Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

Here is my check in@

Tuesday PRS#2
Wedneday:KPC Bonus ABS RwH#1
Thursday: Pedal Max 71 minutes plus Glutes
Friday: PRS#1 Premix 59
Saturday: Athletic training and Bonus Abs RwH#1

Today I did Athletic training with 4 risers instead of 3. Realised few minutes further in the program I had an extra risers.
I decided to just carry on. Now I can not wait to re-start STS.

Svetlana: How do you like imax2. I love imaxes, all of them. Imax3 is my favourite. Enjoy your new workouts.

Jodi: Glad to know you making progress in your nutrition. Nutrition is the hardest part for all of us.

Jen: viewing hammer and chisel is a very good idea. Please keep us informed.

Tom: Great idea increasing intensity with superset...You are working really hard. tri push down is another one of my favourite.
This may sound odd--- I am one of the ladies who love/enjoy working triceps. Well I have learned to love working triceps.
I love the diamond shape on triceps:p

Good week end Everyone,

Yesterday I did EBE2 Plyo Legs + Plyo Upper Body + STS Extended Stretch. We also went for a long bike ride. This morning was The Firm: Power Yoga.

Svetlana--thanks so much for posting the time breakdowns! Very useful! I investigated the breakdowns on quite a few other Cathe workouts and have more on my to-do list. I am updating the blog post reviews with the time breakdowns as I go, too. So again, thank you very much! I added all of the breakdown times to the reviews yesterday.

I agree Nathalie--Athletic Training with 4 risers sounds brutal!

Now I am going to hold off about a week or two before signing up for the free streaming. According to the info about it, you also get 10% off of anything you order from Beachbody if you are a streaming member. Since my husband is probably getting me Hammer & Chisel for Christmas, I definitely want him to get the 10% off! I don't know what the release date is, only that it will be released in December. So I need to be a streaming member in December! But I also don't know how long the free offer lasts, so I don't want to wait too long!

Leg day today. 7 sets of squats x5 from 45# to 195# finishing with 135x12. 3x6 on reverse lunges and 2 leg calf raises + 70# 40 40 30 30 and finished with 3x8 hanging knee raises. Feels good that I was able to make the w/o up and not miss it. Have a great week!

Good morning! This morning I did STS #22 Chest, Shoulders & Triceps + Muscle Endurance abs & stretch only. Planned doubles is HIIT #3 Pyramids.

THIS is my favorite hypertrophy week. I love those drop sets. In fact, the shoulder portion is so intense yet so quick, that would be a great one to add onto another workout (the shoulder section only) to get some great additional shoulder work. I will definitely be figuring out the muscle group time break downs for Meso 2 upper body workouts. They are the best for add-ons IMHO. I did a lot this weekend--I went through almost all of my Cathe strength workouts figuring up muscle group time breakdowns. I discovered even more on the STS Total Body DVD. I had no IDEA there were additional supersets that aren't included in the main program! I had read somewhere once that there was a pull up bonus that was included in some of the premixes, but I never went and looked at it myself. Well, this weekend I was looking at the chapter breakdowns of almost all of my Cathe strength workouts and I was stunned to see THREE bonus supersets on Total Body! What a fun discovery! I also "rediscovered" the bonus premixes on some of the workouts. I knew about them (and used to do them) years ago but had forgotten. The total body premix that combines Pyramid Upper and Lower, and the premix that combines Muscle Endurance and Bootcamp. I really need to revisit those. I used to love them!

OMG tslop--squatting 195# seems unreal to me. The last time I did STS I think the most I squatted was 110 and that was the final week!

Jodi--I feel like I have asked this before (and I am sorry if I have) but I don't remember. What kind of workout is P57?

We went to the library this weekend and I totally redid my recovery week (next week) workouts from their workout DVD section! I got barre workouts, yoga workouts and a Tracy Anderson workout! So that will make up my recovery week--in addition to workouts I already own (BodyFit 360 workouts, PiYo and some KCM). I really hesitated on the Tracy Anderson but there is so much controversy about her workouts (and her qualifications) and opinions are so black and white--you either love her or hate her--that I decided to see what all the bickering is about. I'm pretty excited about the barre workouts. I got a Pure Barre workout and an Element Barre workout.

Today was chest day for me. I did a 12 set bench series, going short sets on the way up to avoid fatigue. 85x5 115x5 135x3 155x2 175x1 3 sets at 155 4x5x3 4 sets at 135 8x8x6x6 1 set of inclined dumbbell flys 40s x10 (only did 1 set due to bothering elbows) 3 sets of decline pushups (feet on bench) 15x15x12 and finished with a 5 min plank, Jen, I am forcing myself to post some weights in the hope of shaming myself into improvements. I promise I am not bragging, but I feel if I post it will motivate me to improve!! I have lost a lot of weight the last couple of years and strength with it...I WANT IT BACK!!!! Thanks for making me feel better!!

