Not judging, just curious

I totally agree Carola. I wasn't going to talk about how I personally felt about the issue, but I honestly have no problem with gay marriage. I feel it's their decision. I do respect those who feel it is morally wrong as this is how I was raised to believe as well. I have a very close friend though who was kicked out of a religious school for being a lesbian. I remember her wishing she wasn't the way she was and crying her eyes out over the fact that she would never have her dad give her away at her wedding or even get married at all. She was taught to think she was evil and dirty and "damaged". It took her years to pull herself together after that whole situation. I've really struggled with how I felt about the whole morality issue since then. At the end of the day though, she is my friend and whether I agree with her lifestyle or not, I would be there in a heartbeat if she ever needed me to stand up with her at her wedding. And I'm not going to judge her because that is not my place. All I can do is love her and be her friend. Ok, now I'm rambling....

When it boils down to it - marriage is a legal contract between two people (ask anyone that has been divorced about that one if you dont agree:p) - and having that contract allows for certain rights and benefits that others without that marriage "contract" can have.

Who am I or anyone else to judge who can have or not have that contract. If two people love each other and want to make that contract with each other - they should be allowed to. I have many gay friends and love them dearly and would never think they were lesser of citizens and not entitled to the same rights I have.

The whole Prop 8 is such a fiasco.... You would think in times where we can see our first Black president that we could let people be free to love and marry whom they wish.

Yep. Melissa Etheridge said something on Oprah to the effect that the government denies her civil rights but has no problem taking her tax dollars. Really wrong, when you think about it. The hostility toward gay people is rooted in ignorance but the legal implications for gay couples are devastating. For instance, two gay people can be a couple for many years, living together as if in a marriage and raising children. Then one partner dies and that person's parents can swoop down and steel the children away from the remaining partner, utterly against the wishes of their dead child. Perfectly legal, yet tragic for everyone, all because of ignorance and bitterness. As far as I'm concerned, marriage is between human beings who are of legal age and not related to one another. Any couples falling within those parameters are a go as far as I'm concerned.

That said, If I have to hear about That Silly A*s, Tom Beatie, one more time I'm going to puke. He/she's had his/her 15 minutes. Enough, already!

Last edited:
Hurting a child is wrong. Slavery is wrong. That is black and white.

Some religions say eating meat is a sin.

Jainism goes to the extent of saying harming insects is a sin and depriving a plant of life is a sin (Jains dont eat root vegetables because the plant is killed in havesting the crop).

The Quran permits a man to have 4 wives.

For the most part people who are born into a particular religion are taught what is sin from an impressionable age.

Consensual sex between adults? I cant see sin there. I believe that people dont choose their sexual orientation. It is far easier to be straight so given a choice that is what most people would do. That is my belief.

I truly believe in other people's right to believe as they do.

With some questions, everyone's conscience does not always come up with the same answer.

Therein lies the conflict - how do we resolve these questions?

Well said.

ETA: If the best argument on your side is a 2,000+-year old document (that was written by a smattering of different people, then translated, re-translated, and re-re-translated into hundreds of languages by millions of different people) to refute gay marriage becoming law, maybe you should reconsider your position. Ever hear of the game Telephone? (Also, I'm a translator by trade, and I know how screwed up translations can be if you have someone re-translate the same document repeatedly.)

MC

Not really a smattering of different people--really a smattering of old white dudes who never had sex. ;)

P.S. Maryland was settled by Catholics trying to excape religious persecution in Protestant England. It didn't work (apparently not enough Catholics to support the new colony :p), but that's how it started.

Biologically speaking, it does not make any sense to me. As a woman, I will always want to be with a man because, damn it, I am made for a man! If there is that "missing component" then what is the point? Yes, sex is very important to me and strapping on "a toy" is not gonna do it for me and so I gotta wonder how it would work for another, but then I don't like to really go there. As for men and men, well that causes a whole different can of worms when we get into the medical aspects of why this should not be.

Biologically speaking, it does not make any sense to me. As a woman, I will always want to be with a man because, damn it, I am made for a man! If there is that "missing component" then what is the point? Yes, sex is very important to me and strapping on "a toy" is not gonna do it for me and so I gotta wonder how it would work for another, but then I don't like to really go there. As for men and men, well that causes a whole different can of worms when we get into the medical aspects of why this should not be.

Only if one assumes that being gay is a conscious choice or lifestyle.

That being said it is not all about sex why people are attracted to each other and choose to spend their life together. I would think that applies to most people, heterosexuals as well as homosexuals and the medical aspect of it, if there is any, may not be on the forefront of their mind.

