Getting Our Licks In!

All this talk of snow--and I'm happy to say that we are having many of the first signs of spring here in Virginia: crocus are blooming, daffodils are pushing, weeping willows are starting to turn green, and some maple trees are starting to push their blooms. I'm taking all of this as good signs warmer weather is not too far away. Haven't checked to temperature outside, but I think it is suppose to be in the mid-50s to maybe even 60 today. Sounds good to me.

I did the IMAX3 premix for intervals 1-5 again. Gosh--is is just me? I think IMAX3 is really tough. I'm not familiar with the routine and I really have to mentally concentrate and make sure I'm keeping my breathing steady. By the end of the fifth interval I'm really huffing and puffing. I'd like to master this workout--if that's even possible. I have to back off on some of the blasts just to get through them, but I'm trying to go all-out on each blast a little more each time I do the workout. Tough, tough, tough. Then I followed up with the ab work from STS total body. I figure since I'm only doing 35 minutes of cardio right now, I should add some ab work. And, I've dropped one pound of my vacation weight gain-3 more to go.

Janie: don't get discouraged. Push-ups with good form are hard and you are doing great! If you miss exercising with Joey, maybe you should take a break for a week, but please don't give up.

Sister: yes, I enjoyed yesterday off too. Just think, this week you have a short week and then a long weekend. You most likely need to the mental break.

MicheleZ: It sounds like your body is sending you a message. Do you ever set aside one day and do a good stretch. Sometimes a good long stretch routine can really help to work out the kinks and relax the body. Do you have any of Cathe's stretching dvds?

Laura: you are such a great mom. I love to read about you and your girls. You sound like you are absolutely in love with them. It's so great. And you are clearly passing along some good healthy habits to them. Did Misty go cross country with you all?

Elle: I would like to send some warm air and sunshine your way. It seems that Canada has had a tough winter this year.

Hi to Shadowpup and Shoegal.
~michelle

You guys are great! I've been thinking and decided to start Mon. on working out with Joey. I'll use heavy weight, as usual, with TBS and then I'll continue to do the challenges for now. At least I will be exercising with Joey and doing a Cathe workout. After the challenges will also continue a second and third round of heavy weight on the Smith Machine since Joey only does one set of exercises. That way I won't miss a beat. I'm excited!

Renee, I'm glad you feel better since your break. You deserve one every now and then you know.:) Great job on your classes and the start of the last week of Meso 2. Congratulations!

Michelle, Oh, don't you just love the first signs of life before Spring? It's so wonderful to see that. Soon our asparagus will pop up, and we'll be eating it. Yummmmmy! You are having amazing weather, enjoy.:D Great job on the ab work and Imax3 1-5, it's one of the toughest workouts I know. You will concure it, and the way you are planning for the attach, it won't take long. Congratulations for dropping a pound off from your vacation weight gain. Well done. Thanks for your encouragement, it is so appreciated.

Take care everyone,

Janie

Michelle - actually I do have one of her stretching DVDs from the Hardcore series. Thank you for the reminder! I think I will do one of those tomorrow. I am still feeling fatigued and my lower back is aching - pretty sure it isn't the flu or a cold as I have no other symptoms but fatigue and lower back pain - I just feel "off" for lack of a better term. If I don't get to feeling better by Wed. of next week, I am going to trudge back to the doctor. Tomorrow is my last day of antibiotics and I am starting to wonder if they are part of the problem. I have not worked out now since Wed. so I think I have had more than enough rest and I still don't feel well. I am really hoping it is the antibiotics and I will start to feel better after tomorrow. I am really sorry for complaining all the time but I am not use to feeling like this for an extended time. I have not had much problems other than a sinus infection since I started working out in November - almost 3 months now. So it is frustrating to get into the groove, start to get more energy and feel better and now this :mad:

Well, I haven't been outside since the morning walkabout with Ripken, but my DH tells me it has warmed up nicely. We'll see about that a little later. I need to cut back my lariope before it starts coming up again, so I may venture outside in a bit.

Trying to wrap up taxes today. I just need to do the point and click thing through the state return, print out, and give to DH for his review. While one set of forms was printing earlier, I did Slow and Heavy Chest and Back. I figure I'll do S&H for one more week, then I will figure out what to do next. Tomorrow will be a cardio--maybe IMAX3 intervals 6-10 or Intensity. Either one will be hard.

