Gaining Weight with STS

Glad I read this thread! I have been holding off on weighing myself till end of month cuz I hate that scale too! I definitely feel stronger, etc. after these few weeks. Will have to wait and see what the nasty scale says!! :confused:

Thank you so much for this explanation. :) I just finished Disc 4 and noticed afterwards that my biceps felt swollen. Then I read this and it made sense. Thanks for the information!

--Tara

When you begin any new weightlifting program your body will retain water in the beginning. This is because your body's muscles will store more glycogen when you start a new program and this attracts more water to your muscles. This is why your muscles swell. After your body adapts to the new program your body will stop storing excess glycogen and the water retention will decrease.

A story I often tell related to this is about a workout I did with a young employee of ours about 25 years ago. We decided to do the hardest and most insane back workout ever. We did as many sets of pull ups as we could and then did negatives on a Nautilus Chin and dip machine starting with about 240 lbs and worked our way all the way down the weight stack (24 sets! of negatives). DOMS are not something that are desirable, but if you want to get them, do negatives - Ouch!

On the plus side after completing this workout my biceps grew "temporarily" over 1 inch. This was not muscle unfortunately, but water retention and swelling. On the negative side I couldn't lift my arms over my head for at least a month- LOL. Certainly, not the smartest way to work out, but does illustrate in an extreme way how water retention is caused by weightlifting.

Remember, more than half your body's weight is made up of water. Short term fluctuations in your weight have more to do with increases or decreases in water retention - not muscle and/or fat.

I ate a little more than normal and did not expect to lose this week.
I had started over with Cathe to do sts. I lost 1lb this week. Extra eating was only 100-200 cal per day.

Joan

I'm doing WWers and so am tracking all my calories and have been 'on program' for about 6 weeks. Pre-STS I was losing on average 1.5 lbs a week and for the first three weeks of STS I have lost 1,5, 1.6 and 1.2 pounds each. So, I don't think that STS will necessarily result in a weight gain or stall for those that are trying to lose and afraid to try STS. More importantly, I can see fitness gains week to week, that are very encouraging.

Interesting thread! Actually I started using a Bodybugg the same time I started STS (I also go to the 24 hour fitness gym where they sell them) which is a device you wear that tracks your calorie burn and you log all your calorie intake into their web site. It has been very enlightening...as I was not burning nearly the calories and was eating more than I thought! Anyway...I have lost 5 lbs since starting STS....I know that I am eating less than I was before because of the close monitoring so actually have expected to lose more by now after almost 4 weeks. I agree that muscles do swell when starting a new weight program....and I think this is what is happening with me as well.

Cheryl

Interesting thread! Actually I started using a Bodybugg the same time I started STS (I also go to the 24 hour fitness gym where they sell them) which is a device you wear that tracks your calorie burn and you log all your calorie intake into their web site. It has been very enlightening...as I was not burning nearly the calories and was eating more than I thought!

OMG, I bought a bodybugg a week after starting STS! I was shocked by my actual calorie burn. Second to STS, my bodybugg was the best fitness purchase so far. Eye opening information.
It also motivates me to walk more!
On days I'm sitting on the computer, I burn under 2000 calories and that is with a hour of STS!

OMG, I bought a bodybugg a week after starting STS! I was shocked by my actual calorie burn. Second to STS, my bodybugg was the best fitness purchase so far. Eye opening information.
It also motivates me to walk more!
On days I'm sitting on the computer, I burn under 2000 calories and that is with a hour of STS!

Oh wow, how cool you have one too Cynthia! Yes...VERY eye opening experience for me too. I like having the digital display wrist unit because like you said it motivates me to stay more active to increase my calorie burn! My highest calorie burn has been around 2400-2500 calories but that is with STS in the morning then in the evening spin class, and sometimes elliptical or treadmill for about 30-40 min. before spin class!! Has been a great fitness investment for me also. My training partner used one for 8 months last year and lost over 40 lbs!!

Cheryl

Now you guys have got me interested on getting a Bodybug! How much do they cost, and is it true that there is a monthly fee for the software? Also, do they track calories more accurately than a heart rate monitor? My HR monitor only recognizes "cardio" calories.

Now you guys have got me interested on getting a Bodybug! How much do they cost, and is it true that there is a monthly fee for the software? Also, do they track calories more accurately than a heart rate monitor? My HR monitor only recognizes "cardio" calories.

