Gaining Weight with STS

fitme40

Cathlete
I'm really loving STS and will start week 4 tomorrow using Cathe's rotation. The only problem is since starting the program I've gained 4 pounds. My diet is the same as before and is very clean. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this. It's a little depressing:(!!

I had a couple of thoughts while reading your post. First, have you noticed that you've been hungrier and eating more since starting STS? Sometimes heavier lifting can cause an increase in appetite and calorie consumption. Also, are you incorporating cardio on your rest days? Cardio is a key element, and if you have stopped or reduced the amount and frequency of your cardio, that could account for some the gain.

How do your clothes fit? Have you taken measurements recently, or had your bodyfat percentage tested? A sign of gaining muscle as opposed to fat is that your waist and hip measurements will be going down, your bf goes down, and your clothes will fit looser. Four pounds is a lot of muscle to gain in such a short time, but everyone's body is different, and if you were previously lifting light or not at all, it could happen.

Another thing to consider is that when muscles are recovering they retain glycogen and water. This can cause a scale gain, but keep in mind it's not a fat gain. About 3 months ago I experienced the same thing - a sudden 5lb. gain on the scale. I was panicked, cause I hadn't changed my eating. Then I remembered that I had started a new workout plan - whole body, heavy compound lifting 4 days per week, HIIT and cardio the other 3 days. My bodyfat had gone down 3%, my waist and hips lost over an inch each, and all of my "jiggle" was gone. So, I'm writing it off to muscle gain and lovin' the way it looks.

Good luck with STS and keep us posted.

Thanks for the response! My eating and cardio have stayed the same since starting the STS program. Cardio on the off days. Unfortunately, my clothes aren't fitting any looser so I don't think that I've lost inches either. When I asked my DH the other day if I looked fat and I told him I had gained some weight he said "Maybe you've gained muscle!" Sweet, but no cigar:)!!
One thing that I did think of that you mentioned was the water retention. I keep hoping that that is the answer and each week I think that the scale may drop again but so far it hasn't. Did you eventually loose that weight? If so, how long did it take?

I have also gained weight since starting STS. (4lbs) My clothes are tighter in the hips and I have been eating the same. I have been faithfully following the STS + cardio rotation in addition to teaching 5 group fitness classes a week. I too am bummed and my husband has told me I look stronger. I hope my body is "shocked" right now and will start to respond and the weight will go back to where I started.
I didn't start the STS rotation believing I would lose weight, but I certainly didn't want to gain pounds or inches in my lower body! My plan is to really cut the calorie consumption during the rest week- maybe go a little heavier on protein and completely cut out white carbs during the rest period, then just eat a lot more veggies during the next mesocycle.
I thought I was alone in my weight gain during this cycle, it's a comfort knowing there are others that have experienced this.
Brenda in Indiana

I have lost 2lbs. of the 5lb. gain, but my weight does fluctuate. I noticed on the days that I would do my heavy lifting compounds, I would weigh more the next day. That I attributed to water/glycogen in the muscle. I finally went to weighing myself once a week, now I don't get on the scale much at all. I do measure every two weeks, and have been seeing steady decreases in those numbers! Also, my bf is not going up.

A couple of things I would suggest. If you don't do this already, log what you eat for about three days. Take a hard look at your log and look for processed foods, white sugar, etc. Cut those out completely. Focus on lean protein (really lean - skinless chicken breasts, egg whites, non-oily fish). For carbs focus on veggies (not corn or carrots - high in sugar). Sweet potatoes, brown rice, and oatmeal (plain). Fruit is fine, but limit it to two servings per day. Eat smaller portions more frequently, and always have a lean protein paired with a complex carb. Drink lots of water. And, watch portion sizes. I know personally that when I thought I was eating clean, I wasn't, and the little things add up quickly.

Another thought is to do STS as a full body workout three times per week. For some people, total body workouts are more effective than body part splits (I'm one of those). There are a couple of posts on the forum about doing it this way, and one of the posts even lays out the disc # and body parts in a weekly rotation. It may be under the STS category, or try the Open Discussion.

Thanks for the response! My eating and cardio have stayed the same since starting the STS program. Cardio on the off days. Unfortunately, my clothes aren't fitting any looser so I don't think that I've lost inches either. When I asked my DH the other day if I looked fat and I told him I had gained some weight he said "Maybe you've gained muscle!" Sweet, but no cigar:)!!
One thing that I did think of that you mentioned was the water retention. I keep hoping that that is the answer and each week I think that the scale may drop again but so far it hasn't. Did you eventually loose that weight? If so, how long did it take?

Any time you change how you lift in any way you will potentially experience changes like this. I think you have to give it 6 weeks before you look at it as "weight gain". If you are sure your eating is in tact - you are getting enough lean protein - drinking plenty of water - then I think you are just fine.

6 weeks seems to be the magical time frame for many when they are determining what a new program is doing for their bodies.

Just my thoughts...Good Luck!!!

I just completed my first week of STS, and I've experienced some weight gain too. I'm not too concerned, because I usually gain a little weight when I first start a new weight-lifting routine. I think in another 2 weeks or so, I will loose the lbs. I gained.

Weight

I also have gained a couple pounds, glad to know I'm not alone. I have attributed it to WINTER. :( I sure hate to think it's the workouts! I know I'm less active in winter: no garden hoeing to do, grass doesn't need to be cut, not even much snow to shovel in west central Ohio. I plan to give myself till April, but then. . . maybe sit down and cry? Don't know. My jeans are tighter, course my butt's firmer, should I just be happy with that? :D Well, maybe at my age, YES! :)

During the first two weeks, I gained six pounds. I log my food intake so I knew I wasn't eating any more even though I was more hungry! During week three, the weight came off and I am now back to normal. However, I cut back on my food intake during weeks two and three. I don't know if that had anything to do with the weight loss or not.

