also have been really watching sugar grams even tho eating fruit makes my number a bit high, I try to stay at around 35 or under. And carbs, I changed the MFP to up my protein and lower my carb grams -- all this seems to be working better for me.
Also eating something every 2-3 hours...
We are all different and finding that "right" combo is hard. Change it up and see what happens. You are burning a ton of calories and maybe your body is like "whoa!! I need to hold on the things!!!" :D

Jennifer many people are saying the same thing about xtrain. ;)

I forogt to check-in. :eek:
Butt and guts premix standing legs and abs. I just ♥♥♥ the music in the sash series!!! :D

Did Legs Standing & Rear Delts this morning. Slept until almost 8 and would have kept sleeping if I hadn't heard Derek up. That was courtesy of my friendly middle of the night wake up time. :roll eyes:

In all honesty, I haven't gotten on my scale since sometime last summer and based on how my clothes fit, it doesn't seem to matter what I do, everything stays the same. I never had to watch what I ate until I hit perimenopause and I truly suck at trying to do that. However, I appear to be great at maintaining where I am now which is at least 10 lbs heavier than where I want to be, but at least I'm maintaining that!

Thanks for the pep talk Jenn and Jann! I changed the settings on MFP so that I eat less carbs and I added the sugar button-- so maybe that will help! Somethings got to give soon!

Next week I am going to try to add back in the weight workouts- I think I'll just rotate them on my own! I know the weights are important!

It is still hard to believe that a body is capable of "holding on" to fat when not eating enough. It seems like eventually it would have to let go and drop them! But that's what they say!!

When I was in my 20's I joined a gym that had opened where I was living. In those days, gyms were not everywhere. They had hired a guy that had trained models in NYC to show people what to do with the weights. He put me on a 10 min warmup on the bike, then a general all body weight routine-- In two months I looked like a different person and never even thought to change it up. I wonder sometimes if I over think it!:)

Iron-Mom just hang in there!! You WILL see results.

I guess I forgot to officially check in today too. Today was supposed to be a rest day but I felt like doing something so I did 2 short Zumba workouts on my wii, and about 5 songs from Just Dance 4- Still trying to perfect my Justin Bieber routine.lol:rolleyes: Believe it or not that was about 50 minutes of sweaty fun and I burned 400 calories. I am a total kid at heart. I bought myself my own Wii for my 50th b-day after my kids took theirs to college with them. My family thinks I'm nuts, but in a fun kind of way:D

Jennifer- I bought myself a x-box 360 with Kinnect so I could do zumba! I havent used it as much as I thought but that sounds like a fun way to burn some extra calories!!

Hi ladies. I agree with the good advice you all gave Beth. Since doing Kettlebells workouts I've learned that long workouts do stress the body. Also lack of sleep. Dr oz said anything which stresses the body causes increase in the cortisol levels. That leads to weight gain and belly fat.

Also a good idea is to check your sugar carb grams. A lot of processed foods that are low fat/heathy is full of sugar. Even ketchup has sugar in it. So it's a good idea to try to keep it low. I try to have a chest meal which is always high in carbs once or two times per week.

Body builders always say a flat stomach is made in the kitchen. I think trying to lose weight is a big stressor by itself. Why not try to challenge yourself and become more fit.

My workout will be lower body blast (with the beautiful Hawaii background ) and 100 thrust challenge.

Ironmom - Yep, we have all been there. It is frustrating. I ran a 15K in October and even with all the training I did not really lose any weight. It is a learning process for each one of us. Getting fit should be the ultimate goal. That requires, eating clean :( Doing aerobics and lifting weights. Quick fluctuations in weight are just water. And the closer you are to your goal weight the slower the lbs come off. My story is that I am skinny fat. I lost about a pound a month trying to lose fat and add muscle. I have lost 10 lbs in the last year and about 4percent body fat. I am at my goal weight but still am flabby but better. I am a LOT stronger though and healthier. You have to lift weights to look better and be able to keep the weight off cause skinny flabby ain't pretty. :mad: It is a slow learning process. Just keep looking for ways to do it better. I just remember the REALLY HOT looking young lady that was complaining that she weighs 190 lbs and all the guys were drooling. Its not about the scale.
sheila

Whew 100 hip thrust done and it still burns. I started with 30 # bb but had to drop it down to 25. Amanda had a 45# bb. I want to grow up to be just like her ;)

Ironmom - Yep, we have all been there. It is frustrating. I ran a 15K in October and even with all the training I did not really lose any weight. It is a learning process for each one of us. Getting fit should be the ultimate goal. That requires, eating clean :( Doing aerobics and lifting weights. Quick fluctuations in weight are just water. And the closer you are to your goal weight the slower the lbs come off. My story is that I am skinny fat. I lost about a pound a month trying to lose fat and add muscle. I have lost 10 lbs in the last year and about 4percent body fat. I am at my goal weight but still am flabby but better. I am a LOT stronger though and healthier. You have to lift weights to look better and be able to keep the weight off cause skinny flabby ain't pretty. :mad: It is a slow learning process. Just keep looking for ways to do it better. I just remember the REALLY HOT looking young lady that was complaining that she weighs 190 lbs and all the guys were drooling. Its not about the scale.
sheila

I agree! This is why I like the kardashion (sp?) because they show young ladies that everyone is not a size 0.

Today I did Supercuts for the first time! I thought it was a really fun, fast moving workout......until we got to the last exercise. Holy moly the woman is totally insane! Those sit up/push up combos at that speed were killing me. I could do about 3 to her 5 and opted out of the last couple rounds. Up till that point, I'd been keeping up just fine.

I then did my planks. 60 seconds regular plank and face up plank and did 45 seconds on each side plank. My wrists apparently need to build up some strength for those because they give out before the rest of me.

This morning was burn sets Chest,Back , Shoulders. I love this workout. It made me feel so strong. Went to Zumba after work only to find out it was cancelled, oh well. I'll go tomorrow. Sitting here enjoying a delicious cup of Teavanna! I think I'm addicted:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.