I really hesitated on the Tracy Anderson but there is so much controversy about her workouts (and her qualifications) and opinions are so black and white--you either love her or hate her--that I decided to see what all the bickering is about

You are really brave Jen ---- Please share your thoughts in due course:p

Jen, I am forcing myself to post some weights in the hope of shaming myself into improvements. I promise I am not bragging, but I feel if I post it will motivate me to improve!! I have lost a lot of weight the last couple of years and strength with it...I WANT IT BACK!!!! Thanks for making me feel better!!

Awww Tom I believe you are not bragging, You sound sincere:):). Wish you the very best in your quest.
Tom have you ever considered hiring a personal trainer to support your quest?

Jen and Svetlana, you can get all premixes and bonuses from Cathe compendium. Have you looked at it?

http://www.themeasuredmom.com/cathe-compendium/

Tracy: Hello tracy, Welcome to our check in. As I mentioned before, feel free to check in whenever you need to.
We are open to discussion and feel free to post and share. I am re-starting STS next week.

Jodi: Hope you are having fun mixing Body beast and barre workout.

Healing 11 hope you are have a good week. I am looking forward to hearing from you later on this week.
Are you revisiting STS soon?

Sunday: Was rest day.
Today - Monday: superset including Abs + Bonus Abs from RwH#1

Nathalie--so next week starts Meso 1 for you? I bet you're excited!

I have the compendium (several versions of it!), plus I already have all of the premixes listed in each of my reviews. What I am looking for (well, looking no longer, I'm practically finished) is the actual muscle group break down times, which isn't the same thing as a premix. The compendium may break the exercises down but it doesn't list chapter times. That's why I had to go in and do it all manually. I am pretty sure I did almost all of Cathe's strength workouts this past weekend except STS Meso 2-- and I'll do that this upcoming weekend probably.

And Tom--I don't know how squatting 195 pounds would shame you! Your workout sounds impressive!

Nathalie--so next week starts Meso 1 for you? I bet you're excited!

I have the compendium (several versions of it!), plus I already have all of the premixes listed in each of my reviews. What I am looking for (well, looking no longer, I'm practically finished) is the actual muscle group break down times, which isn't the same thing as a premix. The compendium may break the exercises down but it doesn't list chapter times. That's why I had to go in and do it all manually. I am pretty sure I did almost all of Cathe's strength workouts this past weekend except STS Meso 2-- and I'll do that this upcoming weekend probably.

And Tom--I don't know how squatting 195 pounds would shame you! Your workout sounds impressive!

Yes, I am excited, I changed my rotation and have made up my mind for meso 1. I won't double up each disc.
I will be doing 2x2 per week with 2x2 glutes/abs bonuses. I have drafted my own paper based Glutes add on.
I will aim at doing the variation of the plie squat I posted recently. I want to work Abs,hip/glute region a bit more.

Those muscle group time breakdown will come in handy in future for blending. I will lurk your blog:);)

Jen, P57 is Physique 57 and is barre work. Which Pure Barre workout did you get? I'm wondering if it's an older one. I also can't wait to hear what you think of Tracy Anderson!

Tom, I am always impressed with your workouts, but I know you are the one that has to be impressed with the work you do. Keep doing your best and you'll get to where you want to be. In the meantime, keep posting your numbers to inspire the rest of us to kick some butt!

Today's workout was BB Bulk Chest and Shred, another new one from Lindsay Brin. I was able to up my weights for Chest, but I was definitely struggling sometimes with his pace. Sagi, slow it down!

Jodi..I couldn't hang with his pace either! If it's heavy enough to be effective, it can't all be done that fast!! It really irritated me and even though I wrote it and did off paper I finally gave him up! (might have lasted longer if there had been some eye candy for ME!!...just kidding!)

Today was back day and I decided to try to do a ton of chin ups. 10 x8 x6 x5 2 sets of 4 and 9 sets of 3 . On the 3 rep sets I never really could get the 4th, but never had trouble getting #3??? When the smoke cleared I had done 15 sets and 64 reps. Whew...may feel that tomorrow!!! Then I did 3 sets of lat pulldowns x 8 and 2 sets of dumbbell rows x 8, totaling 20 sets. I really want to fry a bodypart /day and see if I can stimulate some growth! Hope ya'll have a great day!!

This morning was STS #23 Legs + 100 rep hip thrusts. Today's workout seemed the hardest of all the lower body workouts in Meso 2 and I loved it! Probably because I increased my weights on every exercise. My legs and glutes are still protesting! Planned doubles is Xtrain AOLIH premix 6. I didn't end up doing HIIT#3 yesterday for doubles. I just didn't feel like it when I got home from work. I didn't want to tuck jump or air jack or any of the joint pounding contained in those workouts. So instead I did Turbo Fire Fire 30. Thanks for the TurboFire reminder Healing11 because I enjoyed it so much I swapped out my upcoming Friday morning workout, too--now I plan to do Fire 45 + Stretch 10.

