Today I hate that morning jogger

dss62467

Cathlete
If you were out jogging early in the morning and someone was outside letting their dogs out to do their business, and one of the dogs started running with you down the road, while cars were coming....wouldn't you stop and jog back to the house where said dog lives, or at least jog in place until the owner of that dog could come get her? Sheesh! Cricket is a herder, it's a very strong instinct to chase. This chick just keeps running and running, and I'm in sportos and not wearing a bra....not like I can come chasing after her. Thankfully Cricket has had some obedience training and I was able to finally get her back - even though she was 2 houses away by then.

If I'm walking my dogs and someone else's dog is outside and sees us and starts chasing, I stop and wait until the owners can come get them. If cars are coming....I absolutely stay still.

This chick's rationale probably is that the dog should have been on a leash....but it was 6:00 a.m. and I have a really big yard. You don't expect people to be out and about and the dog originally wasn't even close to the road. She's just clueless.

I have had dogs run at while walking before & yes I do stop & wait or even help the owner get the dog. I guess people who don't have dogs don't think about it.
Glad to hear you were able to get your dog back safely! Isn't it a bit cold for him to be jogging? I'm not a runner , must be weather makes no diifference ????

I have had dogs run at while walking before & yes I do stop & wait or even help the owner get the dog. I guess people who don't have dogs don't think about it.

ITA.
I think only dog people would get it. Maybe some cat peopel:p

Sorry to hear about your morning.:( That must have been scary. Glad no one was hurt.

When my old man was still a young dog, I had taken him for a walk in the woods nearby. He got ahead of me and ended up following the local school's cross country team who were training in the woods. He ran for miles with them, but they tied him up and called me to let me know where he was. That was scary.

I would definitely have stopped, as I've had it happen to me numerous times. However, it irritates me because 1) the dog should have been on a leash, and 2) I never know for sure if the dog is going to bite me.

I'm glad you were able to get your dog to come back.

In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have stopped if you were outside calling for your dog. I love animals but I don't have a dog and I really wouldn't be able to tell if that dog was a herder or not. I have been chased by dogs numerous times. The majority of the time the owner is nowhere to be seen. I have had dogs follow me for miles and start running in the street, in front of cars, etc. I have tried to keep them out of the street but they don't listen to me. I don't know their names and they don't have tags.

I understand where you are coming from but I really don't think it's the jogger/walker's responsibility to take care of your dog. I don't mean to be harsh but this really irks me. I see so many dogs wandering around our town with owners but not on leashes, without their owners and without tags. I have seen people hit dogs when they suddenly dart into the street and I've seen drivers risk their own safety to avoid hitting dogs. If you have a dog then it's your responsibility to keep it safe at all times.

Sorry...JMHO,

Last edited:
Neither DH nor I jog, we live in the country and cycle during the summer. We stop for no dog. The owners are rarely ever out and DH actually had one bite him on the ankle last summer. He was in the middle of the road and on his bike riding when it happened. I'd been chased by the same dog but managed to out ride it. Now we don't go down that way at all. It's really hard to judge fast enough if the dog is just running to run or running to get you. I have no problem with dogs in general, I've had dogs, but once they leave their property I'm not trusting them enough to stop and I've tried to rescue enough dogs in my distant past to know they seldom will come to strangers.

I've actually almost given up running because of loose dogs. (I will only run if my husband goes on his bike ahead of me to scope out loose dogs.)

There are no sidewalks where I live and when a dog comes running out at me, my instincts cause me to jump into the street. I could get killed if a car happened to be coming!

My dog got loose once and started following a jogger. He kept running. As soon as I scooped my 55 pound goomer up in my arms, I kept apologizing to the jogger. (I think I scared him a little. I was pretty emotional.)

I am very glad you got your dog back safe and sound. You gotta love 'em!!! I'm a "water dog" person myself but I am fascinated by the herding breeds. What fun!

It's not the jogger's responsibility to interrupt her morning exercise simply because you do not have control over your dog. It's YOUR responsibility to have control over your dog at all times in public (be it on or off leash). And seriously, if this was the Corgi and she bit the jogger (as Corgis tend to nip while herding), you could be in serious trouble - and the corgi could be deemed a dangerous dog and there are all sorts of bad consequences with that.

