June 30th: My last cigarette!!!

christosz

Cathlete
Oh yes! Greece is finally going for the smoking ban on July 1st in all public buildings, restaurants, coffee shops, etc...

Been a smoker since I was 15 (I am now 44) and I think it's time I quit!!! :eek::eek::eek:

So I decided to smoke my last cigarette on the evening of June 30th. But not because of just the new law. I'll be doing me a favor, saving cash and stop drinking so much coffee during the day! Coffee and cigarettes go so well together... :(

Please keep the pep talk coming!!! :D:D:D

Chris.

Thanks, Catherine!!!:D:D:D

I'm just wondering how my lungs will feel during the Imaxes after a nicotine-free summer... :eek:

YES!!! You can do it!

I did it 10 years ago.:) It's a little rough in the beginning, but just remind yourself that you are stronger than the addiction!;) I refused to allow cigarettes to be in control of my body.:mad:
What helped me was to find something to do in place of lighting up. Some people chew on celery- I drank a glass of water when I had the urge to light up. It gave me something to do and I believe it was helping my body flush all the toxins out:D

Good Luck!

I wanted to add...you will be surprised how much the smell repulses you after you are nicotine free. Now, I can't tolerate the odor. Just wait until you find out how bad you really smell-YIKES!!!

Chris, what a wonderful thing to do for yourself! Congrats on the choice and I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Guys u r awesome!!!

Cynthia, thanks for the tips! Sometimes, when I don't want to smoke at work I have a huge bottle of cold mineral water and take sall sips, so I guess I'm on the right track... :D

Good luck Chris! You really can do it! Do you plan to start cutting back now so that it's not such a shock when June 30 rolls around?

Amy

This is a HUGE accomplishment! You should be so proud of yourself. My father passed away 7 years ago from lung cancer. He was only 53 yrs old:( Right up until the end he smoked even as his lungs were filling with fluid. It was so sad. He left behind a wonderful wife and 2 great kids (myself included). He has missed so much of my life already. I graduated from graduate school, i got married to a wonderful man. Its so sad not having him there. You are doing the right thing not only for you but your family. Please keep it up! It just gets easier from here.

you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

how much do you smoke every day? it might help to start cuting down now. i quit in oct 07 but i cut down my # of cigs every day over time. when it came to quit day, i was left with my toughest cigarettes to quit - for me, those with my coffee. i actually quit drinking coffee for the first 6 weeks or so because i didnt think i'd be able to get through it without a smoke. also, i told absolutely everyone that i was quitting - even ppl at my bus stop, the store clerks that sold me cigs, etc. i did have a few puffs in that first few weeks but i didnt give up, just looked at it as a momentary setback not a "i'm no longer quit" setback, if you know what i mean. everyone is different so you have to do what works for you, but thought i would share what worked for me in case you find some of these ideas helpful.

congratulations! you will come through the other side of this feeling soooooo good!

wendy

I've seen MANY people who I never thought would quit smoking quit. My dad is one. Was a chain smoker for years and then one day he said enough is enough.

Mind over matter. Willpower. You can do it!! :cool:

Good for you Chris! It's been 6 years, one month (yes, I'm still keeping track) for me. I still miss it every day, but the very thing you mentioned is what keeps me away from it. Wait until you feel the difference in your exercise routine! Not just cardio either--my lifting got much better, I think it has something to do w/more oxygen getting to your muscles.

Jolly Ranchers or some other type of hard candy has been my substitute.

Good luck!

You have our support, Chris!!!!! Not sure if this helps, but I think quitting an addiction cold turkey is better than weaning off of it. Either way I know you can do it and you will!!!!!!! Congratulations on your smart decision !!!! :D

:D:D:D:D

Can't help smiling at all your positive and supporting comments!!!

I definitely started cutting down on the # of cigarettes since the day I decided to quit. I might even go through 5 or 6 hours without lighting one. But as Wendy said, the toughest part would be drinking coffee :eek:
Still, I did let everyone know I am quitting so at east I'd be too embarrassed not to!!!
Kariev, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. It's strange how people stick to smoking cigarettes (among other self-destructive habits) even when they see the facts, even when their own body collapses...
Debbie, that's more or less what happened to me... Apart from the law, it's been almost a month now that I noticed that 4 out of 5 cigarettes I smoke taste awful! Maybe my taste buds (if not my whole body) are warning me! So I said "enough!", too!;)
Laura, I might try sugar-free mastic gum (Greek product and very very healthy!!!) and lots of tea (white, green, red... !). I was considering letting my nails grow for those hard times!!!! :eek::eek::eek:
Jennifer, I'm a "cold turkey" person. I don't think I'll even "steal" a few puffs from a friend if it comes to that. No way!

Chris.

:D:D:D:D

Can't help smiling at all your positive and supporting comments!!!

I definitely started cutting down on the # of cigarettes since the day I decided to quit. I might even go through 5 or 6 hours without lighting one. But as Wendy said, the toughest part would be drinking coffee :eek:
Chris.

You know what Chris? I was worried about the coffee too, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it tastes MUCH better without cigarettes. Weird huh? When I smoked I drank one cup before work, now I find myself drinking 2-3, just b/c it tastes so good. :)

Forgot to mention, I used the nicotine patch, & I don't think I would've been able to do it without it.

Oh yes! Greece is finally going for the smoking ban on July 1st in all public buildings, restaurants, coffee shops, etc...

Been a smoker since I was 15 (I am now 44) and I think it's time I quit!!! :eek::eek::eek:

So I decided to smoke my last cigarette on the evening of June 30th. But not because of just the new law. I'll be doing me a favor, saving cash and stop drinking so much coffee during the day! Coffee and cigarettes go so well together... :(

Please keep the pep talk coming!!! :D:D:D

Chris.

Best of luck - you can definitely do it. My dad was a smoker for 20+ years, quit cold turkey and turned into marathon man running 5 minute miles - mind over matter!

Are they really going to enforce this ban :) holiday will be so much more enjoyable then this year :)

Best of luck - you can definitely do it. My dad was a smoker for 20+ years, quit cold turkey and turned into marathon man running 5 minute miles - mind over matter!

Are they really going to enforce this ban :) holiday will be so much more enjoyable then this year :)

I'm sure some people will find a loophole to permit smoking in nightclubs, coffee shops, restaurants etc... I'll just be sitting at the NO SMOKING SECTION by then!! Woohoooooo!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.