Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

http://cathe.com/5-habits-that-slow-your-metabolism

Here's the article.

Jen, I just read your Perfect Design review, and it had me laughing! The arm section for her sounds like the one I tried in a Ballet Beautiful workout...just a lot of flailing and flapping of the arms. Just bizarre.

I'm glad you liked the barre workout! Again, it's just a different way to work your legs and keep your muscles guessing. Mary had posted on this thread awhile back about the Barre3 workouts. If I remember correctly, she only found one or two of them challenging.

And I totally agree with you about Cathe's high rep strength workouts. I can't imagine that they don't have that afterburn effect. Healing11, could you post a link to the entire article which has that quote? Maybe seeing it in context would help figure it out.

Well, that didn't shed much light, lol! The only other thing that comes to mind for the lighter muscle endurance example would be something like barre workouts, where you use light weights with high reps. In her latest article about barre workouts, I think she does mention that they don't have that metabolic effect. I would need to look at it again to remember exactly what she wrote.

Today's workout was Great Glutes. I did the extreme premix. Holy cow, what a workout! I know the focus is the glutes, but I think it hits the entire leg pretty hard. Oh, those pizza presses and hydrants...wow! I will be feeling those tomorrow.

Jen, I also check out other people's arms! (Usually that's the easiest body part to see.). If I see a woman with nice muscles, I'm always tempted to ask what work she does that get them, but yeah, I know that would be weird. Haha!

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree. That article didn't put it in context. I think you're right. It probably is things like barre and pilates. However many of those barre workouts make me work up a sweat! And my muscles are burning for hours afterward. Great Glutes is a great workout. I keep going back and forth about my 3rd lower body workout during Meso 3--4DS Kickbox + lower body or Great Glutes? Or maybe I should alternate them? One one week and the other the next week.

This morning was Pure Barre: 16th Street 2 + KCM Your Health Back. My legs are still burning from Pure Barre. That was so hard! Here is the review for the other TA workout I did: Mat Method.

We were out very late last night. Stevie Wonder put on a 3 1/2 hour concert! We did not expect it to last that long--but it was a great concert. But I stayed home from work today and slept in! We are going to the library later and I think I will check out one more TA workout--Perfect Design 3.

Last edited:
Today was BB Bulk Shoulders and Ruthless Nitro Burn. My calves, hamstrings and butt are sore from yesterday so all that hopping around in Nitro Burn really did burn.

Jen, your review of Pure Barre makes me curious about their older workouts now. I'd like to compare them to their newer hour-long DVDs to see what's missing from the shorter ones. If it's something like their arm work, it might be worth me investing in them.

GG or 4DS Kickbox...such a tough choice. I do love that whole 4DS workout! I'd say alternating them would be a good compromise.

Hello buddies,

Jodi - I wish you a great time during your upcoming vacation :)
Nathalie, Tom - hi !
Healing11 - I read the article re: "high intensity weight training" several times. Like Jodi, I think it refers to high reps exercises such as barre, which do not increase metabolism.
Mid-weight exercises, at least for me, do increase metabolism. The heaviest set of dumbbells I have are 5 kg (11-12 lbs). Since I began training with the 5-kg weights (January 2015) I am hungry more often, eat more but weigh less.
For me, 5kg are insufficient only for back and some biceps exercises. When doing Cathe workouts, I do double arm rows instead of single arm rows. And sometimes I tie resistance band around the dumbbells for extra challenge.
As for the lower body exercises, my legs can take heavier weight but my lower back can't.
Jen - again, you posted some awesome , extremely useful reviews! :)
What impressed me most regarding TA's (quote) "unique style which fills a severe hole in the fitness world in terms of a strategy to achieve the mastery of perfection.” (unquote) is
(Quote) "Tracy says you should never use heavier than 3 pound weights because then you will just bulk and bulking creates “more space for loose skin later on.” (unquote).
My workouts since the last post:
Friday - Afterburn, Doubles - Travel Fit
Saturday - Body Max 2 (step premix); legs segments from High Reps Doubles - KCM Your Best Body (cardio / leg premix)
Sunday - Cathe's Intensity (Hiits only), KCM Trim Down (boxing) Doubles - Xtrain AOLIH
Monday - Cathe's Circuit Blast; 100 Rep Challenges tri's, bi's, shoulder flyes, scarecrows, hip thrusts
Tuesday - KCM Cardio Blast (plyo w/o) ; the mat segments from Lower Body Blast, Pyramid Lower Body and Great Glutes
Yesterday - Imax 2 and the back segments from Michelle Dozois Pure Strength 1 & 2
Today - Paul Katami's 4x4 Bootcamp (50 min of it) Doubles - Jari Love Bootcamp (50 min)

Warm regards !

