Exerciers with physical health challenges new check in

Happy New Year!

Thanks for the list of foods, Cendrine. I'm going to add some of those to my shopping list. That makes sense that you would lose weight when you lower inflammation. 3.5 lbs. in 4 days sounds like water weight/inflammation to me.

Cendrine, I don't have any specific workout goals for the year, other than finishing STS and continue being consistent with working out. I hope to finish my fat loss this year. I have about maybe 45 lbs. to go, so I'm not in as big a hurry as when I had 130 lbs. to go.

Katie, I am enjoying STS. Disc 9 worked some new areas, and I really felt it in my inner thighs and hamstrings yesterday. I'm getting a little better about not having to take as many breaks and switching my weights over quicker. The barbell switch overs can be a real pain because my barbell seems to take forever to switch the weights out. For cardio I've just been mixing in whatever I feel like for the day. I keep cardio less strenuous on and after leg day (plus the leg endurance workouts are somewhat of a cardio workout on their own).

Amy, I totally agree with you about the sts leg workouts being cardio as well! Lol! I am really impressed with you and the weight loss you have achieved! Way to go! Someone I knew once lost about 120lbs and the people around Her said, she basically lost a whole person! Amazing! Keep up the good work and keep us updated on your progress, we'll celebrate with you!

Cardio and weights for me today. This was one of my very first workouts and I have a special fondness for this one!

Amy, STS legs is definitely exhausting. I have 3 barbells, I had the types with "threads" so it took forever to switch the wts. I always have them loaded and ready to go which makes it easier. I always take breaks in the first mesocycle so don't worry about that, it is very fast paced. I am a little to old to keep that pace anymore, lol. Keep us posted with your results.
Someday we should all plan on going to one of cathe's road trips so we can meet each other.I have always wanted to go to one but never knew anyone who was going, I really am not good at doing things like that by myself.
Cendrine. C&W is always a favorite of mine as well. I may need to try that this week.
Today's w/o was RWH, chest, tri's and shoulders. I didn't do cardio first so it was much better than last week. I finished with low impact plyo 2.

Thanks Cendrine re: the weight loss. This isn't the first time I've lost a lot of weight, but I hope it's the last time. I really have to take it off and keep it off for my back and my heart. I will have lost almost half of myself by the time I'm done!

Katie, I have a barbell with "threads." I have one in my garage that is even worse - you need a wrench to change the weights over! So the threaded one is a bit of an improvement. I always set up the first weight before hand. Today was STS disc 7 again, and I needed 5 different weights on the barbell. I have thought about buying at least one more barbell, but I'm still on the fence since it probably won't be an issue in future mesocycles.

I'd love to go to a road trip, but I hate travelling! Maybe Cathe will come to Minneapolis someday. That wouldn't be much of a trip for me.

Amy, They make barbells without the threads, I found one after I had already purchased 3 of the others. I think I found it at Dick's, it may a good investment since it is much easier to change the weights. If cathe ever does a road trip to Mn I could definitely see going on that trip since my sister lives there and it could be a road trip/visit with her.
Today I did CLB today and core 2 from xtrain. I wasn't going to w/o today but it is rainy/sleeting and miserable, working out was just what I needed.
Have a nice weekend.

I have never liked barbells. I have a weight stand like Cathe's and I just use Dumbbells, for Sts I use wrist weights for the times when I need more gradual increases. We have Dumbbells up to 40lbs and I have the weighted vest I use if I want to add even more. Works for me much easier to change from one to another...

Amy, I have gone up and down in weight in the past as well. It was when I was pregnant with my first that I finally got a handle on portion control, moderation, working out regularly and being generally in more control of myself. I still vacillate sometimes but nothing as drastic as I used to. I don't do diets any more, I just focus on eating really healthy foods and stopping when I'm full, and that seems to work for the most part. It's nice to have found a maintenance place. ☺️ I'm sure you will find it too!

I did food prep for the week ahead and spur of the moment cleaned windows in three rooms of my house, not the outside, mind you, since it's raining all the time here in Portland this time of year.... Lol!

I would love a Cathe road trip, but the expense always scares me off...

