Barack Obama is President of the United States of America

This might is off the topic of the thread title but . .

Who will Bush pardon?? If there is one thing he has done right is that he hasn't given a pass to many people. I hope that does not change.

I am thinking that two of them will be the border patrol agents who were convicted of manslaugter.

Oh Baylian:D! How about letting Karl Rove slide on the lies that he perpetrated (and Cheney, and Rumsfeld, and...)? How about the commutation of "Scooter" Libby's sentence? There is actually a long list of people George Bush has already pardoned. I just googled it.

Carrie

One thing I am still puzzling over is why people vote against their own economic interests. As someone who makes a living helping the rich keep more of what they have, I can tell you that the Republicans made it easier than ever for the rich to get richer over the last 8 years. Anyone who makes less than $250,000 per year and has assets not exceeding $4M who voted Republican, strictly from an economic perspective, was voting against their own pocketbook. Yet, for some reason that leaves me scratching my head, the less wealthy the county, the more red it went.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a lot of misinformation out there, or a lot of people voting their religious beliefs instead of their pocketbooks. But when you think about it, the government has a lot more control over your pocketbook than it does over your faith. <Shrug>. I just don't get it.

****Applause****

neighbors of the north,canadians, i am glad to hear your positives on your healthcare system. dh and i have been war of words b/c his claim is he has talked to ppl there that say its horrid while i have heard nothing but good here. i guess eye of the beholder!

although i am not for socialize medicine something has to be done b/c higher premiums and lack of care under certain insurances or really keeping alot of ppl without insurance.i am not sure anybody has the answers to fix this. either way ppl are going to be unhappy but i hope at least something is done to try to make it better.

i worry about tax cuts as well b/c while i know i would benefit a little, it would hurt programs in my country. my taxes do cover salaries of police and fire fighters. and heck we NEED them. i think really looking at spending and picking through things with a fine tooth comb will help a bit. maybe they can find where money is being wasted. its just hard to be just trying to keep up!

as somebody said no matter what things were not going to get better overnight and the prez can only do so much.

remember a man with a vision not a magic wand.

kassia

Oh Baylian:D! How about letting Karl Rove slide on the lies that he perpetrated (and Cheney, and Rumsfeld, and...)? How about the commutation of "Scooter" Libby's sentence? There is actually a long list of people George Bush has already pardoned. I just googled it.

Carrie

Well Rove, Cheney and Rumsfeld have not been convicted of any crime within our courts that I know of so this really does not apply to them.

Scooter Libby did cross my mind.

Let's put it this way - can't be any worse than who Clinton pardoned. There were some real "winners" there . . .

Carrie I think you are dead on. The middle class deserves a tax break but I don't see how it can happen. Even if nothing is added (hah!) the cost of current programs will do nothing but climb over the next few months/years. I don't believe raising taxes on 2 percent of the population will result in enough money to fund all these programs.

What we need to do as a nation is understand that sacrifices will need to be made.

Sparrow

ITA! I would love for President-Elect Obama to be frank with the American people. I don't care if he talks to us like we are children since many of us need it explained...we can not have everything we want right now. It is going to take a lot of time and hard work to get us back on the right track. Americans (and many other country's citizens) have become a materialistic society of "I want it and I want it now." That is why many of us, including me, are in debt up to our eyeballs! I REALLY wish I knew then what I know now! I would have never gotten a credit card. I would have done without!

Sorry, this got off topic a little but I am hopeful that Obama and his team of advisors can set us straight in our thinking.

Carrie

Well Rove, Cheney and Rumsfeld have not been convicted of any crime within our courts that I know of so this really does not apply to them.

Scooter Libby did cross my mind.

Let's put it this way - can't be any worse than who Clinton pardoned. There were some real "winners" there . . .

Not yet they haven't;)! That is a good question actually...I bought into the whole WMD argument hook, line, and sinker. I was totally on board with invading Iraq. Saddam is evil, yadda, yadda... We now know that it was all lies. Why is no one being held accountable? Clinton was impeached by the House for lying about sex but the current administration has not been held accountable for leading our great nation into war when it was all based on fabrications.

I guess this is why I do not ally myself with either party. I don't like what either do. Can I join the cookie Libertarian party:p???

Carrie

Not yet they haven't;)! That is a good question actually...I bought into the whole WMD argument hook, line, and sinker. I was totally on board with invading Iraq. Saddam is evil, yadda, yadda... We now know that it was all lies. Why is no one being held accountable? Clinton was impeached by the House for lying about sex but the current administration has not been held accountable for leading our great nation into war when it was all based on fabrications.

I guess this is why I do not ally myself with either party. I don't like what either do. Can I join the cookie Libertarian party:p???