Hi everyone!

Today was BB Bulk Back and three segments from Pure Barre's Tone in 10 DVD - Thighs & Seat, Thighs & Abs, and Back & Stretch. Oh my gosh, the Thighs & Abs section was intense! My legs were shaking like crazy...so incredibly "painful"!

Good morning! I don't know how much of a "recovery week" this is turning out to be for me! Maybe for my upper body and high impact workouts--but my legs and glutes are still being brutalized by all of these barre workouts! I have to say, I am loving this new way of training. It has given me something new to add to my arsenal. It hits muscles that weightlifting doesn't and it hits the muscles weightlifting does hit in completely new ways. Plus it is easier on the joints. Once I finish my STS rotation I will be including barre workouts in my rotation every week.

Jodi--I've now added some of Pure Barre's newer workouts to my wishlist. The library doesn't carry them but they are more affordable. The 16th street one I did is expensive! I am now following it on ebay tho--people are already selling it cheaper there, but not as cheap as I am willing to pay. But hopefully one will pop up eventually and I'll snag it.

Svetlana--I had to add the quotes! It is hard to believe the stuff that comes out of TA's mouth. I think everyone should be informed of her "credentials" (or lack of) before doing the workouts. That is not to say her workouts are not effective, but the stuff she says makes her seem completely ignorant about basic kinesiology that any trainer who puts themselves out there as an expert and is "training" the public should be knowledgeable about. She sounds like she is making things up as she goes along! I just had to share it with people! But I stand by loving her lower body work--it is really excellent and enjoyable. Her mat core work is unique and excellent too. (NOT her standing core work--I can't stand that)

Yesterday I did Element: Ballet Conditioning and my doubles workout was Element: Barre Conditioning/Lengthen & Strengthen. This morning I did Xtend Barre: Lean & Chiseled and planned doubles is TA's Perfect Design Level III Advanced.

I LOVED Xtend Barre! Every workout I've done so far this week has been similar and yet different. They each had their own unique aspects. Xtend Barre is the same--but this one was very intense. She added a cardio element to barre without adding any impact. I was sweating and working hard! This one was my favorite barre workout so far. I will definitely be ordering this one. I only have two more barre workouts to try out before Meso 3 starts up on Monday.

Last edited:
Rest day today and the end of my BB rotation. I really enjoy doing one body part a day, but can only take so much of Sagi. I think with the extended Muscle Meltdown premixes, I'll be able to do a similar rotation with Cathe...much more enjoyable! I doubt ICE will be delivered by the time my vacation is over so I'll just have to wing it until it arrives.

Jen, I'm so glad you're enjoying your barre experimentation. I'm not saying I'd ever give up my heavy weight leg workouts (no way! Love my weights!), but I love feeling that burn from barre work. That one 10 minute section yesterday was so very hard yet I can't wait to try it again to perfect my form. If you like XTend Barre, you might want to look at Tracey Mallett's Booty Barre Plus Abs & Arms. I am always drenched in sweat after that one. Also, Physique 57 has that cardio effect. Their moves start out slow and controlled and then get more dynamic.

Svetlana, you always do such amazing workouts. I'm always impressed! I hope all is well with you and your custody issue.

Hey Tom and Nathalie! Looking forward to hearing what you've been up to!

Hi all! Today was shoulder day for me, I started with an 8 set pyramid military press series, then I did 4 sets x 8 of side laterals, 3 sets of barbell front raise x 8 3 sets of rear delt fly 10x 10 x8 1 set of dumbbell press and 1 long set of heavy shrugs. 20 sets total ( trying to do 20 sets/bodypart/w/o). Tomorrow will be arm day. I was off 3 days this week with medical appts and travel to, from, and resting from the trip, so Monday I hit chest,legs and back. knowing I would miss some days in the middle of the week. Did put on 4# this week and that is good news!!! Keep up all the good work ladies!!

