Body Beast

Didn't Cathe mention going heavy on shrugs gives you big traps? I don't remember which DVD it was, but that always freaked me out. Lol. I think there is a difference in how you train for females vs males though. I guess it depends what look you're going for. Do you think this will work if what I want is more an athletic build but not Bikini/Fitness look? Not that i think that would ever happen but I mean...no offense...not overly muscled?

Cathe talks about shrugs and trap size in Pure Strength. I just did a PS rotation so it's fresh in my mind! I've often wondered if she has a different opinion now since she seems to have shifted her weight training approach in more recent years. Can't say for sure one way or the other, though.

I agree that the aesthetics you are seeking influence how you want to train, but your body type and build also play a role. I am naturally lanky and it is very difficult for me to add muscle to my frame, so bulking or becoming "overly muscled" is not my problem! Body Beast definitely did not turn me into the Female Incredible Hulk, but nothing probably ever will! :eek: Plus I added more cardio than Sagi recommends, which is a factor as well.

But you might be totally different from me. Have you done other heavier weight programs before, like XTrain Burn Sets or Meso 3? What were the results? Did you bulk up? When you did P90X, were you following Tony and sticking with the 8-10 range or were you doing 15 reps with the other background exercisers? You are the best expert on your body and how it responds to different types of training.

Hi

Thank you both for taking the time to respond, it's highly appreciated.
I have done Burn sets ( which I really liked ) and that rotation was with LIS so there really wasn't any bulking.
I'm doing GS right now and took a week off after one month. Some slight impovement in the arms but I'm still trying to get rid of this fatty part near the arm pit. LOL too much info?
My co workers seem surprised though when I help them with lifts. I didn't think I was getting stronger ( my weights are pretty light ) but I guess for an Asian woman they found it was unusual. I didn't even notice.
What I'm surprised about though is GS Legs kills me and is so thorough, sometimes I think it's overkill...but my lower body still seems really skinny.
So far only Slow and Heavy Legs seems to work, but I have had it for ages and even though I like the length, it's nice to do something different.
I have tried Meso 1 only...I get ADD with it.
I dont enjoy bands.
P90X I did with running about 2 miles for cardio. 15 Rep counts lifting heavier than I usually do.
I really didn't like the broad shoulder look it gave me. It didn't look good on my 5'4" frame.
I'm aiming for bigger butt and less scawny legs and a leaner look to upper body. My Nephew says I may need to up the calories to build the lower body but he wasn't quite sure how that would work if I needed to lose upper body fat...

Last edited:
So you're the opposite to me! (I have gangly arms and solid legs!!!). Perhaps work on lats rather than shoulders for that armpit area (Cathe's lats look awesome in her early workouts). Keep to high rep / endurance for UB and go heavy on the legs 2x per week, plus one cardio-leg-blast-style w/o 1x - how about STS Meso #2, (legs only) as one of the heavy / bulking w/os?

EG:
Monday - STS legs meso#2
Tuesday - 4DS Low impact UB circuit
Wednesday - Slow & Heavy legs
Thursday - Althletic Training UB express
Friday - STS Plyo Legs

Sat / Sun - whatever you feel like, if you do more than 5 days per week. Maybe a metabolic?

That's the mirror image of what I'm doing (swapping UB/ LB)!!
Best of luck.

Justine, my legs are tired just looking at that rotation! Looks awesome.

Cupcake, it doesn't sound like you bulk easily, either. I'm really thinking that the triangle look you got from P90X is from those millions of pull-ups. So, in terms of body beast I don't think you'd bulk up on the program. But, given your goal to build leg strength and mass, maybe you should try out Cathe's Rock Bottoms rotation? It's a leg/glute focused rotation. Sounds perfect for what you're hoping to achieve. Plus, this way you can use many of the Cathe DVDs you probably already have instead of investing in an entirely new series.

Here's the link to the Rock Bottoms rotation

Good luck!

Lisa

I can vouch for the effectiveness of that Rock Bottom rotation. I just finished it and can see how it helped reshape my legs and butt. Of course, the focus is on the legs but there's just enough upper body work to keep everything toned while you work on the lower body. Very effective. Brutal, yes, but very effective. Haha!

Agree on Rock bottom rotation being (the first updated version) brutally effective. Gained good result. I love it

Last edited:
Agree on Rock bottom rotation being (the first updated version) brutally effective. Gained good result. I love it

Next rotation then as I try to type with an arm that can hardly move after doing Chest and Tri from the Beast! Have you guys tried them yet? The elbows refused to bend and some point! it started off looking fairly typical of a Male workout ( except that guy is cute ) until the arms really did not want to move anymore! lol.

