Getting Our Licks In!

Renee, Now you know where you stand today with your Karate. I can't wait for your results later down the road. This is very impressive. I knew you would do well.;)

Michelle, My book is nearly done, then to try to convince a publisher. I do still make soap, and always will. I let you know when I get that far. Great job on Slow and Heavy Chest and Back. Good choice of workout, getting home from a vacation. Tell Joe I hope he feels better soon. That is a lot of weight to lose so quickly. Wow! I love buying jewelry from places we travel to. I always seem to purchase unusual and original pieces. I've never sold any jewelry. I make them for Christmas or birthdays though. I've retired, so I'm doing it for fun. I had to laugh at the Mastiff, because, I splashed some water over the tub, and she jumped at it in joy. It was so funny and scary at the same time, because when she wanted more she would bark. That bark! So deep, so loud, made me nervous to play anymore. I'll get use to it, I hope. I told her she can leave now, but she wouldn't, she wanted more petting.:D

Janie

Hi all, was just checking in, between heading from here and there, and wanted to say quickly -

GORGEOUS jewelry Janie!!! and sorry about the bad dreams :(

Michelle, sounds like you have also been on the road. Welcome back!

Renee, you are making us proud in your karate tests - fun to see how well you did so far in advance of your bb training.

MicheleZ, read the comment you mentioned and you weren't unkind at all. Nothing wrong with thinking about what will go well if you do a behavior AND what will not be as good if you stop!!! That's how I read your note.

Shoegal, I kind of like snow when it is light because the dogs are not as muddy and slush is not as pretty as the nice white landscape. Good thing as we just got more

Elle, sounds like you had a scary accident somewhere. Hope you are doing okay.

Laura, didn't see your posts on this page but I hope all is well in yhour world. Is the snow melting in your area?

"Renee, you are making us proud in your karate tests - fun to see how well you did so far in advance of your bb training."

ShadowPup, thanks, I needed to hear that. I'm feeling physically and mentally drained and a bit down on myself. I have such high expectations for myself and have worked really hard. I know that my score was "passable" and I guess secretly I was expecting more of myself. But, in reality, my first test was just a benchmark to help me gauge where I need to go and what areas to improve on. There is still so much more to learn, and I wonder if I'll be able to remember it all. (sigh) I have a poster in my classroom that says "For success, attitude is as important as ability." And "Make an effort, not an excuse." Yep thats me! But even I have a "downer" day once in a while.

I did LowMax premix intervals 1-4 yesterday and segment 1 of Total Body Stretching. The step felt good but the stretching just about killed me. I didn't double it up like I usually do. Only karate today, and will do STS 20, Legs tomorrow.

Training for my next tournament which is March 12th. So, I really feel like I need to up it another notch. (sigh) I'll be doing 4 divisions: sparring, board breaking, self defense grab holds and forms/universals. Good grief. I mean...TOWANDA!

Everybody, keep on keepin on...whats the alternative?!? No giving up, right?

~Renee

Happy Presidents' Day. Enjoying a nice quiet day of work, exercise, and more work at home. Ripken and I had a nice walk this morning. It was 54 degrees with a little breeze. I'll take a morning walk in that kind of weather in February anyday. Worked a little this morning then decided to do a premix from IMAX2: Blast Mania. I don't know why--I was just gravitating toward an IMAX workout and thought what the heck I'll give this premix on IMAX2 a try. I don't know what I was thinking and I sure didn't know what to expect. The premix included the warmup, the first interval, all the blasts, and then the cool down and stretch. All I can say is "oh boy--not really easier than doing the whole IMAX2." I feel like I'm needing to kick my cardio up a notch so it might be an IMAX/Intensity kind of week. We'll see how it goes.

Janie: The bull mastiff sounds like she just wants some attention and to play. I wonder how much time her owner really spends with her. When Ripken and I walk and we go past a house with a dog in the backyard that barks, I wonder how much of the barking is the dog being protective and how much is the dog being jealous because he/she is not getting walked by his/her owner.

Shadowpup: Nice to hear from you. You guys sure are getting the winter weather out west this year. When are you coming east again?

