Push It

Hello!! Quick recap since my last check-in consists of XT upper body workouts, MMA: Fusion, and All Out HiiT. I was supposed to do one more lower last week, but my legs just weren't up to it plus TTOM so I took an extra rest day.

Today was Turbo Barre(lower body express premix + abs). The 90 XTrain rotation has me doing Cardio Leg Blast, but I just wasn't in the mood to jump around so I did TB as the 1st of my 2 leg workouts this week. Honestly, I felt most of it in my back and support leg during the workout. Now hours later, I'm feeling a nice burn in my booty :eek: The ab work from TB was killer :mad: I had been noticing that core work was getting easier, but this one was still quite a challenge. Suppose that's what I need :confused: I'm deciding what I want my fitness goals to be and a stronger core is certainly going to make the list.

Tasha
Do you feel like your endurance is fading with Nia's program? My endurance fades so quickly, I'm not sure I would want to do any less than 2 cardio's a week. What does Nia say about endurance? Also, does her program help strengthen all those smaller stabilizing muscles? I find I'm weak in those and really need to strengthen them to get a better heavy lift.

Jennifer
I think I may swap all out with HiiT 30/30 this week. Pretty sure I'm not ready for HiiT 40/20!! Thanks for the reminder on that workout.

Nancy
Glad you are getting back in the swing of things!! I'll be doing FlexTrain in my next 4 week rotation and I can't wait. I've only done it once or twice and it was so great!!

Gotta run...I need to preview my BS CBS workout. Haven't done it in a while and I'm totally looking forward to it!!!

Hi everyone!

My w/o yesterday was EPIC :eek:

1) 6x4R deadlifts @ 115lbs!!!! I have not weighed myself in a long time, but this could be my own BODYWEIGHT! On a grand scale, I lifted a total of 2,760lbs :eek: (that's 115lbs x 4R x 6sets). I can't fully describe this feeling, but it was completely and utterly amazing. Not sure if next week I will increase the weight or stay around 110-115lbs.

2) 6x4R chin-ups superset w/
6x4R overhead barbell press @ 47lbs

3) 3x20R barbell hip thrusts @ 65lbs

Toni

I'm not really training for endurance so it probably has decreased for sure. My cardio capacity remains the same because I walk upwards of 5 miles/day and I still do 1 cardio session/week. Also, training w/heavy compound movements, I find that my HR is constantly elevated, so I'm still getting a cardio w/o. Nia says absolutely nothing about endurance...at least I don't think she does :confused:. The most endurance-type training she has in her program comes from KB swings and high rep squats/deadlifts. I'm also not sure about the smaller, stabilizing muscles. I DO know that all the exercises I'm performing has allowed me to get stronger. Compound exercises FTW!
Also, have you ever considered adding front squats for a stronger core? IMO, that is the best overall compound movement that will work your core like nothing else. Bottom line: you absolutely CANNOT do front squats without a strong, embraced core or else the bar will slip right off! Elliott recommends them over back squats too. Here is a really good vid if you are interested: The Magical Front Squat - YouTube (it's on 1min, but it pretty much sums up this incredible movement).

Jennifer
You've been doing such a great job getting back into your w/o's. I love how you did not rush the process and took it slow -- def a very wise move. Is your back feeling better?
I love training for strength, that's for sure! I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting there! Thank you so much for the kind word and support -- I really appreciate it :).

Nancy
YAY for DOMS :eek:.

Bye bye for now ladies!

Last edited:
Today

I did Pyramid from the HIIT tape,and it was not that bad. I did the standing portiion of Lower body blast, which was about 50 minutes.

Good morning!
My morning started at 3. Don't know what's up with that but I took full advantage of being up so early by having a nice, long workout session especially after having a rest day yesterday. I definitely see a trip to Starbucks at least once today:D I just do the regular dark roast, not the fancy drinks... except for the occasional Misto which is half steamed milk and half coffee.

