What was your first job?

I'm not sure which I started first, but one semester in college I had 3 jobs--college tour guide, library worker, and bbq restaurant waitress. Those are listed in order of best to worst, by the way.

I was a cocktail waitress / busperson during a PGA Golf Tournament in 1995. I was 17 years old, so I wasn't legally supposed to be serving alcohol, but it became a huge pain to tell the often drunken customers "Sorry, I can't serve you, I'll have to get someone who can", and so I just started serving them myself. Got a lot better tips that way anyway! Long story short, it was a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE job, even though it was only for one week. It was long hours and backbreaking work and I have a real appreciation for waitstaff at restaurants - that is not easy work. It was GREAT money - drunken PGA fans are very generous with their tips. But I would never do it again.

My first long-term job was as a Customer Service Associate at Service Merchandise (remember that store?). I worked there during my senior year of high school and it was a pretty good gig. $6.50 an hour wasn't bad money at all - I was able to save up plenty of spending money for my first year of college. Working during the holidays sucked big-time though (and so I also have a real appreciation for anyone who works in retail during the holidays!). :)

Did you see "hunks" in uniform there???

You know what? The whole time I lived in San Diego I refused to date anyone in the military because I didn't want to "wind up" a "military wife." IN SAN DIEGO ALL THE MEN ARE IN THE MILITARY!!! Yep. It was a real dry time in a city FULL OF MEN! Have you ever looked back on your life and thought 'Okay... screwed up THERE.... and THERE... and..." I didn't make that mistake when I was recalled for Desert Storm. I was stationed at Fleet Hospital Six in Bahrain (Persian Gulf) and, with a men/women ratio of 2:1 it was the best time I've ever had in my whole life. I was there for only three months and miserable when it ended.

LOL -

I truly enjoyed your reply . . yes - have had a few of those moments also. I was a flight attendant . . first class always was a fun place to work.

I worked where my dad worked in the Human Resources department. I was probably 16. I worked only 2 -2 1/2 hours a day. I would leave school, walk three blocks, catch a bus to the end of the line and then walk maybe 3/4 of a mile through parking lots and over a highway overpass to get there. Sometimes it felt like it took longer to get there than to actually work. It was fun because I got to give applicants typing tests and put up Christmas trees, etc.

Jean Louise

My first job was at the local department store (best in town - population 12000) and worked as the stockroom hanger-upper girl... but I got to see all the merchandise BEFORE everyone else and could HIDE my fav's till payday! I was 15.

then onward and upward to McD's for 2 weeks (at 2 hours a week :() and then to A&W until I graduated and got the he!! out of dodge! man! that was over 25 years ago...

Looks like I got you al beat on the $$$.....I plunked down a cool $2.00/hour as a theater usher, but you couldn't beat the perks....cool red blazer and smart clip on tie were included!!!!

Nothing better than clearing $67.00 weekly for a 40 hour work week!

Looks like I got you al beat on the $$$.....I plunked down a cool $2.00/hour as a theater usher, but you couldn't beat the perks....cool red blazer and smart clip on tie were included!!!!

Nothing better than clearing $67.00 weekly for a 40 hour work week!

BUT...you got to watch all the first run movies for free:D!

Carrie

BUT...you got to watch all the first run movies for free:D!

Carrie

Yes, and what classics they were...

The Blues Brothers
The Long Riders
Coal Miners' Daughter...I couldn't get that friggin soundtrack out of my head all winter after the theatre closed
Xanadu w/Olivia Newton John and Gene Kelly on roller skates.

I worked as a cutter at a fruit dry yard. We cut and pitted apricots and peaches for drying. We worked in the heat of summer and got paid by the box. If you were fast (I wasn't) you could make minimum wage. Thanks to that job I have a strong respect for migrant farm workers. I did meet my husband there so it was all worth it. I also worked at a lemonade booth when the fairs came to town.

Jean

At 16, I worked at an amusement park for less than $2.00 an hour. That's how OLD I am! We did get to test out the roller coaster before the park opened in the morning, so that was fun.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.