anxiety meds

Hi Kim,

I take Xanas for anxiety. Very low dose 2.5 MG, and try to get a way with 1/2 a pill when possible. What I like about Xanas is, that you take it when you need it, unlike other meds that you have to take on a daily basis. I find it works well for me.

Does anyone take these on a regular basis?

Oh crap, I kinda didn't want to answer this but thought I should if it helps someone else. Obviously the answer is YES. (and I like them)
I have had an anxiety disorder since I was 18 and really needed some help.
I have 2 little boys with serious health issues and a husband who travels a lot. Sometimes I get overwhelmed and talk to a therapist and that helps. Other times only the medicine will make it bearable.

It's not for everyone and you should work with a good pyschiatrist/therapist to see what's right for you.

elliemom

I've used Lexapro when my depression was more anxiety ridden. It was wonderful, but did eventually quit working. I then moved to Wellbutrin, which is also amazing. I managed to go off it from April thru this week, but should've re-started 1st of Sept. I saw my doctor yesterday and I'm going back on for the winter. I've also combined Prozac with Wellbutrin which also worked, but I felt stupid that I needed so much medication. I t helped me survive though, at the time I wasn't eating or sleeping and having almost daily panic attacks. I've found you just have to see what works best for your current body chemistry.

Becky

There should be absolutely no shame in taking this sort of medication. I have Lexapro but have some sort of anxiety problem about taking medication (no kidding) so have never taken it. It probably isn't even good anymore. Some catch-22 I am in, huh??

There should be absolutely no shame in taking this sort of medication. I have Lexapro but have some sort of anxiety problem about taking medication (no kidding) so have never taken it. It probably isn't even good anymore. Some catch-22 I am in, huh??

I used to have that to. I was too axious to take the medicine for anxiety!!
After enough suffering though, I gave in and am so glad I did.
elliemom

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who suffers from anxiety and shame regarding taking meds for depression and anxiety. :eek: I've started many different ones over the years and didn't follow through. The last ones I took (for the longest period of time) were Prozac and Buspar. Sometimes I wonder if it's some form of self sabotage. DH has always told me that he sees a big improvement in me when I'm taking them but I guess I'm always in denial that they will actually "fix me." Sounds ridiculous I know. :confused:

Last edited:
Well thanks eveyone for replying. I certainly didn't want to put anyone in an uncomfortable position. But it seems to me anyway that anxiety is a more common problem than once thought. I personally keep a supply of Ativan around at all times. Sometimes I don't take any for weeks. Sometimes I take 2 per day. It just depends. Thanks again!

I was on Cymbalta for anxiety and depression about 1.5 years ago. I too was embarrassed until I was at a chicks-night-out and found out that everyone at the table was on something.

My point is - YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

I was on Cymbalta for anxiety and depression about 1.5 years ago. I too was embarrassed until I was at a chicks-night-out and found out that everyone at the table was on something.

My point is - YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Buspar and Zoloft every day since 2000, no problem admitting it, don't feel any less of a person because I take them, nor should anyone who needs to take meds, for any ailment, be ashamed to admit taking them. I never understood this concept, I never will understand this.

The first person who comes up to me and says they think less of me for taking them reveals more about themselves than me with that kind of statement.

Buspar and Zoloft every day since 2000, no problem admitting it, don't feel any less of a person because I take them, nor should anyone who needs to take meds, for any ailment, be ashamed to admit taking them. I never understood this concept, I never will understand this.

The first person who comes up to me and says they think less of me for taking them reveals more about themselves than me with that kind of statement.

Amen!!

I have struggled with anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember. I currently take Zoloft (on meds for about 3 years now) and feel significantly better but I am sure that my doctors and I haven't *completely* figured it out yet. I am hopeful that we will, though...

Amen!!

I have struggled with anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember. I currently take Zoloft (on meds for about 3 years now) and feel significantly better but I am sure that my doctors and I haven't *completely* figured it out yet. I am hopeful that we will, though...

Well, Katie...you're doing something right because the person I met at the RT seemed normal to me...well, except for the crying fit brought on by excessive laughter during the scrapple incident!!!

Keep doing what you are doing!!!

Exercise is the greatest, most natural anti-anxiety and anti-depression drug there is, and Cathe is quite the doctor in that regard!

Well, Katie...you're doing something right because the person I met at the RT seemed normal to me...well, except for the crying fit brought on by excessive laughter during the scrapple incident!!!

Keep doing what you are doing!!!

Exercise is the greatest, most natural anti-anxiety and anti-depression drug there is, and Cathe is quite the doctor in that regard!

LMAO, thank you Jer-Bear!! Yes, there was quite a bit of silliness going on at my table Sunday morning!! You should have heard the giggle fest at 2 am the night before in my hotel room with my *clean & tidy* ladies -- it was out of control!

