Push It

Good morning ladies! This week I have still been plugging away at the 1RM tests. I need to double check but I think I just have one last set left. I don't remember if I mentioned this before but last year I had created some weight workouts in the workout manager to break down the 1RM testing into workouts that I could use over and over again. I was glad I had done that because it was very helpful! It also saves me from having to figure out exactly which exercises are in the STS vs ones just listed in the workout manager. I think thought that I skipped the last few in workouts 1 & 2 (I have 6 altogether) so I will need to double check that. I have been thinking of doing different non-STS leg workouts so I skipped the leg tests as well. I'm looking forward to getting back to more serious workouts since my sleep issues have returned. I can't seem to shut my mind off from work and things with Tyler especially after bad days like yesterday.

Toni
Congrats to Jasmine! 2nd place is great! Glad to hear your shoulder is feeling better as well. I don't know about Jasmine but Tyler is a horrible sleeper. He flips around all over the bed and no matter what the size of it is, he will take up the entire thing!

By the way, I find that KB's really kick my hiney. I need a lot more breaks when I do them vs other workouts. According to RKC, adult women should start with 18lb ones. I had an opportunity to train with some certified instructors last year for free but unfortunately, I didn't have the time to take them up on their generous offer.

Caitlin
I didn't realize that you hadn't preorder Cathe's DVDs. I didn't do that for the LIS series and wound up buying a lot of them later on for a much higher price :(. Have you looked on eBay? I bought quite a bit of my collection from there.

I tried several Christi Taylor DVDs from the library. I didn't mind her but I liked Cathe's style better.

Nancy
It sounds like you are enjoying your new workouts. I'm sure you will figure out a rotation that works for you!

HeartyMax
Are all your runs the same length? If I remember correctly, running.com recommends varying the length of your runs each week. It a great site if you haven't check it out yet!

Natasha
Congrats on the dead lift numbers! Did I see a mention that you are getting a squat rack? I will be super jealous if you do! That's been on my list for a long time!

Jennifer
Glad that your back problems aren't serious! I hope it continues to get better for you!

I gotta run and get the trash out before the truck comes and pick it up. About a month ago, I found myself running after the trash truck with nothing but a nightgown on! Have a great day everyone!

I bought Party Rockin Step II

I bought Party Rocking Step II on Ebay, and there was free shipping,so I saved on the shipping. I overdid yesterday, so today is going to be very short.

Is it Friday already?????:confused:
I don't know how it snuck up on me like it did, but I can't believe it's already here! I'm not complaining...I just wonder where the week went :p!
Last night I did Workout "A" of the Bootiful Beginner's Strong Curves program for the second time this week. I increased weight and reps on some moves and felt like I had a nice groove going...my cat has learned to not jump up on my step when I'm doing box squats (he got squashed the first time!). I used an unloaded barbell for the box squats to get a better feel for them...it weighs 10#. Next time I'll be ready for more serious weight ;)! I started out with a Cathe-style warm up before foam rolling, and moved the stretches to after the mobility work. I also did a modified version of the STS Extended Stretch at the end. I tacked on 10 reps of bicep curls, lateral raises, and triceps extensions; and I did some calf raises too! I may just do a body-part add on to each weight day with Burn Sets (even though Bret allows only 5 minutes per session for isolation work :eek:). I want to keep these workouts to under an hour, though, so I'll have to gauge my time better.
Tonight I'll be doing Workout "C" and tomorrow is Flextrain which always gets my shoulders and tris nicely ;)!
The thing that is the hardest for me to adjust to is not training as hard as I possibly can. I think I have been overdoing it for a while and that has been working against me (both Nia and Bret stress the importance of NOT overtraining). I found that it was getting difficult for me lift the weight I lifted the time before I did a particular workout (granted, I'd have a month between them because I had so much variety going on). The only thing that really changes between the workouts (like Gym Styles or Pyramid) is the order of exercises and sometimes the number of reps and speed of the reps; but for some reason, it would really suck the life out of me :rolleyes:!
Anyway, I know that I'll find my happy medium and start getting results again!

Caitlin, hope you enjoy your new step workout! I used to really love Step Blast once I got the moves down! I think I may get brave and try one of the new step routines when my foot is feeling particularly strong! Watch out for that over-training! It can derail all your efforts and have you spinning your wheels!

