Cathe VS. Personal trainer

Road2ANewMe

Cathlete
I am 7 weeks post partum with a c-section. I have 3 kids...7 weeks old, 4 years old, and 20 months. With that said, I am contemplating joining a gym and hiring a personal trainer to help me get back into shape. I talked with her today, and will workout with her tomorrow night. She said she would mainly do weights with me. It cost $300 for 12 sessions of 30 minutes each.

So, do you think it is worth it? I mean, i lack motivation in cardio, not weights. However, i really need to get back into shape. I will workout with her at 6:30am 2 times a week. What I am wondering is if Cathe DVD's can give me the same results and let me spend that $300 on new clothes!!

Advice??

Jessica

I think if you lack cardio motivation you should go with Cathe...Unless you have not weight trained that much. Then the instruction from your sessions will really help in the long run with form. It also helped me see how far I could actually go and push myself otherwise I would never have tried to lift heavy. But for me cathe is very motivating. And once you see some results that will even motivate more...Hang in there:)

I'm 5 weeks post partum and I'm going with Cathe. :)

I also belong to a gym but won't be using a personal trainer. I'm really excited about STS.

If you need help with cardio, then a personal trainer isn't going to do much for you. Save your money and go with Cathe. ;)

I love cathe weights! LOVE THEM!! I would do weights everyday and forgo the cardio if I could. I'm just worried about spending the money would I've already got so many cathe dvd's. My thinking is that I won't oversleep when i'm meeting with a trainer like I do at home. Maybe its time I really learn discipline!

great topic...what dvds after pregancy seem to help motivate and get you back in shape?

Tammy

Tammy,

I didn't workout during my pregnancy, but I can offer what I like:) I jumped back in with basic step. I needed that 30 minute step dvd to get me back to speed. I love the pyramids, too! KPC is always my fave and I can modify as needed since I just had surgery 7 weeks ago!

I agree with Miss Lee

From what I've seen, personal trainers are overwhelmingly oriented toward strength training, and only phone in the cardio component in their clients' training sessions ("Warm-up on the bike for 10 minutes, then we'll get started"). I think you'll find more than enough cardio motivation here on the Forums / Cathe Nation, maybe by selecting a check-in group that appeals to you.

Save your money and get better results here, not there.

A-Jock

I love KPC as well.

I'm trying to get baby weight off as well and have thought about the gym and personal trainer...well I had one did about 6 sessions and loved it but then my daughter got hurt at the gym and two of her teeth got knocked out (she is only 5:eek:() so she is scared to go back...whcih I can see why...so I thougth maybe I would do another gym or maybe a bodypump clas but people on this group are getting me motivated to jump in and do cathe. I have two kids and my body really needs some help.

Tammy

Also 7 weeks with a c-section... im back to my weigth pre pregnancy.. but cant wait for STS.. that will be my personal trainer!!!

I say skip the personal trainer and go with Cathe:) If you already like and are comfortable doing weights then it seems like what you're really looking for is to round out your program and be consistent. If the personal trainer is only going to do weights with you then I don't see how that accomplishes what you are aiming for. Plus $300 is a lot!

I had a c-section (16 years ago!) so I know where you're coming from. Be gentle with yourself and everything will ultimately heal! Good luck:)

Cassie

I'd really want to know more about the trainer's credentials. The personal trainer I work with is awesome and has a background in psychology, communication, and nutrition and certainly doesn't skimp on cardio training. Maybe an occasion session to keep yourself on track or hook up with a group or search for a better trainer whom you can check in with every so often.

Tammy, my children won't go to the gym daycare. Within 5 minutes, the daycare comes to get me. It's crazy. So, I would go in the morning while DH was still home with them.

I will say that when I did cathe consistantly and ate clean, i had AMAZING results. I dropped a pant size very quickly. My dd at the time was only a few months old...so cathe can definately get you to where you want to be! My only problem is the lack of motivation to get out of bed and moving. I'm lazy.