Today was STS disc 8. I will have to look at barbells somewhere other than Walmart sometime :). Today I only had one change over, so it wasn't too bad. I also shoveled the little bit of snow we got. It was soooo cold out (the wind chill was about -20). It makes me very glad I have workouts I can do inside that keep me warm.

Cendrine, that is so great that you have been able to maintain! I think I'll be able to do it, but I get nervous because I never have been able to maintain weight loss in the past. I'm not looking at this as a diet, but more as how to eat. I don't overly restrict calories, so hopefully it will stick. I think being overly restrictive was the big mistake I've made in the past.

I totally agree with you, Amy, about the overly restrictive being the culprit in long term maintenance, and I think you are on a good path making this a lifestyle rather than a period of time. I think this is what helps me maintain, just making healthy changes for good, not temporary. You'll do great!

I am so with you about being glad to have indoor workout options! It's nowhere as cold as where you are here, but it rains a lot, and I like dry... Lol!

Workout was lower Body Blast.

Thanks Cendrine! Today I did RWH Low Impact 1 and Bonus Abs 1. I haven't done any RWH in a while, so I figured I was overdue, lol! I think I got through it a little better than last time.

I think I overdid RWH the first week and am a bit scared of it now... Lol, scheduling it very infrequently... I'm so glad you did better already on RWH low impact!

I did party rocking step 1 on just one riser, before I had done it on two, but felt I needed the break today, and I added on RWH abs 1

I did low max today, I was still sore from the antigravity class I did yesterday so it wasn't pretty!!
Amy, I cannot imagine shoveling snow in those frigid temperatures! It is 26 here today and I was freezing!
Cendrine, I over did RWH the first week as well but it gets easier the more you do it. My favorite so far is the plyo 2 on the step. It doesn't seem as difficult as the low impact to me.

Hi all,

I have not done a check In In quite some time. I was looking at all the check ins to see which one would be a good fit for me, and it suddenly popped in my head that maybe I could start one myself.

I have been working out with Cathe for over 10 years now. Over the years I have had some physical challenges thrown in. I herniated my L4/L5 disk about four years ago, am dealing with chronic bicep tendinitis and am going through a heavy metal detox to get rid of mercury poisoning. I am also dealing with crazy food Intolerances that make it tough to eat well at times.

I am determined through it all, however to do the best I can to stay in shape. I have not allowed my limitations to cause me to throw in the fitness towel all together. I have had to become creative about how to modify workouts, I am one of those people who can't complete any rotation as is because so many things need to be tweaked. But I'm working out, and keeping fit. A few weeks ago I was hiking and biking with several friends who are not facing the challenges I have and I was thrilled to find out that I was able to handle the demands of the hikes and bike rides better than everyone else! That is enough encouragement right there for me to keep going on even if it is hard sometimes.

So, if you are pushing through challenges yourself and find yourself modifying but not giving up, maybe you can join me here? I think it would be great to support each other on our journey to stay fit while pursuing healing and preventing further injury!

Today's workout was sts plyo strength week two with a foam roller stretch for my IT band afterwards. I can't do the rock climbers and the squat thrust jumps of this workout, but I just do another plyo instead. The half turn jumps and the scissors kill my quads every time!

I hope you join the journey!

Hi all,

I have not done a check In In quite some time. I was looking at all the check ins to see which one would be a good fit for me, and it suddenly popped in my head that maybe I could start one myself.

I have been working out with Cathe for over 10 years now. Over the years I have had some physical challenges thrown in. I herniated my L4/L5 disk about four years ago, am dealing with chronic bicep tendinitis and am going through a heavy metal detox to get rid of mercury poisoning. I am also dealing with crazy food Intolerances that make it tough to eat well at times.

I am determined through it all, however to do the best I can to stay in shape. I have not allowed my limitations to cause me to throw in the fitness towel all together. I have had to become creative about how to modify workouts, I am one of those people who can't complete any rotation as is because so many things need to be tweaked. But I'm working out, and keeping fit. A few weeks ago I was hiking and biking with several friends who are not facing the challenges I have and I was thrilled to find out that I was able to handle the demands of the hikes and bike rides better than everyone else! That is enough encouragement right there for me to keep going on even if it is hard sometimes.

So, if you are pushing through challenges yourself and find yourself modifying but not giving up, maybe you can join me here? I think it would be great to support each other on our journey to stay fit while pursuing healing and preventing further injury!

