XTrain 90 Day Undulating Rotation

Hi Buneknek I am not sure if it is good or not to do the 100 rep with burn sets, i guess it would be but it really would be a burn for sure! I have only doen the scarecrow and the hip thrust and rear delts, i did the rear delts i think on the burn stes not sure.. Hope you are habing a good day!!

Amcad
nice on All out hitt high impact? ouch! lol good for you and i know you will enjoy the rest day, and dont worry about the binge as long as you dont do it often.

Hi Renee,
Congrats on pushing through today and getting your workout in. It's hard sometimes, and I think you can feel even more proud of yourself because you accomplished your goal today. You have true grit!

I have heard others on this forum say that if they absolutely don't want to workout, they at least get started. If for whatever reason, they absolutely cannot bring themselves to persevere, then at least they tried. However, it seems 9 times out of 10, once we get started, we just keep going. I try to take that advice and it's been true for me. And maybe once or twice a year when I decide to stop, I do and don't feel too badly about it.

If you think eating before bed is sabotaging your results, then try changing it up for a few weeks and seeing what happens. I am minimizing my daily glass of wine now to see if that matters. I've done this before and did not notice any weight loss, but I figured I'd try again to see what happens. If nothing else, at least I save a few bucks a week on my grocery bill not buying a bottle of wine.

Raciela, I do the 100 reps on burn set days and find that the advantage is that I'll actually get DOMS. If I don't add them on, then I don't really get that sore. So for me, I see them as an advantage. That said, I added them on yesterday after bis and tris and no DOMS today, but last week it took two days to get sore, so maybe I'll get "lucky" tomorrow.;)

Eva

Wow everybody are active here today:)
Instead of All out low impact I ran 6miles on my TM while watching biggest loser (recorded). My biceps & brachioradialis were sore but not so much of triceps I think I was really tired after the biceps that I was not able to go very high with My triceps. Tomorrow is HS premix 12 I'm excited to do it since I havent done it for 2weeks.

Hi Everyone!
I hope you've had a great Wedneday so far! I haven't been on in a few days. I did Legs the other day and did something to my back the next day. Even thought that happened, I'm starting to like that workout (wasn't my favorite before). So, with the back stuff going on, I'm hesitant to do Low Impact HITT. I'll see how far I get.

Feeling a difference with XTRAIN! Not so much the weight, but definately the toning.

aw, renee, thank you! you made my day! you are very pretty as well! yes, that is rik-- or the guy who keeps me up at night with his snoring1:p some days are hard, aren't they? (actually, some weeks are hard!) i do always feel better for keeping up with it, though. i think you may be right about eating at night. what i always learned was to stop eating by 7 or 8 (if possible, which is not always the case) so that your body is resting at night instead of digesting. i try to stick with this when i am able, but always end up with late dinners when the kids have concerts and lessons going on, and friday nights rik and i always have movie night with popcorn and nutritional yeast (yum!). way to go, today! oh, and thank you for offering to be an ear with my mom. i am sure you will hear plenty from me. some days it really gets me down and some days i am okay, but it is an awful disease to be dealing with. thanks again.

swimming3-- me too! i think i feel the toning in my muscles but am pretty sure i haven't lost anything. i am stronger, though!:D

buneknek-- wow! you are logging the miles! way to go!

eva-- no DOMS here after doing the same thing-- none yet, anyway! maybe tomorrow...

good night everybody.

Katied- yes I do log my miles I'm training for a half marathon which is the end of march.
Eva- I know what you mean about starting to get bored with the rotation, I'm feeling the same way so I was thinking maybe inserting STS here in there.

Hi everyone!

