My squat thrust days are over so instead of modifying the move I replace them with 2 x Plyo jacks as these are a 4 count move just as the squat thrust is 8. Or, if my step is handy I’ll replace the squat thrust segment with fast foot repeaters (Cathe has so many moves in her library, just take your pick and stop when she stops). So long as you keep moving then you’re getting the job done.

If the move, however, is a weight training exercise designed to target a specific muscle group, then an exercise modification or other similar exercise is definitely necessary to ensure you achieve the objective.

To generalise, it’s not entirely necessary to modify a cardio/hiit move when you can simply replace it with something you can do to build CV stamina.

Last edited:
I am definitely not high impact, but this looks like it might be easy to modify
Down from what I see, so excited to try that.
Let me know if you need help modifying anything once you've tried it. Air jacks and tuck jumps can be modified by leaving one foot down while the other leg lifts up. Squat thrusts can be modified by inserting two to three grounded air squats in its place.

Hi Everyone! I noticed many of you were looking for options so I'll list some here. Also, feel free to insert any of your favorite modified moves you already know work well for you on certain exercises. Air jacks and tuck jumps can be modified by leaving one foot down while the other leg lifts up. Squat thrusts can be modified by inserting two to four grounded air squats (for a standing low impact option) or two plyo jacks (as a high impact standing option) in its place. If you prefer a low impact squat thrust modification, squat down and put both hands down to the floor and tap the right leg back (or left if you prefer) and pull it back in next to the other leg and then stand up. If one of my squat thrusts versions is longer then you'll have time to squat thrust down and tap your right leg back and in and then you left leg back and in too before standing up. Also, take a peek at low impact hiit once you get the Perfect Hiit DVD as there might be an option on there you could use for a modification as well. Some of the other high impact moves are easily modified by keeping the movement the same by lifting up onto the toes and simply removing the jump (ie : pencil shoots) Get ready to have fun everybody.

Thank you so much Cathe! A lot of the ones you listed, I have been using :)
Always on your "faster" squat thrusts, I do like you suggested, going down,
Only step one leg back & in, and stand and alternate. That's great....think I will
Try the grounded standing pulse squats or air squats too and see how that works.
Again, thanks for your ideas....

Yay! Thank you so much!! :cool:

Should be able to keep me feeling fairly in sync with the workout without getting distracted by subbing an entirely different move.

Hi Everyone! I noticed many of you were looking for options so I'll list some here. Also, feel free to insert any of your favorite modified moves you already know work well for you on certain exercises. Air jacks and tuck jumps can be modified by leaving one foot down while the other leg lifts up. Squat thrusts can be modified by inserting two to four grounded air squats (for a standing low impact option) or two plyo jacks (as a high impact standing option) in its place. If you prefer a low impact squat thrust modification, squat down and put both hands down to the floor and tap the right leg back (or left if you prefer) and pull it back in next to the other leg and then stand up. If one of my squat thrusts versions is longer then you'll have time to squat thrust down and tap your right leg back and in and then you left leg back and in too before standing up. Also, take a peek at low impact hiit once you get the Perfect Hiit DVD as there might be an option on there you could use for a modification as well. Some of the other high impact moves are easily modified by keeping the movement the same by lifting up onto the toes and simply removing the jump (ie : pencil shoots) Get ready to have fun everybody.

I agree with your thoughts, Lady Vol Fan, that's my main goal too, to try and do something very similar to what
they are doing in the workout, so I can feel I am still with them and doing what they are doing, even tho' I am
modifying. It's hard to tell from the clips exactly how it's all gonna be, and if a certain combo of moves is
repeated, so you can do all right lead, then left, or you need to alternate. but I think we will be ok :)

See if these modifications help.... Air jacks and tuck jumps can be modified by leaving one foot down while the other leg lifts up. Squat thrusts can be modified by inserting two to three grounded air squats in its place.
Thank you Cathe, that is very helpful. I have so many of your workouts—both dvds and Live—that don’t require so many modifications so I will probably not do this one.

Thank you so much Cathe! A lot of the ones you listed, I have been using :)
Always on your "faster" squat thrusts, I do like you suggested, going down,
Only step one leg back & in, and stand and alternate. That's great....think I will
Try the grounded standing pulse squats or air squats too and see how that works.
Again, thanks for your ideas....
Absolutely! Glad to help! Also, when the day comes that you actually do the workout I can help again if you get stuck with an option.

For squat thrusts/burpees I use a modification from Shaun T's Focus T25. The main issue I have with squat thrusts is that I get dizzy going from the ground to standing and this modification removes that. The standard squat thrust is a 4 count move, count 1 squat and place your hands on the ground, count 2 thrust your legs back, count 3 bring your legs back in, count 4 stand (or jump) up. For the modification, count 1 you do a shallower squat placing your hands on your thighs above the knees, count 2 you thrust one leg back into a lunge while bringing your hands out in front of you (kind of like a warrior lunge), count 3 you bring your leg back in to a squat returning your hands to your thighs, count 4 stand up. Alternate the leg you lunge back with. The low lunge gives you a good glute workout on the standing leg too.

For squat thrusts/burpees I use a modification from Shaun T's Focus T25. The main issue I have with squat thrusts is that I get dizzy going from the ground to standing and this modification removes that. The standard squat thrust is a 4 count move, count 1 squat and place your hands on the ground, count 2 thrust your legs back, count 3 bring your legs back in, count 4 stand (or jump) up. For the modification, count 1 you do a shallower squat placing your hands on your thighs above the knees, count 2 you thrust one leg back into a lunge while bringing your hands out in front of you (kind of like a warrior lunge), count 3 you bring your leg back in to a squat returning your hands to your thighs, count 4 stand up. Alternate the leg you lunge back with. The low lunge gives you a good glute workout on the standing leg too.
Great modification. Thanks for sharing!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.