Today's workout was sts plyo strength week two with a foam roller stretch for my IT band afterwards. I can't do the rock climbers and the squat thrust jumps of this workout, but I just do another plyo instead. The half turn jumps and the scissors kill my quads every time!

I hope you join the journey!

not too sure how this new website works, but here goes. i like this thread. lots of challenges the last couple years. mainly i am turning 60 this month, which that is so weird to me, how could i be SIXTY? and, i was diagnosed with hashimoto auto-immune thyroditis this summer. that is a drag. so, everyday is a new day. will i have energy or will i be dead on the couch. it is a learning experience. i am down to 3 workouts a week and thankful to get those in. where for the last 30 yrs. i have worked out 5-6 days a week. havn't been doing cathe. mainly firm and tracie long. cathe is just too intense with this disease. i have to be careful not to deplete myself. it is very strange. but , i will try to check-in here with y'all and we can encourage each other.
cathy

Hi Cathy and welcome! So sorry to hear about your diagnosis! I have a friend dealing with it too. I'm glad you are listening to your body. That's what this check in is about, doing what we can safely. Congrats on turning 60 and being fit! I don't think many people can say that. Sixty is the new forty, right?

Workout today was athletic step and power hour upper body only.

I have been consistently doing some stretches my acupuncturist gave me to help keep my hips and back in alignment. Last visit to the chiropractor I was in such good shape, he told me he didn't want to see me for two months! I'm really encouraged about that progress! I never knew how much acupunctur tourists can address In Their treatments!

My w/o today was RWH, UB circuit. It was pretty easy since I was helping my friend learn the routine and learn modifications. I am going to my yoga class tonight so I was happy for an easier w/o. She struggles with a lot of injuries and doesn't know how to modify a lot of cathe's moves. She just recently started working out at home, where I have been doing cathe's dvd's for probably 15 years. It is fun to have a w/o partner ever once in awhile.
Welcome Cathy, I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, that is a tough one to deal with. I am only 52 and it gets harder every year to w/o at the same intensity. Having osteoarthritis I could have easily given up and stopped working out, but i am determined to stay fit and keep active so it doesn't cripple me when I am older.
Cendrine, I have never been to an acupuncturist, what all do they do for you? I go to a massage therapist every once when my back and hamstrings are bothering me. I wish I could afford to do it more often.
Amy, My sister said it was it was -15 with wind chills making it -40, I hope you are staying warm!! I could not imagine living in that climate!! I have Raynaud's disease and my hands will turn white and go numb when they get cold. Yesterday it was 20 here and I thought I would have to go to ER because my finger was so white and numb it actually hurt! I am trying to get an appt with a rheumatologist to consider going on medication for it. I really hate prescription drugs, if anyone here knows a good herbal based one that would help let me know.
I hope everyone has a good evening, stay warm!

My workout today was 4ds double cardio. I always like that one!

Amy, so sorry to hear about your fingers and what happens when they get cold. That's terrible! What kinds of properties would a prescription drug have, cortisone, antiinflammatories? I could look for herbal subs if I knew what the medicine is supposed to do.

Hey, this just came into my email inbox and it made me think of you guys. I have just recently done a free summit about gut health and the micro biome, which has gotten me started on this Candida and leaky gut healing program. I have learned a lot from the sessions,and I figured since the sessions are free, maybe you would be interested in listening in on some. (I'm not trying to sell you their program, and I'm sure there is something they will sell at the end of it, but you can get yourself educated for free and possibly take things into your own hands and see if you can improve your individual symptoms)

http://painreliefproject.com

Cendrine, I have been putting off RWH. I told myself when I was on a diet break that I wasn't trying to burn fat, so I didn't need to do it :) I'm going to try doing it at least once a week. That's great news from your chiropractor!

It has been very cold here. I work from home so luckily I haven't had to go outside much, but I did have to snowblow today. Raynaud's disease sounds awful. You definitely would not want to live in this climate. Heck, I don't want to live here!

It's great to have you here Cathy! I'm glad that you are able to get some workouts in when you can.

I can't imagine cold like that! You are a trooper!

Workout was circuit blast and stability ball abs. I'm glad for the weekend and a two day break from workouts. I'm feeling a bit tired.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.