What do you think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/nyregion/16bigcity.html?ex=1402891200&en=a0aa56130c9b56bf&ei=5124

This was in the ny times. the woman is going overboard IMO. Her poor kids.

Looking back to my childhood we would bring in treats for our birthdays-we had around 25 kids in each class which means 25 days out of the school year we had treats and we were'nt obese probably because we didn't sit around playing video games or sit and text all day long. There was one obese kid but he was a glutton-even eating his banana peels.
I think kids should be allowed to be kids and enjoy a treat once in a while.
oh and for my treats I would always bring in rice krispie bars made with peanut butter which would be illegal today in our school district because maybe 1 kid in the school will be allergic-so the whole school has to suffer and do without peanut butter products of any kind-no pb & j sandwiches.:rolleyes:

I am absolutely amazed at the statement above. And to be really honest, quite angry. THAT ONE KID IS MINE. And he is 5 yrs old and must carry and self inject an epi-pen if he comes in contact with peanuts!!!!!

So I am so sorry that it inconveniences one of your children to not have a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich so that my child won't die!!!!!!!!!!

You should be so thankful that the life threatening allergy hasn't hit you or your children.

The food allergy issue has come up more than once offline for me.

Ellie, because of your son's allergy and being at such a young age, do you think it's appropriate to ask everyone to avoid bringing anything with peanuts to class (as in one kid's personal PBJ)? How does your school handle this?

What about when he's older ~ say 5th or 6th grade ~ and can effectively determine what he can and cannot eat on his own? Would it be okay then for others to bring PBJ sandwiches to class?

I ask because I'm honestly curious. This is not a challenge in any way.

Last edited:
The food allergy issue has come up more than once offline for me.

Ellie, because of your son's allergy and being at such a young age, do you think it's appropriate to ask everyone to avoid bringing anything with peanuts to class (as in one kid's personal PBJ)? How does your school handle this?

What about when he's older ~ say 5th or 6th grade ~ and can determine what he can and cannot eat effectively on his own? Would it be okay then for others to bring PBJ sandwiches to class?

I ask because I'm honestly curious. This is not a challenge in any way.

If my child were the only child in our school with a peanut allergy, then I would seriously have to consider whether or not to send him there. But in our school alone, there are over 30 children with nut allergies (differing severities)

Both of my boys are allergic to peanuts and don't eat things that are not sent in by me, so it's not about their age. It is about the serious risk of dying from an accidental exposure. IE A child eating a peanut butter sandwich wipes it all down the side of the table, my son sits down and unknowingly gets it on his hands and then procedes to eat his lunch.

Some schools have peanut free tables and some schools have gone entirely peanut free. If my child were not allergic to peanuts, I would still follow the rules based on the health of the other children.

Most eating establishments are unsafe because they use large dishwashers to wash their dishes and silverware. Peanut butter needs to be actually rubbed off a utensil. High heat alone will not rid the spoon of it. My kids can't eat at the local ice cream stores either. because they scoop the peanut butter ice cream and then "dip" it into the same bowl of water to clean it off for the next person's ice cream cone. Chick filet fries with peanut oil, baseball parks walk around selling freshly roasted peanuts. So, in short (well maybe not), this allergy is MUCH harder for us to live with, than the children who simply can't have a PB and J at school.

ellie

I haven't read all of the above, so please forgive me if I repeat anyone, but as for the allergy argument: My middle child had a child that was allergic to nuts in his preschool class last year, and I tried to get the teacher to ban all peanut butter from kids' lunchboxes. My child LOVES pb&js, but he learned to like cheese sandwiches because he didn't want to bring pb because of his classmate. Other moms must have felt differently because they wound up having a pb table and a nut-free table. Some kids can't even come into contact with it on their skin, so that made me nervous. If we had a party, the mom usually brought her child his own cupcake because he couldn't have eggs either. That worked out well.

I understood that this mom in question is making a fuss over cupcakes at birthdays/parties in the classroom? I think that's nuts. I thing that some parents can take the "healthy eating" argument to extremes which is detrimental to the child in the long run. Our motto: EVERYTHING in moderation. My kids know that very few foods are off limits, but too much of certain foods are. Otherwise, when they go to college, they may become binge eaters!! :p

Well, I guess I'll pop in with my two cents. As far as birthday treats go, my daughter has come home before with an uneaten lunch because of all the birthday treats brought in. I personally think it's a better idea to have one day a month to celebrate all that month's birthdays. And I have no problem with my daughter eating junk then...on the other days I send her with a reasonably healthy snack.

But as far as peanuts go, my daughter LIVES on peanut butter. Her school does not have a ban on peanuts or pb and I'll have to ask her if they have a peanut-free table. But I think that ALL parents should support a ban if it is put forth...it's not the food police trying to keep junk out of kids' lunches, it can literally be a life and death situation. As much as my daughter and I love peanut butter, there really is no other choice. And I know for sure that my daughter would rather not bring pb than risk her friend having a severe reaction!