My workout this morning started with glute activation drills (leg lifts, clams, and hip extensions);
then it was on to glutes -- elevated back lunges, single leg dead lifts, single leg back extensions, and hip thrusts. Still going light on weights and my rep counts are low but that's okay. For now;)
After that I did the Step portion of Intensity, 3 sets up bench presses, 3 sets of inverted rows;
finally I moved on to Total Body Stretching Ball#1 followed by additional stretching using a strap and the foam roller. I think that was my longest workout ever!
We're meeting my dad for dinner tonight (Ruby Tuesday - yum) and he'll come over to see Kitty. Then he is going back to MT to get the rest of his things and make the final trip back to MO. I don't understand why he decided NOT to hire a mover - driving back/forth several times especially during this weather doesn't even make sense but, for whatever reason, it is what he decided to do and he must have his reasons. If he doesn't run into any bad weather he might be back in time for Thanksgiving. I'm not sure if Craig is going to see his mom/brother this Thanksgiving or not. His brother is still battling cancer so I think Craig will want to take every opportunity he can to visit him and his mom. I don't usually go because of the dogs, and this year as I mentioned my dad might be here for Thanksgiving.

Tash,
Your workouts have been so amazing! I'm glad you're documenting your strength gains! You're a perfect testimonal for Nia's program:cool: Is Mark interested in giving her program a shot, or does he just like to go to the gym and pump iron like there's no tomorrow?

My back is doing SO much better (thanks for asking) but there is still an issue:( I still notice (especially when shaving my legs) that bending to the right side is awkward -- and my balance is still WAY off which I notice during stretching, lunges, and squats -- and even during Spinning. I feel my scapular/neck region being affected/effected by this (I get so confused on those two words:rolleyes:). However, being able to get back into a light routine has helped me mentally and has kept me mobile and loosened up:)

I'm going back to the chiropractor Thursday; I'm obviously still out of alignment. Also, I have an appointment with a Physical Therapist this Saturday. It'll be interesting to hear what she has to say. I already wear a lift in one of my shoes so I don't know what else I can do.

Toni,
Very nice job listening to your body and still continuing to work the rotation:)

Flex Train is so fun, I love that it can be made harder or easier - but then, most all of Cathe's workouts are flexible like that. Even when I did Afterburn last week I made it easier on myself and changed it up a little. Actually, when I'm back to 100% I won't have to make it easier but I can still change some of the exercises so I'm not doing the same ones repeatedly. I prefer to take my squats deeper and slower - they work so much better for me and since I have to work harder it doesn't take away any of the cardio benefits.

Nancy,
I hope you're DOMS is easing up and you're enjoying your workouts.

Stacie, Heartymax, and Caitlin,
I hope all is well.

Have an awesome day!

Thank you.

My back always hurts, as the doctor who did my implants made me much too big. I am only 5'1" and about 110. I admit that I forget about my back when I work out.

Today I did MMA Fusion with two pound weighted gloves and the upper body portion of High Reps. I hope your back continues to feel better.

First off: WAY TO GO NATASHA!!!!! I can imagine how triumphant you feel :eek:!!!! You OWN it, girl!!!

I started the week off with Bret's SC BB Week 4 workout A and added some push-backs between the sets of dead-lifts. I used moderate weights and it felt pretty good. Tonight is X10 Low Impact and some "beach muscle" work ;)!
Yesterday I had a feeling of a "sandy" or "gritty" throat and a very minor dry little cough. Nothing that made me really take any serious notice. But this morning I woke up to hardly any voice at all, and what voice I have is husky and raspy (and not sexy like Jessica Rabbit, more like Bea Arthur from "Maude" :p). I've been drinking lots of tea and sucking Burt's Bees throat lozenges all day. It's weird! I feel kind of tired too. I guess I was ripe for the plucking with how run down I had become with the lack of sleep and poor diet these past 2 weeks. DANG :(! So as long as this "thing" stays above my chest I'll continue to work out. My rule is once it goes below the neck, I rest!

