Lurker Invitations Feb. Check-In

Great Workout Premix

Workout today turned out to be so much fun! I did the Low Intensity Circuit Premix on 4DS. I finally completely got into the flow of the step & it was so much fun. I went even heavier on the weights which made the weight work feel much better.

The workout was kinda choppy with very intensive set up & break down of equipment, which broke up the flow and made the work out much longer than 69 minutes.

Maybe I will do a circuit week all week next week and see how it goes. Skiing tomorrow with the fam.

STS is terrific!

Hi all,

I've been going through the posts - and I'm sure I'm missing a ton of interesting updates.

Laura, Michelle: Flowers? Sigh ... We're still in winter, with snow everywhere, so no crocuses here. I am a rabid gardener, though a bit eclectic in what I plant, and bulbs are high on the list. It will be at least two before the earliest ones show. The relatively warmer days (above freezing) mean that a very few places have bare patches! That makes it much easier to deal with outside chores.

Janie: I saw your other post - you just did disc 3 legs and then step-cardio today? Wow! How did that feel?

Elle: I'm also not one to preview the dvds. It comes down to time. I can either work out, or I can watch the workout. So - I fumble my way through, and use extensive rewinding, and that's okay. No one is watching me except sometimes the cat :) BTW, on eating - I found that tiny little changes made a huge difference. I need to eat 400 calories or slightly more in the morning, usually oatmeal, fruit, and low fat yogurt. If I don't get enough protein in that meal - even by as little as three or four grams - I am ravenous. Enough protein and fiber, and I'm fine. And, I've stuck with the habit of having many small snacks through the day. That plus the exercise has helped me keep those nasty 52 pounds I lost from creeping back on, for two years now :)

For workouts last week, I chose to lighten things up. I had meetings scheduled roughly every half hour, people writing to me interactively at 2pm about some joint projects (they are in Europe), and I don't think any day was less than 14 hours of work. I don't mind long days, but I *do* like to be able to focus, and it simply wasn't possible. With the flu going around the office, little sleep, and the constant mental jumping jacks going on, it didn't seem like a good idea to overstress my body with intense training. Instead, I went for fun! I did my morning hike on Monday before leaving, tried my new BodyStrikes with Ilaria one day, did 4DS kickbox/no weights two times, and another day I threw in some unusual variations of pushups and my favorite kettlebell swings. It seemed to help. One day I did take off as a rest day. There will be time for CardioCoach next week, while I'm on travel again (this time in hotels).

Friday, when I drove home, I found STS waiting for me. I decided ... hmmm, I have three days here before flying out on Monday, and it is supposed to be ok to do the three days back to back ... so I started with disc 2, triceps, late Friday evening. Fortunately my husband is very understanding and did not get offended at my going to the basement for an hour, rather than sitting down to watch the news. Today, since we have a dinner function, I did my hike in the morning and then STS disc 3, legs, just now. Legs is also one terrific workout! Thank goodness I have been doing Leaner Legs pretty regularly and so it did not actually kill me. But both times, whenever I had done the 1RM test, it was accurate in exactly how many reps I could do. I am so glad I did as many tests as I did - all of the four and five stars, and a few of the three stars.

How are the rest of you going to handle your workouts? I'm more convinced than every that I'll be better off doing it on the 5 month plan, repeating each week, since sometimes I'll be doing the exercises three days in a row.

[edited in afterwards]
Oh! I meant to ask - I use a HRM when exercising, and although there are differing opinions for whether it is accurate in strength training, for Cathe's workout it seems to be right on target. Anyway, by that measure, I burned quite a few more calories per minute both on disc 2 and disc 3 than I normally do for an upper body and a lower body strength workout - comparing to what I usually burn for gym style triceps and Meaner Legs. Did anyone else notice that, or is it just me?

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I haven't posted my workouts all week, I didn't have many this week, was soooo busy. Monday and Wednesday nights I work part time at Walmart in the pharmacy, so I don't workout, the day would be sooo long. So the workouts I did this week were, Total Shaping, the premix that is double long, and I did Body fusion today.