Catchick/Sister: jeez, don't be so hard on yourself. You passed the test the first time around. Okay--not with flying colors but I bet alot of people don't pass the first time. I know you were disappointed about the kicks--did Master Ally give you pointers on what you need to focus on to improve your form? I can sympathize with how you feel because I felt a bit dejected in Jamaica when the resort fitness pro told me I needed to spend to some time with a personal trainer to address some "bad habits" on some of my weight training exercises. He also told me I need to kick my exercise up a notch and mix up my training routines. I'm thinking: geez, you're kidding right? But nope--not kidding. So, I'm going to schedule some time with a girlfriend who is a personal trainer and get back into doing the monthly Cathe rotations vice doing what I want/feel like doing. Sometimes we all need something/someone to push us a little harder. You can do it.:p

~michelle

Janie - I just love your paper bead jewelry - so beautiful! You have also written a book? Well you certainly are not taking retirement as an excuse to watch TV all day (lol)! Good for you :D.

Shadowpup - thank you also for the support. That was exactly how I meant it to be interpreted.

Didn't do anything yesterday, had to have our septic tank pumped. What joy. We have lived here for over 10 years and didn't have any problem until the weekend. They had to use special equipment to find the tank because no one really knew where it was (lol). Anyway, we are all set for at least 3 years now (lol).

Going to do one of the 4DS workouts today.

I was wondering why I'm still on top of the push ups, don't get me wrong, I'm barely making them by the skin of my teeth, but...How come you guys are so much younger than me and sometimes just can't pull off that last one? I thought I must be doing something wrong. Went on the internet and found out something.:eek::(:eek: When I do my push ups, (I measured) it takes two yoga blocks or 6 inches from the ground, then I do them as fast as I can. Not a complete push up if you ask me. Tomorrow I will retest myself and put one block on the ground to remind me that's how far I have to go before I can go back up. I've been such an idiot thinking I could be that good. Challenges: Even though I did the push ups the wrong way the real truth comes out tomorrow. Incomplete Push ups on toes with 60 sec. between sets: 40, 50, 25, 25, and 50.:eek: Preparing Pull Ups 60 sec. between sets: Assisted 7, Australian 7, Assisted 6, Australian 6 and one hang. Also did the baby pull ups. These are making things happen just a little more. Also did my weight training for the rest of my body. Had to use the Smith Machine (Home Gym) for my quads and hamstrings. I'm still motivated to continue because of all of you. You are my inspirations.:)

Debroah, So good to hear from you. Tell us what you have been doing. Need a catch up. Are you still working out. I have in front of me your wonderful Christmas card you sent me. I love your fabulous place with acres upon acres of land with the snow. Of course your wonderful animals, the dogie with orange eyes, and another dog that is black and graying. Like myself, lol. Your beautiful calico cat and your chestnut horse with a whit spot on the forehead. What a beautify place to come home to, after being gone from business trips. It must be pure heaven.

Renee, Great job on LM 1-4 and segment 1 of Total Body Stretching. Have fun with your Karate class today. You have a lot to accomplish for your next tournament in March. You'll do it, I know you have it in you.

Michelle, 54 degrees weather is really nice to walk in. Great job on IMAX2 blast mania. I also need to get my cardio going. Haven't done one for awhile.:( About the neighbor dogs, I think they aren't getting the attention they deserve either. Poor things.

MicheleZ, Thank you for your encouragement. I'll be done with the book before to long. We had our septic tank pumped before too, not fun at all. I'm glad it's all over and done with for awhile. Enjoy 4DS today.

This is what I said to my other group and wanted to extend it to all of you as well:

I've been thinking that I would love to make each of you a piece of jewelry, but would need what colors you like and what style you like to wear. If you would want beads, or paper beads. Let me know (really) and I'll make them. Should I give them to you as they are done, or wait until Christmas to give them to you all at once? Up to you.

Here is a picture of the beads I have on hand: Just an idea, (if you like paper beads) what they look like.

395305298.jpg

The bowl goes deeper than you think and so you can't see all the ones underneath, but I think you get the idea.