Stacie, I love that you turned the 1 RM into workouts! That was very smart of you! How many times have you done STS? I hope it helps with the sleep issues! I've been falling out pretty early all this week, didn't even occur to me that it may be the new routine :eek:!

Toni, I think Strong Curves is available in electronic form. How's the shoulder doing? Isn't it crazy how NOT doing anything can cause almost as much discomfort as working out really hard????!!!! Not fair :p!

Jen, congrats on your team's win last night ;)! I really hate the Sox's beards. I hope you guys cream them :D! If I ever get a chance today, I'm going to check out the rotation you did of Strong Curves. I like the idea of using Cathe for upper body and cardio :). I have to make sure I don't over-do things though...Bret has me scared of over-training! I've been doing some of the activation drills at work (the ones from Kellie's Get Glutes post on Waking Up Your Glutes at Work) and anyplace else no one can see me! Lots of squeezing going on ;)! I don't want to gain any size really, I just want to lift them up more :p! My sister used to do this test to see if she was getting flabby by putting a pencil horizontally in the spot between her buttock and thigh. If it stayed there she would diet like crazy; if it just fell to the floor she thought everything was okay :p!

Tasha, what weight do you use to do kettle-bell swings? I have some medicine balls that I bought from Cathe that have a handle that you can attach to turn it into a kettle-bell, but they are only 6# and 8#. I haven't tried them for swings yet. I'm going to use my band/door thingy for the cable pull-throughs, but I'm thinking of a getting a better band system. I loved Jennifer's idea about having several door mounts in place along the hinge side for high, medium, and low heights!

Okay ladies, I'm going to eat my lunch (salad with turkey and lots of veggies! and a beautiful pear!) so I'll sign off for now!

Have a butt-kickin' day!:cool:

Hi ladies!

yesterday was my rest day. I was really sore, so thankful for the rest :). My w/o on Thurd was:

1) 5x6R front squats

2) 5x6R push-ups superset w/
5x6R inverted rows

3) 2x15R hip thrusts

I was really tired because I had a rough night with Bella (she's sick AGAIN :mad:) so I took it easy. Apparently not easy enough because I'm DOMS'ing bad lol :p.

Caitlin
I don't do much step anymore but I still really love complex choreo! And I agree with Nancy, always take your rest days. Over training DOES exist, so take care of yourself :).

Stacie
I'm sorry to hear about the sleep :(.
Meh, I could never get into doing all those 1RM tests :rolleyes:. I love that you take the time and do them because I'm sure it's worth the effort.
Ya, I NEED A RACK! It's not so much a want anymore, it's an actual need because one of my goals is to squat up to 200lbs :eek:. I am determined as hell within the year to move some serious weight :eek:.

Toni
Congrats on Jasmine's 2nd place! You must be the proud mamma :).
Unfortunately my KB's are too light :(. I only have a 5lbs & 10lbs, which is good for some UB high rep stuff, but not swings. I could easily swing 25lbs+, and you probably could as well. Ya, they are expensive so I was thinking of getting a used one.
Make sure to check out all of Elliott's shoulder health stuff! I truly love that dude :). He is a plethora of helpful info.

Jennifer
I'm glad to hear your back is feeling a bit better. I didn't know all that back stuff ran in your family :(. Gosh, if it makes you feel any better some of my genetics suck too :mad:. No one that I know of except my great-grandmother, was active and lived a healthy lifestyle. Everyone has osteoporosis, arthritis, ect. including my mother and grandmother. To be honest, they don't even move much. I am determined to not end up like them!
The play you are going to attend sounds SO cool! I used to love going to play's and opera's when I was younger BC (before child lol ;)).

Nancy
I saw Nia vid! I have no clue how I'm going to make that happen though :confused::(. I would have to buy that band AND see how to secure it.
Bret's hip thruster is $600! So cool, yes, but heck NO! I was floored when I saw the $$.
I'm so proud of you for diving into Bret's program so fast! It seems as though you are enjoying the w/o's too, which is even better.
I know what you mean about the over-training. Even though I am still young, I could just feel that working out 6X/week was too much for me. I would wake up almost always with a high HR, and that is just one of the sure tell-tale signs. I also felt like my joints and muscles were taking too much of a beating, you know? More is def not better!
I have 10lbs KB for swings, but it's TOO easy! I could probably go with a 25lbs, and so could you. If you want a KB for just swings, I would go with 20-25lbs, no less.
And thank you for the pic love :eek:.