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Sorry, but I'm going to cut this post short today....:rolleyes:

Hello!! Yesterday was XT BS CBS. Today was HiiT 30/30. I survived both :D I need to buy a 25# dumbbell for the 1 arm rows. I was able to use 20# for my chest press, but needed to go down to 17# for the flys. I'd like to get back to a 20# fly. We shall see.

HiiT 30/30 was actually not that bad!! I did not do the air jacks(hate em) and I could only do 15 seconds of those awful tuck jumps. Other than that, I did everything with no rest :D

Tasha
Thanks for all the details on Nia's program. I looked at some examples of the front squat. I'm not sure my UB is strong enough to hold the bar like that...plus I have wrist issues. But I saw a vid by Elliot that used these wrist strap thingys that would solve my wrist problem. I may have to try it with very light weight and see how it feels. Certainly will not be doing 75# like you :eek::eek::eek: So proud of you!!

Nancy
I hope you fight off whatever sickness is trying to get you!! Yesterday I woke up with some type of eye infection or something. Luckily my yearly eye exam was yesterday also, so I got an RX for some antibiotics.

Catlin
I'll be doing MMA Fusion on Thursday :)

Jennifer
That was some workout!!!! You always put together some interesting combination.

Toni---I am sure you have heard me say many times that I go light on flys because it hurts my shoulder---could be my form, but I try to keep my weight around 15 to 17 1/2. Sounds like 25s will be on your Christmas list. My weights go up to 30s after my first round of STS, but I don't use the 30s often.

Jennifer---Glad your back is slowly getting better. I understand what you mean about your dad not hiring a mover. It definitely would have made things easier though. Sometimes we have to keep our mouths closed because as our parents age, we may not understand the decisions that they make.

Tasha---you are the strength training GURU for sure.

Nancy--I have heard some else mention below the neck rule. I try to remember that also.

CD--Pyramid is TOUGH!! WTG!!

I rarely get on the desktop computer these days and I really prefer to post on the forum from my desktop instead of the smartphone. I like to use the keyboard for all the long typing as well as go back and read as I type:D. Sorry you ladies haven't heard from me much lately. I did get in a few workouts last week too. Yesterday and today was 40 minutes on the elliptical. I need to find my remote to my DVD player so I can do my Cathe strength training tomorrow. I didn't have time to look this morning so I jumped back on the elliptical.

DS15 is taking driver education after school for the next two week. He can get his permit in January and start driving lessons with his dad. The Maryland law says permit at 15 and 9 months so we are doing the book work class before then so all he will have to do is pass the test and get his permit to start his lessons. Hopefully he will pass the test:eek: when the time comes. The next two weeks because the class is from 5:30 to 9:00 since they don't have class on Thanksgiving and they have to add some time to each night to make up for it.

My brother is coming over for Thanksgiving and my husband's nephew and his friend will be over too. My cousin who joined the Air Force after high school this summer is stationed a few hours away and we plan to go pick her up so she can be with family during the holidays. It will be her very first time visiting with us so I look forward to it. Maybe she and I will catch a movie since DH really don't care to go often.

WAH!!!!!!!:(
I"VE BEEN REALLY REALLY SICK!:(:(:(:(
I worked out on Wednesday (did Strong Curves BB week 4 workout "B") and had to miss last night's cardio.
This cold bug has gone into my face and it's really sapping my energy...
the thought of cardio gives me much trepidation!
Tonight I'm supposed to do workout "C". I hope I can :confused:!
I feel AWFUL!
poor me

UGH I lost a post this morning :mad:

My w/o yesterday was:

1) 8x4R squats @ 90 & 95lbs. I tried 95lbs for the 3rd set and did very well. By the 4th set, 4th rep, I almost hit failure, so I dropped the weight back down. Perhaps I did not allow that much time for recovery or I'm just not ready for that weight. Gotta leave my ego at the door sometimes :eek:. I guess I got too excited because I'm this.close to reaching the BIG 1-0-0. Baby steps :)

2) 6x4R parallel bar dips superset w/
6x4R barbell rows @ 75lbs.

3) 3x15R hips thrusts @ 75lbs

I will BB today to write the personals!!!