You all are very special to me and inspire me to continue on my journey. Just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Janie

Last edited:
Did Athletic Step - man for some reason that kicked my butt. Granted, I just recently started putting a set of risers under my step so I am sure that had something to do with it :p. I am working my way through each and every Cathe workout that I have. Once I have completed them all, I will work through them again - sometimes repeating some but always working towards doing every workout.

Janie - well I won't lie to you, I would LOVE some earrings but don't want you to feel obligated to make me some - to answer your question, I would like something with lots of different colors which seems pretty easy to accomplish with paper beads :). I like the dangly type of earrings like the ones on the far right in your last picture (previous post).

Did the Push Up test today and am qualified for Week 3 column 1. I will be doing that one today, tomorrow and starting Mon. for a fresh week. Today's Challenge: Push Up On Toes with 60 sec. between sets: 10, 12, 7, 7, and 5. I thought this was hard before, but having that yoga block under me, it's even harder! Pre Pull Ups with 60 sec. between sets: 7 Assisted, 7 Australian, 6 Assisted, 6 Australian 3 baby pull ups and 1 hang. Also did heavy weight on quads, hamstrings and inner and out thighs, then triceps, shoulders and biceps. Glad that's done! Whew!

MicheleZ, Great job on Athletic Step. Oh yes, putting a riser under the step will make it much more difficult. Well done! I've made your earrings. Our weather is snow, all over the Pac. NW. Can't go anywhere, so decided to make your gift. I'm just waiting for the snow to melt before I can send them to you. They are not the earrings you saw in the photo, but they are certainly similar with lots of different colors. PM me your address and will send them out after the snow melts. I hope you enjoy them.

Janie

Last edited:
Janie - wow that was fast :D. Thank you so much! Will send you my address.

Going to do the 4DS premix "Total Body Weights" today from the Bootcamp/Kickbox.

Hi Everyone!
Great news! My car is fixed so I'm going to try and pick it up this afternoon.:) There was $6000.00 in damage but the guy at Honda said it's as good as new.

I've been doing Shiva Rea's Daily Energy for the last couple of weeks. I have been mixing and matching my own practices using the Yoga Matrix which I love.

MicheleZ: Your bike is HOT! I love bikes. I had my learner's permit but it expired and I have since reconsidered getting my M licence. It's really dangerous to ride here in Toronto and my ex husband got the bike in the separation (Suzuki GSXR).

Renee: Don't get down on yourself! You are doing great with your Karate! I'm sure the next time you do the test, you will see a big improvement. Remind yourself how far you have come since you started. Congrats on the purple belt.

Michelle: Glad you had a great holiday! I think sometimes we need to take classes or work with a trainer to make corrections and point out bad habits we might not be aware of. I find it hard to believe you need to kick it up a notch though! Who was your trainer? Rambo?

Janie: You are doing great with your pushups! They are hard so even if you are doing half pushups, that's more than a lot of people can do.
Your jewelry is so pretty! You are quite talented! I would love any of them but like MicheleZ said, I don't want you to feel obligated to make anything. I think the dangly multicolour pieces are so fun! They would be really nice in the summer.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited:
Elle, That is so expensive to get a car fixed. So glad it's as good as new and safe.:) Great job on Shiva's yoga. Darn, I need to do some yoga! I'm now doing push ups the correct way. Yeah! They are truly hard, but well worth the effort. You say you like dangly multicolor, but do you want beautiful beads from the store or do you want paper beads from me? LOL That sounds funny.:D

MicheleZ, here is a picture of your earrings.

395338218.jpg

Janie

Last edited:
Janie Those are beautiful! I am going to wear them often and think of you every time!

Elle - well if one can't be hot they can at least ride a hot bike :eek:. Too bad about the ex getting the bike. I don't think I would want to ride around in Toronto either though....

Going to confess that I didn't workout today. I don't understand it but I felt "off" today. Yesterday I was unusually tired during my workout - had to take several breaks and I have done that workout before and didn't feel that tired. I was really fatigued for the rest of the day which isn't normal. Also, my lower back is aching which I think is a sign of a possible cold trying to take hold. I am still taking antibiotics so I don't think it is a sinus infection - don't have any drainage either. I ended up taking a 2 hour nap which helped. I seriously don't get it because except for the sinus infections, I rarely get sick. I can't blame it on working out too much because I have only been working out 4-5 days per week and never felt fatigued due to it so I don't think that is the problem. Hopefully when winter is over this crap will stop.

