Ending chemo, resuming workouts ?

Connie12

Cathlete
Hello fellow Cathletes! It's been too long since I posted anything here, but I do lurk a few times a week. I've got a question and I know this educated crowd is the right group to ask! ;)

I'm almost through with my chemo treatments, my final (sixth) treatment is next Wednesday. My oncologist said that I can start focusing on losing weight 6 weeks after that so I figuring my 'start' date will be around November 1. If you're interested in reading about my cancer journey you're welcome to check out my Caring Bridge journal at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/conniescheel I'm also on Facebook, search [email protected] or my name ^ .

My question is should I focus on cardio or strength DVDs now? I heard or read something recently (but I'm not sure where) that when you're first coming back to working out or starting to work that focusing on strength training is better so your muscles and joints can handle cardio better. That makes some kind of logical sense to me, but I'd like to hear your opinions (and Cathe's too, if she has time).

Cardio is tough for me right now anyway. My cardio capacity has decreased a lot during my journey through radiation and chemo. I've felt especially 'weak' the past 3 weeks and haven't been up to doing Cathe cardio, but I've tried to be as active as I can handle right now. (Actually today is the first day I've felt up to doing some Cathe cardio, still deciding which workout would be best though!) Aside from fatigue my biggest side effect from chemo is a numbness and burning feeling in my feet (also called neuropathy) so some days even walking is difficult. :(

I understand that there should be a balance between cardio and strength training, and I know that my body probably will need to re-build my cardio endurance with just walking or easier-than-Cathe DVDs for awhile. My oncologist says that I can do any activity I feel up to doing including exercise.

So, what are your thoughts and/or experience with focusing more on strength training? And which Cathe DVDs do you recommend to get started? I have Muscle Endurance, GS the upper body ones, both Pyramids, CTX series, 4DS series, Push/Pull and Supersets, and B&G in my 'strength' Cathe collection. I have several cardio focused DVDs, also.

Thanks so much for your help and all the encouragement you've given me these past couple months!! :D

Congratulations on finishing treatment! :)

I have no answer for you, though if I were in your shoes, I'd start doing whatever I felt up to...if that's strength training, then go for it.

My husband only went through radiation, and the fatigue seemed to last a bit beyond the end of treatment, which really bugged him. He was ready to head back in the gym, but his body wasn't. He's back to 100% now, so all in good time. :)

Welcome, welcome back! ((hug)) May you continue to heal, and may you have many healthy years and Cathe workouts ahead of you.

Congratulations on graduation from treatment!! In my experience (radiation therapist for 27 years) most of my patients start back with easy cardio. Stamina is an issue for several weeks to months after combination therapies so don't be discouraged if you have to scale back a lot in the beginning. If you feel like throwing some weightlifting in, go for it!! (keeping in mind that your strength is probably significantly less right now- just start slow and build back up. I believe most of the people I know started lifting 2 days a week and walked 3-4 times a week.) BTW- Yoga has been very beneficial to many of my patients.
As far as DVDs.... I am leaning toward 4DS or push pull with very light weights, the other DVDs seem to be more endurance (more repetitions) than you may be able to tolerate right now.
Sending hugs and positive affirmations....

Hi Connie,

I would focus on workouts that make you feel good/happy after doing them! For me that would be a strength workout followed by some stretching/yoga.

Cathe's shorter premixes are great! If you prefer strength DVDs, I would start light with the weights and work your way up, gradually. If you want to build up your cardio endurance you can use higher rep workouts, and do Total Body DVDs that have a slight cardio effect working the larger muscle groups with lunges, squats, etc.

Nothing wrong with using the DVDs you already have. If you get bored with walking, you might want to try something different (step maybe?) Or, you can string a couple of Cathe's warmups together to make a pretty good workout, too when you're not feeling up to doing more choreography than that.

Ease back in with a couple strength days a week and three walking days. You'll probably need a couple rest days, so take them and enjoy them! Maybe use that time for some active stretching, or a nice outdoor walk.

Congratulations on beating that Cancer and fighting back! Good luck on your journey back to fitness!

Congratulations on completing treatment!

I don't have any particular expertise about post-chemo exercise, but like another poster mentioned above, my friend's husband did experience fatigue for some time after his chemo ended. So, I would think the idea of the 4DS premixes (clocking in at about ½ an hour) with light weights is a great suggestion for weights combined with easy walking and yoga some other days of the week.

(((HUGS))) & best of luck as you continue to rebuild your strength.

Congratulations on completing your treatment! I think the best thing you can do is just really listen to your body and do what feels right on any given day.

Maybe start with light weights and see how you feel. I think everyone is so different so what may work for someone else may not necessarily work for you.

Best wishes to you as you continue to heal and regain your strength!:)

Thank you, Brenda! I appreciate your kindness and expert advice!! Stamina is definitely an issue for me, so I know I will have to go easy and build up slowly. It's hard on the ol' ego, but I know killing all those nasty cancer cells is worth it!

I have been doing some Yoga throughout my treatment, and plan on finding a Yoga studio via yogabear.org once I have gotten through my final chemo. I love Yoga!

I like your idea of using 4DS with light weights, and of course the shorter cardio is great for me. I'm good at taking out some of the intensity where I need to. I like your perspective on endurance strength workouts, makes good sense! I want to do workouts that encourage and invigorate me, not make me feel like I'm 'failing' in some way.

Hugs back at cha!

Thank you RunninTeach! That's another wise vote for 4DS and lighter weights complimented with Yoga.

Hugs and thanks! :)

Thank you, Elle! You are absolutely right, and I will take your advice about listening to my body. I'm doing that today, in fact. Feeling weak with cold-like symptoms so I've been feeding myself healthFULL foods and resting on the couch. ;)

Many thanks! :)

Thank you, FelineLuv! Your advice makes a lot of good sense to me! I've been doing some step and some kickbox here and there when I feel up to it already and I will keep building up. My workouts have been rather scattered during treatment, so after my final treatment and a generous/smart recovery period I'd like to have more of a routine, but at the same time I will listen to my body and rest when I need to.

I love your idea to do link together some of just warm-ups! I will definitely do it, so smart!

Thanks for all your kind words and advice!

Connie :)

Just wanted to say congratulations on your final treatment coming. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Not really much in way of an answer but I am an avid yoga practioner. To me yoga is love and life for your body and your cells. But you know that since you already do it. Isn't it the best. Whatever you do I wish you the best of health and luck. One more time Yeahhhhhhhhh for you.

There's been a lot of really good advice and opinions here already, so I won't repeat what's already been said!

I just want to say congratulations on getting to the end of your treatments! Sending prayers and healing energy to you that you will regain your strength and energy quickly and stay healthy!

Connie, congratulations on getting to the end of your treatments! All I wanted to say, take it easy! You been through a lot! You will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((HUGS))) Wishing you all the best.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.