Janie: sounds like you've got a plan that is going to satisfy everything you want to do. Good for you! And sister was feeling pretty good yesterday, but she is one sick puppy today. I called her earlier and she is in the bed with a stuffed up head and sore body. She sounds absolutely awful. So, maybe her body was just letting her know this past week that it was about to go south on her. Her plan for the day was sleeping.

MicheleZ: I think we all know what it feels like to have some kind of bug that just won' let go. Tricks you into thinking that you are almost 100 percent and then sneaks back up on you. It stinks and I'd be frustrated too. You need to do whatever it takes to kick it for good. Don't worry if you miss the exercise for a few days. When you feel al better, just think how you'll be able to really attack your workout. Let me know if the stretching helps. We all have a tendency NOT to stretch as much as we should and our bodies need that rejuvenation.

Hi to everyone else: Shadowpup, Shoegal, Laura, Elle, and my poor sickface sister.
~Michelle

Just got back from the movies and now I'm having a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon. Yesterday I did Ali MacGraw's Mind & Body. I really like the music in that one... a lot of it is taken from Dead Can Dance's "Into the Labrynth". Interesting choice for a yoga DVD but it works!

Janie: I've never sold or purchased anything on Ebay but good luck selling your jewelry. It's very pretty!
As for your challenge, I think you have done great, but if you're not having fun with it don't force it, do what you enjoy.

MicheleZ: I really hope you can get over whatever it is that's zapping your energy. Do you take vitamins? Maybe you are lacking something which is why you are feeling run down.

Renee: Sorry to hear you had a tough week. I hope this week is better.

Michele: Thanks for sending me sunshine. Truthfully, this winter hasn't been too bad at all, but I am looking forward to spring.

Hello to Laura, Shoegal, & Shadowpup!

Spring preview weather today in Virginia. Sunshine this morning, thunderstorms expected this afternoon. I just hope the electricity doesn't go out here at work. Have too much to do--

Ripken and I had a great walkabout this morning. A little April shower (in Feb) and the smell of spring in the air. Followed by the step portion of Intensity--ohmygoodness! I'm so not familiar with this routine--guess that's what the mind and the body needs. I'm sticking to my "more intense" cardio resolve although I'm going to take a look at Cathe's March rotation once she gets it posted. I've got to get back to doing the rotations, keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Okay--back to work. Wish everyone a great day.
~michelle

Sidelined! I have the flu. Yesterday I spent from 11:30 until this morning, mostly in bed. Did I feel awful. Went to the doctor this morning...yep, its the flu. I got the flu shot back in November, and I do everything "right". So, it goes to show ya', you can still get it. Haven't exercised since Saturday. Doctor wants me to stay home thru Wednesday. I'm in the contagious mode...this blows backwards. (sucks) Hope nobody else gets this little "pleasure".

~Renee

Did TBS, abs from Abs Hit and stretches. About an hour. Will be doing the Challenges in a few hours. I need breakfast first. Yeah! Can't believe how easy the push ups were. OMG! Also had to add more heavy weight to the exercises. Love it when you can actually tell that you are stronger.:eek: I sure did miss my Joey, and now it's perfect.:) Still can't make it out of our driveway. The snow is so slushy and slippery. Joey will be going out on errands Thurs. and that's most likely when the mail will go out.

MicheleZ, I think you need a roller. It hurts so good! But, it's so worth it. Will knock out that back ache in no time at all. I hope you feel better soon. Spring is coming and that is something to look forward to. Nice long walks, fresh air, feeling well... Pills sometimes do have a side effect. But if there is a bacteria or infection, antibiotics is needed. Keep us posted on how you feel, and like you said, if you don't feel any better by Wed., do see a doctor.:(

Michelle, Spring clearing already? Wow, that is an incentive to go outside. Great job on S&H Chest and Back. If you come back later today or early enough tomorrow, let me know which cardio you chose and I'll do it with you.:) I'm up for a long and tough cardio.

Elle, Love Ali's yoga practice. Well done. Thank you for your encouragement.

