Not judging, just curious

Julie, looks like you and I have something in common. :)

My parents are from the WWII generation. "Gay" was not something that was discussed. Ever.

When my brother came out, it was a bit of a shock. However, when his long time partner was diagnosed with full blown AIDS (and this was back in the 80s, when people where convinced it could be transmitted via kissing or sharing a glass), they dropped everything and ran to help, moving in with the two guys in order to support their son and help care for his sick partner.

I was only a kid back then...15 or so...but I'm still so proud of them for ignoring all the fear and the hate, and instead doing the right thing.

Julie, looks like you and I have something in common. :)

My parents are from the WWII generation. "Gay" was not something that was discussed. Ever.

When my brother came out, it was a bit of a shock. However, when his long time partner was diagnosed with full blown AIDS (and this was back in the 80s, when people where convinced it could be transmitted via kissing or sharing a glass), they dropped everything and ran to help, moving in with the two guys in order to support their son and help care for his sick partner.

I was only a kid back then...15 or so...but I'm still so proud of them for ignoring all the fear and the hate, and instead doing the right thing.

I am proud of them, too.

My Ex husband is a gay. He told me when we were in college. Believe me, he wanted so much to change to straight. I wanted so much to help him. We event got married and have a child. At the end of day, we both realized that he is who he is. Nobody can change. It is not he chose to be gay. He told me if he had the choice, he would choose to be straight.

He is a very good, honest and decent man. He works hard, even harder than regular people. We have a scar in our life. But being used to live with a gay man, I know he is a person I can always trust. I will never use any harsh words to judge him because he is gay. I just wish there is more love in this world. Why don't we just spread our love, like any of religion said. But not judge someone just based on someone's opinion or some books that was written thousands of years ago...

Peace, love

WantFit, your attitude toward your ex-husband is wonderful. Good for you.

When I was a bit older, my brother revealed that he had seriously considered suicide. He felt God hated him, and the rest of the world condemned him.

This is why whenever I hear someone refer to being gay as a "choice" or a "lifestyle," I can't help but think, "Wow, you're clueless." Being gay isn't a lifestyle choice any more than being straight is. With all the hate, anger, fear, and discrimination directed at the gay community, who would choose that?!

This is why whenever I hear someone refer to being gay as a "choice" or a "lifestyle," I can't help but think, "Wow, you're clueless." Being gay isn't a lifestyle choice any more than being straight is.

ITA

I guess saying that being gay (or straight) is a 'lifestyle choice" does comfort those who see it as a 'sin,' because if people are born gay/straight, then it brings up the question of "WHO made them that way," and those people don't want to go there.

(Kinsey, the sex researcher, found that humans run the gamut of sexual behavoir: from those who are 100% hetrosexual, to those that are 100% homosexual, with most people falling somewhere in between.)

How is it that one group of people can feel comfortable stripping another group of people of their basic human rights?

The love between two people of the same sex should be treated no less than the love between a heterosexual couple. Who is to say that a marriage has to between a man and a woman? The religious right? It must be your God because my God certainly doesn't believe that.

Our country in many ways treats the love between same sex couples as second class citizens. Now, that should be considered morally wrong and anger anyone who believes in justice and equality. It should never be allowed in a society that is supposed to believe in the separation of church and state, anyway.

Those of you against gay marriage, I only pray none of your children are born gay.. only because they aren't afforded equal rights under our archaic laws. Sure, they are asked to pay taxes like everyone else, but they certainly don't have the right to "marry" the one they love like you and me.

I pray I actually live to see the day when everyone really has equal rights (marriage included). Now that would be really fair and just.

Wow, What a Thread

Mostly a lurker here but really want to comment. I have a deep belief in Jesus Christ, personal relationship - whatever you will call it and an active prayer life. My spiritual gifts are encouragement and mercy. I no longer attend organized religious services because I realized how hateful I had become to non-believers - not intentionally - but I sure wasn't a billboard that said "Everyone Welcome" I take to heart both the Old and New Testament scriptures:

First said in the OT:Leviticus 19:18
'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

Then the NT: Matthew 22:34 - 40 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law? Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Yes, I am one of those bleeding hearts that takes this to heart. I mean if my Lord says something about something that is the "Greatest" then shouldn't I try my best to do it?

To the other - I really believe what - (I believe what Katherine said - sorry if misspelled) about difference in "civil" marriage and defined "religious" marriage.

My brother was a homosexual - he died of aids before his 35th birthday - he was a wonderful giving person and had a long term relationship with another human - be it right or wrong - there is just something about love that you can't put in a box.

Sorry that this does not have much to do with the original post

Last edited:
Annabelle, what a great post. Thank you for your perspective.

I'm thinking of getting a bumper sticker that says "Whose marriages would Jesus invalidate?"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.