I think I am going to try to trudge on through it and workout tomorrow even if I feel off. I usually don't workout when I am not feeling good but I know that unless one has a fever, it doesn't hurt to workout.

So, that is the end of my whine...can I have some cheese please? :p

Hi everyone!

I have been having a wonderful winter break with the girls! On Monday, President's Day, we were all psyched to go hit the mountain, but after one delay & mishap after another, we finally get up there & it was miserably cold17* & with SERIOUS winds! The car was rocking in the wind while parked. So we decided 'Nah, not worth it,". So we decided to go X-Country back at our house where even though it was cold at least the sun was out & there was no wind, we had to stop in town to rent gear as the girls had out grown their old gear. So we actually hadn't gone X-Country yet this year. Sophia had been asking to go for awhile. In the 1st 2 min. Sophia said "This is so awesome! I can't believe we don't do it everyday!!! I want to do this EVERY day!". 5 minutes after that she said " Phew, Oh Man, I am so out of shape!". It was so cute!! Granted we live at 9,500 feet & from our house you start by going straight up hill!

Tuesday I taught Beginner Pilates & then took the girls skiing down hill at the mountain & it was a beautiful day, sunny & in the high 30*'s. We had a great time together & the girls really found their grove.

Wednesday we skied again & even a prettier day! It must have hit the low 40*'s and hardly anyone on the slopes. As we were skiing off at the end of the day both girls were disappointed that we had to go & didn't want to stop. There is one steep, steep black diamond that can get you off the mountain & the two blues we usually take. Well Eliza, who had a stellar day skiing, decided she wanted to take the black, and she did it so beautifully!! Completely in control & tight little turns!! She was so excited about it she kept saying " I conquered my fear of steepness, I conquered my fear of steepness!" I was, needless to say, such a proud momma!

That night I taught a weight lifting class, and then decided I really needed to squeeze in as much as I could of my STS workout cause I have been falling behind! I didn't do any of the band work which I figured I could make up later but got through the majority of the back & tricep work! Needless to say I was beat!

Today I skied again, this time Bo was able to join us. Conditions were colder & we had a little wind & snow but not to bad. It was nice for him to get out there! Man is he fast though!!

So finally in the winter sport grove!!

I read all the post & it was nice to hear from everyone! I will try & come back for personals, but have to get those red heads to bed! They have horseback riding camp early in the am!!

Quick P.S

Eliza kept saying that this summer we need to make sure we hike & bike more than we did last summer so we can hit the slopes in "better condition" than we started off this year! Don't you just love that?!

Yesterday I did Shiva Rea's beginner flow sequences 1-3 for a nice relaxing practice. I picked up my car and it looks great! In addition to fixing the back, they also fixed some stone chips I had on my hood which really annoyed me. That was a nice bonus!:D

It's starting to snow here and we are expecting around 10cm today. Yuck!

Janie: I think all of your beads are pretty, so you can surprise me and i'm sure I will like whatever you make.:)

MicheleZ: I hope you don't get sick again. :( Take care of yourself! Cathe herself has said in the past to take it easy on days when you feel "you just can't do this". It has taken me a long time to give myself permission to do shorter workouts and listen to myself. Now, I do what I feel like. Lately, all i've been doing is yoga and I feel great and have made more progress than when I was forcing myself to fit everything else in. There have been days when I feel tired and tempted to skip a day, but I've learned to just do a shorter, less challenging practice on those days.

Laura: It's great that you and your family enjoy the winter so much! I'm so happy that Eliza has conquered her fears. She must be so happy about that!

Hi to Renee, Shadowpup, and Michelle!

Wow--we are getting a thunderstorm at my house right now. It's about 65 degrees and the sky was clear blue and the sun was shining and now it is pouring rain and thundering. Ripken doesn't like thunder so he is almost in my lap and doing his nervous huff-n-puff.

