Workout DVD regrets

1. Tried Jari Love - didn't like her form.
  2. Tried Tracy Long's TLT - perhaps it was the set, but never found myself compelled to reach for these, although I loved Tracy in The Firm.
  3. Tried Jillian Michaels - only one I used multiple times was Yoga Meltdown. Can't stand the yelling and that she doesn't do the exercises.

Tried Cathe more approximately 10 years ago and have just about every workout - enough said!! :cool:

Lisa

I also have to say Jillian I just don't like her style.

Also the latest Tae Bo product. The new infomercial set. The bands are uncomfy for me, and they are not close to the original Tae Bo Lives I still love and do.

Tracy Long TLT's
Bob Harper Inside Out Series
P90X+ even though I like the original P90X
Bosu Pro Series work outs
Mark Blanchard's Progressive Power Yoga

*Tae Bo - just dont like it
* Jillians 30 day shred - shes too mean, not encouraging at all!
* The Firm series - boring!!
* Core Secrets - useless ball workouts.
Im sure theres more - just cant think of them anymore cuz I sold them at a garage sale many years ago!

I'm actually going thru my stuff this week to either sell, trade or donate.

My pile consists of:
Barry's Boot Camp set
P90X2 (not sure why I'd like this one, if I didn't like P90X)
Chalene's Turbo Fire set

I canNOT get rid of ANY Cathe nor Tracey's stuff.

Since we're on this subject...am I allowed to ask if there's a fitness site where we can sell and/or trade stuff? Firm YaYas was a great site, but I can't find it anymore.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of workout purchases I've regretted (on the flip side, I luckily am in contact with a reseller who gives me a fair price for them, so I'm not in as bad a situation as I could be).

Some of my bigger regrets (cost-wise):

Reinhart Kettlebells (I've decided I'm just not that in to kettlebells. And ater tweaking my "good" shoulder--after my "bad" shoulder, that had given me problems off-and-on for years, got so much better after I started racewalking--after I did some not-that-heavy presses with a KB).

Urban Rebounding Extreme. Blech!

Most of KCM's strength workouts. I like her kickboxing/boxing workouts, but most of the strenth workouts have some moves I question the safety of or that seem to be 'different' just for the sake of being different.

STS Strength: I'm sure it would have been effective, if I could have gotten the enthusiasm to do it. It sat on my shelves for months before I finally decided to get into it, but I didn't make it past 2 1/2 weeks into Meso 1, which I thought I'd like the best. Too much equipment, too-long workouts for my current needs and wants.

Most of STS Cardio.

Anna Bensons FitPrime series- too wierd for the sake of being wierd

Turbo Fire- too much whooping, shut up already!

I have several dvd regrets, but I'll post just a few.:eek:

Anything Billy Banks. OMG, that annoying counting! WTH?!!:eek:

P90X2...I have STS, what was I thinking?! At one time I loved P90X, but I can't get back into it after STS. I love straight forward, old school, weight lifting.P90X2 has too much going on and not enough of what I like.

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, I don't like her personality.

Can I ask what about P90X2 was it that you didn't like? I was thinking about it but now I'm curious why you didn't like it. Was it nothing like P90X? I can say I had bought the P90X+ and hated it. Can't wait to hear your response. Thanks!

I have several dvd regrets, but I'll post just a few.:eek:

Anything Billy Banks. OMG, that annoying counting! WTH?!!:eek:

P90X2...I have STS, what was I thinking?! At one time I loved P90X, but I can't get back into it after STS. I love straight forward, old school, weight lifting.P90X2 has too much going on and not enough of what I like.

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, I don't like her personality.

Can I ask what about P90X2 was it that you didn't like? I was thinking about it but now I'm curious why you didn't like it. Was it nothing like P90X? I can say I had bought the P90X+ and hated it. Can't wait to hear your response. Thanks!

Anna Bensons FitPrime series- too wierd for the sake of being wierd

Yes...she just got weird after doing such solid work with the original FIRMS...and those v**inal balls on her website are just weird and I think gives us insight into that weirdness.

The only workout I really regretted buying was Chalene Xtreme, and only because I don't like her counts compared to Cathe. But I sent it back for a full refund, so no major regrets.

In the 90's I bought Billy Blanks dvds and never stuck with them. Through them out years ago!

