How old is TOO old?

Kim --

Just adding my vote for Just Do It -- if your heart tells you this is really what you want to do! I went to nursing school when I was 38, graduated at 41, and have been working for 18 months in cardiovascular recovery. I reached a moment where I knew I couldn't ignore that feeling of "this is what I want to do" any more. And I love my "new" career! I was the oldest student in my class of 50 students, with most of the rest traditional undergraduate age, and I really enjoyed being in school again with this new generation (they listened patiently when I told them we didn't HAVE cell phones or personal computers the first time I was an undergrad!). I know you've gotten good support and opinions here, but I wanted to share my experience. If you really want it, you can figure out how to make it happen. And yes, I told myself that same thing -- the years will pass whether you're back in school or not!

Best wishes!
Allison

I just am so fascinated with weather, I'd love to get a degree in meteorology and go work for the weather channel, lol...

You dream of being a meteorologist... From one Buckeye to another, you sure are living in the perfect state for it! Where else can it be in the 50's on Friday and by Sunday it's 3 degrees below zero with the wind chill?!

At the ripe old age of 59...

You stop learning when you're dead.

...just on month ago, I started to take piano lessons - shifting and stretching my brain from a "note reader" to learning to play gospel piano by ear! If that ain't a challenge, I don't know what is! It's something I've wanted to do forever, and I think it makes me more motivated as a older student. This can even translate into an unexpected source of retirement income!

Even if you're in your 90's you can watch Jeopardy & learn something new every day!

You dream of being a meteorologist... From one Buckeye to another, you sure are living in the perfect state for it! Where else can it be in the 50's on Friday and by Sunday it's 3 degrees below zero with the wind chill?!

How true! Ah, Ohio weather...gotta love it..my "snowbird" clients that go to FL in the winter are so smart:)

And, our electricity is still out...I'm sitting in a Drury Inn but at least I'm toasty and there are Belgian waffles for breakfast for free!

Heidi

If I can have a baby at 40, you are not too old for school!!!!

I went to college and nursing school right after HS and focused on my job. Then I got married and had children in my late late late 30's and early 40's. They are 7 and 5 now. Once they are in school full time, I plan on taking some classes in a new career path. You are never to old to learn or achieve!!!
Good Luck with your decision
ellie

I'm 43 and am currently going to school for exercise science. I have been going part-time for 3 years and sit in classes with 20yo kids all the time. It's really not a big deal... I think that I am older than some professors too. :eek: It has been the best decision...I started after the youngest of my three kids started school full time. It has been very fulfilling and I look forward to my classes and internship every day. I say go for it!

What's worse, and this brings me to the post title, I see myself sitting in these classes at 36, while everyone else is in their late teens, early 20's. If I started in 2010 and went straight through, I'd be finished at 42. My dad says, "well, you'll be 42 anyway." I know that's right but.....how old is too old?

P.S. What's worse is this has driven me to sit here and eat straight from the chocolate almond ice cream container.

Your dad is right on the money. I was in a similar situation with my masters degree and my DH said, Well, Leslie, you´re going to be 49 anyway. So there I was, I got my MA at age 49 :D. And at 52 working on another. It is so important to have support, though. Do all the research, pros and cons, the details will work out. The 3 1/2 hour drive is a killer, but keep in mind, this is not forever. Good luck

I found this old thread, anybody find themselves in this boat? I did when I was in my early 50's. I was retired, but didn't want to stay home, (daytime tv drives me nuts) my kids were on their own, and how many times a week can you scrub the kitchen floor. Had a BS in Electrical Engineering. Went back to school. Received my Masters. I know, I dog engineers all the time. I can, because I'm one of them.You're never too old. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I found this old thread, anybody find themselves in this boat? I did when I was in my early 50's. I was retired, but didn't want to stay home, (daytime tv drives me nuts) my kids were on their own, and how many times a week can you scrub the kitchen floor. Went back to school. What did you do? What are your thoughts?
I earned my B.S. in Business Administration 10 years ago. Today, at age 56 (almost age 57!), I'm studying Holistic Nutrition. It's an online M.S. degree program with Hawthorn University. I took my first class and then had to go on medical leave due to tennis elbow surgery this past July, but I'm gearing up to get back to my studies very soon. As far as I'm concerned, learning is a life long endeavor. I think I saw an earlier post that read, "you stop learning when you're dead." I agree! You're NEVER too old to learn and it's excellent for taking care of the grey matter in your brain.:D

I sometimes feel it is actually better to take on educational endeavors at a later age. Many of us (I know not everyone) will be more disciplined and will have such a better sense of themselves then. Like how much is too much, setting more realistic expectations and honestly, just adding more to lectures and class/online discussions due to life experience. I feel this makes up for some of the cognitive decline many of us have (again not everyone, but I just know my information retrieval ability has been declining since age 34!) I learned so much from the 'mature students' in my classes in university. Particularly in my Philosophy and Sociology courses. At 17-19, I was not much more than a blank slate with regards to developed thoughts on many of the issues and ideas discussed, so I felt we needed life and career experienced students to enrich our university education.
Congrats to all of you taking on brand new learning! Allison, becoming a nurse at 41 .....freaking awesome!!!

I'm another who revisited education later on. Got my BEng at 21, then my PhD at 25 (both in engineering), had to get a job outside of academia because I need the £££ (I had my dd at 25). I always missed learning however, and when life forced my dh and I in another direction, I retrained as a landscape architect. I still missed the real academic stuff, though, so I gained a BSc in mathematics in my 40s (took me 4 years, though). I'm now a big fan of mooc, and take lots of their courses.
I intend to continue like this until there's nothing left to learn- so basically forever.

Someone posted a few days ago about one thing we would change. That got me thinking. I know it does no good to sit and depress myself over the things I SHOULD have done, but that's what's happening. I actually looked online tonight for info on the vet school I'd wanted to attend. There is A LOT involved and pretty much the only thing I'd have going for me as far as getting in is the fact that I already have 2 degrees they could pull pre-requisites from. Other than that, it would be lots of time and money. I have NO idea how I'd do it, especially since the school is 3 1/2 hours away and I'm not looking to move. What's worse, and this brings me to the post title, I see myself sitting in these classes at 36, while everyone else is in their late teens, early 20's. If I started in 2010 and went straight through, I'd be finished at 42. My dad says, "well, you'll be 42 anyway." I know that's right but.....how old is too old?

P.S. What's worse is this has driven me to sit here and eat straight from the chocolate almond ice cream container.
Do it, we are only here once

Well this post first showed up in 2008. I would love to know if the OP decided for or against going back to school. It would have been a LOT to handle.....not because of age, but because of all the other responsibilities that those who are a bit older have to deal with such as paying a mortgage, juggling the bills, helping aging parents, helping kids (even if they aren't home anymore), taking care of pets, household chores, spousal commitments, etc. etc. etc. I could certainly understand if she decided against it. Those in their 20's don't typically have all the responsibilities on their plates as those who are a decade or two or more older.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.