Have a kick butt day ladies!

Tasha
I bought this squat rack Squat Rack

If I remember correctly, you have a small space like me. Because this is just two individual pieces you can move it easily and put it in the corner if need be. I don't think people could use it for 600+ pounds, but I'm pretty sure it would work for 200 lbs. Check out the reviews and see what you think.

Oh and in addition to being a space saver, it's nice if you don't have an olympic bar. I had a hard time finding something that worked with my bar. Most of the ones that are one piece don't work with my bar.

Ok...got to run and do TTM. I skipped yesterday, so I'm making it up today :eek:

Tasha
I bought this squat rack Squat Rack

If I remember correctly, you have a small space like me. Because this is just two individual pieces you can move it easily and put it in the corner if need be. I don't think people could use it for 600+ pounds, but I'm pretty sure it would work for 200 lbs. Check out the reviews and see what you think.

Oh and in addition to being a space saver, it's nice if you don't have an olympic bar. I had a hard time finding something that worked with my bar. Most of the ones that are one piece don't work with my bar.

Ok...got to run and do TTM. I skipped yesterday, so I'm making it up today :eek:

Thanks Toni! I was looking at one very similar! My Xmas gift from ME to ME :eek:.

Happy Sunday!
Can't believe it's Sunday already and I've missed checking in again - haven't done a whole lot, though. Still the pinched nerve but still getting better. You can imagine how frustrated I am but at the same time I really am trying to stay focused on my blessings.

Friday and Saturday I had to skip due to business but Thursday and this morning I did glutes; low weights and high reps. I also threw in several sets of upper back/rear delts/triceps.

Of course I'm dying to get back into a normal routine, some regular cardio - still haven't tried any of the new step workouts - and heavy weights.

Nancy,
I have several of the SPRI door attachments for the cable exercises - absolutely love them.

Ugh-those Sox's beards are gross!

I also work out harder now than when I was younger; protein is awesome. Filling and important. You're probably in better shape now than ever! I know I am, other than these pesky aches and pains. Luckily they really are few/far between - this is just dragging on long but at least I can still move!

LOL about your cat! The reason I laugh is because m cat learned the hard way as well! That was years ago, though, and she's been gone for years now... but not from being squished!

You are doing an awesome job with your training! I love having people to talk with about this stuff! It's great that your hubby helped you with the 45-degree extension!

Toni,
Congrats on Jasmine's competition! I hope your shoulder feels better soon.

Tash,
I hope Bella feels better (again!) and you're able to get some sleep!

Stacie,
It's cool that your previous 1RM is in w/o manager. Glad you're moving right along regarding STS; you'll be feeling energized and sleeping like a baby in no time:D
So sorry to hear you're having some bad days:( Working out seems to make everything a little better. Or maybe it's just me who thinks so.

Heartymax,
How's things goin?

Caitlin,
Hope all is well!

Gotta get ready for church; have an awesome day! Oh, and I hope to check in tomorrow with a good report!

October's gettin' spoooky ladies!!!!!:p Everywhere I go I see little monsters and princesses...these kids are really milkin' it for all it's worth! I haven't had trick-or-treaters in about 15 years, so I don't have to deal with the candy temptation; however, due to the huge pouty lip my husband gets when I tell him there will be no "contriband" in the house, I have stashed an organic fancy schmancy chocolate bar to surprise him with (and yes, I'm having some too!). We used to buy stuff for the trick-or-treaters but ended up always eating it all before Halloween arrived :eek:!

So, I started up Week 2 of the Strong Curves Booty-ful Beginners workout. For some reason, I see "bodyweight squat" and just have to load up a barbell :rolleyes:! Last night's workout was much more challenging with the weight added. I don't think I'm really a "beginner", but I'm not advanced enough to do pull ups and don't have access to some of the equipment needed for the Advanced workout. Plus, I really want to get a feel for this type of rotation before I go all "Tasha" on it ;):p:D! On my 2 cardio days (Wednesday and Saturday) I'll be doing X10 Double Low Impact premix + Core#1, and Flextrain. Last night I added some barbell bicep curls and tricep dips off my bench. Tonight I'll add rear delts and calves.