Michelle, Our weather is rain, snow and rain, for about a week or more.:( Great job the walkabout with Ripken. Also the step portion of Intensity. I'm always watching for her rotations. Every now and then, it's a must to do. When my challenges are over, if they ever are, will hope to do another one.

Renee, From what I here, flu shots only lasts 3-4 months. You poor thing. I wish the best for your recovery, I know it's got to be frustrating. Hang in there kiddo.:( (((((hugs))))).

More to come later,

Janie

Howdy!

I had a nice walk with Misty this morning, it was a nice day & warm (for here anyways, but not quite like Virginia's weather). I drove into town so we could walk along the Moffat Tunnel Rd which is mostly clear of ice & snow.

Than I taught my Intermediate Pilates Class & Boot Camp Class so I am good & beat now! Yesterday I did STS Meso Cycle 1 Week 3 Legs & man oh man my hammies are sure tight today! Than I helped my friend move. ( I don't know if y'all remember my good friend who's husband is a bi -polar alcoholic that I have mentioned over the past few years...well she is finally leaving him!!)

Michelle: welcome home! Sounds like a great vacation& you were good about getting your exercises in! I think it is always good to work with a trainer now & again to get feedback on your form, speaking from experience people develop their sense of center around their issues so that what actually feels like center or alignment actually isn't & often when I align peoples bodies they can believe that is actually centered because to them it feels "off" as they are used to their poetical habits. That being said I wouldn't worry to much about what he said about kicking your exercise up a notch!! I mean really.. But hey it seems to have inspired you & that's cool! Enjoy the weather

MichelleZ: hmmm that is frustrating!! Hope you get better soon & let us know what the Doc says on Wed, & don't worry about the exercise it will be there when you are ready!

Renee: Ugh! The flu makes you feel blue!! I know what you mean about feeling stronger after a rest day... Week before last I had a few rest days, mostly circumstantial, but my legs were so strong on those ski days & hardly ever felt them burning like they do if I ski & work them out! It was awesome! I guess it is finding that fine balance between rest & work that the magic happens!

ElleP: I really like how tuned in to your body lately, listening to what it wants & honoring it! I so need to find a way to get sone yoga in, but right now it feels like the one more thing that makes it to much... Unless I could find a really gentle yoga class...

Janie: I love your earings & would love a pair of them if it isn't to late! Your so creative! I think it is a good idea to mix up your challenge! You've done so well & I know what it is like to miss your other workouts!

Where are our dear friends shoegal & shadow pup, missing their posts!

Renee - blegh - so sorry to hear you have the flu! Get lots of rest and take care of yourself.

I feel loads better today!!! I already felt much better yesterday. Yes, I take all sorts of supplementals. I just bought an adrenal support supplemental at Whole Foods on Sunday to see if that raises my energy levels. It is herbs only - no bovine products. Someone on this board recommended them and they get great reviews.

Janie - funny you mention the roller. I just got mine yesterday :p. My back already feels a lot better but I know right now I am not going to do any more ITB band rolls. It is too painful and I actually feel bruised right now which I don't think is the idea. I didn't roll very much either. I might do them against the wall where I can apply much lighter pressure. I plan on using it for my main muscles - calves, hamstrings, quads, butt and back.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day - Renee - I hope you have a restful day!

Yesterdays, Challenges: Push Ups on Toes 60 sec. between sets: 9, 11, 6.5 8. I tried one more time to get 8 instead of 6.5 on this set and this time I did. The last set was a max. of 11. I think I might have pulled my left shoulder trying so hard. We'll see how it goes, will take some anti inflammatory pills.:( Pull Ups 60 sec. between sets: 7 Assisted, 7 Australian, 6 Assisted, 6 Australian and 1 hang. Used foam roller on my shoulder and all over. Felt really good. Will do it again tomorrow especially on that shoulder.

Today I did Power Max. Oh, how I missed that one. So much fun, and it keeps going and going.

