Today I hate that morning jogger

1) The dog doesn't bite
2) We weren't by the road, we were far back on my property
3) Not in public....I was on my private property.
4) Didn't want her to "interrupt" her exercise, just jog in place or something.
5) Whatever

1) How was the jogger to know that?
2) At the point where the dog was chasing the jogger, she was indeed on public property
3) You started on private property, but it didn't end up that way.
4) That would be interrupting, regardless.
5) No comment.

O.k. I've rescued at least eight loose dogs over the past few years. Not while I was running (hate running) but dogs that were obviously lost and in risk of getting hit by cars. Luckily they all had tags and I was able to find their owners. Having said that I've also seen many dogs chasing runners. I've never seen a runner stop and quite frankly neither would I. They are BEING CHASED by an unknown dog. They have no idea if the dog is friendly or not. I've stopped for a few lost dogs that showed signs of aggression and I hope all the best for them but I let them keep running. It's your dog and your responsibility. Unless this women was trespassing on your property you need to be ready to go after your dog even if it is six o'clock in the morning.

Most towns/cities have leash laws as well.

We have leash laws where I live and it doesn't seem to interest some people in the least. And it's usually the ones with out-of-control dogs. I don't care if people have their dog off-leash as long as they can control them.

Just yesterday I was jogging back home alongside a wash and this Australian cattledog mix comes barging after us with her owner screaming at the top of his lungs. So here I am with 5 dogs on a leash and his damn dog jumping all over them and barking. She didn't back off, her owner was too far and I didn't want to risk a dog fight, so I sprayed her with citronella spray/spray shield. He comes running and yelling at me "how dare you hurt my dog, she just wanted to play, she is very well behaved". Yeah, I can see that one clearly. Put your flippin' dog on a leash if she doesn't listen to commands and don't complain if I control YOUR dog. Geez!

Last edited:
HA! I knew I'd get you guys going! :)

Cricket didn't chase her, she came back as soon as I called. Her new training is going great and she listens very well now. That said...I'm rural, not in a development, and the house is not close to the road. If it were, I wouldn't let her off leash. And FWIW, I would definitely have stopped if somebody's dog was trying to join the fun.

We are a subdivision nestled in a rural setting and half my neighbors believe it is "safe" to allow their dogs to run off leash. We all own at least 2 acres of land and the street is private with very little traffic. It doesn't change the fact that humans walk the street.
These dogs may not be people aggressive, but several are territorial and are dog aggressive. I feel this endangers everyone.

I googled to see if what I was taught in dog school was correct. They say you should not run from a dog.

http://www.securityworld.com/ia-437-dealing-with-aggressive-dogs-and-dog-attacks.aspx

Donna, PLEASE be careful! Besides the fact that it likely is illegal, rural area or not your dog could be in danger. When I lived in southern VA--and it was totally the boonies--my boss used to let her golden retriever run loose, & the poor thing was killed by a Fedex truck.

If you have a large property, can you maybe fence in a portion of it for your dog? Forget the jogger, do the leash or the fence for your dog's sake.

HA! I knew I'd get you guys going! :)

Cricket didn't chase her, she came back as soon as I called. Her new training is going great and she listens very well now. That said...I'm rural, not in a development, and the house is not close to the road. If it were, I wouldn't let her off leash. And FWIW, I would definitely have stopped if somebody's dog was trying to join the fun.

:confused:

Donna, PLEASE be careful! Besides the fact that it likely is illegal, rural area or not your dog could be in danger. When I lived in southern VA--and it was totally the boonies--my boss used to let her golden retriever run loose, & the poor thing was killed by a Fedex truck.

If you have a large property, can you maybe fence in a portion of it for your dog? Forget the jogger, do the leash or the fence for your dog's sake.

Laura is right. My boss's dog was hit by a car and killed about a month ago. They live in a rural area and the dog was always running around free outside.

Amy

As a runner, dog trainer and owner of three herding breed dogs, I just want to interject a little in this thread.

If you are running and a loose dog charges you, stopping and turning to face the dog without making eye contact is usually your best bet. Also, say SIT or NO is a firm, deep voice. The vast majority of dogs will at least stop at this and you can turn and walk away. If they follow, turn around and repeat the NO or tell them to GO HOME. If you keep running, they will keep chasing. I would rather stop and face a dog I don't know than continue to provoke its prey response.

Of course, this won't stop a truly vicious dog but lets face it, 95% of us aren't going to outrun a truly vicious dog either and most of the dogs we meet on the road are not intent on doing serious bodily harm to runners. They are over stimulated and out of control. Stopping helps to diffuse the situation and significantly reduces the chance that a dog will nip or bite.

