How old is TOO old?

Well, you'll either be 42 with a vet degree or you'll be 42 without the vet degree.

How do you think you'll feel in 10 years? Will you be wishing that you went back to school when you were 36?

Just a thought. Good Luck.

42?

Someone posted a few days ago about one thing we would change. That got me thinking. I know it does no good to sit and depress myself over the things I SHOULD have done, but that's what's happening. I actually looked online tonight for info on the vet school I'd wanted to attend. There is A LOT involved and pretty much the only thing I'd have going for me as far as getting in is the fact that I already have 2 degrees they could pull pre-requisites from. Other than that, it would be lots of time and money. I have NO idea how I'd do it, especially since the school is 3 1/2 hours away and I'm not looking to move. What's worse, and this brings me to the post title, I see myself sitting in these classes at 36, while everyone else is in their late teens, early 20's. If I started in 2010 and went straight through, I'd be finished at 42. My dad says, "well, you'll be 42 anyway." I know that's right but.....how old is too old?

P.S. What's worse is this has driven me to sit here and eat straight from the chocolate almond ice cream container.

NOT too old! Go for it!

I actually looked online tonight for info on the vet school I'd wanted to attend. There is A LOT involved and pretty much the only thing I'd have going for me as far as getting in is the fact that I already have 2 degrees they could pull pre-requisites from. Other than that, it would be lots of time and money. I have NO idea how I'd do it, especially since the school is 3 1/2 hours away and I'm not looking to move. What's worse, and this brings me to the post title, I see myself sitting in these classes at 36, while everyone else is in their late teens, early 20's. If I started in 2010 and went straight through, I'd be finished at 42. My dad says, "well, you'll be 42 anyway." I know that's right but.....how old is too old?

It is NEVER too old to earn a degree or further your education, or even life learning. I earned my Ph.D. at 28 and a 2nd master's at 30. The folks in my classes who were "non-traditional" in age were often much more insightful than my cohort. This was true when I started teaching for universities as well (some in their 60s). My husband just earned his 2nd master's (MBA) at 44 from a 100% (full accredited) online university. We live in Germany, but will return to the States next year for good. There are so many opportunities now that you don't have to rely on a face-to-face environment. You can make it work and you are worth it! Go for it. If it's your passion, it won't feel like work. No one will ever be able to take away from you the knowledge gained about the industry and yourself.

Last edited:
Have you seen the age of the average Vet? Sometimes it takes more grounded people to be able to deal with sick animals like that (goddess knows I couldn't do it!)

There's NOTHING old about mid 30's girl! Most people go through a career change around that time anyway, I expect I will around 40 or so.. (Ive even thought about what it will be hee)..

Id like to go back to school for exercise and nutrition science and be a fitness coach or somehting.. I don't feel its too late nor do I feel it WILL be when (and if) if finally happens (currentl economic conditions has me deathly afraid to invest time and $$$ into a service that likely wont' bring me any.. $$$)..

Studies say that most people go through about 4-6 career changes in their lifetimes. Some poeple are better at picking up newer things with age.. I feel I could easily go through schooling for ANYTHING (well.. almost ;) now whereas in my teens when I was in CC.. well.. I won't tell you what my average was, but let's just say that it was big waste of time and $$$ :)

You're 36. Not 90.

Okay, I totally missed that part. You're ONLY 36!! I'm 47 and I"D do it. Like I said, there aren't a lot of vet schools so they're tough to get into (I had a VERY qualified friend who finally made it on his fifth try). Get in and you'll see everyone's older. You'll hardly be the only one.

Hey, I'm a vet who at times considers a career change after being a vet for 16 years. It wears on me at times, but all in all, I love the career. I just am so fascinated with weather, I'd love to get a degree in meteorology and go work for the weather channel, lol...

DH is a vet who'd like to own a soup and salad kind of deli/restaurant.

Go figure - I think everyone wonders what it'd be like doing something else that involves another of your passions...

Auburn is a good school - just take the first step and see what the process would be to apply as in specific requirements, etc. Just jump in and check - what could it hurt?

I would say, though, Tami that I'd get some "behind the scenes" experience at a local vet for a few weeks in case you haven't already. Trust me, this job can really suck, and although those puppies and kittens are fun.. and yes, I love animals, too...there are days that you are so depressed you want to bang your head on the wall (but then you are in mental health now, so maybe you'd deal with that better?;))

Not trying to discourage you, just keepin' it real:)

Heidi

Studies say that most people go through about 4-6 career changes in their lifetimes. :)

ITA. Here's my progression:
1. Started out on a tenure-track position teaching for a university in the States
2. Moved to Germany with my DH
3. Started a 2nd master's degree in counseling while finishing my Ph.D.
4. Served as a career counselor
5. Am now a Licensed Professional Counselor, but sit behind a desk implementing Army policy (ugh)
6. While working full-time, earned a certification in personal training, yoga instruction and group exercise instruction. Currently, I work part-time in that field while maintaining my full-time job.

And I'll be 36 next month!