Hello everyone,

Last week check in frome Thrusday.

Thursday: Abs and KPC
Friday: Glutes and Afterburn
Saturday and Sunday Rest

This week workout is below. I did not follow the order to the letter.

Week1

Mon: STS Disc1 plus Tabatacise +ABS

Tues: STS Disc3 Legs + RwH low impact#1+ Glutes

Wed: STS Disc2 B&T+ ABS

Thurs: To the max plus Glutes

Frid: RwH upper body circuit + Abs

Sat: RwH Lower body circuit + Glutes

Next week I will do a short premix of TTM instead of main program. My Glute drill is very challenging. I want to do it
3 times per week at least for meso1 and 2 just to see what kind of improvement I can gain from it.
Reverse Hyperextension is very challenging --- But Fun. I am also enjoying Goblet squat with 10kg in medium speed
motion. It is a full Goblet and I no longer feel uncomfortable doing them. I think I need fully warmed up and stretched
muscle before doing them. I can not believe I am kicking my own butt with this add on:eek::eek:
I am so happy I have finally re-started STS. I will do it as often as I can. This time I am adamant to complete the bodybuilding cycle.

Hope you all had a good week.:)

Hi all! Today was shoulder day for me, I started with an 8 set pyramid military press series, then I did 4 sets x 8 of side laterals, 3 sets of barbell front raise x 8 3 sets of rear delt fly 10x 10 x8 1 set of dumbbell press and 1 long set of heavy shrugs. 20 sets total ( trying to do 20 sets/bodypart/w/o). Tomorrow will be arm day. I was off 3 days this week with medical appts and travel to, from, and resting from the trip, so Monday I hit chest,legs and back. knowing I would miss some days in the middle of the week. Did put on 4# this week and that is good news!!! Keep up all the good work ladies!!

Congratulation on your gains Tom... :)

Jen, I'm so glad you're enjoying your barre experimentation. I'm not saying I'd ever give up my heavy weight leg workouts (no way! Love my weights!), but I love feeling that burn from barre work. That one 10 minute section yesterday was so very hard yet I can't wait to try it again to perfect my form. If you like XTend Barre, you might want to look at Tracey Mallett's Booty Barre Plus Abs & Arms. I am always drenched in sweat after that one. Also, Physique 57 has that cardio effect. Their moves start out slow and controlled and then get more dynamic.

Reading this above Jodi after doing leg disc3 from meso1 made me think. I love meso 2, it is my preference but I want to be balanced. I do not want to just do middle and top end of strength. I also want to bare the enduring burn endurance training put me through. It is a mental stimulus. I want it all LOL. At the same time I want muscle and be able to sprint with a good cardio vascular ability I love when I can swiftly walk though a very steep road in my city without being out of breath.

I hear you both jodi and Jen for barre. I will be doing some during meso 2, linda wooldridge.

@catwoman7631

Jodi, Have you viewed STS meso 1? I think you would be happy to know that each disc contain a short barre drill
at the end of the program. I did it yesterday. I have always done it when I visit STS and it is effective in terms of
hitting muscles. Basically it is a great finisher.My full leg was on fire. My inner thighs were on fire...This does not happen often.:)

Last edited:
Jen - Good luck with Tracy Anderson . May be your review will surprise us all. Long ago, I tried her dance workout once, and switched it off after 10 minutes. She posed at the screen and danced without saying a word.

LOL No wonder you switched off after 10 minutes....Mind you 10 minutes is quite a lot to tolerate considering her cueing and knowledge reputation.:)

Ok. This was an emotionally tough workout week. Just wasn't in the mood and it was reflected in my workouts. I did Great Glutes and honestly didn't like it. It may have been my mood, but it had a bit of a dread factor. However, by that evening I was so sore in my glutes and
legs. I didn't enjoy it, but it got the job done. Flex Train is one of my favorites, but my mood wouldn't allow me to enjoy it.

@healing11 Hope you get your enthusiasm back very soon. :)
How about trying a new workout you really want to discover.
I do that sometimes when I feel my motivation is sliding down the hill:eek:

Last edited:
Well, that didn't shed much light, lol! The only other thing that comes to mind for the lighter muscle endurance example would be something like barre workouts, where you use light weights with high reps. In her latest article about barre workouts, I think she does mention that they don't have that metabolic effect. I would need to look at it again to remember exactly what she wrote.