As far as birthday goods go, DD's school only allows store-bought foods that have ingredient labels on them...it's easier when dealing with allergies.

I am sorry Ellie, I did not mean to offend you or anyone with peanut allergies. :eek:
I was not trying to be insensitive. Please accept my apologies.

I am sorry Ellie, I did not mean to offend you or anyone with peanut allergies. :eek:
I was not trying to be insensitive. Please accept my apologies.

Thank you for that! I too am sorry if I came across as very strong and mean. Our lives revolve around an allergy that we have no control over. And the first time my older son needed to be placed on a ventialtor, I was very angry at God and people and myself and my genetics etc.

I accept your apology and thank you for being brave enough to post it in open discussion. Kudos to you!!!!!

ellie

Thank you for that! I too am sorry if I came across as very strong and mean. Our lives revolve around an allergy that we have no control over. And the first time my older son needed to be placed on a ventialtor, I was very angry at God and people and myself and my genetics etc.

I accept your apology and thank you for being brave enough to post it in open discussion. Kudos to you!!!!!

ellie

Oh man Ellie I feel like such a heel. Thank you for not bashing me further.
I have no children but when my nieces told me they couldn't have anything PB in school even in thier own lunches brought from home i just thought that was terrible (cuz I luv PB in fact I had one for dinner) but it was told to me kids trade thier lunches and even then I just thought well if a kid is allergic then shouldn't they know better than to trade but i never thought about what if it got wiped on the table or something like that. I just honestly never thought of that. Thanks for the insight.
Now I understand.

Nothing to do with allergies

And every mother has the RIGHT to decide how to celebrate that birthday! Being a mom of children with food allergies, it is increasingly hard to keep them safe when a mother stops at a supermarket and picks up pre-made cupcakes made with nuts.

I by no means deprive my children of a birthday celebration. They wake up in the morning to the table set in their theme, with the birthday present there and we make a special breakfast. They love it.

But IMHO school is for education, not birthday party central.

ellie

My response had nothing to do with allergies.

I was merely trying to make the point that its not the end of the world for kids to have a couple of treats.

This is one of the reasons I never post here. Its very difficult for someone to have an opinion and not get flamed.

I have 2 kids, both in middle school now. I wonder if some of the people posting objections to this policy actually have kids and realize how much junk these kids get in school?!

When you say, a couple of cupcakes every month won't hurt a kid, ITA, but it's more a couple of cupcakes/treats 2x/wk!! It's not just birthdays, it's the parties & celebrations. There's the 100th day of school party, the ice cream party for the summer reading program, the fall festival, Halloween, Thanksgiving "feasts", Xmas & Hanukkah, Valentines day is ALL about the candy that's attached to the valentine; Easter; Teacher Appreciation day; Staff appreciation day; parent volunteer appreciation day; library day; crazy hat day; crazy hair day; celebrate art day; team contests; writing portfolio party; socials, beach parties, field day; celebrate our immigrant heritage --there's a million of these frickin' parties!! I can't turn around w/o getting hit up to bring something for a party! Even in middle school, the teachers regularly give out candy as rewards for grades. WTH??

Our school district is now talking about changing its policies because they failed the state healthy food guidelines last year. (too many parties-DUH!) The PTA mom in charge of middle school lunches thinks it's ridiculous because the children will be unhappy and "happy children learn more." Yeah, hopped up on sugary crap & artificial ingredients they'll learn more.

There's a TON of research supporting healthier food for lunches & snacks improves child behavior and higher test scores. Great Britain has been experimenting w/ this for years--the US is behind the curve.

Off my soapbox...;)

I had no idea that even touching peanut butter was risky. I just figured that if a child avoided eating it directly, he or she would be fine.

Thanks for the information, Ellie!

I have 2 kids, both in middle school now. I wonder if some of the people posting objections to this policy actually have kids and realize how much junk these kids get in school?!

When you say, a couple of cupcakes every month won't hurt a kid, ITA, but it's more a couple of cupcakes/treats 2x/wk!! It's not just birthdays, it's the parties & celebrations. There's the 100th day of school party, the ice cream party for the summer reading program, the fall festival, Halloween, Thanksgiving "feasts", Xmas & Hanukkah, Valentines day is ALL about the candy that's attached to the valentine; Easter; Teacher Appreciation day; Staff appreciation day; parent volunteer appreciation day; library day; crazy hat day; crazy hair day; celebrate art day; team contests; writing portfolio party; socials, beach parties, field day; celebrate our immigrant heritage --there's a million of these frickin' parties!! I can't turn around w/o getting hit up to bring something for a party! Even in middle school, the teachers regularly give out candy as rewards for grades. WTH??