If you do not have total recall - if your dog will not stop everything and come when you call no matter what - you should not be letting him/her outside off leash by a road for the safety of the dog - especially dogs that chase things. Today it was the jogger - tomorrow it could be a squirrel that runs across the street in front of a car.

I disagree

the only time my dog is outside without a leash, is when he is in his fenced backyard.

If that was me walking this am, I would be a little upset , as I would have no idea of what your dogs intentions were as he was chasing me. Sorry

I am sure the jogger was not happy to have YOUR dog chasing her?? ITA with Jane and Christine!! Take responsibility and don't blame someone else for your actions?

You are taking your frustration of your runaway dog out on the jogger.

I would never stop for a dog that is chasing me. I have no idea if it's tame or is going to rip me to shreds, even if the owner is yelling at it.

It's your responsibility to have the dog on a leash or under your control at all times.

If you were out jogging early in the morning and someone was outside letting their dogs out to do their business, and one of the dogs started running with you down the road, while cars were coming....wouldn't you stop and jog back to the house where said dog lives, or at least jog in place until the owner of that dog could come get her?

I'm not a dog owner, and don't really know squat about dogs. I had no idea before reading this that anyone would expect a passerby to wait/jog back. My instinct would be to run like hell (not that I think I could outrun a dog :) ) because I am kind of afraid of dogs, especially bigger ones! Well, this is a new learning for me today. Maybe the running chick didn't know either.

I would never stop for a dog that is chasing me. I have no idea if it's tame or is going to rip me to shreds, even if the owner is yelling at it.

I was taught in dog school to stop and turn my body posture to the side and yell NO. Most dogs know the word no.
My son was bit on the butt by running away from a dog.

I'm not condoning off leash. I've stopped walking my dogs in my subdivision because my poor Mercedes was attacked twice(by the same dog) off leash. The owner told ME who was crying, that I was overreacting. My baby was getting mauled and I was overreacting.
I was told to carry mace by the police dept. I was afraid I would hurt my dog by accident. So, I drive my guys to a park for walks or my husband takes them. He's not afraid like I am.

It's not the jogger's responsibility to interrupt her morning exercise simply because you do not have control over your dog. It's YOUR responsibility to have control over your dog at all times in public (be it on or off leash). And seriously, if this was the Corgi and she bit the jogger (as Corgis tend to nip while herding), you could be in serious trouble - and the corgi could be deemed a dangerous dog and there are all sorts of bad consequences with that.

If you do not have total recall - if your dog will not stop everything and come when you call no matter what - you should not be letting him/her outside off leash by a road for the safety of the dog - especially dogs that chase things. Today it was the jogger - tomorrow it could be a squirrel that runs across the street in front of a car.

1) The dog doesn't bite
2) We weren't by the road, we were far back on my property
3) Not in public....I was on my private property.
4) Didn't want her to "interrupt" her exercise, just jog in place or something.
5) Whatever

I'm a huge dog lover, but you really should walk your dog on a leash. It's not the jogger's responsibility to look after your dog.

Honestly, it makes me crazy when I try to jog with Rascal or go for a bike ride and have to worry about someone else's off leash dog chasing us up the road.

1) The dog doesn't bite
4) Didn't want her to "interrupt" her exercise, just jog in place or something.
5) Whatever

You don't get it, it's your responsibility to control your dog. You KNOW your dog has strong chase instincts yet you allow it out where it could take off after a jogger, rabbit, anything and then it might be put in danger or your dog could trip/bite/harm someone else.

Take responsibility for your own actions and stop trying to blame the jogger.

??? Your first sentence was that the dog was running down the road, with cars coming.

"If you were out jogging early in the morning and someone was outside letting their dogs out to do their business, and one of the dogs started running with you down the road, while cars were coming....wouldn't you stop and jog back to the house where said dog lives, or at least jog in place until the owner of that dog could come get her?"

I think I get your frustration, because he's your baby and you know he's not vicious. But I have to agree that he should be restrained when he can run off like that. I'm also terrified of loose dogs. My sister and I were attacked my loose dogs when we were riding our bikes as kids--and that's something I'll never forget. Those dogs were someone's pets, but they were out for blood at that moment. If I were in that situation again and had a weapon to defend myself, I would use it. Not saying this applies to your guy, just that those are the thoughts of most people who encounter strange dogs. They aren't worried about protecting someone's pet, but rather themselves.

Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.