I haven't been checking in because I switched to Jamie Eason's Live Fit. I'm trying to gain muscle and Jamie's program is designed to do that. I plan to revisit XTrain after another round of STS. I'm thinking about combining XTrain and STS. :cool:

Renee, I'm so sorry you are frustrated with your fat loss journey. I wanted to chime in here because I've been where you are....low calorie dieting will spiral you into a really bad place fast, and this is especially true for women over 40. Your calories are too low for your body weight and exercise program. When we eat a low calorie diet combined with heavy exercise, our body goes into survival mode. It's not starvation mode, it's survival. It will hang on to fat for survival. So low calories, heavy cardio actually works against you.
A woman's metabolism shuts down twice as fast as a man because God created us to carry body fat. I know it's not fair, but the fat is there to protect us because we give birth and feed babies! Food can regulate our hormones or mess them up bad! I don't know if you remember me posting something several posts back about fat intake. If you go too low, it messes with a woman's hormones.

Here is a video explaining what happens when you eat low calories combined with cardio. He is talking about figure competitors, but this applies to women who eat a very low calorie diet. He also talks about why too much cardio is not a good approach.
BioLayne Video Log 9 - Metabolic Damage - YouTube

You may have to bite the bullet so to speak and eat more to reset your metabolism. I would suggest making sure your calorie counting is correct, and slowly increase your daily food intake by 100 calories a day and increase weekly until you are where you should be. Make sure the food is whole and not processed. Your body will do what you ask if you are fueling it correctly.

Hi everyone!

I haven't been checking in because I switched to Jamie Eason's Live Fit. I'm trying to gain muscle and Jamie's program is designed to do that. I plan to revisit XTrain after another round of STS. I'm thinking about combining XTrain and STS. :cool:

Renee, I'm so sorry you are frustrated with your fat loss journey. I wanted to chime in here because I've been where you are....low calorie dieting will spiral you into a really bad place fast, and this is especially true for women over 40. Your calories are too low for your body weight and exercise program. When we eat a low calorie diet combined with heavy exercise, our body goes into survival mode. It's not starvation mode, it's survival. It will hang on to fat for survival. So low calories, heavy cardio actually works against you.
A woman's metabolism shuts down twice as fast as a man because God created us to carry body fat. I know it's not fair, but the fat is there to protect us because we give birth and feed babies! Food can regulate our hormones or mess them up bad! I don't know if you remember me posting something several posts back about fat intake. If you go too low, it messes with a woman's hormones.

Here is a video explaining what happens when you eat low calories combined with cardio. He is talking about figure competitors, but this applies to women who eat a very low calorie diet. He also talks about why too much cardio is not a good approach.
BioLayne Video Log 9 - Metabolic Damage - YouTube

You may have to bite the bullet so to speak and eat more to reset your metabolism. I would suggest making sure your calorie counting is correct, and slowly increase your daily food intake by 100 calories a day and increase weekly until you are where you should be. Make sure the food is whole and not processed. Your body will do what you ask if you are fueling it correctly.
Thanks! I needed to hear this as well. :)

I started a new rotation -- I don't want dread to play into my working out. Good luck to all of you staying with it!! :D

Renee-- I've really struggled with how much to eat too. I go through cycles of eating a lot and eating a little and still haven't figured out what's best for me. I can totally empathize with your position. I just try to eat based on how hungry I am, but I'm also a stress eater...so that kind of ruins things sometimes.

Fit44-- I was doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit before Xtrain. That's a great program! Good luck!

Jann-- Hope your new workouts are great and help to break up the monotony that happens sometimes with these rotations!

Yesterday was a rest day and a much needed one, but unfortunately I had a headache all day and wasn't able to really enjoy it. I have a left over headache today. Not as bad, but still nagging. Today is legs and rear delts...the beginning of week 4. I'm hoping the workout will help me relieve some tension and my headache will lessen.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

hi everyone--

today was chest, back and shoulders. i added in core 1 and the 100 rep lateral challenges. energy is still good, so i am grateful! it is so freaking cold here, though, that i wish i could stay in for the rest of the day. have to head out and do a bunch of errands, though, and then my youngest has a cello recital tonight. long day of running around...

renee-- hope you are feeling good today! what fit44 says also makes sense. i know when i was my thinnest i was eating all sorts of nuts and in larger quantities in my salads. i have probably 5 more lbs on me now, though, and often times wonder if that is due to being on the pill:( i hate it, but there i am. anyway, hope today is a good one!

fit44-- thanks for the great info!!

jann-- good luck with your change in plans!

amcad-- hope your head feels better! at least legs and the rear delts don't have you jumping around if you are still feeling a little achey. great job on week 4! i am close to the end of that one now:)

talk again soon!