Once I return to the States will pursue that route for sure. So much to fall back on--multiple industries (counseling, admin/management, teaching/instruction, personal training/yoga instructor/group exercise instructor). The best part--no one can ever take away my degrees, my experience, or my love with what I do. I wake up every morning saying, "I get to go to work" rather than "I have to go to work." It makes all the difference. I get to do what I love and the paycheck is the bonus. :D

My grandmother was 83 when she got her college diploma. She is now getting her masters at 85. You are never too old!

I'm 47 and am in my first year of teaching. At age 41 I started and finished massage therapy school (hated it once I started doing it for a living). So, I decided to finish my teaching degree and started again at age 45. I found that age really becomes irrelevant when you and your classmates are all trying to achieve the same goal. I think young, I feel young, and I think that projects to others.

You are never too old to define a new goal, and try to achieve it. Like the other post said, the years will pass whether or not you are working toward your dream. The big difference will be after those years have passed - you'll either be a vet or you'll just be older and still wishing you had tried.

GO FOR IT!!!

I like what Beavs said. :D

Just wanted to say my mom didn't get her PhD until about 50 but she had a great, if brief, career as a professor. She'd still be teaching now at 66 if she hadn't gotten re-hitched this past year and decided to go off and be a newlywed (she's also not too old for that).

My DH is a Vet. He worked for 5 years after high school, so when he decided to go back to get his undergraduate degree and doctorate of Vet Med, he was 5 to 6 years older than everyone else. However, he was not the oldest by far. He had a guy in his class who was an Army Veteran. He was 60 years old when he graduated! So, you are definitely never too old.

One thing for sure though, NO WAY can you go through Vet School living 3+ hours away. The studying, the clinicals, the hours are brutal. You have to live close to the Vet School.

If this is your dream, I say go for it no matter what your age. Just be prepared for a very difficult, intense, 4 years.

Last edited:
I went back to school this fall @ almost 26. That doesn't sound "old" but going back for me presented some unique challenges that I didn't have at 18 (and I was the 2nd oldest person in my A&P class this semester lol). First, I have to work FT as well as going to school. Studying for finals when you're also trying to get month end invoices done is somewhat challenging! Second, I have a young son. I don't know if you have children, but that was the biggest sacrifice for me to have to make. I hate having anymore of my time taken from him, but I know in the end he will benefit from my schooling too.

BUT, along w/ those challenges came some advantages I didn't have at when I was in college the first time. I'm more dedicated to my studies because I know this is what I really want this time around. I know what i'm sacrificing to make this happen so i'm darn well not going to waste the opportunity.

I'll be 30 when I graduate my RN program and then I need a couple years of work experience before I go back for my advanced practice degree which is another two years.

If its something you want then go for it!

I had BA/MBA by 24,then went back for nursing at 28.The people who worked full time, had kids, and were over 25 ALL made it to graduation.(only 29 out of 170 graduated)
Having said that, the reality is that there IS a point where your "comeback" time isn't as great.The older MD residents - and by that I mean over 45 just got a little more tired...but no less competant, no less dedicated - just not willing to work 36 hours and go out for beer for breakfast!
Living 3 hours away - I don't see how that can work well, BUT maybe you can find a way to do it with a cheapo room to stay over in...if you have MONEY to back you, THAT makes a HUGE difference....

So, if you have the energy, the ability to get funding, and the longing to do this, I still think you're young enough to not only do it, but have a very long and gratifying career - heck, vets can find work clear into their 80's! Our local vet, mentor of the local vets, still sees "patients" two mornings a week - and he's in his 70s!
Its a career that has longevity, more so than human medicine!

Let us know ok? My golden has a lipoma he'd like removed.

Hi Kim,
I went back to school when I was 36 and was surprised at how many people were my age and older. Once you're in the class you see it doesn't matter how old anyone is! I am now in my 50's and planning to go back again. I say do it! If nothing else, try a couple of classes and then you'll know if it's what you really want or not. My girlfriend who is also in her 50's has been wondering about going to school for 25 years. Wondering hasn't taken her very far.

As others have said, you're never too old!
Jo :)

I think it's all attitude. If you think you're too old, just don't do it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Well I have decided that if things change for me personally...and I'd be shocked if they didn't sooner than later, I'm going to do it. Then I'll be totally free to move closer. I still don't know how to finance it though...loans I'm sure but I"m also sure I'd have to work full time to afford a place. Thinking about things like that, it almost seems like "what's the point?" But then again, if it's osmething I REALLY want.....THEN I sometimes think about just going further in the field I'm in, maybe trying a different type of job in this field....or getting a 2nd Masters in something else.

I graduated from law school with a man who was 71. He was widowed young with 4 children that he raised alone. After seeing all of them through college and graduate school, he decided that since he had always wanted to go to law school he should do it. So at 68 years old, he applied, was accepted, and was a joy to have in our classes. He is practicing law still even though he is in his 80s now.

In my former firm, all three founding partners didn't start their legal careers until they were in their late 30's /early 40's. It's never too old, if you ask me. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.