Janie, herbalife is a weight loss program that I have acceppted a 12 week challenge doing. You have two meal replacement shakes a day, 4 fruit, tons of salald and 2 cooked veggies and 6 oz of protein for dinner, comes out to 1200 calories a day. I have lost 11 pounds since Jan 4th when I started it.

Had a really nice day today, no snow all week, yee haw! we really needed the break from the snow, we can actually see the roads again!!!! dh and I went grocery shopping and then walked to the butcher for meat. It was heaven not to wear the heavy winter coat.

I am so envious of you all getting the STS series, that is a long way off for me. How are the Chalene Extreme workouts? I have the Turbo Jam ones, hardly do them but as I am nearing the end of my begginner workout with Cathe, I think I will mish and mash other DVDs for a while. I have the Kelly Cofee Meyer workouts that I remember were really hard and fun to do, but alas I always come back to my girl Cathe.

Have great weekends everyone talk to you all tomorrow.:eek:

Hi Yall!

Long time no post. I took Wed. & Thurs off, felt beat. And yesterday I did Low Impact Circuit. That was a blast!:D Oh, yeah and I had a really nice surprise on Wed. when I tried a totally cute purple summer top with front ruffles (all the rage I'm told) and capped sleeves at Mendocino. And, POW:eek: did my arms pop in it! It totally showed off my defined arms and shoulders! I had no idea the improvements I had made on them until I put that top on! Quel surpize!! It makes all that sweat and hard work totally worth the effort!! Thank you Cathe!! Now, I'm just waiting for payday to buy the top.:D Today I did my gym workout for my physio on my legs and back and then did a set of Slim & Lean squats (I did it as plie squats). Will see how my knees take it. I forgot who asked about how long my DVD mishmosh with Amy Bento's ASC3 and Cathe's BodyMax 2 power circuits with Low Max leg blasts but I think it would be at least 1.5 hours long as ASC3 is 67 minutes in length and then add those blasts in. Whew, come to think of it I don't think I'll ever be able to finish it!!:eek:

Elle: Thanks for the soy milk tip. I'll check my local health food store. I do remember they had at least one brand that had no sugar, maybe it's Sunrise. But I do love my milk.

Ladubose: Glad your feeling better! Wow, a crocus how lucky. We won't be seeing anything like that until April.

Janie: I'm glad your enjoying your STS. I may start this Monday or when Cathe starts. Still have more 1RMs to do.

Hi Cooking Patty: I'm in Ontario too, we had an awesome day today didn't we! Felt like spring!! Who knows maybe we will see some flowers before April.

Shadowpup: You're like me I need that protein in the morning too or I'm famished and will get gas, yuck!:eek::p I also get it through yogurt and fiber on weekdays and eggs on weekends. Will be trying some cottage cheese with yogurt too. Very wise to pace yourself on heavy work days! Good for you that you've been so organized with your 1RM's. I didn't realized how useful they would be until I realized that the workout cards will estimate your weights for you and how fun that is:D! So this little slacker has to go to town now!:p

Have a great weekend everybody!:D

Hi Ladies

Today I used my weighted vest for the first time and I used twenty pounds in my vest and my usual weights for legs. I did 4 day split lower body only. Crykey I was sweating buckets. Then I added on the floor work from Pure Strength Legs. I might try and get in a short step only premix later as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight.

Laura the Indian last night out turned into a Chinese instead. It was very good but very high in calories. Also I had a couple of beers, oh dear.

Twinkletoes you sound like me I love my milk. I drink way too much of it.

Patricia you sound like you're doing really well with the Herbalife. I could do with a few weeks on a meal replacement diet to get some of my fat off.

I'm still waiting for STS hopefully I'll get it sometime this week. I think I've got another cold sore coming today. Lovely. They are so ugly looking aren't they?