Fit44 thanks i guess i do have to play with the numbers but i know i have been on mfp for a yr. The first ydar ii did eat more caloriess and my exercise cal thats how i gained 6 pounds eek.so i just keep playing around til i figer it out.

Amcad hi.. Yes ido the binge too. But i also am going to try to not eat after 7 i think that should help. Enjoy legs! Thats the one i have almost a dread to it, but not to bad.
Sorry u have headache wow i hate them!
Katied im doing better, lol i vented now i just got to keep going, i wont give up dang it! Hope u r doing good!
Today for me is bis and tris ..

Last edited:
renee--yep, no giving up, right! way to go! had a long day and am up now too late at night, but my youngest had a great recital tonight. i am so not looking forward to heading out in the morning to bring my oldest to school in the early morning! it's supposed to be 16 below tonight and in the morning with 35 below windchills. just awful! and my car is not in a garage:eek:. oh well-- at least i can come home and sweat to cardio leg blast when i am done! glad you had a good day.

will check in tomorrow!

Greetings,
I had a full day today and no workout, and for some reason I cannot sleep. It's 1:45 EST and I am *wide* awake. This is going to make for a very long day tomorrow, but we'll see.

I took and passed my certification exam today, which is a relief. Now I can get back to my regular life and not study every day after dinner and all weekend. I have lots of projects in the backlog that I miss.

I think Hard Strikes is scheduled for tomorrow. I'll certainly give it a try, but we'll see how it goes since I'm not sleeping.

I also bought Tracy Anderson's Mat workout and got that yesterday. I think I will try to do them both tomorrow.

Interesting that several of you started but are either not liking/bored with this rotation. I see I am not alone. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I finish this 4th week. Since life is short and I desperately want to move on, I may just do that. But, I am a dogged person who tends to persevere, so that's not in my nature. I'm torn! At the very least I am going to take a rest week and then see what happens.

Raciela, sounds like your training is right on target! My biceps were sore too, but no my triceps, and I went up in weight, so I was surprised about that.

amcad, I hope you were able to push through your workouts today. Headaches are so horrible!

Renee, I hope you are doing well!

Eva

So glad I read the last couple of days on here, it really helped. It's been 24 days and I am starting to get bored and I've only lost a couple of pounds. I do see huge differences in my endurance which is great but I really want to lose weight so I am not sure what I want to do (keep going or start other rotations.) I started in week one not liking the workout but now I love them all but want to do other things, I don't like knowing what is coming up and the songs are getting stuck in my head. I really want to start week 5 since there are 2 different workouts incorporated so I may try that. I completely agree that we should have a step workout in the rotation, I miss doing them.

I everyone..
I didnt get to do bis an tris yesterday... So i did it today and tabatacise was up too. Im so glad i did it this way because i only set it for 2 tabatas, and i am glad! Man if u guhs can do all 5 im,so impressed, and jealous! Lol so it make me sweat up was great to do before bi n,tris so i tabtasicised and did only had to walk around cool down before moving to core added on, only 90 crunchs ( still cant do all the sit ups on care ) then i skipped warm up of bis n tri and did that workout and cool down burned 456 calories. So anyway it worked out good. Tomorrow it will be Hs!

Well guys i get bored real fast too, but i promised myself i will finish. I know i have a hard time losing so i told my self the worst can happen is i dont lose. I mean i never stick to a rotation. And frankly it will take longer then five weeks. I do see muscle definition so im gaining that, im gaining the knowledge that if i stick to this i Know i can stock to other rotations.
I mean i have not lost anything anyway doing whatever, making up my own stuff.. So also i mean i had more stress trying to find out what to do. So y not keep focusing on finishing. So i have so far made up my mind that im gonna just squeeze my butt cheeks together and keep going a little longer.

