Well, I just took a pay cut

So sorry to hear and keeping good thoughts for your continued employment.

Getting really scary out there. Just spoke with one of my ex-ees (that I had to terminate - HR Witch is my title :eek:) and he has been out of work since July. He is a little specialized - box manufacturing for nearly his entire career of about 20 + years.

I just keep optomistic that things will turn around sooner rather than later. And try to watch the $ as much as possible.

Keep us posted.

Jacque - Do you do HR at a box manufacturing company? I only ask because that is what I do too. It is unbelievably rough on our particular business at the moment. Everyone is nervous from the top down. :eek:

Hey Netta!

Hey Netta, I work for CDCR also at RJD, what a trip. Yeah, the couples are gonna get the hardest hit.

Sending positive vibes your way Laura ... this economy is very scary right now. We are under a hiring freeze .. salary freeze .. and just lost one position in my area .. SCARY times!

Praying our country and economy will recover and take a turn for the BETTER soon!!!

That sucks. Here in California people are losing jobs left and right and it is just down right scary. I'll cross my fingers for you. Keep us posted.

Laura...

OMG nspire & Jeannette--I'm keeping fingers crossed for you! I saw the news this morning & CA is in pretty bad shape.

Tami, I apologize, I didn't realize you worked for govmt as well. I'm in muni govmt so there's no possibility of closing a dept. & sending jobs somewhere else. But I'm standing by my union statement--I think part of it has something to do w/the state--NJ has all kinds of binding arbitration laws that essentially guarantee union positions unless someone dies or is convicted of a felony. Not a misdemeanor, a felony. :p Crap, we found out a few months ago one of our dump truck/snow plow drivers hadn't had a drivers license for 7 years, much less his CDL. Punishment? 2 days suspension, w/the option to use vacation days instead. Can you imagine? :eek:

As far as the OSB goes, I cannot imagine what kind of an a$$hole would consciously try to hurt someone in this situation. Well, not true, actually I can. ;) In all seriousness, I would not wish the loss of livelihood on my worst enemy. While I know the forum member who evidently would, I previously didn't think she was this spiteful & just plain evil. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised she is, but I am.

Laura, what kind of work do you do? (Apologies if you've already answered this question!)

I'm a former small-town employee -- I know what it's like. You're at the mercy of what is too often a popularity contest. (Favorite projects, favorite people, whatever.)

Good luck to you.

I just starred this thread as excellent but it didn't change anything. :(

Laura, keeping you in my prayers about your job. I'm real sorry to hear this.

Nah. Once a person one-stars a thread it's mathematically impossible to get back to 5. Well, not impossible, we'd just need like a zillion more forum members. :p

I'm actually requesting we leave the one stars. And stop mentioning the pathetic woman. Really it only feeds into her childish, need-negative-attention mentality. I guess someone's mother didn't breast feed them when they were a baby. :D

Kathryn, I'm the assistant admin for a small town. So there's only one of me in every town (actually many smaller towns don't even have an asst. admin). Meaning someone has to die, retire or move on for an opening to come up for me. And yes, I do serve at the whim of politicians. Generally hasn't been a problem for me--I can stroke egos as well as anyone. ;) It's the at-will status & budget issues that are the real problems.

The good news is I bring in & manage about $1 mil in grants each year, unlike my neighboring town's counterpart. Seems kinda foolish to eliminate my salary & end up losing that revenue, dontcha think? :rolleyes:

Nah. Once a person one-stars a thread it's mathematically impossible to get back to 5. Well, not impossible, we'd just need like a zillion more forum members. :p

I've noticed that too. I gave you a 5 too Laura.
I think it's stooping pretty low to hit the one star on a thread like this. :( I don't know how that can make someone feel better?

The good news is I bring in & manage about $1 mil in grants each year, unlike my neighboring town's counterpart. Seems kinda foolish to eliminate my salary & end up losing that revenue, dontcha think? :rolleyes:

Laura, that may be the thing that saves you. If you're bringing in money, they would be foolish to get rid of you. (Try explaining that to the taxpayers at election time!)

Still, nothing is guaranteed so I can see why you would be concerned. Keep us posted and good luck!

Tami, I apologize, I didn't realize you worked for govmt as well. I'm in muni govmt so there's no possibility of closing a dept. & sending jobs somewhere else. But I'm standing by my union statement--I think part of it has something to do w/the state--NJ has all kinds of binding arbitration laws that essentially guarantee union positions unless someone dies or is convicted of a felony. Not a misdemeanor, a felony. :p Crap, we found out a few months ago one of our dump truck/snow plow drivers hadn't had a drivers license for 7 years, much less his CDL. Punishment? 2 days suspension, w/the option to use vacation days instead. Can you imagine? :eek:.

You have no need to apologize Laura.

quote=LauraMax;] In all seriousness, I would not wish the loss of livelihood on my worst enemy. While I know the forum member who evidently would, I previously didn't think she was this spiteful & just plain evil. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised she is, but I am.[/quote]

I'm not sure who this forum member is you are referring to but you two need to hug and make up for heavens sake. :D

6449927_bodyshot_175x233.gif

This thread actually deserves a one star rating because it is a terrible thing that this has happened to Laura (and is happening to many people in our country.)

Just sayin' :(

in our city there have been 88 city employees laid off just yesterday to 'help balance the budget". The animal control unit of 5 included. Now the ACU will be a part of the Animal Rescue League and those 5 can apply for a job at the ARL. I bet IF they do and they do get hired it will be nowhere near what they WERE making.

Hey Netta, I work for CDCR also at RJD, what a trip. Yeah, the couples are gonna get the hardest hit.

Wow, small world. I work at CCC, my sister works up the hill at HDSP. She just got hired in November as an OA, so if there are layoffs, she's near the top of the list. She works in the Mental Health dept. I work in the Camp Division as an AGPA. How about you? I hear the budget may get signed on Friday.

Jeanette

This thread actually deserves a one star rating because it is a terrible thing that this has happened to Laura (and is happening to many people in our country.)

Just sayin' :(

That's true. I never looked at it from that angle. Unfortunately, it appears to be more of a personal attack because every single time Laura author's a thread, someone hits her thread with a one star. No matter what the subject title.

My husband's company is going through some scary bad times too. They had to suspend cost of living pay increases and lay off a few people. They are working overtime to meet the bare minimum to stay above water. The economy is bad everywhere.

Wow, small world. I work at CCC, my sister works up the hill at HDSP. She just got hired in November as an OA, so if there are layoffs, she's near the top of the list. She works in the Mental Health dept. I work in the Camp Division as an AGPA. How about you? I hear the budget may get signed on Friday.

Jeanette

I'm a Parole Associate at RJD. My daughter just got hired there also in the mailroom (OA) and if they do layoffs, she might get the boot.

Laura, I'm so sorry!! Sending good vibes your way!!

I lost my job (not government) due to a merger the week before Christmas. I wouldn't wish anything similar on my worst enemy.

I did get another job which with a gigantic pay cut, but I am very grateful to be employed.

{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Travis

Hey Tami are you a postal worker? The way your post reads you sound like one. They are having talks of doing the same thing at mail processing facility.

I'm postal, too. Really scary chat going on here. I'm a mail handler and a vet so I'm safer than most but I talked with a Clerk buddy tonight who told me her union steward told her that, since their contract is up this year, they're looking at big pay cuts and that they should probably polish up their resumes. Let's face it, if the pay weren't decent, most of us would work for someone else. For what my friend told me they want to cut the clerk's hourly wages down to, the physical demands of the job just aren't worth it... or wouldn't ordinarily be worth it. But there's nowhere else to go now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.