Well, I just took a pay cut

Oh no!!!! :(

I am so sorry Laura!!! I hope you keep your job. I hope the pay cut staves off anymore layoffs. I know how you feel 100%!!! That is exactly how I felt during December and January at my job. I was just waiting for the shoe to drop. Hopefully that won't happen in your case!

My sister is in the Boston Public Schools teachers union and she is also waiting to hear if she is getting laid off. She was just hired in August 08 so she is really nervous as most people are nowadays. (I know what unions you mean though since I am familiar with the NJ/PA union politics.)

If there is a light at the end of this abysmal tunnel, the recession is finally hitting the Northeast hard and it seems like we are always last to get hit in down times. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that after this part of the country settles down and gets reorganized, perhaps things will start to pick up again. It will take time, but the important thing is that it will happen. JMHO and observations.

Good luck to you Laura - I hope everything works out!

{{{Hugs}}}

PS - I saw you only got one star on this thread so I voted 5, which brought it up to 3 stars now. The OSB (One Star Bandit) has struck again!

Last edited:
Willingly, I might add. They cut the pay of all management staff--not by much, but enough to save the town $250K.

The worst of it is they're planning layoffs, & our sister town--the town in which I live, BTW--just cut 17 positions, one of which was my counterpart. I'm pretty much crapping my pants here. I just don't know what I'll do if I lose my job. There are certainly no job openings in govmt right now, if not laying off, in a hiring freeze.

I won't know for about a month whether or not I'm out the door, so I'll have to sit here & sweat while 7 people determine whether or not I'll lose my house & move back in w/my dad. :eek:

Funny (not in a ha ha kind of way), one of the reasons I went into govmt was for the job security. I could've gone to law school or become a lobbyist, but I wanted the pension & the security. Now I might lose it all.

While the town council continues to piss away money on their pet projects. While the union employees w/union protection sit around all day w/their thumbs up their a$$es. Not a slam on union employees (I'd be one if I had the option!), just a slam on union employees where I work. ;)

Anyway, send me good vibes, I'm very scared. :confused:

Hi Laura,

My husband is a computer analyst at the local university and now they are talking serious budget cuts, hiring freezes, and probably some layoffs.

I know you are very scared - many of us are.

We would be devastated if we lost our house, but things are certainly tight now.

Our home is not even fancy. It is comfortable and we love it though.

It is the only real home I've ever had. As a child, I was very poor and we got evicted a lot.

Now I don't want to lose the only thing I've ever had...

Last edited:
Sending positives vibes for you too! It is scary out there for sure.... I hope it works out for the best for you!!!!

Laura I'm keeping my fingers crossed and sending you good luck vibes. I hope everything works out for you. BTW love your basement gym and your doggies.

Jenn

Laura, I work for the Government. They are playing all kinds of tricks for instance I already mentioned that they are talking about transfering an entire craft to another city. This would be aprox 112 workers. Well of course not all those people are just going to be able to pick up and move-they have familys and roots here.

At another installation a couple miles away from us they have eliminated tour 2. All but about 12 people have to go to nights either on tour 1 (midnight to 8am) or tour3 (4pm to 12:30 am). Some of those people have been there 25 years and it took them years to get enough senority to get to day hours. The higher ups are doing this to save $$ supposedly. I ask how will this save $$? These people will now get night differential so they will be paying more money out. They (mgmt)think we're stupid. We all know that the idea behind this is to force people to retire early because they are not going to want to go back to nights.

6449927_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Hey Tami are you a postal worker? The way your post reads you sound like one. They are having talks of doing the same thing at mail processing facility.

Laura--I'm sorry to hear this. My dh is an electrician and does a lot of new construction. Right now there is work, but I think that it's no longer a matter of if he will become unemployed, but when. Keep us posted.

Maggie

Oh, Laura, that is terrible. I am sending all my positive Chi and prayers in your direction!!

(Incidentally, I work for the government, too, but as a DoD contractor... I'm right there with you.. they're way more likely to cut contractors first, so I'm really worried...)

I am pulling for you!!