But seriously, thank you for what you said. It means a lot!

No, you are not alone! I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder about eight years ago. I declined meds but worked with a wonderful LCSW for a couple of years. However, I would not hesitate to take meds if the anxiety became debilitating.

Sparrow

The type that I have usually responds well to medication. It is most definitely a chemical imbalance. I know this because the beginning of my severe episode occured in Disney World!!!!!!!! If it had happened in the dead of winter, I could have possibly shrugged it off to a seasonal disorder.

For it to occur in Disney sent off major warning bells!!! Meds and exercise, or should I say exercise and meds have helped put me back together again...I'll never be without either of them for as long as I breathe!!

Like others, I really dislike the idea of taking a drug to deal with help deal with anxiety/depression. Exercise and talking with friends work better than anything for me, but in the last several years I've been impelled by job stress to try different drugs. Researching the choices is very important, on both legitimate medical sites and on forums for people with anxiety/depression. Each person is different in responding to a drug or drug combination.

I tried St. John's Wort and 4 kinds of prescription drugs over several years. I couldn't tell a difference with St. John's wort though many people can. The prescribed drugs had side effects that I couldn't tolerate and some didn't help at all. What I take now is SAMe, a supplement, and can really tell a difference if I stop taking it. I also take a low dose of Wellbutrin, which makes me a little impatient at times, but improves my overall mood.

I highly recommend a book called Mad in America, just to encourage a scepticism of the pharmaceutical industry. Many drugs have worked no better for anxiety and depression than placebos in studies.

If I may say, from the perspective of being in my 60's, is that the best treatment for anxiety is to eliminate as many anxiety-producing elements of our lives as possible and replace them with calm and rewarding activities. Or just leave empty space, meandering time. People get so loaded up with things that aren't really important.

I lurk here a lot but I have to post on this one. I have GAD, panic and dysthymia, meds got me functional, I eased off and maintained with cognitive therapy for a while then got into a cycle when I had a crash in both my personal and professional life, I had to go back on, which I wasn't happy about, but it sure makes my quality of life better and those in my household are much happier :) I agree with taking them when you need them - they make a big difference - I carry ativan for "as needed" and am currently on an antidepressent, if I wasn't I would have swings of not wanting to get out of bed and brush my hair to nonstop everything until explosion. I am glad the meds are there.

What is wrong with taking medication to help you feel better?

Anxiety attacks are not fun! Theres a lot of people taking medication for anxiety these days, many many more that have actually admitted to it here. Not One of you should feel emabarresed or ashamed.

I am actually going to a doctor tomorrow morning to see about taking drugs.

I have suffered from depression for YEARS but have refused to take drugs because I always felt that if I tried hard enough, I could change things. And honestly, in most cases, I could. It takes a lot of hard work and many attitude adjustments, but improvements can be made. And to say I'm not a fan of the pharmaceutical companies is a major understatement.....

Lately, however, I am in the midst of severe panic attacks, absolutely NO SLEEP, constant anxiety, and depression. I honestly think that if I give it time, I will see an improvement naturally, especially since I mostly know why it is happening, however, I cannot function anymore on no sleep and constant panic attacks. I simply will not live like this anymore and I want to start feeling better NOW. I plan very much on still making the changes in my life necessary to correct the actual problems, but in the meantime, I need to feel like a human being again and start to enjoy this life while I have it.

I've also learned that in times of trauma and prolonged emotional upset, that the chemical imbalances can "come out of nowhere." Based on my family history, I figure I'm prone to it and hopefully I will respond for now. My mother has successfully used drugs to help her through these kinds of times and also very successfully weaned herself off when she felt it had been long enough. She was drug-free for 20 years before the next time she needed them again.

I've been taking Paxil every day of my life since I was 16. I'm a disaster without it.

Recently I talked to my therapist about maybe trying to change medications. I've been on Paxil for so long and since I was so young that I'm not even sure I know what I would be like without it! I've tried twice before to taper off of Paxil and had disastrous results. It is (one of) the most addictive medications out there. When I tried to taper off of it (you have to taper veeeerrrryyy slowely) I became violently ill and my anxiety was through the roof. One time I tried tapering with no other medication, another time I added in Wellbutrin at the same time. Both times I was very sick, anxious, and depressed.

I started seeing a new LCSW recently and she's amazing. She has me tapering off the Paxil and adding in Cymbalta and I feel GREAT! I am still in shock at how great I feel. I'm a little anxious but I think that's just due to current stressors in my life that have recently popped up. Cymbalta is working beautifully for me.

Anxiety and depression run in my family BIG time. It's not something I can manage without drugs and I have ZERO shame in that. You gotta do what works, right?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.