Jennifer, the World Series has been interesting, hasn't it ;)???? My DH and I are rooting for SL and have our hearts in our throats today!!!!! I am plugging along with Bret's program and have a wish list going for equipment :eek:! I want a new stretchy band system (I checked out the SPRI site; THAT'S what I want!!!!); also Toni's suggestion on the squat rack is PERFECT!!!!! Tasha's suggestion on a heavy kettle-bell is calling me too!!!! I'm also trying to figure out how I can build my own Hip Thruster like Bret's :p!!! I'm ready to just chuck all the living room furniture and build my little workout space the way I need it ;)!!!! (Guests can sit on my bench and stability ball, right?).

Okay, I have to watch an Elliot video that Tasha recommended....so bye for now!

I lifted 90lbs like A BOSS yesterday :eek:

My w/o was :

1) 5x6R conventional deads (lowered the bar 1inch. 90lbs!!!)

2) 5x6R chin-ups (2 full unassisted in a row!!!) superset w/
5x6R overhead press (40lbs and it was easy )

Then I added:
3) 2x25R glute bridges superset w/
15R sliding back lunges

So happy cuz' I'm def getting stronger! I'm truly addicted to this program. I can validate everything Nia says because I'm experiencing all of it first hand. A barbell is not about just lifting a barbell -- it's so much more than that. It shapes your mind in so many way that I can't even explain. I feel SO good and very thankful for my body and it's amazing capabilities!

Jennifer

I hope your back recovers very soon. I can empathize with your frustration because as you know I've been there myself. Stay strong!

Nancy
Don't worry about loading up the barbell -- you got time for that! It's amazing how increasingly strong your body will get as the weeks go by. What I've learned is that doing an actual squat to parallel/below WITH weight, takes a lot of practice, time, consistency. You're doing great :).
I love those little Halloween chocolates :p. I'm not a big fan of candy tho, so at least I'm good there lol ;). What I actually do sometimes before a w/o is eat a little bit size kit kat. It gives me the perfect little sugar boost before my lifting sessions :eek:.

Have a great day everyone :cool:

Sorry I missed this weekend, but DH got home from France on Saturday and I wanted to spend some quality time with him since he had to leave again today :mad:

No workout on Sunday. Monday was GS Chest/Tri and today was Pedal Power and a feeble attempt at core. I was so tired I just couldn't put much into the core work. I'm going to try and do some tonight. We shal see. I enjoyed GS yesterday but I found that I had to drop the weights from what I was doing in STS. She just does so many reps for that one muscle group. It seems that I can either do more reps with less weight or less reps with more weight. It's almost like M1 of STS without switching muscles groups for each exercise :confused: But I have some DOMS today, so I'm sure it worked!!

You guys are all kicking some serious bootay with the decication to your programs :cool: My year has been pretty rough and I just don't have the mental capacity for it right now. Good news is that I see light at the end of the tunnel!! My youngest step daughter(the problematic one) is doing much better in school this year. And we have blessed PEACE in my household :D I'm looking forward to the holidays because DH has some time off coming up and he'll be home lots :)

Tasha
2 unassisted pull ups???? I should say first off I had no doubt that you would get to this point and I'm sure you will go beyond it, but it's still super awesome to hear about it!!

Nancy
Good luck as you get started with Brett's program!! I'm sure you will do really well!! I see you like the squat rack I showed Tasha. I love mine. I do pull ups with it also(well what version of them I can do).

Jennifer
The shoulder is better :) I hope your back continues to get better. I hate when I have injuries :mad:

Ok...I have to run. If the evening continues the way it's going my DS13 may not live to the morning :mad::mad::mad: Him and this science class is KILLING me...ugh!!

Good evening ladies! Last night was my first night of STS....holy moly did I get sore later on today. It's a good sore though so bring on the DOMS! I was a little bummed out though that my 1RM numbers were a bit too high but I'll just adjust and keep moving forward. :D

Toni
Glad to hear things are getting better at home! I hope DS made it through the night as well ;).

Natasha
Congrats on the weight increases! That's great that you are seeing progress.