Should you have to stop? No of course not! Dogs should be onleash, behind a solid fence or under voice control. But in a less than ideal world, runners should be prepared to act constructively in these situations. I just wanted to add this for those runners who may not be dog people - mostly I lurk here.

Lisa

PS - Being a herding breed is not an excuse. It's simply a set of genetic predispositions that require appropriate training to control and direct. It's no more appropriate for a herding breed dog to chase people than any other breed. She is chasing, not herding. Herding instincts are only a modification of prey drive and without appropriate channelling will quickly get a dog in trouble.

Oh boy, here comes my rant. Dogs allowed to run loose in neighborhoods are a huge pet peeve of mine. I used to be a stopper, but no more. I will not stop for you to catch your dog and I'll even cross the street while cars are coming to keep your dog away from me , if he get's hit, not my fault, yours. I'll throw rocks at your dog or sticks or whatever I can pick up if I have too. Keep your dogs on a leash or fenced in or under some other form of control. Rural (these are the WORST!) or otherwise makes no difference. I will yell at you and tell you how I feel. You can tell I've been chased many a time, so I'm bitter about it. I think it's one of the rudest things ever, to think someone is not affected by this and should be all nice and calm.

It's the owners that have no care in the world and think their dogs can do no wrong that bother me most. In my own personal experience the dog owners that have been worst culprits are the early morning bathroom-letter-outers. This is the time to really pay attention to your dog because this is when most people go out to exercise! We don't want to be constantly watching every drive-way or tree or parked car we pass for that dog to dart out and scare the h*ll out of us.

I'm very accommodating in planned situations, where we all have our dogs off leash, like on some dog friendly trails I ride and hike. I'll do whatever I can to help you with whatever problem you and your dog have.

I will go out of my way to save any stray dog (done it many times) I see and make sure I get him in a safe situation...if I can catch him, that is.

I don't know that I would have stopped either but only because I was bitten by a dog while walking. I was walking in the neighborhood behind where I work. A lady was coming toward me with her dog ON A LEASH. She stopped because the dog was sniffing, I stopped to allow her to pass. The dog jumped up on me and bit my arm. Now, I don't stop...even if it is a little chihuahua!

My experience aside, I have a co-worker whose dog sometimes gets loose. I know it is very frustrating for her that her neighbors will not hold onto the dog if he runs up to them when they see her chasing after him.

Carrie

Oh boy, here comes my rant. Dogs allowed to run loose in neighborhoods are a huge pet peeve of mine. I used to be a stopper, but no more. I will not stop for you to catch your dog and I'll even cross the street while cars are coming to keep your dog away from me , if he get's hit, not my fault, yours. I'll throw rocks at your dog or sticks or whatever I can pick up if I have too. Keep your dogs on a leash or fenced in or under some other form of control. Rural (these are the WORST!) or otherwise makes no difference. I will yell at you and tell you how I feel. You can tell I've been chased many a time, so I'm bitter about it. I think it's one of the rudest things ever, to think someone is not affected by this and should be all nice and calm.

It's the owners that have no care in the world and think their dogs can do no wrong that bother me most. In my own personal experience the dog owners that have been worst culprits are the early morning bathroom-letter-outers. This is the time to really pay attention to your dog because this is when most people go out to exercise! We don't want to be constantly watching every drive-way or tree or parked car we pass for that dog to dart out and scare the h*ll out of us.

I'm very accommodating in planned situations, where we all have our dogs off leash, like on some dog friendly trails I ride and hike. I'll do whatever I can to help you with whatever problem you and your dog have.

I will go out of my way to save any stray dog (done it many times) I see and make sure I get him in a safe situation...if I can catch him, that is.

DITTO on all points!

That is horrible!!!

I was taught in dog school to stop and turn my body posture to the side and yell NO. Most dogs know the word no.
My son was bit on the butt by running away from a dog.

I'm not condoning off leash. I've stopped walking my dogs in my subdivision because my poor Mercedes was attacked twice(by the same dog) off leash. The owner told ME who was crying, that I was overreacting. My baby was getting mauled and I was overreacting.
I was told to carry mace by the police dept. I was afraid I would hurt my dog by accident. So, I drive my guys to a park for walks or my husband takes them. He's not afraid like I am.

Ugh - that was so crass of that man. I am sorry that happened to your baby!

My dog is quite large. Even though he is a sweetheart to me and my family, I am sure he can be intimidating to other people who do not know him. We never walk him off the leash. He is a hunting dog and although he very obedient, if he catches the scent of an animal or sees a bird flying in his field of vision, he will take off like a shot! He once caught a blue jay in mid flight. It flew in front of his face (very daring) while he was urinating and Thor just chomped it! He tried to give me the present afterward lol. But knowing this, we just can't risk it.