I mean what we may need to do is just add a nice walk outside on a day we know the wo of the day is shorter. I find going outside and jogging or walking brakes up the boredom. I am almost finished with week five and knowing i have supercuts coming up i think will help, i am excited to try it. I have not tried it for that reason, i knew id get id get bored. So i am going to see how it goes for month of Feb then reevalute. But i want to at LEAST prove to myself i can stick to something and finish...even if i dont lose at least i can feel good about that.

hi everyone!

today was cardio leg blast and i added the 100 rep hip thrusts-- my butt and legs are totally fried-- feel like jello:p. anyway, energy was a bit lower today, but tomorrow is my rest day, so i will be fine.

eva-- congrats on finishing your exam! sorry the insomnia bug bit you too:(. i have been better since starting melatonin, but i don't want to be using it all the time, that is for sure. hope you got some rest and i hope you stay with the rotation after a week off;)

rainaries-- maybe you could add in a step workout on the days when the workouts are short? i.e. like on bis and tris days? just a thought:)

renee-- way to go! you had a good sweatfest today! i will be sticking it out, too. i am a scorpio and stubborn as heck, so once i set my mind to something, i am doing it. weight loss or no (like i said, i am not even weighing myself so really no clue), i am seeing more definition in my arms and legs and feeling good about pushing myself through this. walks/runs outside sound wonderful, but the weather is so crappy here that i don't think that will be happening soon-- you must be someplace warm-- i am jealous! your determination is inspiring, so good to read your post.

happy friday everyone!

Well thanks! I livve in SC sometimes it gets 38 in day but not often! But it i 45 today but it is sunnny so ya i can put on lyers and be warm .. I am from wv it snows and cold, thats why we moved South! I hate the cold. But you know sometjing else i love that i never thought i would is jogging in cool weather, not cold snowy to much but it really makes me feel alive to run in somewhat chilli crissp air ! One time i was out joogging an the weather was not cold it was just right but started pouring thee rain, i almost painiced but i just thought ok i do have a jacket that is kinda water proof i have skin and watwr doesnt hurt it..keep going its not gonna kill you, well by the time i got home i,was laughing out of breathe so ecstatic! Never in a million yrs would i had thought id be my age running in the rain,, and everyone around thinks im nuts, but i didnt care! It is so freeing.. Thats why i like to jog , nothing like it. I am slow but i figure im faster then i used to be when i was sitting on the couch! Lol

Greetings,
Today I did Hard Strikes, which was on the schedule for yesterday, but I missed it, and I did Tracy Anderson's mat workout. All in all I worked out for almost two hours and burned a total of 800 calories or so. I did one in the morning and just finished one, so I broke them up.
I like Hard Strikes a lot and so today I'm less cranky about the rotation. We'll see how long that lasts. I am going to figure out a way to add the TA workouts in, I think I'll sub the regular legs workout with that, and try to add it in 3 days a week to see what happens. The arm workout is very hard, so I'm expecting some DOMS tomorrow, but we'll see. I'm curious to see if I'll get them with the TA workout since I've not really been getting them lifting with Cathe. I'm lifting 20-25 lbs for most of the arm, chest and 30-35# for back work. Why aren't I sore? I'm kind of confused, because I feel like I'm lifting to failure.

Renee, I've been saving those last two cardio workouts for the same reason! I knew I was going to get bored so I have not really done them. I did Tabaticise when XTrain first arrived, but I've not done it or looked at it since and I've not touched Super Cuts. I'm thinking about doing IMAX 3 tomorrow. I like that workout and I think it will cheer me up. I might add a little upper body weight work but we'll see.

OH, and I did the entire Hard Strikes DVD today too, to have a little variety, as I had skipped the conditioning before. I liked it too, katied. I kind of ran out of steam for the pushup/sit ups and did the last two sets on my knees, but I got them done.

I am going to try to stick with this rotation...I've done other long ones like STS, and I was fine. I'm just going to mix it up a little more to keep it fresh, I think. You guys are inspiring me!! That's what is so awesome about the check-ins. :D

TGIF!

Eva

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.