Laura, Great job on your walk with Misty, your Pilates class and Boot Camp. I would beat too, well done.:) Also a great job yesterday for doing Meso 1 week 3 legs. That is good news for your friend and it was really caring of you to help her move. Now, she can live such a better life. I'm wondering what happen to shoegal and shadow pup too. Jeesh! I miss them so much! And they missed a pair of earrings to boot.:(

MicheleZ, Isn't great to feel better?!? I'm so happy for ya. Try not to give up on torturing your IT band so quickly. It really helps, I know it hurts, but it will get better the more you do it. It won't always hurt that bad. Your plan against the wall might work until you can adjust to it. From 1-10, 10 being very hurtful, try for 6 - 8. I know, but that's what they do in therapy, at least that's what I've been reading.

Have a nice day everyone,

Janie

Yesterday was Slow and Heavy Legs and Shoulders; this morning: step blast. For the first time in a long time, I felt like I was doing the static lunges correctly yesterday. I hate static lunges and always feel like I'm off when I do them--so it was nice to feel like my form was good on those. I have to admit my legs are really feeling this kicked up intensity on the cardio. I substituted Step Blast for an IMAX this morning. Felt like I needed to do a routine that I'm familiar with but is still tough--the challenge with those blasts always get me in super huff-n-puff mode. I really pushed it this morning and it felt super good.:)

MicheleZ: happy to hear that you are feeling better. Sounds like you are getting back to your more intense workouts--but do watch your back. It's amazing how a minor back twinge can really put a cramp on everyday living, not to mention your workout.

Laura: great to hear from you. We've been missing you, Shoegal, and Shadowpup. How far do you live from Colorado Springs. There is a conference coming up in early may in Colorado Springs and I'm toying with the idea of attending--particularly if I can arrange some time to meet another one of our group in-person!

Janie: I hope you didn't hurt your shoulder. But it sounds like you are doing great...exercise with Joey and then adding your challenge work. Love Power Max!

Hi to everyone else: Elle, Shoegal, Shadowpup, and Sister.
~michelle

Did 3 mile walk/run with Grady. He was happy to be able to do his trotting pace when I ran. When I walk, he has to walk which isn't as smooth for him as trotting. I most certainly have improved since I tried to walk/run 3 miles about 3 months ago - the difference was amazing. I wasn't panting and my legs were not screaming :p. I then came home and did Biceps/Triceps from 4DS.

I am seriously amazed at how flipping FAST that foam roller has eliminated my back pain! I have only rolled for about 5 minutes over the last couple of days and my back pain is GONE. Also, rolling on the back feels GOOD - not like rolling the ITB band. It felt good to roll my butt after yesterday's lower body work :eek:.

I don't know how anybody can exercise when they have the flu. I sure as heck can't. I have no energy and would probably pass out within seconds. OK, its the 4th day of this junk, and I am improving. I managed to practice about 10 minutes of some karate today. Easy walk throughs, no impact or strain. Making sure I have Universal 4 and 5 down for the tournament in just 10 days. I am SO not ready for it, but Master Alley is going to give me a couple of private lessons to make sure my form and fluidity from move to move in the divisions I'm competing in are there. He is convinced I will do great. Me, on the other hand, am not so convinced and want to skip the whole thing. I am hoping to go back on Saturday and resume Cathe either Saturday or Sunday. I have the last two disc's of meso 2 to do. Then I may just jump into that active recovery week and concentrate on cardio endurance, stretching and of course karate.

I am bored out of my mind. Haven't been to school all week. Won't go tomorrow and the whole county is off for "winter holiday" on Friday. I caught up on some shows I DVR'd. I do have some movies to watch, but its hard to concentrate on anything for very long when you don't feel good. I know I must sound like a whiny baby, and for that I apologize. I hate sitting on my butt for so long. SCREAM!

Well, that's all for now. Hope everybody is doing better then I am. I am sure you are. Anything would be better then my peezy self.

OK, enough. Take care...
~Renee

Renee - when you have the flu you are suppose to sit on your butt! :p When I get the flu (which isn't often), I basically go to bed until I feel better which might take several days. I sleep A LOT and that usually helps me recover quicker. On the other hand, when I get the flu, sleeping is about all I am capable of doing (lol).

