women under fire for workout

denisha1

Hello Ladies,

This story was online basically about women doing crossfit while pregnant and people were making very negative comments saying she was selfish etc...

Yahoo Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

I thought really...really... as long as the mom and baby are ok health wise then I don't see the problem (safety first). One of the instructors at the gym was teaching body pump in her 8th month she modified her bench for chest presses and did not do abs but squats..upper body etc.. she stopped teaching as she was headed toward her last month and took classes and modified as she needed to. Monday night she came back to teach her first class after 6weeks and she is looking great. I can tell she will get back to pre-preg weight very soon etc.. A few years ago I watched a bio on a track athlete and she still trained etc.. until the week before she gave birth.

I know many doctors say you should be able to continue to the same workout routine pre-pregnancy and make modifications as needed. We all know how much work we have to do to get in shape so if a woman decides to keep her physical routine...I think that is great so it makes things easier as much as possible post pregnancy....

Your thoughts..

I have no children, I am intending to be active as possible should I become pregnant!:eek:

There is no harm remaining active if it's a healthy not complicated pregnancy.
Of course women should have "the go ahead" from their doctors:):):)

It is funny you brought this topic up. I have seen a thread on facebook of woman who was lifting the weight after the first trimester. This did cause a stir!!!

Pregnancy is not a disability phase throughout the life!!! For goodness---nine months is a long way! Too long to be missing some fun:cool::cool::cool:;):Ds
Fun not just working out.

Hope to read more on this ;)

Thanks Denisha:)

I worked out almost every day until 2 weeks before the delivery of my twins. That was 21 years ago.At the time I wasn't lifting very heavy ( pregnant or not) but i was doing advanced step and indoor cycling. The only thing I had to stop immediately was running ( because my body just told me to) . I was surprised by that, because I fully intended to run the whole pregnancy. I think for the most part, if you listen to your body and were a regular exerciser before, there is no need to stop during pregnancy.

I worked out all through my 5 pregnancies even when I was carrying my twins. With my first pregnancy I was a little nervous so I was more cautious for the rest of my pregnancies I pretty much kept my same pace until I got to my last month of my pregnancy. For my last pregnancy I ran 6 miles and did weights the day I went into labor. Doctor said it was ok as long as I felt doing it. Even after I gave birth to my children I would immediately start working out.

Wow

I worked out all through my 5 pregnancies even when I was carrying my twins. With my first pregnancy I was a little nervous so I was more cautious for the rest of my pregnancies I pretty much kept my same pace until I got to my last month of my pregnancy. For my last pregnancy I ran 6 miles and did weights the day I went into labor. Doctor said it was ok as long as I felt doing it. Even after I gave birth to my children I would immediately start working out.

Wow---;);)

I did Spinning classes, all out, right up until 2 days before I had my daughter. I did Cathe weight training all the way through my pregnancy - lightened the weight a bit but didn't have to modify the intensity too much. I just listened to my body and did what it seemed to need. I had a C-section and recovered really quickly - I walked every day until my 6 week post-delivery period was up, then had no problems jumping right back into my routine. My daughter is now 11 years old and has been perfectly healthy right from birth.

I don't understand why people feel the need to judge pregnant women. Clearly they don't understand pregnancy. Everyone is different and every expectant mother is motivated to have a healthy child.

Stebby

I cringed when I saw the photo of her lifting the kettle ball overhead in a squat.

I did not. I positively thought about the fact that no woman would jeopardize the well being, health and life of an unborn child. I am sure as soon as a child is conceived and a woman start feeling the kick etc... she will be sensible, listen to her body and know what she can and can not do.

Well that is my 2 pence.

I exercised through my entire pregnancy up until the day prior to going into labor! The only reason I didn't exercise on the very day I went into labor is because I simply hadn't gotten to it yet before labor began. I did my regular routine of weights and cardio with Cathe and some Firm work outs. I had read that you should work on maintaining your current level of fitness and not try to advance it so that's what I did and I was fine.

Crossfit is apparently this woman's work out of choice. It may not be everyone's cup of tea. I know many view it as dangerous but she's been doing it for a while so I am sure knows how to execute the moves safely. Assuming she has discussed it with her doctor and knows her limits, there is no reason why she should not continue with her work outs through out her pregnancy.

I praise her for not using her pregnancy as an excuse to lay on the couch and eat crap all day long TBH!

JMHO. :)

I did not. I positively thought about the fact that no woman would jeopardize the well being, health and life of an unborn child. I am sure as soon as a child is conceived and a woman start feeling the kick etc... she will be sensible, listen to her body and know what she can and can not do.