I've got a few housework chores to get done today so I'm quite busy. Have great days everyone.

Love
Laura UK
x

Hi ya'll
Here is my checkin for the day, I did Low Impact Step, don't know why but my heartrated was way up there, usually 132-137, today it was 147! yikes, that is kind of scary for me, feeling really tired and not focused when I was working out yesterday and today, maybe I need to change my rotation a bit,
Hope everyone has a good week, will check in again Tues.

Hey everybody. Another gorgeous day here in Virginia. We are definitely getting the spring fever itch here. DH Joseph and I talked this morning about getting the boat ready for the season. Last year we left our boat in the slip over winter. Last spring, I did all the waxing. And let's just say it's quite a bit of waxing. So, this year for winter, we had our marina pull the boat and it is "on the hard." The bottom will get painted and the hull needs to be waxed. We don't do the hull--just way too much for us to handle. It's all I can do to handle the topsides. We've got some woodwork to deal with this year, so we're thinking of having the topside wax done by the group that will do the hull. As you can tell as I run on and on, boating is pretty much a passion. Love the boat as much as exercising with Cathe.

Okay, speaking of Cathe: today was Step Blast. I have to preview the step dvds before I do them otherwise I'm lost. I studied Step Blast last night while my DH was cooking dinner because this one is new territory for me. After I got done watching it, I thought--oh-oh, another rhythmic step like workout. This could take a few weeks to master. Well, I wasn't as bad as I thought I was going to be. I made it through the whole workout, including the challenge at the end, although I had to modify the blast segments otherwise I probably would have toppled right over. The thing that gave me the hardest time is those dang peg-leg pivots. I had them down at first and then I kept messing up on the left side run throughs. Finally figured out that I was pivoting the wrong way--which will definitely mess you up. I'm thinking I might fixate on Step Blast for a week or so until I get the whole thing down pat mixing in weight work--maybe from slow and heavy.

Hope everyone has a great week.
~michelle

Good Morning,

Laura, So glad to see you are better love the 4DS series. Have fun skiing! Wish I could join you.

Laura uk, Love Indian food. Did you have a good time at the "take away Indian"? Hope you receive STS soon. Bet your legs are fried! Those workouts are not easy and then doing them with a weight vest. WOW!

Michelle, 60 degrees is wonderful for outside activities. Did you go out in it? I need to see Virgina again. All step is a fantastic workout. Our taxes are done too, for the same reason as yours. It's now over with and don't have to worry about it again until next year.

Shadowpup, The day before was a step Up workout, yesterday was STS Legs, but in the middle of it I got sick. The rest of the day I still felt sick. This morning I feel much better and will do a Christy Taylor cardio floor workout. My legs has DOMS! Your workout last week sound wonderful. You are such a busy person. Love what you did with the STS. You made it work for you. I'm impressed. Super Woman you are in my eyes. I also noticed the extra calorie burn.

Patricia, Your workout plan look great. Love TS and BF. Congratulations on losing 11 pounds. Thanks for explaining Herballife. Sounds like a good program for you. Yea, you can't beat Cathe, she is the very best instructor in the world. Sounds like you may need a couple days off from working out. Just think about it, it might do a lot of good.

Twinkletoes, Isn't low Impact great! You work so hard on your exercises, bet you look great in anything. Enjoy your beautiful top.

Did my cardio today with Christy Taylor and will be a rest day tomorrow for me.

Take care everyone,

Janie

Last edited:
On the road again!

Hi all,

I'm headed out in the morning, but wanted to make a quick hello, tell you that I finished my third STS disc, and let you know about a fun thing that happened on my morning walk.

I have a regular half hour to 45 minute loop, through the forest you can see in my photo album. About twenty minutes in, my three dogs had run on ahead, around a bend and up through the trees beside the trail. It's just us and Nature for over 40 acres, and they are not on a leash. One of them, Sam the fluffy large border collie, began his hysterical "I see you!" bark. It can mean anything from a woodpecker to a squirrel. Without my glasses, I couldn't tell which, and I just kept right on going, planning to check it out as I got closer.