My father was walking in Valley Forge park a few summers ago and this little dog got away from his owner and bit my father on the leg. He had to go to the doctor and get stitches. The woman gave the park ranger false information so he was not able to follow up with her. There is a leash law in PA. The dog MUST be on a leash at all times and in control of the owner unless confined in a fenced in yard. The leash length maximum is 6 feet.

I agree with the folks here about it being your responsibility. Not everyone loves animals and dogs. Plus, you don't want to get sued.

Last edited:
My neighbor tells everyone that complains about his loose dog that they should get a life!:mad:
Perfect timing, our subdivision just emailed new restriction guidelines.
They have politely addressed the loose dog problem for at least 3 years. Now, they are going to take action. I hope they mean what they say!!!

[FONT=&quot]Repeat Violators of Restrictions [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The trustees have talked with the subdivision lawyer about the repeat restriction violations. We will be writing a friendly reminder to first time violators. Those who are repeat offenders will be given 10 days to rectify the matter. If the restriction is not being complied with, then a court injunction will be filed. If the resident continues to violate the restriction, he/she will be held in contempt of court.[/FONT]

I did not know this...

As a runner, dog trainer and owner of three herding breed dogs, I just want to interject a little in this thread.

If you are running and a loose dog charges you, stopping and turning to face the dog without making eye contact is usually your best bet. Also, say SIT or NO is a firm, deep voice. The vast majority of dogs will at least stop at this and you can turn and walk away. If they follow, turn around and repeat the NO or tell them to GO HOME. If you keep running, they will keep chasing. I would rather stop and face a dog I don't know than continue to provoke its prey response.

Of course, this won't stop a truly vicious dog but lets face it, 95% of us aren't going to outrun a truly vicious dog either and most of the dogs we meet on the road are not intent on doing serious bodily harm to runners. They are over stimulated and out of control. Stopping helps to diffuse the situation and significantly reduces the chance that a dog will nip or bite.

Should you have to stop? No of course not! Dogs should be onleash, behind a solid fence or under voice control. But in a less than ideal world, runners should be prepared to act constructively in these situations. I just wanted to add this for those runners who may not be dog people - mostly I lurk here.

Lisa

PS - Being a herding breed is not an excuse. It's simply a set of genetic predispositions that require appropriate training to control and direct. It's no more appropriate for a herding breed dog to chase people than any other breed. She is chasing, not herding. Herding instincts are only a modification of prey drive and without appropriate channelling will quickly get a dog in trouble.

I have to be honest - I would be terrified if a deranged out of control dog chased me down and attacked me. I have heard and read a lot of stories about dogs that are illegally trained as fighting dogs mauling people. What do you do about them? I don't think anything will stop them! We don't have any in my neighborhood that I know of, but I am sure they are out there.

1) The dog doesn't bite
2) We weren't by the road, we were far back on my property
3) Not in public....I was on my private property.
4) Didn't want her to "interrupt" her exercise, just jog in place or something.
5) Whatever

1 - ALL dogs bite given the right circumstances. Don't be naive.
2 - Does not matter WHERE you were. If the dog has access to public property, and YOU do not have TOTAL recall - the dog needs to be on leash. Period. End of sentence.
3 - It was NOT on private property. You do not own the street. See number 2
4 - Um - you dog is YOUR responsibility - not the joggers - I would not have stopped either. I would have assumed that since you were there, YOU would deal with YOUR dog.
5 - Your attitude is why there are so many bans on dogs in public. Thank you for making the ownership of my well trained, well behaved dog who would never chase a jogger even if he were off leash that much harder.

And if your dog came running right back when you called, why all the fuss to start with? Did you post this just to get people upset? If so, why? There's no need for such things.

Last edited:
AWESOME!!!!

My neighbor tells everyone that complains about his loose dog that they should get a life!:mad:
Perfect timing, our subdivision just emailed new restriction guidelines.
They have politely addressed the loose dog problem for at least 3 years. Now, they are going to take action. I hope they mean what they say!!!

[FONT=&quot]Repeat Violators of Restrictions [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The trustees have talked with the subdivision lawyer about the repeat restriction violations. We will be writing a friendly reminder to first time violators. Those who are repeat offenders will be given 10 days to rectify the matter. If the restriction is not being complied with, then a court injunction will be filed. If the resident continues to violate the restriction, he/she will be held in contempt of court.[/FONT]

That is good news!!! Hopefully that man gets a clue and leashes his dogs!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.