Our school district is now talking about changing its policies because they failed the state healthy food guidelines last year. (too many parties-DUH!) The PTA mom in charge of middle school lunches thinks it's ridiculous because the children will be unhappy and "happy children learn more." Yeah, hopped up on sugary crap & artificial ingredients they'll learn more.

There's a TON of research supporting healthier food for lunches & snacks improves child behavior and higher test scores. Great Britain has been experimenting w/ this for years--the US is behind the curve.

Off my soapbox...;)

Yep, that is exactly what USED to happen at our school. Then the policies changed and we only have Christmas and Easter parties!!!!!!! Catholic school

These kids were getting some form of junk food EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! And nevermind all the bags of googies that each parent brought in for that party. My child is one of 30 in his class. He came home from every party with 29 bags full of candy!!!! RIDICULOUS.

I agree that unless you have a child in these grades you really have no idea how much stuff is given to them. AND how much stuff is thrown in the trash

ellie

I do have children

I would never comment on a post on children if I did not have any.

If you believe the treats are bad and or excessive, just teach your children to say "no thank you".

Again, its none of anyone's business what people feed their children. The food in my home is 90% organic. That does not mean I can judge someone who feeds there kids McDonalds three times a week.

To each there own - that's what makes our country so great!

I have kids too. :) I don't support the constant handing out of candy and treats. On the other hand, a teacher throwing away a cookie I gave to my daughter would p*ss me off big time, and I would have made a very hot headed visit to the school.

What's with all the parties though? I don't remember that kind of excess when I was in school.

Maybe I did not make myself clear

I have never said what OTHER people should or shouldn't feed THEIR children.
I was stating what I preferred for MY children. I said nothing about McDonald's or how people eat at home. I simply said that IN MY OPINION, the junk food at school was excessive. And our school has done away with parties for 100th day, Valentine's day, casual clothes day etc., because most parents felt the same way.

Thank you for offering the "Just teach your children to say no thank you" advice. But you can rest assured that I have the parenting thing under control and don't need advice from others.

ellie

My post

My reply was not directed at anyone inparticular. Just giving MY opinion. Your parenting skills are none of my business.

I just cannot understand why there cannot be a discussion between individuals with different opinions that does not turn into a pi**ing match.

In the future, I just will not post.

Our school hs also stepped up to the plate (no pun intended) with serving healthier fare in teh cafeteria & also taking sugary sodas out of the machines. But we still have those teachers who are giving out candy as rewards!! Come on! My youngest ds who just got braces is given all this chewing crap that he can't eat...doesn't take an orthodontist to know what one shouldn't eat with braces! :mad:
It's great that the schools are trying to get the kids to eat better but it also needs to happen at home....another thread!
How about gym classes? When I went to school (ok so that was 20 yrs ago :confused:) we had gym EVERY day! Now it's twice a week!

Then of course the snacks that are sent in for snack day or birthdays. The lower grades here take turns sending in a snack for the class. I know of a parent who sent in individual packages of marshmellows!! OMG!!!!!

I agree that this woman has gone overboard, but in our school district the amount of junk food given to our kids is appalling.

Teachers - even at the high school level - regularly give the kids candy for good performance. I hate this. Not only is it bad nutrition, but it's horrible for the kids' teeth. My kids get candy just about every day at school and sometimes several times a day from teachers. Our area has well water, so the kids get fluoride treatments at school for their teeth. The school nurse gives the "fluoride helpers" CANDY as a reward for helping. Plus, my kids see other kids' lunches and complain that theirs is too "healthy" (believe me, it's not).

My dd has a mild peanut allergy and I make sure that the teacher has an alternate dessert for her on the days that other kids bring in birthday treats. This has worked out well for us.

Erica

I am NOT a mother

I just cannot understand why there cannot be a discussion between individuals with different opinions that does not turn into a pi**ing match.

In the future, I just will not post.

well said, jacmar. i feel the need to "out myself" publicly and say i am not a mom, although i did mention it in my previous post. and yes, i am aware of the cafeteria/cupcake stuff and I have been very involved in the grade school life with my nieces/nephews. since this thread has become quite hostile, i don't care to, or feel the need to, explain my family life or why i should be qualified to post. in our district, we just don't experience the problems that some of you have. we don't have 100s of parties, nor do the kids get excesssive candy from school, and they do have cupcakes to celebrate birthdays. i think parents are happy for the most part, although there are some controversies. everything in moderation worked for us. if you are disappointed with your school, speak to the teacher, principal or other parents to solve the problem. some here gave very useful advice which you can use. the original post asked what people thought (not what "mothers" thought), so i offered my opinion. my opinions and take on things were based on my own life experiences as a child myself and with my nieces/nephews. if it helped someone, great, if not, that's fine. if you want only mothers opinions, kindly state that in the beginning of the thread.

i'm surprised at the indignation, intolerance, and condescention showing throughout this thread. now even the most innocent seeming threads turn sooo ugly. such anger and hostility..very sad.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.