I have quite a few Firm workouts collecting dust, but I still got use out them because that is really what jump started me into working out and then I graduated to Cathe. So really no regrets. I hold on to them because I always think about what I would do in 10/20/30 years. Will I still be working out? If so, I like them because I could probably do them if I'm in shape in my 60's or 70's...lol. I know weird :)

ETA: I forgot one of Cathe's! I actually regret getting the whole STS series. I tried to start it, but it contains too many equipment changes that I really don't have room for in my tiny condo. Also, the 1 rep max was too much thinking for me...lol and it seems I would need to buy heavier weights I also have no room for. So those sit in the boxes they came in and I use her Gym Style, Push/Pull and Pyramid series and still get great results. But I pretty much love everything else of hers.

I have to disagree with most though, I loved Chalene's Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire series. It really works you! I love her form in it and have actually incorporated it into Cathe's kickboxing workouts. Chalene really knows how to get the core area which I like to work extra hard. Unfortunately, I had to stop for awhile due to tennis elbow :(

Last edited:
I'm regretting kettlebells. I always wondered why Cathe didn't make kettlebell workouts... I'm kinda seeing that it's easy to injure yourself with them and that is most likely why Cathe hasn't fully jumped on the kettlebell wagon.

There was a Crunch video in the late 90s that featured Billy Blanks. The cueing was minimal and I got fed up.

Jari Love's Get Extremely Ripped Boot Camp. I really like Jari Love in her first series and I think she tried to be someone else in her Get Extremely Ripped. Boot Camp is poorly edited and it has the same move for five minutes in the cardio section. Doing lateral jumps for five minutes can feel like an eternity.

The first (and subsequentally, my last) Turbo Jam-No. Just, no. Too many people, the winking, the wooting, the "awwww-yeah"-ing. I prefer less ostentension in my workouts. It's just a personal preference.

i have p90x 2 but am doing p9ox first. i have reviewed but havent done any of the workouts. it seems like a balance challenge for a lot of the exercises like kickbacks while in a warrior 3( one foot on floor) or pushups on medicine ball(s). i am hoping yogax will help prepare me for it.

laura

Oh yeah, Jen, I forgot about TurboJam Fire. I thought the original TurboJam was fun, fun, fun but sooo much about TJFire got on my nerves. I felt she moved wayyy to fast to keep proper form, all those surgically enhanced bodies & thongs showing through workout pants just grossed me out.

For me NOTHING beats Cathe & her amazing crew!!

Pam

Ok, I must be the ONLY Jillian Michaels fan. How has that woman managed to create a huge fitness empire with only 1 fan? Things that make you go hmmmm.......:confused: :D

Ok, I must be the ONLY Jillian Michaels fan. How has that woman managed to create a huge fitness empire with only 1 fan? Things that make you go hmmmm.......:confused: :D

LOL! Actually I love a few of her workouts. Burn Fat Boost Metabolism is awesome and I love 6 week 6 pack. I'm not a fan of the 3-2-1 formula workouts (30 day shred or ripped in 30) and the last few workouts she did seemed a little obnoxious....but those two are gold imo! :)

Nope, another person here to let you know you're not alone. :) I like some of her stuff, too--like Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones, and 30 Day Shred. I haven't done any of her newer stuff, though.

You're also not alone on liking Jari Love's GER workouts. The combo moves really spike my HR. I also like most of her older stuff. True, her form is not the best, but I appreciate the variety she offers and I personally get better results with the low weight/high reps approach.

nccjones said:
The only workout I really regretted buying was Chalene Xtreme, and only because I don't like her counts compared to Cathe. But I sent it back for a full refund, so no major regrets.

In the 90's I bought Billy Blanks dvds and never stuck with them. Through them out years ago!

I have quite a few Firm workouts collecting dust, but I still got use out them because that is really what jump started me into working out and then I graduated to Cathe. So really no regrets. I hold on to them because I always think about what I would do in 10/20/30 years. Will I still be working out? If so, I like them because I could probably do them if I'm in shape in my 60's or 70's...lol. I know weird :)

ETA: I forgot one of Cathe's! I actually regret getting the whole STS series. I tried to start it, but it contains too many equipment changes that I really don't have room for in my tiny condo. Also, the 1 rep max was too much thinking for me...lol and it seems I would need to buy heavier weights I also have no room for. So those sit in the boxes they came in and I use her Gym Style, Push/Pull and Pyramid series and still get great results. But I pretty much love everything else of hers.

I have to disagree with most though, I loved Chalene's Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire series. It really works you! I love her form in it and have actually incorporated it into Cathe's kickboxing workouts. Chalene really knows how to get the core area which I like to work extra hard. Unfortunately, I had to stop for awhile due to tennis elbow :(

I'm glad to see that someone else likes Turbofire. I love it. I don't have Turbo Jam, but Turbo Fire is so much fun.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.