Getting Our Licks In!

We are having a lovely reprieve from the heat and humidity again. It's Monday, and both Ripken and I have issues with getting in a long walk on Monday mornings so we did our medium walk. It's not that we don't get up at the regular time of 5:30, we just feel lazy. Tomorrow morning we will be back in the long walk groove. Of course, I didn't get to feel lazy too long this morning because I had CardioKicks to tackle. Fun workout. I didn't get to preview before my first try, but it was easy to follow. Thumbs up on this one for those who have not tried it.

Shadowpup: so good to hear from you. Flying out of Dulles and not BWI? Huh? Aren't you closer to BWI? Either way, it is great to hear from you again. Why am I not surprised that you have already been adopted by a stray cat? Too funny. I'm glad to hear that you are getting back to working out. Your schedule sure has taken a beating this year.

Janie: I think that I did step heat a few weeks ago. That's a fun workout; somehow I don't do that one very much. Sister and I tend to do StepJam vice Step Heat. Didn't get a chance to talk to sister this weekend. I might try to call her this evening to see how the first day of school with the children went.

Happy Monday to all.
~michelle

So how did it get to be Monday again? I had a wedding this weekend which had events from dawn to dusk so I didn't get any exercise in, but lots of eating & drinking!

I did a short walk with Misty today, only 25 minutes or so, she is getting better each time! Tonight is Pilates & Boot Camp, feeling lethargic from the weekend so wish me luck.

Michelle: I walk like you do! Well we are still up & moving right? Plus it has huge stress release benefits fir me. I really like the 4 DS series, I often do the step routines when I am short on time or energy for a longer workout.

Janie: sounds like you handled yourself well in a charged circumstance good job!,

Did High Step Training today. It rained so hard I couldn't take Rolly out for a walk.

Michelle, So glad your weather is nice for you. Great job on the med. walk with Ripken, and Cardio Kicks.

Laura, It's nice to have weekends full of fun. Good for you. Great job on the short walk with Misty.

Have a good one everyone.

Janie

It was actually cool here this morning and I needed a light jacket for the morning walkabout with Ripken. Of course, he was loving the cooler weather so we took a long walk (an hour) and really enjoyed it. After the walkabout, I did muscle max. My glutes and hammies are feeling the joy from plyo legs on Sunday so the leg sets were challenging this morning. I made it through the static lunges and was oh so happy when they were over. I upped my weight amounts on a few of the upper body exercises and I will need to note that on my MM spreadsheet.

Laura: I firmly believe that puppy/dog walks are something we should relish, no matter how long the walk is. My walk with Ripken in the morning helps me work the kinks out and get moving. Don't know what I would do without the walkabouts. Ah the memories of the true puppy walks. They just want to be all over the place. I thought I would never get Ripken to walk like a good boy on his leash. Now, it is so easy and he is so good--but he is 10 years old and it should be so, yes? BTW, Sister is going to be taking up pilates per her ortho surgeon's direction to increase her flexibility.

Janie: so disappointing you did not get to walk Rolly. Darn that rain. We are keeping our eye on Irene--I hope she stays out to sea and doesn't complicate the weekend.

~michelle

Did Athletic Step and walked Rolly for 30 min.

Michelle, I bet Ripken loved the hour walk. Good for you both. Also great job on MM. Again you are improving, way to go! I worry about you and Irene over there. I saw on the news that Irene will hit Virgina, please protect yourselves. I think by the time she hits you, most of her winds won't be as strong. Please be safe.

Janie

Last edited:
Yesterday I taught Pilates, then I went to a friends and we did a Zumba tape, which was lots of fun and I did break out into a decent sweat. And then I went home and did the Timesaver Butts & Gutts Premix minus the ab work because my abs were really sore from my Monday classes.

Michelle: I know I feel that way about Misty right now, that she will never behave on the leash! But she has already gotten so much better. Great workouts! I wonder what Renee will think about the Pilates!

Janie: ah to bad about the rain. My mom went back to Whidbey Island a few weeks ago to deal with some issues with her house. She said it was grey and cold. I think she said the temperatures were only in the 50's!

Today was ME and walked Rolly for 30 min. Whew, I can feel the DOM's settling in right away.

Laura, Great job teaching your Pilates class. Ooooo, the Zumba tape sounds like so much fun! Wow, you even did Timesaver B&G prem. You are good and bet you will be feeling DOM's very soon. Yes, we had a really cold day. I don't know where that one came from, but I put a sweater on for that day. Not like August weather at all.

Take care and keep up the good work.

Janie
www.janespaperbeadjewelry.com

Last edited:
Hey gang. I apologize for being MIA for a few days. Just got a little busy but did keep up with the workouts. IMAX2 on Thursday, STS total body yesterday, and getting ready to do Maximum Intensity Cardio today.

We went over to the boat yesterday to remove all the food from the refrigerator and freezer, also dumped the ice from the icemaker and defrosted it. Put away items that could shift when they pulled the boat yesterday afternoon and rolled up the isenglass on the bridge. With Irene coming into the mid-Atlantic, we opted to have the marina pull the boat--it is now sitting on land until the storm passes. Then it will go back in the water.

