What was your first job?

I worked at a Hallmark store for several years of high school and several years of college -- I LOVED that job! I think I made about $7.50 an hour (but that was only about 6 years ago).

LOL -

I truly enjoyed your reply . . yes - have had a few of those moments also. I was a flight attendant . . first class always was a fun place to work.

Hey. Don't you think the drinking should stop on planes and in airports? I've seen what the flight attendants have to put up with and it always seems to be fueled by alcohol.

I started lifeguarding at a water slide park when I was 15. I got paid $5/hr, I think that was 1984. I used to bike there, 18 km and then work a 8 hr shift (summer holidays) and then my mom would pick me up after work.

I was a long distance telephone operator. That was back when you got to actually talk to a real person instead of a voice message with numbers to punch. Can't tell you the number of times I would answer my own phone with saying operator instead of saying Hello after an eight hour shift.

I was 18 and I was a nude model for a college art class.

I got an art degree and I can tell you that's not a fun job. At least it didn't LOOK fun from where I stood. I always seemed to wind up taking my Life Drawing classes in the winter. The room was always cold and the models always seemed to get fried by the electric space heaters they had to use. To make matters worse, the instructors always put the models in the least comfortable poses and they had to hold the pose forever. Pay sucked, too. I really hated drawing from the model, but then I never did figurative work.

I got an art degree and I can tell you that's not a fun job. At least it didn't LOOK fun from where I stood. I always seemed to wind up taking my Life Drawing classes in the winter. The room was always cold and the models always seemed to get fried by the electric space heaters they had to use. To make matters worse, the instructors always put the models in the least comfortable poses and they had to hold the pose forever. Pay sucked, too. I really hated drawing from the model, but then I never did figurative work.

Word. That's pretty much how it was.

Many moons ago my first job was working for a Savings & Loan. I started at $5.00 an hour and I thought I was rich!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.