Have been real busy this week, but have been getting those workouts in. So, after getting over my bruised ego wrt to resort fitness pro telling to kick up and mix up my excercise, I am doing just that. Specifically, with my cardio. I'm focusing on doing those cardio workouts I typically stay away from because they are so intense and hard. Which ones are those? IMAX, IMAX2, IMAX3, Intensity, HIIT 40/20, and MIC--to name a few. I did IMAX3 intervals 1-5 the other day and just about dropped. I don't know the routine so I have to really concentrate and it is extremely intense. I'm going to work on becoming more familiar with the IMAX routines and my ability to endure them, and mix in those weight workouts I haven't done in a while. Should help to kick things up.

Well, Mr. Blue Sky is returning and the rain is letting up. But Ripken is milking this for all it's worth.

Be back later for personals.
~michelle

Wanted to respond to personals and will post later on my challenges.

Will send the gifts out in the next couple of days. It's still so much snow on the ground, I would say at least 5-6 inches. People have been telling me to sell my jewelry, so, I decided to put up a set on EBay to see how they will do. I'm thinking it won't sell, but at least I'm trying it out. If you want to look at the set with an anemone ring included, here it is. Just sharing, not selling on Cathe's site at all. Jewelry set, includes large anemone ring, crystal beads

Would like to hear suggestions, if you have time.

MicheleZ, I'm glad you like the gift. I think you deserve a rest day. Hope you are not coming down with something.

Laura, I understand that sometimes when you go skiing that the conditions can be less than favorable. At least you tried. I bet the alternative was fun. Sophia is so cute. Great job on Tues. and Wed. classes and down hill skiing with the girls and Eliza. Talk about fun!:D Also doing part of STS workout. And today's ski trip with Bo.:eek:

Elle, Great job with Shiva. I need reminders to do yoga, perhaps soon? Ok then, I'll surprise you. They will be in the mail in a couple of days or so.;)

Michelle, Poor Ripken, I guess most dogs don't like loud storms. I think your plan using IMAX workouts will be good for you.

Take care everyone. Oh, I'm preparing dough to bake bread tomorrow. Should have 6 mini loaves and 4 large loaves ready by then.:eek:

Janie

Last edited:
Today's challenges: Had to go back to week two of the last day. I'm getting discouraged:(. My form was perfection, used block to remind me to go lower, and did them slowly. I couldn't do them fast at all! I have DOMS from the last workouts. Push Ups on toes, 60 sec.between sets: 5, 7, 5, 5 and maxed out at 8. Pre Pull-Ups 60 sec. between sets: 7 Assisted, 7 Australian, 6 Assisted, 6 Australian, and one hang. Also did 3 baby pull ups. Also did the heavy weight lifting for the rest of my muscles that were not worked by the challenges.

This means I will most likely have to keep going for more than 4 weeks. Wondering if I should bail out? I'm missing my exercises with my Joey and Cathe and other instructor. I told Joey it would only be for 6 weeks and it's gone beyond that. Will think about this during the weekend.

Janie

Last edited:
Janie - it might be good to give it a rest and do the exercises with Joey and Cathe that you are missing and come back later and hit it again when you feel refreshed and ready for it.

Janie, I think you are doing a great job with your challenges. And, yeah, you probably ought to just give it a break and do some exercising with Joey and Cathe. I have been having major difficulties myself, pushing myself very hard, not taking the necessary rest...but finally, yesterday, NO EXERCISE! It is amazing how much better I feel today. I went to karate...two classes, regular basics and then sparring and I didn't feel at all discouraged or down on myself. Later I will start the last week of meso 2! Hooray! This last week of lifting has been such a chore. I wasn't enjoying any of it! And when I say any of it, that includes everything: karate, lifting, cardio...NOTHING. My attitude at school really stunk too. Its hard for me to "back off" but its what was really needed. So, Janie, just take it easy. Or do something you want to do with Joey. You'll feel better in the long run.

Laura, I don't know how you do all the stuff you do. You amaze me!

Well, I'm gonna go put my feet up for a while before I tackle disc 22: chest, shoulders and tri's.

~Renee~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.