@catwoman7631

Hope article below shed some lightIMHO. More muscles we have in our body, meaning a better body composition, more calories is required during the natural burning process. Without excercising.--- Muscle is metabolically a active tissue:):)This work and happen if everything else is fine --- Nutrition is fine: under-eating does slow metabolism, so does poor sleeping etc.....

http://cathe.com/what-effect-does-resistance-training-have-on-your-metabolism

http://cathe.com/how-your-metabolic-rate-changes-on-a-low-calorie-diet
http://cathe.com/barre-workouts-can-they-change-the-shape-of-your-body

Now how does this make barre less effective in terms of getting a better metabolic effect. Metabolic effect is the abilitity to huff and puff while muscle are working really hard --- That when my prefered meso 2 hypertrophy get handy! It is the winner LOL.

By the way--- Old school bodybuilding never used to do too much cardio and were solely relying on lifting the weight fast.;)
;) That is my understanding

Jodi while we are on this topic --- Barre. I have seen the upcoming pure barre workout combining conditioning drill with some dynamic moves for cardio. That look interested. Are they going to be sold as DVDs, online classes or as download? Please let me know on that.:):)

Last edited:
Does anyone know what is considered high intensity weight training? Any examples of Cathe's DVDs come to mind??? This is just an excerpt from one of Cathe's articles I was reading.

"We know that we lose muscle mass as we age and this reduces resting metabolic rate. One way to avoid this metabolic slow-down is to do resistance training to maximize metabolically-active lean body mass. In addition, some research shows heavy resistance training increases resting metabolic rate even after you finish doing it. Keep in mind this holds true for high-intensity weight training, not lighter muscle endurance workouts."

@healing11

Anything which maximise fat burning is good --- speed, speed, speed and speed. I would rather decrease a weight to execute the move with good form and fast. Slow motion time is good from time to shake things up but weight need to be lifted in good form and FAST.
Bodyweight stuff executed with good form and fast. Concurrent training, complex training are all intervals/circuit/ metabolic training ---just terminology but they are weight training program lifting at least over 70% one rep max.IMO

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/train...-jessie-h/high-intensity-interval-training-2/

Cathe has plenty weight training metabolic: STS meso 2, Muscle Max, STS Total, Pyramid, CLB, RwH LIHI and upperbody segments, afterburn, TTM with a challenging weight and lunging and squatting deeper, Lower body blast. The list is quite long. The key is to move from one exercise to another , tightening those second between sets keeping the heart rate in relevant zone.Those are my thoughts:):)

Ps: Sorry for being too long. Hope I have read all posts. if I missed out any please let me know. I love discussing stuff with you all. Have a great weekend:):)

Last edited:
Nathalie, I haven't viewed Meso 1 yet. I will have a couple of weeks off around Christmas and what I'd really like to do is preview at least Meso 1 during that time so I can prep for a round of STS. Hopefully I can find the time to do that because I really want to try it.

I did see the new workout style from Pure Barre and immediately asked them if there were plans for a DVD. They said right now, no, no plans. Bummer. :( It looks really interesting!

Greetings all,

Thanks to everyone for their insights regarding the article. Also, thanks Natalie for the link to the article. Hiit/Metabolic/Circuit/Intervals is really my favorite type of workouts. My body seems to respond best to those types of exercises. I just have to be very careful with my joints.

Here is my rotation for the past week. I was in a much better mood :)))

Day 1 Athletic Training Premix 2 (342)
Day 2 Crossfire Firewalker Tabata (155)
Day 3 Piyo Full Body Blast (251)
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 Crossfire Circuit Blast (353)
Day 6 X10 Step (329)
Day 7 Yoga Relax Express 1

I had a really good workout week. 3 hight impact days, one low impact, one yoga and one bodyweight workout. I've had Yoga Relax for a while but I just did it for the first time. It was indeed relaxing. Joints feel pretty good.

I kept a record of my calories and my I eat so much more when doing the metabolic workouts, definitely have to watch that next week.

Hope everyone had a great workout week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.