So far we've had a little wind today--nothing out of the ordinary--and a little rain. The weatherman doesn't expect us to feel the tropical storm effects from Irene until later this afternoon and into the evening. Keep your fingers crossed that we do not lose electricity. Otherwise, just a normal rainy Saturday (so far).

Be back later after the workout.
Michelle

Did Step Moves today and we had Our son and his family over as well. My son, Rolly and I walked the woods for an hour and a half. My legs were so tired when we got home. I'm slowing down guys. I can tell.:( It's OK, there's nothing more I can do about getting older except what I'm doing. I don't like it, but I really don't have a say in it. I feel real good today, I cleaned the house last night (at least the dirtiest parts) and felt I accomplished something.

We are going to the ocean to look at a really neat place that's for sale. Low price, but if there is nothing wrong with it we may just buy it. We would live there in the Summer and Live here in the Winter and in the Fall (not all the time) we would go to the house boat there and stay a couple of months. Sounds like a grand life. It would enrich our lives very much. I've always dreamed of owning a place near the ocean and this place is only 1/4 of a mile walking distance to the ocean. Keep your fingers crossed please. We will be going Monday to see it.

Mjichelle, Great job on all the workouts. Those are some heavy duty workouts. You should be proud of yourself. I'm glad you took precautions to take your boat out of the water. How are you guys fairing? My fingers are crossed.

Irene has come and gone. Got lots of rain, lots of wind, but the electricity stayed on and Ripken and I only had one super wet walkabout. The sun is out today and we are drying out. Had a few tree limbs down in the neighborhood but that seem to be the extent of the effects of Irene. The boat was pulled but Joe talked to the marina today and it was not so bad there. They had alot of rain and wind but the water never got over the docks and they also did not lose electricity. So we have weathered this storm although many others along the coast were affected. Hopefully the temps will stay reasonable this week and the weather will stay reasonable until eveyone who did lose their electricity has it restored. Today was a stretch day--did total body stretching. Felt so good.

I don't think I made it back yesterday to post after MIC--yowwee! That's all I can say. That workout is tough. I made it through the hi/lo although on the super hi stuff, I had to take it down a notch. Also made it through the step portion without feeling like I was going to fall over. That's a first for this workout, so the kicked up aerobics seems to be helping. One more week with the August rotation. Tomorrow is HIIT 30/30 plus an ab workout from ab circuits. Oh boy!

Janie: I think we all have moments when we feel like we are slowing down. Better to be going slow than not at all. But really, you did Step Moves AND went for a nice long walk. No wonder you were tired. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you like what you see when you look at the house by the ocean.

The weekend was more restful than I anticipated and now I'm looking forward to the beginning of a new work week.
~michelle

Quick check in. Great walkabout with Ripken this morning. Then I did HIIT 30/30 plus ab circuits no equipment. Fun, fun, fun. Ripken hung out with me during the ab work which was nice because he provides a nice exercise focal point. Nothing like having a golden retriever staring you in the face while you are doing ab work. They truly are the clown breed.

A little quiet here on the check in group. I know folks are busy but hope one or two of you are able to drop in later today.
~michelle

Hi everyone!

I am so ready for the girls to start school so we can all settle into our school time rhythm! I ended up not working out for two days again last week. I need to really, really recommit to my workouts because they are beginning to slide..:eek::eek:

Saturday I did Intensity, and my oh my that step portion is a super killer!:p:rolleyes::confused: It really, really wipes me out! But I did my best and took breaks when needed. I find the Hiit portions almost seem easy after the step!

Tonight is Intermediate Pilates and Boot Camp!

Michelle: are you expecting much from Irene? Is your boat secure? Glad Ripkin was there to cheer you on through the ab work!

Janie: Good job on Step MOves and a long walk! No wonder your legs are tired! How was the house? That is exciting! Please do share!

Just got home from looking at the place near the ocean. We did make an offer on it! We went $7,000 lower than the asking price. We will pay for it in cash. She (person that owns the house) may counter offer and I so hope not. We are already making plans for a deck, gazebo, a place for a hot tub and an enclosure for our animals to protect them from weasels and raccoons. Yep, there are traps set out for them varmints. It has 3/4 of an acre and only a little less than a 1/4 mile to walk on the beach. First thing we did was check out the tsunami evacuation route in case there was a warning. It's only 3 miles away. If nothing obstructs the road (from the earthquake) we've got it made. We are soooooooooo excited! It will make the rest of our lives sweet. Of course there goes all our savings, but this is why we saved right? Now is the time to spend it. Oh, a little update. Joey, Rolly and I walked on the beach for about an hour. It was soooooooooo lovely. I took off the leash and Rolly just stayed with us the whole time. Briefly we encountered a family and then the beach was all ours.

Michelle, Great job on the walk with Ripkenand Hitt 30/30 with abs.