So far today

I did HIIT 40/20, and I admit that I used an 8 inch step when Cathe was doing it on a much higher step. My heart rate went through the roof anyway. I will probably do an upper body workout. I hope everyone is doing well.

Hi wonder-womens,
It's been 4 days since my last post - sounds like a confession, doesn't it?! Since Tuesday I've done more glutes and Slide and Glide twice (cardio portion).

I'm still not doing much upper body. Today I went to a Physical Therapist who is also a Massage Therapist and a Personal Trainer. She agrees with me that over-head motion is causing more inflammation and she thinks it's my C2 vertebrae. I'll be better soon as long as I still get massages, do stretching but not yoga, going to the chiro, and foam rolling. I have made peace with my lack of BurnSets and heavy UB weights. I can still do some general, light upper body work (other than over-head presses) then I'll just have to roll with that. I will probably do Trisets or High Reps next week; maybe even Muscle Max. SO glad I can still do cardio and glutes:D

This morning I did Step Works (VHS!) and this afternoon I did Power Max (VHS!). The reason I'm practicing is because I'm subbing a step class Tuesday morning (combined with strength) so I wanted to brush up on the familiar step moves that I used to know so well and that are fun; it'll be fun teaching step again. I took the morning off my regular job to do it; the extra money will be helpful, plus it helps the Group Ex manager so everybody's happy.

Tomorrow I'll do Cardio Fusion and also Flex Train but I will space out the workouts like I did today. The great thing about doing 2 good cardio workouts a day is that I get to totally endulge - I enjoyed a large apple with about a 3/4-cup of peanut butter; it was heaven :)

Tash,
I don't know why I am so surprised, really, but OMGosh - 95lb front squats! I vote for a big 'ol some sort of celebration for you when you do hit the 100#! That is incredible! I should say YOU are incredible:cool:

Toni,
Congratulations on making it through 30/30! I don't like air jacks but I manage them pretty well, but the tuck jumps - I am with you all the way - I hate them. They are just so hard and windy!

Have you tried the goblet squats? They are great for the entire body!

Caitlin,
Very impressive that you did MMA Fusion with 2# wrist weights and then did High Reps! Nice job on that! And 40/20 as well - none of those HiiTs are easy, that's for sure! It probably was better for your back to cut down on the risers anyway since the impact is reduced.

Heartymax,
I haven't been on much, either. Glad all is going well with you. Thanksgiving sounds like it will be great!

Pretty soon DS will be wanting to borrow the car:eek: For a date:eek::eek:

Nancy,
So sorry to hear you've caught the bug. Cardio helps but not when you have no energy to do it:( I hope you feel better soon.

Stacie,
How are you and your workouts going? Have you tried one muscle group a day or played around with a new schedule?

Have a great Saturday night - I will check back in tomorrow to see how everyone's doing and who is lifting couches and what not:D.

I was going to do pyramid

after doing 40/20, but then I thought I would be crazy to do it. I did the upper body portion of Muscle Max, and think I might tackle Party Rockin 2 tomorrow. The first time I viewed it I thought it was worse than Imax 3, but now I think it is doable. I am very short, only 5'1" but I do most of my step on an 8 inch height. I think all the years of running (I even ran the NYC marathon) did something to my metabolism.
Thank you all for reading.

Hi ladies!

Sorry I did not come back from personals -- I have been super busy these past few days! And plus every time I went to write the personals, I would hit a key on my stupid laptop and lose the whole damn thing :mad:.

My w/o yesterday was:

1) 6x4R DL's @ 110lbs (I had a bad sleep the night before and didn't feel comfortable pushing above 115lbs)

2) 6x4R chin-ups superset w/
6x4R barbell overhead press @ 48lbs

*beach work*
1) 3x10R EZ bar curl
2) 3x10R lying tricep extensions
3) 3x10R DB lateral raises

Jennifer
It was back squats that I hit 95lbs -- front squats I'm a little weaker @ 80lbs, but I'm getting there :eek:.
I'm so sorry to hear about your back and all the medical issues doing on with your vertebrae and inflammation :(. Are you able to do strictly body weight stuff, or is that still too much for you? I remember reading a post by Nia that said when she hurt her back a few years ago, she solely did body weight stuff until her recovery.
I hear ya on the indulging thing :p. Your apple sounded to die for! When I strength train AND walk, I'm super hungry and I EAT LIKE A BOSS :eek:. I just love food so much :).
Good luck on the step class! How awesome! I'm sure you are gonna kill it -- in a good way of course ;).