Here is more info on the bodybugg
http://www.bodybugg.com/

24 hour fitness has them on sale for $219 armband, $99 digital display. I highly recommend the digital display. You can wear it on your arm for a watch or on your belt buckle. The initial cost includes a 6 month subscription to their website. The digital display shows the numbers for 2 days. The armband holds 14 days worth of data that you can download in the software. The website is where you program your goals/targets into your armband so you do need it. It's great because you can set your goals for fat loss or muscle gain. Easy, simple food logging.

I love the software :) It holds all your data, goals/targets can be adjusted up or down. For example, my daily goal is to burn 2350 calories, reach a minimum activity met(activity above 3.0 intensity) for 1 hour, and walk 10,000 steps.

It doesn't measure your activity by heart rate so it does measure weight lifting activity. I would say very accurately too. STS measure at the least 50 METS on my digital display.:cool:. On STS days, I'm completing about 2 hours of MET activity with weight lifting and my 10,000+ steps.

Cynthia,

I just thought of one more question. How does your actual calorie burn calculated by the Bodybugg compare to the online estimators? I sometimes use Caloriecount to log my food and macronutrients, and it gives me an estimate of daily calorie burn based on my height, weight and age. I log my activities, and it shows an estimated calorie usage. I've always wondered how accurate it is...

Thanks!

Jan

Jan,

I never used that calculator before so I logged in to compare. It over estimated my total calories burned. I clicked on moderate activity and it estimated I would burn 2300 calories. According to BodyBugg, on a day with moderate activity, I'm burning just under 2000 calories.

On days I complete one hour of STS, 40 minutes of cardio, housework (meeting 10,000 steps a day) BodyBugg is reading 2300 range. I think one day I reached 2600 calories burned with 70 minutes of cardio coach:eek:

I like knowing what I need to do to burn x amount of calories.
I think the online calculators are close enough that you would make improvements.
For me, the digital display is there to constantly remind me of my goals and what I need to do to achieve them. I'm trying to lose the holiday fluff. If I want to eat more, I need to move more. If I want a lazy day, I need to cut back. I love when I look down at my bugg knowing I'm still showing a calorie deficit for the day.:)

I really think I need a Bodybugg. :)

I'm so sorry for enabling you:p :)
If you want more info on BB, you can find some demos and reviews on youtube.
Also, I wanted to mention. The downside to the BB is that you need to wear it all day. It bothered me a little for for a few days, but now I'm completely comfortable with it. I take it off to shower and that is the time I download the info and let it recharge on the computer usb.

That is interesting Cynthia the comparison between the online calculations and what your bodybugg calculated for calorie burn. I do feel the bodybugg is a much more accurate way to keep track. And I agree with you that having the digital watch keeps me motivated through the day. So far I've lost 6.5 lbs so I'm really happy with it!! I was like you that it really bothered me wearing it for the first few days but now I'm completely used to it. When I complained about wearing it to my training partner who used one last year he remarked that the model he wore was about twice the size of this new one ha :)

Jansherman, I just wanted to let you know that a few months back I bought a BB and I tried using it for a while and then returned it because I could NOT figure out how to operate it. I may sound a caveman, but I didnt understand the way it "communicates" to you - with different buzzes. I did not like the device at all so I got my money back.
Just an FYI.
Cynthia and Cheryl, I am very glad you are finding it useful and like it! :)
Best to you all: Krasy

Cheryl I think the online calculators miss what you do in between workouts. I workout for 1-1.5 hours a day, but was not as active in between. BodyBugg keeps me moving:) and on days I don't want to move, I know how much I have to cut back. It's like carrying a checkbook around. I know my account balance to the minute!

Krasy, sorry it didn't work for you. You are lucky you could return it. I thought they were not returnable?
I received a phone call from a BodyBugg coach within days of receiving mine. One free phone counseling session is included with the newer buggs. The counselor goes over all the features and answers any questions. The only problem I had was downloading the info. Firefox prevents proper download so I have to open my Internet Explorer anytime I log on. The rest was pretty easy. The beeps let you know it's activated, or lets you know when you've reached a goal. Luckily, I hit my goals during the day so there have been no beeps while I'm sleeping:D

I have not gained one ounce so far

I weigh myself at the same time every day.

I have not had one ounce of weight gain doing STS.

If I thought STS would cause weight gain, I would stop doing the program.

I am enjoying the program tremendously.

Time just flies and the production quality is wonderful.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.