I, too, am glad to know I'm not the only one!

Another thing to consider is that when muscles are recovering they retain glycogen and water. This can cause a scale gain, but keep in mind it's not a fat gain. About 3 months ago I experienced the same thing - a sudden 5lb. gain on the scale. I was panicked, cause I hadn't changed my eating. Then I remembered that I had started a new workout plan - whole body, heavy compound lifting 4 days per week, HIIT and cardio the other 3 days. My bodyfat had gone down 3%, my waist and hips lost over an inch each, and all of my "jiggle" was gone. So, I'm writing it off to muscle gain and lovin' the way it looks.

Good luck with STS and keep us posted.

This is exactly my rotation, full body, heavy lifting workouts three times a week, and one-plus hours of HIIT the other three days, with one day rest. In two weeks I lost one inch on my hips, waist and thighs and I can really see the difference in areas that are leaning out. In other words, I was stoked this morning...

I stood there looking at the scale, because I don't weigh myself daily, maybe not even weekly. But looking in the mirror I was interested in what I weighed, or in other words...what does this *look* translate on the scale? And sure enough, instead of losing weight, thinking I was finally breaking that freakin' plateau, I instead gained 5 pounds!

This is my experience, so I have to agree also. And I would much rather gain the weight and look better then vice-versa. Another reason I abhor my scale....hate that thing to pieces! :confused:

Don't you love those full body workouts? And I agree - I hate my scale also. I'm not even tempted to weight myself anymore, since the tape measure and mirror are far more accurate anyway. And, we don't walk around with a scale strapped to our butts, so who knows or cares what it says? I used to be a distance runner, and was skinny but not firm or defined. I still love to run, but I'd never go back to it and sacrifice my muscle.

I'm really loving STS and will start week 4 tomorrow using Cathe's rotation. The only problem is since starting the program I've gained 4 pounds. My diet is the same as before and is very clean. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this. It's a little depressing:(!!

One of the myths I would like to shoot down is that you gain weight by lifting weights. It is simply not true. Like any activity, weightlifting burns calories. The only way to gain weight is either increased food intake, decrease in physical activity (calories burned) or temporary water weight gain. This assumes you don't have a thyroid or other metabolic problem.

In the case of STS, or any strength training routine, it is impossible for anyone to naturally gain 4 pounds of lean muscle in 4 weeks. Even a male bodybuilder with the right genetics and testosterone would have a hard time gaining 4 pounds of muscle in an entire year of hard lifting.

Also, it is important to weigh yourself at the same time of day. You will be at your lightest in the morning before breakfast and your heaviest in the evening after dinner.

Last edited:
I don't know, I haven't gained any weight, but I know I'm much hungrier than normal since starting STS. After all though, STS is burning calories, you're going to be hungry. I've never heard of weight lifting causing that much weight gain and if it did, I'd know about it (and be thankful as I'm underweight due to a fast metabolism). So, I can't agree or believe that this has anything to do with gaining muscle or due to the program itself--definitely not believing it in such a short time frame.

Hi!
I am loving STS; however, the weight thing and my body feeling a bit "different" is an issue with me as well. I do remember the same thing happening to me years and years ago when I first starting doing the original Firm workouts. I'm wondering if our bodies just need to adjust to the new workouts.

I am glad that I am not alone

I also gained a few pounds since starting STS. I am now more carefully monitoring my week on a weekly basis and doing food logs more religiously. I also have been very hungry, but have gained weight while still eating the same. Hopefully this is only temporary.

I love this forum. It makes me feel part of a community. We are one powerful, knowledgeable group. Knowing that other people are having the same issue is really important to me.

Just Awesome!

Rhonda

Its water retention. I have the same thing every time I am sore. It takes me about a week to come down. If it worries you too much, you can try a mild diuretic, like 20 mg Furosemide. It helps me sometimes. (incidentally, I am a pharmacist). Dont worry, its normal! :)

Water retention

When you begin any new weightlifting program your body will retain water in the beginning. This is because your body's muscles will store more glycogen when you start a new program and this attracts more water to your muscles. This is why your muscles swell. After your body adapts to the new program your body will stop storing excess glycogen and the water retention will decrease.

A story I often tell related to this is about a workout I did with a young employee of ours about 25 years ago. We decided to do the hardest and most insane back workout ever. We did as many sets of pull ups as we could and then did negatives on a Nautilus Chin and dip machine starting with about 240 lbs and worked our way all the way down the weight stack (24 sets! of negatives). DOMS are not something that are desirable, but if you want to get them, do negatives - Ouch!

On the plus side after completing this workout my biceps grew "temporarily" over 1 inch. This was not muscle unfortunately, but water retention and swelling. On the negative side I couldn't lift my arms over my head for at least a month- LOL. Certainly, not the smartest way to work out, but does illustrate in an extreme way how water retention is caused by weightlifting.

Remember, more than half your body's weight is made up of water. Short term fluctuations in your weight have more to do with increases or decreases in water retention - not muscle and/or fat.

Thank you, SNM

Your explanations about weight gains, bulking and water retention are very helpful. I am encouraged now and convinced at least some of my weight gain is too much winter sitting. Maybe when I start planting peas next month I'll see the scale go back down.

Thanks, again.
Janie

gaining weight

I certainly have gained weight. I can feel it and refuse to get on the scale to see exactly how much, but I need to eat better!!! But I've been starving since I started STS!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.