Toni
I have not done a chest fly in sooo long! I rarely do isolation stuff like that anymore (chest press and push-ups are compound movements) and I gotta say my muscles have responded very well and my shoulder feels fantastic. IMO, you don't really need to do flys, as you could get nice pecs and chest just by the compound movements, but of course if you wanted to that's a different story.

Nancy
How are you feeling? I wish you a speedy recovery!

Hearty
Driving classes for your DS is a great idea. What an exciting time for the both of you :eek:.

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning! I'm enjoying a little vacation from work and I'l trying to use the time to clean my apartment and to get my workouts back on track. Yesterday I tried out Rockout Knockout for the first time. It was good -- I like the music in Hard Strikes better but it wasn't bad at all. I need to fill out up my bag some more (I finally bought a funnel so I can get the water in it) so I can try out the heavy bag bonus. In a bit I will tackle TBT -- I'm putting STS off until the first week in January so I can build up some more endurance.

Natasha
COngrats on killing it with the weights. Did little Bella's cough finally go away?

Nancy
Sorry to hear you are sick! I still swear by peppermint tea and hot lemonade made with honey for colds. I hope you feel better soon.

Toni
Great job on the cardio workouts. My HiiT DVD collects dust! How have your knees been? Do you still wear the brace?

Jennifer
I'm so sorry about your shoulder :(. I really hope that someone will be able to help you figure out how to make it feel better. I'm glad the second job is going well for you! I bet your step class will be just as fun as the other class.

HI! Wow, can't believe it's already Wednesday. It's practically dead around the office. I have to be here so I am, but I don't have a lot of work on my plate right now so it is nice to have this time to catch up.

All I've been doing for days is step, some glute work, and very little upper body work (weights and bodyweight).

Funny story - I practiced REALLY hard for DAYS and DAYS on my step routine for the class I subbed yesterday. An hour before class I find out that the class description (according to the website) was a bit misleading. The Step that they listed as being used was not for step aerobics; apparently they haven't updated the website because everyone was surprised that I had a step in front of me.

Some of them literally started panicking! I had already thought about the fact that type of women who take an 8:30am gym class during a week day are moms, retired, or students on break (but they'd probably still be sleeping), and after finding out that Step aerobics is actually not part of the class I brought the discs as backup and it was SUCH a good thing I did.

After the VERY basic and easy step warmup it was obvious that Step aerobics was not an option so I scratched the entire step workout and we moved on to the gliding discs, bands, and light weights. I had to do the entire workout on the fly. I was able to keep them busy, breathing and moving, as intense or as modified as they needed it, and overall I think everyone got a decent workout; several women told me they enjoyed doing something different and that they enjoyed the class.

At least now I am refreshed on Step in case I ever do need to sub the class that actually does do step aerobics.

As for my upper body issue, I'm beginning to be convinced that it really is my fascia which apparently is in worse shape that I ever realized. I've been losing circulation in my right arm. Last night I had a massage and she finally loosened up my neck; my c2 seemed to get into a better position than where it was... previously everytime the chiro popped it back it the soft tissue would pull it out after a day or two.

There is not a lot out there about fascia health but I've added wheat germ and knox geletin (for the collagen of fascia) to my smoothies instead of Flax. Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil is good as well so I do see it in my immediate future. Vitamin World here I come - or maybe even Amazon. I'll have to check; it has to be good quality. In fact, I should probably check out Nia's recommended supplements - she lists a link in her Beautiful Badass program.