You know, I'm going to go against the grain here. There ARE conditions, of course. The biggest being how good a personal trainer she is. There are really good one's and really bad one's but a great one can help you with everything fitness related: cardio, weights, diet & nutrition... I actually would love to be able to hire a good personal trainer because, much as I love Cathe (and Sean O'Malley), one-on-one attention is hard to top. Besides, women NEED weights to help build muscle and, thus, burn fat (not to mention strengthen your bones). I was just watching Dr. Oz on Oprah today and he was absolutely adamant about the importance of weight lifting for ALL women. I doubt you need to fear your trainer will be 100% weight-focused. Back when I used to go to a 24-hour gym I always saw the personal trainers there on the cardio machines, as well as in the weights area. I doubt any really fit person does one but not the other. You could benefit greatly from her expertise... If she's a good trainer. Unless she sucks(!) I think it will be $300 well-spent. I'm actually anxious to hear all about what you think of your first session so, if you do go through with it, I hope you'll report it here tomorrow night...

BTW, you should check into CardioCoach if you have cardio motivational issues. I hated cardio and rarely did it until I found CC. Now, I look forward to knocking myself out on the treadmill.

I am going with SirenSongWoman.

I have worked out both with my Cathe videos and with a trainer and I think they can complement each other.

If you are in a slump and cant find the discipline to do your workouts regularly, a good trainer can work wonders. A trainer helps you squeeze out those last few reps after you are spent, and encourages you to challenge yourself. Because you have paid and because the trainer is waiting, you show up for exercise. Working for a few weeks with a trainer puts you into the groove and gives you a boost to get out of the slump, find disciple to exercise on your own. Early results are the best thing to breed motivation and discipline. You may find renewed interest and commitment to strength train with your Cathe DVDs after a few sessions with a good trainer for strength.

However, a trainer whose style does not work for you or who isnt very passionate is a no-go if you have done Cathe DVDs. Cathe DVDs spoil you with their variety and energy-levels. So a trainer who doesnt put as much thought into customizing your routine and keeping it challenging will not be worth it.

I think a trial session or two to ensure the trainer is right for you is a good idea.

I also second the idea to check out Cardio Coach - particularly if you are joining a gym and have access to a variety of cardio machines. It is incredibly motivating to do cardio on the treadmill/elliptical/bike once you discover Cardio Coach.

Last edited:
Road2ANewMe:

I have to agree with Beavs and SirenSongWoman. I don't think you will know until you try her. Another thing to think about is getting yourself out of the house for some *ME* time. If your DH is going to be willing to watch the kids while you take care of you-- I say GO FOR IT :) I had my kids very young and almost back to back... I would have given my right arm to be able to do that :)

I agree w/Vee, SSW & luckyruns. Cathe's DVDs are tougher than the cardio you'll find in a gym, but she's not right there in your home tailoring the workout to your own personal needs. There are different types & levels of personal trainers, & finding the right one who'll create a program that'll help you reach your goals is well worth it. And, for that matter, a trainer can help you incorporate Cathe's workouts into whatever routine s/he creates for you.

BTW, $300 for 12 sessions is an incredible deal! PTs where I live get $65 an hour. The best deals bring it down to $60 an hour. I'd jump on that price! Crap, I'd TUCK jump on that price! :D

I am a personal trainer and do exactly what Laura said - incorporate Cathe's workouts w/ the program I develop. I have introduced several people to Cathe's workouts. My clients have a love/hate relationship with me. ;)

Road2ANewMe,
You need to take time for yourself. I say go for the trainer and do Cathe's workouts as well. Hopefully the trainer will be knowledgeable and you'll get great results!

I think there is a lot of value in being accountable to a trainer to get you back on track. You have to pre-pay for your sessions, so the cost factor plus the knowledge that someone is waiting for you to workout can really get your butt in gear.

These two factors helped me to re-start my workouts after slacking off for awhile. But, you know what? Once I have the workout habit, I get MUCH better results with Cathe! So much more bang for the buck!

Another thing, It's SO easy to postpone workouts at home and with 3 little ones you may do better at gym with no distractions or excuses to miss your workouts.

Good luck to you! You're worth the $300 "me" time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.