Laura, I too need to get back with my Joey again. I slid a workout and It's so easy to do without a partner. It's a little hard anyway, so back to TBS starting Weds. Great job on Intensity. Yea!

Janie

Last edited:
Today was Power Max. Whew! Walked Rolly 20 min. The place I'm talking about near the ocean is not a beautiful house. It's a single wide, but, it has all this yard space. Perhaps in the near future, we can take that one out and put a decent house in it's place. But for now, it will get us where we want, nNear the ocean and walking distance. The way I'm looking at is a motor home with sewer, water and power. Except it's big for a motor home. LOL:rolleyes:

Have a good one,

Janie

Hi gang,
Missed yesterday and also missed my workout because I had an early morning meeting. However, Ripken and I got in a nice long walk in the morning. The weather is great here this week. We survived Irene nicely and the boat, which was pulled, should be back in her slip. This morning after my walk with the pup, I did Lower Body Blast plus the bonus section--76 minutes of yowee! Lower body blast is super fun and if you have it and have not down the bonus section, I highly recommend. The good news is that while you feel your legs quivering at the end, you see Cathe's legs doing the same thing.

Janie: I am very excited for you. I hope the woman accepts your offer. It's all about the location, isn't it? You can always build a "vacation" home later.

Laura: good to hear from you. I'm hoping when you get back on the school schedule that you will be able to check in more often. Not working out for a couple of days is okay as long as you jump right back in. The more important part is not to slide on the eating/drinking--always the harder part if you ask me.

~michelle

Hi!

Today is the girls 1st day of 5th Grade! I took them shopping for their back to school outfits the other day and they had so much fun! They choose to wear the same thing this year, maybe because they could 'see' how it looked on the other, better than a mirror a twin! They are changing from children into big kids!!

Yesterday I taught Pilates and then went to my friends house to do a Zumba tape again. It is fun, & moves the body very differently than my other workouts. I definitely break a sweat but it isn't nearly as hard as a Cathe Step DVD. My friend is blown away by my 'endurance', :)

Today I teach Total Tone & maybe I can get in a Cardio Coach session on the elliptical.

Janie: oh that is so exciting for you guys! Cash offers are hard to turn down, so I bet she will accept it! The ocean is so beautiful it would be so nice to live near it! I miss seeing the ocean from my mom's place on Whidbey. Good job getting back to the work outs!

Michelle: I am glad to hear that Irene didn't affect you to much! Phew!! Yes the eating/drinking part is soooo important! And I am a party girl so it makes it even harder for me! Always some excuse or another! But I have been doing better & have actually lost 4 lbs! Sometimes I just make myself a low calorie 'mock tail' & walk @ with it & honesty no one ever notices! ;-). I love Lower Body Blast.... Well when it is over!

Today was 40/20 and walked Rolly for 30 min. I haven't walked from the house to the beach yet, but Joey says he's mistaken, it is 3/4 of a mile to the beach. Who cares, it will take about 15 min or so (depending on the energy that day) by walking fast and just a few min. on bike. Time to get the old bikes out.

Michelle, Great job on walking Ripken a long way and my oh my the LBB and Bonus. You are amazing! I'm relieaved that you are safe and sound from Irene's grasp.

Laura, 5th grade! They are getting bigger and smarter. I bet they were so glad to get back to school and all new outfits. At least I always was. Great job on on teaching Pilates and doing Zumba. There is nothing like Cathe for sure. If people do her DVD's they can't help but be in fantastic shape. Even (like me) modifying. Yep, I missed a day of the workouts, but I'm back on it. Had to see the house on that day. :rolleyes: I know, I used the excuse not to exercise because it was to late. But really just because I didn't want to.:eek:

Have a good one everyone,

Janie

Happy Thursday! Still experiencing nice weather although just a little warmer this morning--did not deter the pup from doing a long walk though. At first, I thought he was going to opt for our "medium" walk route, but he faked me out and opted for one of our long walks. Did LowMax after we got home. Ripken hangs out with me for the first half of the workout then heads to the cool tile floor in the bathroom for a nap during the second half. But he knows when it is cool down time and always shows up to get his licks in. He is such a goof ball.

DH, Ripken and I will be heading over to Solomons to spend the 3-day weekend on the boat. First thing will be to clean the boat up this weekend. It needed a good scrubbing before the storm last weekend, and I'm sure it didn't get any cleaner with all the wind and rain. It will take the better part of Saturday but it is good exercise.

Janie: ah good ol' 40/20. That's a great cardio workout. 3/4s of a mile or 1/2 mile--it's not that much further to walk really. Still sounds good to me. Is this is Washington State or Oregon?

Laura: I loved going back to school, although those middle school years can be tough. Lots of changes starting--hopefully your girls won't have a tough time. As for being a party girl--you are right that you can still have a good time with a glass of ice water in your hands. Plus you don't have to worry about driving.;) I stink at zumba. I've only tried it once and it was the 6th workout last year of the Cathe roadtrip, so that might have had something to do with my effort. Or--I really stink at zumba.

Hope everyone is having a great day.
~michelle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.