Well that is my 2 pence.
I've never been pregnant so I don't have a frame of reference to know how your body would feel doing this type of workout with a baby inside of you. That is why I cringed when I saw the photo.

I don't understand why people feel the need to judge pregnant women. Clearly they don't understand pregnancy. Everyone is different and every expectant mother is motivated to have a healthy child.

Stebby

THIS. And I find that other woman are the worst offenders-whether its their workouts, what they eat or what they wear.

Being pregnant is hard enough. Who wants to deal with that nonsense.

THIS. And I find that other woman are the worst offenders-whether its their workouts, what they eat or what they wear.

Being pregnant is hard enough. Who wants to deal with that nonsense.

Totally agree. Judgementalism is the worst. Who the hell are we to judge this woman? Why so much paternalism in assuming a woman or pregnant woman does not know her own mind, her self, her body and what she can and cannot handle? When will society stop preaching to women what they can and cannot do and what their limits are? The woman's life does not stop because she carries a life.

Another poster said she had expected to run throughout her pregnancy but found her body told her not to: this is exactly as it should be.

Clare

I've never been pregnant so I don't have a frame of reference to know how your body would feel doing this type of workout with a baby inside of you. That is why I cringed when I saw the photo.

I have been pregnant and have 2 grown sons and I still cringed.

All of my 3 pregnancies were high risk...all kiddos born early. 1st one 8 wks. early, 2nd 7wks. early, and 3rd one 6 wks. early...so needless to say I did not work out during them. But I would have if I could have. When I asked the Dr. if I could have a 4th, he said I would be on bed rest from day 1!
I say that women know their bodies and what they can/cannot handle.

98% of my friends are mum and we do talk about pregnancies, labor etc---
My sister has 4 kids and I have been around helping whenever she needed me.;)

That is how I know. I suppose it's just common sense IMO.;);)

Praise 4 you ladies

I exercised through my entire pregnancy up until the day prior to going into labor! The only reason I didn't exercise on the very day I went into labor is because I simply hadn't gotten to it yet before labor began. I did my regular routine of weights and cardio with Cathe and some Firm work outs. I had read that you should work on maintaining your current level of fitness and not try to advance it so that's what I did and I was fine.

Crossfit is apparently this woman's work out of choice. It may not be everyone's cup of tea. I know many view it as dangerous but she's been doing it for a while so I am sure knows how to execute the moves safely. Assuming she has discussed it with her doctor and knows her limits, there is no reason why she should not continue with her work outs through out her pregnancy.

I praise her for not using her pregnancy as an excuse to lay on the couch and eat crap all day long TBH!

JMHO. :)

Hi Wendy,

I have a lot of praise for you and other ladies here who have not only managed to keep fit during the pregnancy but also after all these years. God knows how many excuses I have heard from people who just do not understand the importance of getting into fitness!:eek::eek::eek:
Most of them blame the fact that of having children, being busy etc...
We know it's not an excuse cause we can all make the time!

Your highlighted phrase above has made me smile:):):):);)
I can imagine myself being adamant to workout till last minute:D:D:D

I really enjoyed reading this post.
Thanks for sharing;)

Kind Regards,

Awww thanks for the kind words, Nathalie! :)

I read your posts on here often. You are obviously very dedicated to fitness as well. Kudos to you! :)

I wish I would of worked out during my pregnancies, I did workout 6 weeks after our first daughter was born 23 years ago, I was going back to work and I wanted to fit back into my work clothes.

In regard to the women who was working out with the kettlebell while very pregnant, it is not like she just started to lift heavy when she became pregnant, its obvious fitness is her life and that's great! As long as her doctor knew she was doing and okayed it I don't see anything wrong with it, in fact good for her!!

...Cheryl

I've already responded elsewhere in reference to this same story, but what's the big outrage over the judgement of her? She put the photo out there. People are going to give their opinions. It's the nature of social media. If you don't want negative feedback (or any kind of feedback) then don't make your photo available to the public. Pretty simple.

This isn't saying whether what's she's doing is right or wrong. I think every single case is different. What's right for her pregnancy might not be for someone else. Only the end result will tell.

I'm not going to comment on whether or not she should be doing intensive workouts during her pregnancy. It's her business.

Clare's latest post really hit the nail on the head, as we seem to be going backwards in terms of womens' rights, particularly when it comes to personal decisions regarding our bodies & our health care.

I am going to comment on her tube socks. They took me right back to 1976! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.