Nancy
I always start with a beginner rotation too when I first start a new program. It's always good to get a feel for what you are getting into first. You can always up everything later or do in again with weights!

Jennifer
I'm sorry to hear that you are still dealing with the pinched nerve :(. I really do hope that you feel better soon!

HeartyMax
I nearly bought Cathe's padded step last night since it was the deal of the day and I could get a free calendar out of it. Are you still loving yours?

Have a great night everyone!

I hope everyone had a spooky Halloween yesterday. Bella dressed up as Rapunzel. I have attached a pic :).

My w/o yesterday was:

1) 5x6R front squats
I used 70lbs but found that I could have went a bit heavier. I really love front squats because they force great posture, solid core, upright position. The only thing that is a bit uncomfortable is the bar position on the front of the shoulder's. I'm actually getting used to the bar being there and feel like I could easily be front squatting close to 100lbs with 4R in my next phase. Baby steps .

2) 5x6R push-ups with 12lbs vest superset w/
5x6R inverted rows with a 12lbs vest (lowering the bar to make it more difficult)

3) 2x25R hip thrust w/65lbs

*beach work*
1) 2x10R barbell curls
2) 2x10R tricep kickbacks
3) 2x10R barbell upright rows

During my breaks I added firewalker's, KB swings, goblet squats :eek:.

Stacie
WTG on starting STS again! I bet you loved all those push-ups, eh? :eek:

Toni
I'm glad to hear about your step-daughter doing better :).
Thanks for the props in the pull-ups :eek:. It's amazing what your body is capable of when you are consistent and determined :).

Have a great day :cool:

Attachments

• 2013-10-31 17.55.08 (1).jpg
    2013-10-31 17.55.08 (1).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 16
Happy Friday :D Let's see...Wed was GS Bi/Back/Shoulders, Thursday was KR, and today was LLB :eek: I'm tired :cool: So glad tomorrow is a rest day and oh so glad for no work tomorrow!!

Tasha
Bella is too cute in that outfit!!

Stacie
Yes, DS made it through the night...barely :rolleyes: So glad you are back posting!! I'm going to do STS again starting in Jan. I've got to get myself back in shape so M1 doesn't kill me :mad:

Howdy everybody!

Hope Halloween was fun for everyone. We ended up missing the play we were supposed to see (Young Frankenstein) because I had to work late which was a big bummer. However last night one of my gym friends took me and Craig to a play called Fly; it's about the African American Aviators in WW2 and the challenges they went through. It was a great play. I rationalize that the money I spent on Young Frankenstein tickets could technically have been used for the free Fly tickets;)

Yep, my back continues to bother me but it continues to get better. I did go to the doctor last week (for a physical and to talk about my back) and if the situation isn't resolved in another month then we will re-evaluate my situation. In the meantime I still use ice and heat, sticking with low impact, and stretching (not yoga).

My last several workouts (in addition to glute activation and glute work) have been:

Pedal power - premix #3 is my favorite!
High Reps - first time in a long time I've done that since I've been so stuck on Burn Sets (still my fav). I think my next upper body workout will be PUB... that's still taking it fairly easy compared to Burn Sets as far as I'm concerned.
Party Rockin' Step #2 finally for the first time; SO fun! Of course I had to rewind a few times however it didn't take a lot of extra time and it didn't take long enough to lower my heart rate.
Then this morning was All Out Low Impact Step followed by Total Body Stretching Ball #1 and Ball #2 segments; they felt great:)

Stacie,
WoHoo! Congrats on starting STS! I bet it felt great to get started with that again. You'll get all your strength back, plus some, in no time at all!

How was Tyler's Halloween? Did he have a blast trick-or-treating or what?

Tash,
Loving your strength gains! No doubt that Nia's program works! Love the variety of your workouts, and certainly you have found the program that keeps you motivated, strong, healthy, and happy:D

Congrats on your awesome front squats! You are awesome! Super-great *beach work*!

Nancy,
I bet DH was happy to get a nice chocolate surprise from you for Halloween:)

Nice job with week2 of Bret's program! Glad you're liking it. I still am surprised when I see myself in the mirror at the results I see from his program, even after taking it easy this past month there are still things I can do that don't hurt my back and yet still work my glutes.

I bought his Bodyweight training book; it's been an interesting read so far! I love the illustrations.