But ... as I got closer, even my poor eyesight could tell that there was more motion in the trees than a squirrel! There were legs ... and a big body ... maybe someone's horse was loose? That sometimes happens. Sam was getting braver in his bark - and the others were joining in - using the "Mom's gonna get you!" voice. Now you have to picture this. Here's a very nearsighted me, rounding a bend, looking up to see my three dogs barking at - a big cow MOOSE! She was ten feet away when I got a good look at her, and behind her was a half grown calf. Both clearly had a hard winter, and neither was planning to leave the patch of greenery that was peeking out of the snow! In fact ... Momma Moose was clearly deciding she'd best start stomping dogs, and probably the human for good measure. She was getting herself ready for a lumbering charge, since pawing the ground wasn't getting rid of those pesky dogs.

Running is not an option. It's still pretty snowy, at that stage where my boots slip in just an inch most of the time, but part of the time I sink to my knees. And you can never tell which bank was which. Even the dogs were getting stuck.

Fortunately, there are a lot%

Last edited:
I've been MIA for a while now. I had a little episode with my little sis. Anyway, I didn't work out for three days in a row! Oh well it was a nice break, but i guess i didn't really need another one.

Anyway I am starting a new rotation. Total body weights 3x a week and cardio 3x a week.

So tonight is MM.

Eating has been terrible too by the way. Time to get on track and start eating good, loose the goo before summer!!!

Checking in Feb 9th

Hello everyone!!!

Looking forward to a good workout week and getting back on track with eating. Doesn't it seem like we all struggle with that. I had a Valentine's Day party for my sisters and my mom and best friend on Sunday. We do this every year - we all buy each other a $5 gift - it can be anything - and we get together and laugh and talk, drink wine and exchange gifts. It is a nice way to put a positive spin on Valentine's Day. I have always just hated this holiday - talking about setting yourself up for failure. My DH never gets it right unless I spell it out for him and that gets tiresome so this is just a nice something for us girls. Needless to say - did not eat well - but it was fun to eat poorly so to speak.

Shadowpup - Wow - Moose. I saw Moose a couple of times in Alaska - my first time ever. You can't imagine how all us tourists clammered to get a photo!!! I was in a bus though - I can't imagine what that would have felt like if I was just out there with my dogs - all exposed - nowhere to run. What did you eventually do?

Michelle - I consider STep Blast to be the hardest step from Cathe - is it that way for you too? The first time I did it - it blew me away - I got through it fine but I can't say I didn't battle.

Janie - I was looking at some Christi Taylor workouts today. I don't have any. I'd love to hear your opinion of them. Which one do you have?

Shoe report: a pair of brown flats - they are cloth and have this little brown bow on them with frayed edges - it gives them a romantic quality. You'd have to see them - need a flats every so often - I get around much quicker!!!

I plan on doing Amy's Advanced Step Challenge II today - in an attempt to get that completely mastered. I'll let you all know how that goes.

Will check in again - hope everyone has a great day.

Shoegal

Okay, so today I am taking a break--no workout. I woke up this morning and said to myself--nope, workout not happening today. Of course, Ripken and I did our normal 2 mile weekday walk this morning, but that just naturally follows rolling out of bed and getting dressed.

Shoegal: I think that Step Blast is pretty darn tough. It reminds me of rhythmic step in terms of the intricacy of the choreography and then there's that challenge (with a twist) at the end. I noticed that Cathe looks like she is struggling a bit in a couple of spots in this one too--thank goodness they leave that stuff in. It's reassuring. I literally felt like I was going to topple over at the end, but I'm looking forward to doing it again. :)

~michelle

Hi Everyone,
I haven't checked in for a while and i also haven't worked out at all in 4 days except for the yoga poses i taught my beginner's classes.:eek:
Catching up on all the posts has motivated me to get right back on track though. I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well.
Tonight i will be doing the LoMax step only premix and some yoga.
Thanks to all of you for your good advice, motivation and inspiration.