Carrie

YES YOU CAN!! C'mon over and munch on Ron! :D

YAY! I'm so excited for our future. I'm excited for the future of my children!!! I was in tears last night. DH and I were holding hands right before they announced that he won. We were both laughing and cheering!

I cried during his speech. Truly, truly a moment I'll never forget.

I saw some pictures of reactions from people from around the globe and I am in awe! Just amazing!

Can I just tell you that I'm going to treasure this picture always?
This is a picture of my husband with Mr. Obama. This was taken when he was in my home town during the time he was running for the U.S. Senate, in October 2004.

We had JUST gotten home from our honeymoon in Mexico. Scott (DH) was sick as a dog but wanted to meet Barack Obama. He just happened to be driving by and saw that he was there. He stopped to see if he could meet him. Barack went to shake Scott's hand but Scott didn't want to get him sick. He said to Mr. Obama that he'd feel terrible if he got him sick. Then DH said to him, "How about we just bump elbows?" He didn't know there would be anyone taking a picture. We later found this picture on the Obama for Illinois website. Then we found out that this picture had been used in some ads and some campaign brochures too. It was even flashed for a quick second on the Today show!! My cousin got one of the brochures in the mail and called us freaking out. :)

We also especially love this picture because it is in our hometown and where I grew up. So special! Last night DH was saying, "I can't believe I bumped elbows with our next President of the United States!" :D

Not only did he bump elbows with him, he made Mr. Obama SMILE! :D

I know a bunch of people who were at the rally last night in Grant Park. I so wish I could have been there!

ScottandBarackObama.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great picture, Dani!!!!

I am with you, I also teared up during Obama's speech, as did both my kids who watched it with me.

Can I just tell you that I'm going to treasure this picture always?
This is a picture of my husband with Mr. Obama. This was taken when he was in my home town during the time he was running for the U.S. Senate, in October 2004.

We had JUST gotten home from our honeymoon in Mexico. Scott (DH) was sick as a dog but wanted to meet Barack Obama. He just happened to be driving by and saw that he was there. He stopped to see if he could meet him. Barack went to shake Scott's hand but Scott didn't want to get him sick. He said to Mr. Obama that he'd feel terrible if he got him sick. Then DH said to him, "How about we just bump elbows?" He didn't know there would be anyone taking a picture. We later found this picture on the Obama for Illinois website. Then we found out that this picture had been used in some ads and some campaign brochures too. It was even flashed for a quick second on the Today show!! My cousin got one of the brochures in the mail and called us freaking out. :)

We also especially love this picture because it is in our hometown and where I grew up. So special! Last night DH was saying, "I can't believe I bumped elbows with our next President of the United States!" :D

Not only did he bump elbows with him, he made Mr. Obama SMILE! :D

I know a bunch of people who were at the rally last night in Grant Park. I so wish I could have been there!

How Cool!!!

Great pic Dani! My only brush with "political royalty" was shaking hands with Jeb Bush when I was stationed in Florida:rolleyes:.

Carrie

Dani I got chills reading your post and seeing that picture! How awesome and something for you to treasure forever for sure!!

Dani, I remember seeing that picture from your photo trail a year or so ago....how cool!!!:cool:

ETA, I sat next to now Governor Tim Kaine when he was mayor of Richmond. He lives in our neighborhood (well, not right now, since he lives in the Governor's Mansion). And Doug Wilder and Mark Warner are seen around a lot...Richmond's not that big, I guess. Just ask Karl Rove, who thinks that being mayor of my city is not as difficult or as important as being the mayor of Wassila (sp?)!!!!

Last edited:
Oh! Way way back in the early 60's my mom, a pretty blonde former model raced to the airport to meet RFK - he made a bee-line over to her, and shook my hand (I was about 18 months old) and contrary to his wolf image, he told my mom, "Have I got a good looking boy for her!" (meaning RFK JR.), and said he hoped he could count on my mom's vote...so that was one............then, Nelson Rockefeller used to fly out of Albany and my grandpa would take me to see the planes on weekends...and Rocky took a fancy to my macho Italian grandpa showing up with a little blond girl every week, and took time to learn my grandfather's name and would yell, "hey Mike," when he'd be taking off in his jet..........OH!!!!!!! I took Christie Whitman's blood pressure when she was in the hospital and I was moonlighting...she would've been the right VP pick for McCain....
Barack was at our local airport in Newport News and my neighbor got a picture with him (he works there)....and he's going to use photoshop to morph me into the picture to make it look like I met him......does that count????
AND I had a papal audience with JohnPaul II when I was a student in Rome..he came out to hear a little kid choir and my pal and I were just sitting on the steps and he came over and gave us a cross-blessing and said "Que Bella!"..........
So, I'm kind of the Forrest Gump of meeting politicians and Popes!

Last edited:
Is anyone else worried about Obama's safety? I know he's going to have secret service people, but there are some crazy people in this world.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.