Yep, bummer about the Cardinals. The look on our manager's face (Mike Matheny who, by the way, I think is incredibly handsome) at the end of the 6th game brought tears to my eyes. However I can see how determined the Red Sox were and they just simply out-played us Red Birds. Maybe the Tigers and the Cardinals will be in the Series next year:D

Toni,
I'm so happy to hear that things are going so well. You deserve it!

Nice job with GS; that is a great series! So glad your shoulder is better.

Did the kids have a great time trick-or-treating?

Best I guess bet for now - have some showering and errands to do. Have a wonderful Saturday!

A few hours ago my oldest brother passed away from a heart attack. He was only 60. My heart is breaking...I will miss him for the rest of my life. I'll be traveling up to Michigan to say goodbye. He and my mother were very close and she is just numb with grief. My sister, the oldest of us kids,and my two older brothers are with her now, trying to console her....He leaves behind a wife, 2 sons, a daughter, a grandson (named after him), and a granddaughter due in February.
I may be sporadically posting for the next few days...but I intend on keeping up with my workouts...it's the only thing I can control right now. :(:(:(:(:(

Nancy,
I am SO sorry to hear about your brother. My prayers are with you and your family. I couldn't agree more that continuing with your workouts is one of the best things you can do. ((((BIG hugs)))).

Tasha---Bella must have been the cutest little Rapunzel ever. She is so adorable.:D

Nancy--- I am sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers to your family.

Stacie
---I do love my new step. It is much softer than the other one and makes burpees and everything else so much more comfortable. It is also nice having the more risers now when I do my upper body workouts.

I have so much catching up to do since I haven't been on the forum much lately. I am sure everyone has been rocking out some totally awesome workouts. Tasha back is probably ripped by now., Toni's shoulders are getting stronger and Jennifer has the best glutes ever.

The Run or Dye 5K was so much fun. I think it was a great first race since it is very low key. They don't even time the race so people just use their smart phone apps. I ran with two of my co-workers and it was all of our first race and we felt so accomplished. I finished in 31.12 which is a pretty good pace and faster than I normally run. The best time I had at home was between over 32 minutes and over 33 minutes. I kept saying to myself that the experience will probably be like the Cathe Road trip and I will do better than I thought. Well, that is exactly what happened....I truly had no idea the finish line was around the corner as I approached it. The race was over before I knew it. I could not hear the time on my app for some reason but I could hear my pace and it was always a little over 10 minutes so I knew that I was doing great. I didn't realize that I had been running for 30 minutes.. It was a great feeling. I hope to continue to run 2 days a week. Meanwhile it felt absolutely great to return to my Cathe workout this morning. Finally broke in Party Rockin and did workout 2. It was so much fun. I had to rewind it a couple of times but nothing to complex that I couldn't catch up after a 2nd try. Well---maybe those box steps....or whatever you call it in the 5th combo.

Gotta run. I promise to start back posting regularly. I do miss hearing what's going on with everyone.

Last edited:
Today's workout was High Reps. I have not done strength training in about 3 to 4 weeks so it felt really good to pump the biceps this morning. I had the hardest time picking out a workout since I haven't done one in so long so I decided to go with a total body workout.

DS15 last football game of the season is tonight and it is against their biggest rivalry. We are 9-0 and DS is hoping to end the season on a great note. He has played well this season improving along the way. He has made a few interceptions, score a touch down off of one interception and forced fumbles when sacking the quarterback, made some awesome blocks for a team member to score. I am so proud of him. He needed to work on his open field tackling and he improved a bit along the season. He kept his grades up during this time so I am happy about that. He has a 3.375 GPA this quarter and I don't think that's too bad while playing football. He doesn't get home until 6:30 Monday - Wednesday and nearly 9:30 on game nights on Thursdays which is tough because he still has homework. By the time he takes a shower, eats dinner....nights are long. I was hoping he was going to have 3.5 but he didn't pull it off but with all the honors classes he takes, I know this is not too shabby. DS11 is in middle school so he has worked really hard this quarter also. He so desperately wanted an A in math and got it. He got a B in language arts and the A's in all the rest of his classes giving him a 3.75 GPA for his first quarter in middle school. I think today's kids have to work so hard in school. I am sure we did too, but sometimes it seems like they have so much work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.