News Flash

Wishing you the best of luck. I too had a tear in my left shoulder rotator cuff and it was horrible. The surgery was fine, it was the 2 months of being in an immobilizing sling and also the fact that I am left handed that made things worse. Just take your time and we will all be here for you and with you.
Thank you so much for your well wishes

And speaking of stubborn jar lids, I have a little trick for that! My favorite salsa comes in a very hard to open jar, so I take my green medium tension resistance band, open it up, wrap one end around the jar so I have a good grip on it and put the other end on top of the lid and usually it opens much easier! Medium tension resistance bands...not just for working out!
That’s brilliant
I’m so glad your surgery went well, Cathe! Please take care of yourself
and wish you a speedy recovery. So sweet of you to have some Lives lined
up in the meantime! Sending hugs and well wishes!!
thank you so much for your well wishes

Awww...you are so sweet to pre-film for us!!!! What dedication!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for that. I'm sorry you're having to deal with injury and tough recovery. I am glad your repair surgery went well. Thanks for sharing with us. I'll be praying for a full and speedy recovery. I'm sure you'll be amazing your doctors. You are a machine! Can't wait to see LIVE you - even if it is to coach us though some torture you've cooked up. ;):oops:

Awww...you are so sweet to pre-film for us!!!! What dedication!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for that. I'm sorry you're having to deal with injury and tough recovery. I am glad your repair surgery went well. Thanks for sharing with us. I'll be praying for a full and speedy recovery. I'm sure you'll be amazing your doctors. You are a machine! Can't wait to see LIVE you - even if it is to coach us though some torture you've cooked up. ;):oops:
Thank you for your well wishes

Wow. So sorry, Cathe. I completely understand.
this year has been a nice challenge for me as well, having to take off 4-5 months due to Uterine cancer and related surgery. I know it’s a bummer and I am slowly working my way back. I am thankful for you that this is not life-threatening, though it is an inconvenience. We know you’ll get back asap and until then it will be fun to watch you torture us with your cuing (hahah). But seriously, you’re pro enough to know just how far to push.

Cathe, I am so sorry that you are going through this and amazed how you managed to arrange everything. I had a full tear supraspinatus surgery last December and they reattached the biceps tendon. I know you and your determination, and you will do well with recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hi Cathletes! I just wanted to take a few minutes to update everyone on a little setback that I’ve had.
I’ve been dealing with some on and off shoulder/bicep pain for some time due to an old injury. I’ve been able to strategically work around it and rest it as much as possible in an attempt to get it to heal up on its own, but a recent struggle with a stubborn jar lid was the final straw and led to a pop, a burn and a trip to the surgeon. MRI showed a full tear of my left rotator cuff tendon as well as a partial tear at the top of my bicep tendon. A few days ago I went in for an arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. Rotator cuff repair surgery has a very long and slow recovery, but there was no choice at this point but to go ahead and get it fixed. All this being said, surgery went very well and I am home, healing and taking the time I need to recover. Knowing that I was going in for the repair and would then be out of commission for awhile, I pre-recorded 7 Express Cathe LIVE episodes (with modifications for my shoulder) so that we could continue to provide you with classes while I am recovering. These will be released each Thursday in our regularly scheduled time slot. After a rotator cuff repair it takes several months before the shoulder can really be used for much, so when I return to CatheLIVE after our pre-recorded episodes run out, I will be “coaching” our typical LIVE class as I continue to heal. So what does this mean moving forward? Simply continue to sign in and enjoy our regularly scheduled (currently pre-recorded) 9:30 AM EST Express CatheLIVE productions every Thursday morning for the next several weeks. After that we will transition back to our CatheLIVE classes as you know them with me coaching you every step of the way! But look out (wink), I’ve been told that when I coach my classes, I’m a wee bit harder than when I participate in them (he he he he heeeee!) I’ll be back my pretties! If you have any questions, please post them right here. And I’ll answer them as soon as I can.View attachment 8438
Cathe, I wish you a full and quick recovery. I have very small hands, carpal tunnel, and a bad shoulder. Plus, I'm getting older (although I'm in denial about that:). Anyways, I found a product that helps me open jars quite easily. It simply breaks the vacuum - making the jar very easy to open. It's the

1 Pc Jar Pop Jar Opener Jarpop Jarkey Vacuum Breaker Key Rim Lid Lifter Top New

They are around 7-8 bucks. It even has a hole in it for hanging it. I hide mine in a drawer, though, because it hurts my husband's feelings that I found a way to open jars without having him do it. lol I don't know why he can't understand that I need to be able to feed everybody, even when he's not home. Silly man.

Get better soon!

I'm having minor rotator cuff issues and carpal tunnel. a good warning not to struggle with jar lids! What works for me....
invert jar and tap the flat surface of the lid down sharply 3 times, upside down, on a hard surface, table or countertop. turn upright. then turn over and do it again. unscrew lid! almost always works. dont break the glass jar. this breaks the vacuum seal. sounds too simple to be true but works most of the time.

best of luck to you and follow your PT's recommendations.

Cathe, hoping you heal quickly. Thanks for the great workouts through the years. You started me on my fitness journey and I haven't stopped. I believe we are the same age. I had a fusion in my cervical spine almost 2 years ago and never thought I would get back to my fitness level but I did and even made strength gains. You will be back in full force. As Katie said, "you got this". Take care of yourself and have a Happy New Year!

Those of us who are athletes (or should I say Cathletes) know that life happens and sometimes that includes injuries. But I like to say we are better equipped to handle it even if we'd rather not. Over the years I've had people admonish me for my activities: "it's dangerous" "you could get hurt" "you still can get an injury." Yes, but commuting to work is risky too. Life is risky. If an injury or illness comes along, those of us who keep in shape the best we can are more likely to recover and heal faster and better because our bodies know how to handle it. I've been victim to an ignorant driver who cut me off while I was bicycling. Had I not been an athlete, I may not be where I am today.
So that being said, I wish you a speedy, successful recovery, Cathe. It will be interesting if people find you tougher as just a coach rather than a participant as well. Regardless, we know you are awesome either way!

Cathe, hoping you heal quickly. Thanks for the great workouts through the years. You started me on my fitness journey and I haven't stopped. I believe we are the same age. I had a fusion in my cervical spine almost 2 years ago and never thought I would get back to my fitness level but I did and even made strength gains. You will be back in full force. As Katie said, "you got this". Take care of yourself and have a Happy New Year!
Thank you so much for your well wishes and for sharing that story with me. I’m so happy to hear that you’re all healed up and even gained strength

Those of us who are athletes (or should I say Cathletes) know that life happens and sometimes that includes injuries. But I like to say we are better equipped to handle it even if we'd rather not. Over the years I've had people admonish me for my activities: "it's dangerous" "you could get hurt" "you still can get an injury." Yes, but commuting to work is risky too. Life is risky. If an injury or illness comes along, those of us who keep in shape the best we can are more likely to recover and heal faster and better because our bodies know how to handle it. I've been victim to an ignorant driver who cut me off while I was bicycling. Had I not been an athlete, I may not be where I am today.
So that being said, I wish you a speedy, successful recovery, Cathe. It will be interesting if people find you tougher as just a coach rather than a participant as well. Regardless, we know you are awesome either way!
Thank you for your supportive and encouraging words. I agree with everything you wrote. And I’m so grateful to hear that you fully recovered from that ultra serious bike hit!

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery. If it's any consolation, I'm really enjoying the pre-recorded LIVE classes with the heavier weights. It's a wonderful complement to the existing body of work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.