Nathalie--what does 2x2 per week mean? I have been doing 3 lower body workouts each week for Meso 1 & 2 and I will be in Meso 3, too, but they will change--Plyo Legs, Squat Rack Legs and 4DS Kickbox/Lower Body. Also, once a week for doubles I will be doing one of Cathe's mat/stability ball lower body segments. I've also been doing the 100 rep hip thrusts every week for Meso 1 & 2, but I'm changing it up in Meso 3. I am using the version from that video you posted where I use my bench and rack to do some really heavy hip thrusts. But I am not doing 100 reps! 4 sets of 12 reps. By the time I am done with STS I will be ready to give my glutes a break I think! I know I am currently looking forward to my recovery week next week. This rotation is wearing me out!

Jodi--I got Pure Barre 16th Street Vol 2. It's from 2011. The library currently has 4 Pure Barre workouts. At least that I spotted. They have a pretty big workout DVD section and the workouts are all mixed up. For instance, they have a lot of Tracy Long workouts but none of them are together! They are scattered all over the section. Lots of workouts by Element but again, scattered.

Nathalie--I am actually really nervous about the Tracy Anderson workout. The reviews are so weird! I really don't know what to expect. Part of me is expecting something like Dream Body, Tonique and Piloxing. I did not care for Dream Body and Piloxing. Tonique was ok, but I've never been inspired to return to it. Some of the reviews make me think of those workouts--especially Dream Body. Dream Body was actually very hard but so annoying. And ZERO fun-factor. I hated that workout.

Today was the first time for Lean Legs & Abs. I did the long premix which adds in the barre bonus. Certainly not the hardest leg workout I've ever done, but so much fun! I really loved the firewalker work and of course, the barre work. I doubt I'll have DOMS like from the BB Legs workout, but I know I enjoyed LLA more.

Jen, that is an older Pure Barre workout so I'm not sure how good it will be. I do remember reading that the volume 2 of each of their older workouts is supposed to be harder than the volume 1 DVDs. I'm looking forward to reading your review for it!

Nathalie--what does 2x2 per week mean? I have been doing 3 lower body workouts each week for Meso 1 & 2 and I will be in Meso 3, too, but they will change--Plyo Legs, Squat Rack Legs and 4DS Kickbox/Lower Body. Also, once a week for doubles I will be doing one of Cathe's mat/stability ball lower body segments. I've also been doing the 100 rep hip thrusts every week for Meso 1 & 2, but I'm changing it up in Meso 3. I am using the version from that video you posted where I use my bench and rack to do some really heavy hip thrusts. But I am not doing 100 reps! 4 sets of 12 reps. By the time I am done with STS I will be ready to give my glutes a break I think! I know I am currently looking forward to my recovery week next week. This rotation is wearing me out!

Hi Jen,

• 2X2 I meant to quote I will be working upper and lower body twice per week ,from STS program as designed.
  • 2X2 I will be adding short ABS and Glute drill to the main program. Abs will mainly be from Cathe's Abs hits, RwH, Cross fire and To the max. Oh of course hip thrust is part of the glute drill. I have added on legged deadlift and reverse hyperextension i posted here previously.:) I want to do tons of hyperextension on the bench! God knows what I would get from it LOL.

I will share my rotation here and on facebook. I have another cathlete friend starting STS soon too. We will all keep each other accountable.
Should be motivational. Wow You know how to map out your own rotation to your liking:):). 3x Glute per week is brutal. Yes you will
need an rest once you are done with this cycle. How are you planning to maintain the result? Once you have gained some development in
that region, you want to keep it:rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p, keep the symetry right?:):) As to hip thrust I will be doing heavy one as we discussed before and as hightlighted above.:) Great stuff Can not wait.

Last edited:
This morning was Ultimatum Red + Turbo Barre abs & stretch only. Planned doubles is RwH Low Impact HIIT 2.

That's a good question Nathalie. And I have thought about how I will maintain the results. I'm not sure yet. I will probably continue to work my lower body 2x a week and supplement with barre and matt work doubles.

Jodi--I totally agree--Lean Legs and Abs definitely isn't an advanced workout, but it is so much more fun than Body Beast's lower body workouts. Something I am becoming more and more convinced about the older I get is that fitness should be about enjoyment. I will admit I did not always have this mindset. In fact, I spent many years with an intensity mindset--that more brutal the better. If it didn't leave me about to puke by the end of the workout then I must have not worked hard enough and therefore the workout was doing nothing for me. I honestly felt like if it didn't hurt in some manner (not injury hurt, but maxing out hurt) then I had completely wasted my time. That seems ridiculous now, but I honestly used to feel that way. I don't feel that way anymore and have even been questioning the sanity of my current rotation (and my current rotation could be easy for someone else, but it is kicking my butt)! In fact, I have decided that once I complete this rotation, I am taking it down a notch for a very long time. Maybe forever. I don't mean I am going to stop working out--NEVER! But I just don't know that I need to keep working out this hard. Enter ICE--just in time, too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.