What was your first job?

jonahnah

Cathlete
I'm not talking about babysitting, lawn mowing ad hoc type things, but where you had a "boss" and had taxes, etcs. deducted from your paycheck. I'm asking because my DD has started teaching at her karate studio and it's interesting for me to see her as someone's employee.

So, what was your first job, what did you do and how old were you?

I was a "page" in our town library. (Seriously, what a title!) I shelved books and reorganized the shelves. Utter glory was getting to work the check out desk. I was 16. I left that illustrious career after a year to work in the accessories dept. at JCPenney.

Anybody else???

Last edited:
Believe it or not, my first job was the front desk at a gym. Funny thing is I didn't even work out then - I was big into sports, but didn't officially "work out". I would kill for that job now...

My first job was at Lady Footlocker. We had to wear those stupid referee shirts, but I got awesome discounts on everything!

I worked at a movie theater. Let me tell you people leave some disgusting stuff on the floors there! You wouldn't believe the stuff people sneak in there. I always am sure to throw my trash away when I leave the movies because I know the poor people who have to clean it up!

I was a clerk at a retial trendy clothes store in the mall my senior yr of high school. I remember it was alot of fun, I always looked forward to going to work.

I worked at AMC Theaters when I was 16 and made $3.35 an hour when I started. Does that count as getting paid??!!?

Police Department

I was a clerk/typist at the police department in the town where I lived. The job itself (typing, filing) wasn't so interesting, but the environment was!

Also interesting: Finding out what really went on in my small town! ;)

I was a telemarketer for a chiropractor. Would you like a free exam? Xrays included!! I was 16. Remember when your entire paycheck was spending money? ahhhhh

Nan

I worked at Fannie May Candies. We were encouraged to try the candy and boy did I. The scary thing was that I was in the store by myself until 9:00 at night! At 16!! I remember different Fannie May stores were being robbed so once a night I would get a visit from a police officer who gladly accepted all the free candy I gave him.

Most nights I would sit at the counter and do my Spanish homework with a tray of candy at my side. That was pure bliss! :D

Last edited:
My first job was at KFC. I started when I was 15. I had to get a special work-permit and everything. To this day, I don't like to eat KFC chicken, cole slaw, etc.

Carrie

The U.S. Navy. Stationed at Naval Training Center, San Diego. I worked in the Transportation Office where I made travel arrangements for all the people being re-assigned from NTC and the RTC (Recruit Training Command). I was there for my entire 4-year enlistment and was the military supervisor for the last two years. I can't imagine managing people now but I was good at it back then.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.