Finally checking in....

Hi everyone!

Tried to check in over the weekend...kept getting kicked off the internet! :( Hope it doesn't happen now!

Did Legs and Glutes today :) HST and abs tomorrow, cardio only HST.

Laura, I have to get a new step and some of the slanted risers myself! Do you want to do a 3 or 5 month rotation? Previewed some of the discs this weekend all I can say is WOW!
The Plyo Legs are gonna b TOUGH! :D

Janie how are you doing with your rotation? I know you are just blasting through! :)
Thanks everyone for keeping me motivated and trying!

Hope everyone had a great Monday!

Hello Ladies,
Well I haven't done Chalene for several days, I'm just not as crazy about it as I want to be. It really is a good program but something about doing squats of all kinds while simultaneously doing some sort of upper body work that just doesn't sit well with me. I can't go as heavy with the upper body as I'd like while squatting and maintaing good form. I guess it well go on ebay soon. However today I started my 1RM testing, jumpin jehosaphats!!! It is ver daunting when you look at all the exercises you have to do this for. Should of started this sooner. After plugging in the info just for M1 W1 D1, I deleted it thinking it would plug itself into all the right places as it is supposed to do. Well, when I went back to check and see if the percentages were calculated in the print out card section and saw it was all gone, I split a vein!! Went back and plugged all the information and then realized that I needed to download the rotation, duh!!

It is still raining here and I looooooove it!

Shadowpup- 40 acres, wow how spectacular can that be, beautiful snow, trees, and big Momma Moose ready to defend here babes!

Shoegal-my shoe report: sheepskin moccasins as I did my 1RM testing :)

Laura/UK-quick! run and get some abreva for that cold sore. Do you have that product out there? You are supposed to apply the creme/ointment as early as possible. If you wait a few days then there is no point. I got a cold sore in early January and it looked like a meteor hanging out on my lip. It took 8 days to heal and I still have some type of blemish/demarcation from it. Hoping you get over it quickly!

Good night,
Claudia

Hey Lurkers!

Last night I did MM, I did well with it. Most weights the same as Cathe or a little less. (Gettin there!:))

Then I was only going to do the first part of turbo Jam CP#2, but I felt great so I did the whole thing. It's nice to feel GREAT for once!!! I've felt so shitty the last couple of weeks. I think I just needed a change.

Claudia- I know what you mean about wanting to be into a workout so bad but dreading every min of it! Just do what makes you happy for a while. Maybe later you will "feel it" with CLX.

ironLady- That stinks about the interent!

Shoegal- Love the shoe report of the day! Ha! Step Blast is a challenge. Super fun though!

Hi to everyone else!!

Good morning everyone.
Back to the exercise grind this morning. Today I did Slow and Heavy Chest and Back. I was happy with myself because I was able to use 15 pound dumb bells for the chest presses; 12 pounds for the flies. I had to back off a bit on the bent over rows from 12 to 10 pounds because I could feel a little twinge in my lower back that was not a sign of happiness. I liked this workout because it really lets me concentrate on form. Tomorrow I'll be back to Step Blast.

~michelle

Good Mornin,

Sorry all, for not posting yesterday. I've been sick. I'm good to go now and will be doing week 2 disk 4 of STS today.

Shadowpup, A moose and a baby? My, not everyone can say that while they are walking around. I want to walk with you in the mornings! I would have been so frightened though. But how cool is that? Don't worry about not running, don't need to run with deep snow like that. I'm sure you are getting your cardio in raising your your feet high to get through the snow.

Tracy Lynn, Your new rotation sounds great. MM is a fantastic workout and using most weights as Cathe does is awesome. It feels great doesn't it?

