Embarrassed to admit

AliCurtis

Cathlete
I have noticed that each time I eat asparagus, my urine smells horrible! I have been too shame to share this with my fellow Catheites before; but I wanted to make sure this happens to other people. It doesn't help that I absolutely love asparagus. If I ever lose my sense of smell I'll eat them everyday. It's so bad, I only eat them when my husband is away at work. I am so embarrassed .

Yes, this happens to me to. I make sure I don't eat it before I have to go to work -- even the night before. I wouldn't want anyone to be grossed out in the ladies room. It's too bad, because that is one reason that I don't eat it too much. I love it though!

Yes, I have the same problem. I actually did a bit a research on this several years ago and found out some very interesting things on the matter. I discovered that there is a gene for it so not everyone will experience the same smell. In addition to this, asparagus is filled with sulfur-containing amino acids and this is believed to be attributed to the smell. Skunks also have the same thing by the way, makes sense. Well, at least the good thing about asparagus is that it may have diuretic effects.

HTH

Its VERY normal! :eek: Being as asparagus is my FAV veggie I decided long ago that if anyone commented I'd ask why they were so close they could smell it! :eek:

Like workoutqueen said, it seems that scientists have yet to completely agree the asparagus pee question. Maybe everyone makes smelly asparagus pee and only a few of us can detect it or maybe both production and detection of the ahem aroma are special features of our wonderful selves.

I like this short article on the subject.

Yep, I have smelly pee too when I eat asparagus. . . . and if I eat alot of asparagus and a lot of broccoli multiple days in a row my gas has been known to clear out a room :eek:

Its VERY normal! :eek: Being as asparagus is my FAV veggie I decided long ago that if anyone commented I'd ask why they were so close they could smell it! :eek:

The only time I've EVER had asparagus was in a Lean Cuisine meal. I was very pleasantly surprised it didn't hurt me. Really, those SPEARS always looked so dangerous to this reforming junk food junkie (artichokes, too... they LOOK deadly). Still, I never actually prepared my own asparagus and have to ask how do you prepare fresh asparagus in a clean way? It's one of those things I've always wondered about.

The only time I've EVER had asparagus was in a Lean Cuisine meal. I was very pleasantly surprised it didn't hurt me. Really, those SPEARS always looked so dangerous to this reforming junk food junkie (artichokes, too... they LOOK deadly). Still, I never actually prepared my own asparagus and have to ask how do you prepare fresh asparagus in a clean way? It's one of those things I've always wondered about.

:D I LUV that artichoke "scare" you! My DH says the same thing- " Those are weapons"! rof!
I'm not big into fancy cooking cooking... I prep Asparagus 3 ways only...(its all I know!) ;)
1: Bring a large pan of water to rapid boil - I put a touch of EVOO in it .... cut off tough part of stem- a inch or less at the bottom of stalk
Add to boiling water for about 3 minutes (over cooked asparagus is like canned- mushy:()... I then add a little S&P and lemon juice

2: Grilled..... Lay on a cookie sheet (again w/ lower stem off).... Drizzle with EVOO and Lemon Pepper Seasoning..Cover w/ foil. Grill about 10 minutes in 375 oven (or until tenderness you like)

3: Using those microwave Steaming bags ("glad" is one brand) just cut up to fit in bag...add lemon juice & spices you want and follow package instructions for cooking time.

HTH.....

?????????????????

I have noticed that each time I eat asparagus, my urine smells horrible! I have been too shame to share this with my fellow Catheites before; but I wanted to make sure this happens to other people. It doesn't help that I absolutely love asparagus. If I ever lose my sense of smell I'll eat them everyday. It's so bad, I only eat them when my husband is away at work. I am so embarrassed .

Why should I care & why would anyone admit it in the first place??????????????????

This is normal. I read that it has to do with something called "asparagusic (or something like that...there's 'asparagus' in the name) acid" present in the asparagus).

However, there is controversy as to whether only some people are 'stinkers' (I am), or whether only some people are 'smellers' ( I am) (that is: does asparagus make only some people's urine smell horrible? Or does it make everyone's urine smell horrible, and only some can smell it?)

Was the gene for ' making ' the smelly pee, or being able to ' smell' the smelly pee? (see my above post).

I believe, if my memory serves me correctly, I read information about the gene for 'making' the urine smelly. However, as you mentioned, there is controversy on the topic.

Katrina

I can't remember the last time I ate asparagus and now I'm going to have to go buy some.
e2b25634dd76654917360cfafe3025dada18088.gif

Why should I care & why would anyone admit it in the first place??????????????????

Of all the TMI I have been exposed to on the forums asparagus pee has to be one of the least "offensive" and it is at least a legitimate health related question. ;)

I mentioned this post to a friend who told me there was recently a NPR segment on this very subject. It seems even the well informed don't have an issue with discussing asparagus pee.

Pee

The same with me, too!

Grilled Asaparagus is yummy!

cakebaker,
Obviously this interested you enough to open the thread up to SEE what she was embarrassed to admit to.:mad: She just wanted to know if it was normal or not or if others could relate to this issue.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.