He isn't annoying even if he keeps saying he's gonna Beast me up....( maybe because he looks yummy ) but at one point I laughed and couldn't press the barbell up. It was when he was counting and said," Ha! The Beast can count backwards!"

Anyway...I ache. This looks like a really good program

I have severe plantar faciitis and need to be OFF my feet so cardio is out. I'm going to do a full Body Beast rotation with just the 1 day cardio. I have previewed some of the workouts and I can't wait. Tomorrow, Sunday 8/10/14, I am starting.

Hoping for some excellent results with very limited cardio and heavy weight training.

Denise

All of the guys are pretty hot in Body Beast especially Nick. With the exception of maybe Omar from Atletica, he's easily one of the hottest guys I've ever seen in a fitness video. Anyway, I think Body Beast is really the only Beach Body program that I highly recommend. I'm pretty much neh on their other offerings.

Hi, For his Legs workout, are you guys able to do the step ups to reverse lunge sets without resting? What about the Bulgarian split squats? I know we're not supposed to rest between sets but my HR was up with the step ups. You know how sometimes you come across reviews where they criticize the music, the set, or maybe hats in a workout? This workout had me so busy trying to make it through my reps that it made me realize I didn't notice anything at all about the set. Except the odd times when I'd go," Damn he looks good doing that lunge!" Lol.

Just finished Back and Biceps...there wasn't a single db or weight plate left unused in my collection! Even the one lb. ankle weights had to be put to work to help with one lb. increases! I liked it a lot!

Last edited:
I just finished Back & Biceps (day 3) and already feel it. I love everything about this set, the length, moves, progressions. I am hoping that the heavy weights in the new HiiT weight workouts are similar to this.

I love weight training and this set is awesome! I am grateful to have gotten it at such a great price too!

Does anyone know when Cathe begins filming Hiit? I'd love to hear more about the weight workouts.

Denise,
loving the Beast

I just finished Back & Biceps (day 3) and already feel it. I love everything about this set, the length, moves, progressions. I am hoping that the heavy weights in the new HiiT weight workouts are similar to this.

OMG I did back and bis on sunday and my beasty biceps are sure hurting LOL!!:p Can't wait for Cathe's new DVD's
Jamie

I'm 2 days in and confess to easing in. Last week, in prep, I was so sore after leg day I couldn't get in or out of the car in less than a minute with audible groans! Most of leg day today was without weights as it seems the stretching involved with lunge type movements is tough on me, so to avoid being a cripple I thought discretion is the better part of valor!! Tomorrow is back and bi...looking forward to it!!

Ok, that does it. First week of September, I'm starting Beast.
I hope you like it! I'm definitely feeling happy that I got it at that price, thank you enablers! Thought about either adding extra cardio today or doing shoulders after the Cardio and Abs but decided not to. Figured let's see how the body feels after a week of his rotation first. I do feel achy and in need of a good easy stretch. I was glad his cardio wasn't crazy. So far I like how he planned out the week. It does seem the body parts could take it, the way he laid it out. I think it's funny that the programs I find really good are the under promoted ones from that company. I really like Les Mills Combat and this one! After a month of GS and almost a week of this I have noticed a difference in my arms and hips. I notice the difference in how the tee shirts look right at the muffin top area tonight. I'm an apple so the hips disappear rather quickly on me, as much as I would like to have curves there. The good thing though is clothes are looking better. Nutrition has been cleaner though it's a hit and miss. One day I under ate and yesterday I ate too much. But My Fitness pal makes checking the macro ratios so much easier. Been eating 1900-2000 calories.
At first i was worried about that suggested calorie intake, but so far I haven't gained and l like how my arms are looking this week :)

Last edited:
I am loving this program! I did Legs 2 days ago. While doing it I thought...this isn't so bad and followed it up with Tabatas 1 & 2 from Tabatacise. Yesterday, some soreness. Today...I'm groaning every time I sit or squat down! Serious DOMS! I love working with heavy weights and now I really can't wait for the new Cathe series to get here!!

Catwoman sharing your pain. After doing Legs 2 earlier this week, I also thought this is not so bad and had some extra time, so I did the Advance Express 30 minute P57, using not a playground ball, but a 4 # Medicine Ball. DOMS the nx day!

Second week into the program and the one thing I noticed was the body looks tighter! I know they dont like to use the word tone but that's the best word that comes to mind. The arms are definitely coming along and the love handles are shrinking. My appetite is soaring though!
I decided to tack on a 12 minute workout from Bodyrock and tried a Reebok workout. I enjoyed the Bodyrock routine but the Reebok was a waste of time. I didn't have the patience for shuffle and jack and hamstring curl....

I'm finishing up week 2 and I feel stronger and tighter as well. (just brought this up to hubby yesterday) I am so loving this program!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.