MC

Laura,

Hang in there. I'm hoping everything will be alright with you. So sorry things are hectic lately, especially in the job market.

Great vibes your way,

Janie

Last edited:
So sorry to hear and keeping good thoughts for your continued employment.

Getting really scary out there. Just spoke with one of my ex-ees (that I had to terminate - HR Witch is my title :eek:) and he has been out of work since July. He is a little specialized - box manufacturing for nearly his entire career of about 20 + years.

I just keep optomistic that things will turn around sooner rather than later. And try to watch the $ as much as possible.

Keep us posted.

Laura, I feel for you.

I work for the State of California and we just got a pay cut too. I worried how I'm gonna make it. I'm already robbing Peter to pay Paul. I recently contacted my creditors to see if they would work out a payment arrangement with me. It was either that or going to a debt settlement company.

We really need to pray for this country because it seems to be in dire straits right now.

Laura, I feel for you.

I work for the State of California and we just got a pay cut too. I worried how I'm gonna make it. I'm already robbing Peter to pay Paul. I recently contacted my creditors to see if they would work out a payment arrangement with me. It was either that or going to a debt settlement company.

We really need to pray for this country because it seems to be in dire straits right now.

Nspire,
I too work for the State (CDCR) and have 2 furlough days a month, which will be around a 10% paycut. The town we live in has 2 state prisons and so many people work at these prisons. Lots of couples employed that will each be getting a 10% cut in pay. For some, it can be $1000/mo. or more paycut for the family. Just hoping Arnold doesn't start the layoffs too. I have 18 years of service so I'm not too worried about a layoff, but darn, are we heading toward Mad Max times?

Jeanette

Oh girl, I'm praying hard this doesn't happen to you. Our union stewards have been telling us for a while that we need to radically alter our expectations from here on in and how lucky we are to have jobs at all. My veteran status makes me one of the last who'll be messed with but let's face it, this thing could ultimately get everyone. And who wants to watch destruction happen to everyone else, anyway?

Good God. What is this country going to do?

OMG nspire & Jeannette--I'm keeping fingers crossed for you! I saw the news this morning & CA is in pretty bad shape.

Tami, I apologize, I didn't realize you worked for govmt as well. I'm in muni govmt so there's no possibility of closing a dept. & sending jobs somewhere else. But I'm standing by my union statement--I think part of it has something to do w/the state--NJ has all kinds of binding arbitration laws that essentially guarantee union positions unless someone dies or is convicted of a felony. Not a misdemeanor, a felony. :p Crap, we found out a few months ago one of our dump truck/snow plow drivers hadn't had a drivers license for 7 years, much less his CDL. Punishment? 2 days suspension, w/the option to use vacation days instead. Can you imagine? :eek:

As far as the OSB goes, I cannot imagine what kind of an a$$hole would consciously try to hurt someone in this situation. Well, not true, actually I can. ;) In all seriousness, I would not wish the loss of livelihood on my worst enemy. While I know the forum member who evidently would, I previously didn't think she was this spiteful & just plain evil. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised she is, but I am.

Gosh...I have missed something regarding the "evil forum person". It is times like this which SHOULD make all realize that we ALL have our challenges and rough roads. Who in their right mind would be spiteful...

Well, Laura, I voted this thread Excellent so maybe that will help put the OSB in her place. Have no idea who it is, but I think that sort of cr@p is nonsense! :mad:

I hope you keep your job and your home! These are scary times we are living in. Everyone I work with is just working as hard and fast as they can, hoping if they don't poke their heads up to take a look arount, they'll stay out of the line of fire.

Laura: I am sending you positives vibes But, please don't push the panic button yet. We all our in the same boat, heck just yesterday one of the bosses here said to me, he hope the economy picks up or we ALL are out of jobs! And looking at his facial expression, said a lot, really, it scared me. I didn’t think it could or would happen here, but it can. All I can suggest to you to me and to everyone else is this, Pray! What else can we do. Stay encourage, God can and will see all of us though these trying times. Now, my friend, don’t think about giving up your GYM or ANYTHING else.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.