Last edited:
Only if one assumes that being gay is a conscious choice or lifestyle.

That being said it is not all about sex why people are attracted to each other and choose to spend their life together. I would think that applies to most people, heterosexuals as well as homosexuals and the medical aspect of it, if there is any, may not be on the forefront of their mind.

Well I think if they love one another that one would want to express such feelings in their lifestyle. Seems like a natural thing that would occur in a most unnatural way, in my opinion.

Well I think if they love one another that one would want to express such feelings in their lifestyle. Seems like a natural thing that would occur in a most unnatural way, in my opinion.

Hmmm, maybe so. On the other hand I am sure there are some heterosexuals who express their feelings in a most unnatural way.

All of that misses the point though. What does it have to with homosexuals getting the same rights that you or I have? Are they supposed to getting denied equal rights just because you, I or anyone else doesn't understand, disapproves or disagrees with their "lifestyle".

There are some heterosexuals whose lifestyle I certainly do not approve of or don't understand.

I prefer when people express themselves, however they see fit, in the privacy of their own homes so as to keep the unwanted mental paintbrushes in the box ;)

I heard/read/watched somewhere more than a few times, that being a homosexual person is maybe in some peoples genes, it's not a choice. It's like trying to change our eye color, skin color, body type, little or big, tall or short...

Can't imagine what the fuss is all about. We should be able to be ourselves.

I try hard not to be judgmental because that is not my job. What I do is try to understand the uncommon/differences of one another. I try hard not to be shallow/ignorant, because I might miss something important in life.

I guess it takes awhile. It took America awhile to understand the different races, religion, heritage, culture...when we put them together/melting pot, it's remarkable.

Until scientists can repair the genes, maybe in autism, homosexuality, schizophrenia, manic depression, down syndrome...runs in families, we will have to deal with all these differences the best we know how and learn.

Janie
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Until scientists can repair the genes, maybe in autism, homosexuality, schizophrenia, manic depression, down syndrome...runs in families, we will have to deal with all these differences the best we know how and learn.

Homosexuality is a birth defect? Now I've heard it all.

Hmmm, maybe so. On the other hand I am sure there are some heterosexuals who express their feelings in a most unnatural way.

All of that misses the point though. What does it have to with homosexuals getting the same rights that you or I have? Are they supposed to getting denied equal rights just because you, I or anyone else doesn't understand, disapproves or disagrees with their "lifestyle".

There are some heterosexuals whose lifestyle I certainly do not approve of or don't understand.

Maybe the point is being missed. Like when our tax dollars are being used to treat Aids and such. Why should I have to pay???

TeTe, I can't believe you said that.

Our Genetic makeup does not imply a birth defect, not anymore than my blue eyes are a birth defect or one brown eye and one blue eye.

Quoted from Medline Plus.

Birth Defects
A birth defect is a problem that happens while a baby is developing in the mother's body. Most birth defects happen during the first 3 months of pregnancy. One out of every 33 babies in the United States is born with a birth defect.
A birth defect may affect how the body looks, works or both. Some birth defects like cleft lip or neural tube defects are structural problems that can be easy to see. To find others, like heart defects, doctors use special tests. Birth defects can vary from mild to severe. Some result from exposures to medicines or chemicals. For example, alcohol abuse can cause fetal alcohol syndrome. Infections during pregnancy can also result in birth defects. For most birth defects, the cause is unknown.
Some birth defects can be fatal. Babies with birth defects may need surgery or other medical treatments. Today, doctors can diagnose many birth defects in the womb. This enables them to treat or even correct some problems before the baby is born.

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Last edited:
Maybe the point is being missed. Like when our tax dollars are being used to treat Aids and such. Why should I have to pay???

Are you saying AIDS only effects homosexuals??? Or was brought on by homosexuals???

And I don't know how our tax $$$$ would pay for treating AIDS, last time I checked we didn't have free health care in the US.

Last edited:
Perhaps you meant you don't want to pay for AIDS research.

So should thin fit people not pay taxes that might go to Type 2 Diabetes research since they may not have that health concern? What about heart disease? Or colorectal cancer? Or melanoma? I don't eat a lot of saturated fat. I get plenty of fiber. I wear sunscreen. All of those diseases can be attributed to "lifestyle choices." Why should I pay for that?

Come to think of it: maybe those of us who don't commit crimes shouldn't have to pay for correctional facilities. Let's just tax criminals for that. :rolleyes:

Oooohhh, I didn't realize that only homosexuals and transsexuals were affected by AIDS. Huh, I must have missed that fact in all of the news stories, documentaries, and research that has been done.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.