Shoegal, What, no new shoes? LOL Eating has been a problem for me. It's great to know I'm not alone and that we can incourage one another along. I think I've got all of Christy Taylor's DVD's. Her newest one is Fit to Cance. Fun and sweaty. She's a great instructor with awesome cuing, therefore you can do her stuff with ease. Most of her work is cardio.

Elle, Did you enjoy Low Max Step yesterday? Glad to see you are back on top of everything. Missed you.

Sherry, The STS series are fantastic! I'm so glad I bought it.

Booboo, Before you sell Chaleane Extreme (is it?) please think about it. They are meant to be hard so you can grow into it. You might want to reconsider. If you do sell though, pm me first OK? But I hope you don't sell, cause I hear they are pretty good. You are the first I've heard that don't like them, at least enough that you might sell them. Grant you, if you are uncomfortable with them, then of course do a rotation that you love, cause that is key.

Well everyone, I'm looking outside my window and it is snowing. It shouldn't snow all day and expect it to turn into rain. But it is, right now so lovely. I'll be getting STS ready for Joey and me and then in the hot tub I go. Hopefully it will still be snowing then.

See ya later,

Janie

Good Morning,
Well nice and chilly here, sun is out but no rain :( My eating has been horrendous. Too much wine, caramels, white bread with imported provolone a new found treasure!! After Saturday mass in the early evenings Joey and I walk around in little italy, grab coffee and a pastry and just sit and chat about life's musings. Then off to the italian bakery where they have the best baked fresh daily rolls. Pick up a dozen then walk a few more blocks and go to the italian deli for a big hunk of imported provolone and what ever else tickles our fancy. We go home, and I get something comfy on, and its wine, cheese and a warm fire with my guy :) :) Now if only I had snow and a hot tub!! Oh Janie you are one lucky gal!!

Shoe report-Costco ugg boots. Probably not at cute as shoe gals flats. However spring is coming and oh my choos, blahniks and louboutins will be coming out to play!!!!

Well it is off to continue my 1RM testing.

Have a great day ladies.
Booboo

Check in Feb 10th

HI ALL!!

Shoe report (really boot report) - a gorgeous pair of Manolo Blahniks - yeah, right - not with what I spend on exercise DVDs - I can dream, though, can't I? (sigh!!!) I am wearing brown boots with a gold buckle detail. I like the detail on a boot - makes it more special. Actually not sure of the brand - I'm thinking Bandolino.

Wanted all to know that my venture with ASCII was an utter failure. Well, perhaps that is a bit of an exaggeration - I in no way - on any level - mastered the 5th combo. Amy should be ashamed of her cueing here - complete & total lack of any valuable instruction on how to accomplish this. I did the whole thing which meant I completely stumbled my way through combo 5 every time it came around (glad no one was watcing!!) - even did Ab Circuits (no equipment one) and loved that!!

I'm really thinking of getting my 1Rep Max testing done this week. Someone motivate me to do that.

Hate when my husband is in the office working (or playing) or doing whatever he does in there - it is butt up against my workout out room. I get all discombobulated and I desperately want him to go away. We've had "noise" issues before - and I don't want to have to worry about it.

BooBoo - sheepskin mocasins sound lovely - warm, comfy - yeah, I could get into that. But you should definitely use the "Shoegal" moniker - not me - with Jimmy Choos, Christian Louboutins and Manolo Blahniks in your closet!!!! I am VERY jealous. Hey - what size do you wear? I have a wine & cheese night every Wednesday with my DH - sometimes it morphs into wine, cheese and a fight night - lol!!

MIchelle - I have the same problem with bent over rows - they actually hurt my lower back and I tend to lighten up - and I mess around with my posture and form to ease the discomfort - but I'm afraid maybe it is just my back - not how I'm performing the exercise.

Janie - I was just wishing for snow this morning while I was driving into work - it is raining, raining, raining!!!!

Would really like to acknowledge everyone - thanks for checking in - I love reading the posts.

Have a good day.

Shoe - uh, person. :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.