Did TBS with Joey using heavy weight. Added on stretches, and abs. Couldn't us as heavy weight as the last workout. Hmmmmmm.:(

Challenges today are the same as last time. I don't feel strong today for some reason. Push Ups on Toes: Always with perfect form, with 60 sec. between sets: 9, 11, 8, 8 and 11 max. Couldn't do anymore and boy was it tough. My shoulder is good. Thanks to the foam roller. Pull Ups with 60 sec. between sets: 7 Assisted, 7 Australian, 6 Assisted, 6 Australian, 1 hang. Didn't have any umph left for baby pull ups.

My shoulder is doing just fine, thanks to the foam roller.:)

MicheleZ, You are doing so well with your exercises. Great job on 4DS Kickbox/legs

Michelle, Great job on yesterday with S&H Legs and shoulders and today's Step Blast and IMAX this morning. Wow, that's impressive.:D

MicheleZ
, Great job on your 3 mile walk/run with Grady. I bet he was happy. Also on the 4DS Biceps/Triceps. Up to 3 miles already, bet you are proud. Well, I am of you.;) I have to agree using the roller is amazing. It works! I used it on my back today, since the abs work gave me a little back ache. Now the ache is gone. Very worth investing in.

Renee, People die of the flu, your body needs as much rest as you can give it. If you're not careful you may have a relapse. Let your body heal. Of course you know how to read your body better than me, I guess I just want you to listen to it. We care about you, and want you to feel better quickly. Patting you on the shoulder. We've all been there. Something you have to go through to get better. Drink lots of liquids, and if you can possibly get a hold of elderberry juice, let someone go to the health food store to pick you up some. It truly helps a lot. It's been scientifically proven to help a few stains of the virus, unfortunately not all of them. It does taste good though. Hope you find some, if not, stock up on that tea or juice for the next time a cold, flu...hits.

Take care everyone,

Janie

Last edited:
Just to let you ladies know (again) - while I don't comment on everyone's posts, I am reading them and all of you are most certainly motivating me. I do feel like a part of this little group and it feels good :).

I am pretty sore in my biceps/triceps today - used the roller to work it out - feels SO good. My legs are much less sore today due to the roller. That little piece of hard styrofoam is a minor miracle.

Think I am taking a break today - might take a walk with Grady but nothing else really.

Oh yea, I ordered the STS series (40 DVDs) - the sale price was great. While I was at it, I had to order a bunch of other DVDs I wanted due to her great sales and of course, on several times my price went DOWN when I added a DVD because of the mutliple DVD discounts. Below is the list:

STS 40 DVD Discount Bundle (includes optional Squat DVDs)+ STS Users' Guide
Low Impact Circuit DVD
The Classics Volume 1 DVD
Cardio Fusion DVD
High Step Training DVD
Low Impact Step + Total Body Sculpting DVD
High Step Circuit DVD

Day 5 of the FLU and I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. I even did a short "Cathe" today...Basic Step. It was just enough. Allowed me to sweat a little, get my heart rate up (that was real easy) and MOVE! I am so tempted to do one of my STS meso 2 disc's I have left, but I am going to say "good job, don't over do it!" Perhaps tomorrow I will attempt one of those disc's. But it was good to move again. I also worked on Universal 4 and 5 with more impact then yesterdays walk thru. I dreamt about it all night long, so, it was imperative that I do it. The only thing I wouldn't do is the front left shoulder roll into a kneelling right reverse punch. I will probably review it intermintedly throughout the day.

MicheleZ, looks like you've got some fantastic dvd's coming your way! I have all those, Cardio Fusion and High Step Training are the hardest of the bunch. Well, that's my opinion. I love Low Impact Circuit. It has a cardio premix that I love! LIC is not easy, but it is lots and lots of fun!

Hope everyone is doing A-OK!

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances.
Benjamin Franklin

~Renee

This morning Ripken and I had a nice long walk--a little longer than usual. The pup really wanted to walk this morning. Then I did S&H triceps, biceps, and abs. Always happy when that last barbell curl is done.

MicheleZ: okay--my interest is peaked. What is this roller thingy; what is it's official brand name, and where can I get one? And I echo sister's comment on all those great dvds that you've ordered. You are going to have lots of fun.

Janie: I got out my yoga block the other day when I did pushups. I never know how far down to go--very helpful tip--makes the pushup much more challenging. Thanks for passing along the information.

Hi to everyone else: sister, Shoegal, Shadowpup, and Laura.
~michelle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.