Stacie,
So glad you're able to enjoy some vacation time for YOU. Even if it is cleaning and organizing it's so nice to have personal time to get those things done.

Tash,
I SO hear you - sometimes laptops are a huge hassle for that very reason!

80# on a front squat - WOW! 95# on a back squat is still amazing:eek: Your workouts are looking good; sounds like you feel good, too:D

Light weights and some body weight seems to be okay but a couple days later I feel pain again - so whatever is going on finally had a breaking point and I'm going to have to be patient and rest. There's a 20-degree difference in range of motion between one side of my body and the other. The worst thing for me to do would be to stay off UB completely so I know I need to keep trying once a week.

The good news is that since I've been doing more cardio than I have done in quite a while I have had more energy :cool:

By the way, do you take Fish oil?

Nancy,
I hope you're feeling better.

Heartymax, Toni, and Caitlin,
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Everyone - have a wonderful day!

Happy T-Day Eve :p!
Yesterday I put on my big girl workout clothes and started the 2nd phase of Bret's Strong Curves Bootyful Beginner's Rotation with Week 5 workout "A". I loved it! I came home from work early today and did Week 5 workout "B". Again, loved it! I've been doing some upper body work between sets of the hip hinge exercises (he supersets the first 2 groups of 2 exercises, and the hip hinge exercise is solo...so I superset it "beach work"). Yesterday I did push-backs and today was simultaneous bicep curls.

Tomorrow we're going hiking! It's going to be a chilly 24 degrees when we get started, so I'll be bundled up for sure ;)! I love getting that appetite revved up for dinner! Right now I'm making my Double Layer Cream Cheese/Pumpkin Pie (I have no shame!:rolleyes:) and my Cranberry/Fig relish. I got my turkey breast cooked at our local store (they do a FANTASTIC job) so no slaving over the bird! I'll be making green bean casserole and a "root mash" (russet and sweet potato, turnip, parsnip, and carrots) to round things out. Got a nice bottle of pinot grigio, too :eek:!!!!

As you can tell, I'm feeling much better than I did last post. Hope everyone gets a good workout in today and has an awesome Thanksgiving Day tomorrow! We have so much to be thankful for ladies...cherish the time you have with the ones you love, and embrace all that you have accomplished this year!:D

I here-by declare today "Stay In Your Jammies Day"!!!! :eek::p
(except for your workout, of course!)

Yesterday was a wonderful T-day for my DH & I! We scaled the hike back to 3 hours (since I'm still in "cold recovery" mode). It was VERY cold!!!! We were decked out in our thermals and winter parkas and felt pretty good, though! It was a bright sunny day, and with the leaves off the trees we weren't in the shadows that much! The first incline is the hardest and it was a bit tough yesterday. I had to slow my pace down from my normal cadence...haven't done serious cardio very much this month :(. When we got back home I took a good Epsom bath soak and then it was TURKEY TIME!!! Dinner was so tasty!
Today I plan on honoring the aforementioned "Jammie Day" while I put up my kitty's Holiday Tree and just relax. Later I'll be doing Bret's SC BB Week 5 workout "C". This second phase has stepped things up a bit and I'm really enjoying it so far! I still feel the need to do those isolation beach moves for my arms and calves...some old habits die hard ;):p!

It's been so much fun reading about everyone's progress; I hope that you are all doing well and have a great start to the weekend!

Today we walked the dogs and did some yardwork - and now I'm back in my Jammies :) I thought I'd do some cardio or something today but I decided to make it a rest day.

Yesterday I did Burnsets but took it easy. Good thing I did because I'm feeling it today. After Burnsets I did a few sets of hip thrusts and cable abductions.

Nancy,
Glad to hear you are enjoying Bret's program and had such a nice hike and T-day.

Have a super happy Black Friday!

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving :).

I have not been sleeping very well this week so my strength has been down :(. I was not able to increase at all :mad:. At first I was upset about this, but I've made peace now :).

Great news: I AM GETTING A SQUAT RACK FOR XMAS :eek:.

My w/o yesterday was hiit Pyramid.

BBL for personals!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.