Surprised when reading dvd reviews

I can understand why you may think that...let me give my take. Since I started working out with DVDs, there is a certain ambiance that is created in each. For me it's a little escape into someone else's place, for instance, the Body Blast series always has a beachy feel to me, Bodymax 2, that woodsy cabin-like, yet the music has some city-like sounds in the beginning and the songs that just draw me in. It's all very motivating.

There are other instructors I like that do this really well too, you just know they put thought into what they were creating. In addition to the set, backdrop or not, and music, lyrics or not, the crew or instructor adds in another dimension. That can be a gym setting, outside, whatever.

I thought about these things when I did a short bout of strong lifts barbell work, like Starting Strength, the simplicity of just lifting, straight heavy lifting is very appealing. Sometimes that is what I want, or relaxing meditative yoga. I really started with Cathe though for the whole package, the workouts, her, the crew, which are quite awesome this time around too, and the music.

:)

Nice explanation of that perspective. :)

I originally downloaded the workouts with vocals but wasn't distracted by them and ended up with the instrumentals. I'm just grateful for the options. We all have our personal preferences and it's great to have choices.

I completely understand those for whom music does not make or break a workout. I just happen to be someone who wont do a workout unless I find the music fantastic. It cant even be just good. It has to be superb.

I realise music tastes differ widely. The music in *my* workout needs to appeal to *me* enormously. Otherwise I WILL NOT do the workout.

I can't be bothered to play my own music.

I can't be bothered if some judge me as being lazy and unmotivated either. I will happily continue to do the workouts I enjoy, with music that rocks.

For the record, I enjoy Cathe's music selections, almost all the time.

I completely understand those who love every workout Cathe puts out. Although lately I dont buy as much Cathe because my fitness level is no longer so advanced, I love the Cathes I own. Her least inspired work is still way above average in my opinion.

What I don't get is upholding an opinion as the only possible opinion, and classifying all contrary thinking as mean-spirited/foolish/or in some other way, invalid.

I think Cathe puts a lot of effort into every aspect of production. She is genuine and I greatly respect that. She does not sell gimmicks or get on to bandwagons for a fast buck. She puts a lot of thought into each workout. She also makes a great variety of workouts and once in a way if someone does not like something from her, could it just be that the person is expressing an honest opinion?

Cathe seems to listen to constructive feedback and uses it to make each new production even better and more appealing to diverse tastes. She has incorporated feedback to give multiple music options, low-impact, compound-only strength premixes, and so much more. This has only grown her business and her consumer base.

How would she do that if no contrary opinion is allowed? By denouncing people who express anything less than stellar, a well-intentioned fan could drive away her audience, instead of letting Cathe listen to what they have to say and evaluate for herself if those opinions can be considered in her future efforts.

In ending, I have a confession. I am guilty of feeling upset about negative feedback of instructors in the past, myself. My open mindedness is a relatively recent development.

Last edited:
Everyone has different views, different tastes and preferences, and everyone is entitled to tell their own truth. If someone does not like something that I do like, so what? Why should I be concerned? Just accept that not everyone likes things the same as you, and they have as much right to say what they feel about something as you do.
And...music matters to me very much, but that's just my preference.

Last edited:
Ok, everyone, just remember every person is entitled to their opinion. Doesn't make it right, wrong and certainly shouldn't be offensive if expressed appropriately. We are all adults and should be able to handle both the bad and the good. Certainly we can't expect everyone to feel the same or have the same perspective. Thet's both the beauty and challenge of diversity.

Personally, I love Cathe. Now being over 40, Cathe is as advance as I will ever get and I'm quite satisfied with that. I can see growing old with her. :D Although I haven't tried any yet, I've previewed all the new DVDs and I think I will love them. I do not like dancy steps, but I think I will be able to do Step #1, or at least that's my hope.

So for those that are looking for a challenge like the moves in Insanity ny Shaun T., then Cathe is not your person.

I can understand why you may think that...let me give my take. Since I started working out with DVDs, there is a certain ambiance that is created in each. For me it's a little escape into someone else's place, for instance, the Body Blast series always has a beachy feel to me, Bodymax 2, that woodsy cabin-like, yet the music has some city-like sounds in the beginning and the songs that just draw me in. It's all very motivating.

There are other instructors I like that do this really well too, you just know they put thought into what they were creating. In addition to the set, backdrop or not, and music, lyrics or not, the crew or instructor adds in another dimension. That can be a gym setting, outside, whatever.

I thought about these things when I did a short bout of strong lifts barbell work, like Starting Strength, the simplicity of just lifting, straight heavy lifting is very appealing. Sometimes that is what I want, or relaxing meditative yoga. I really started with Cathe though for the whole package, the workouts, her, the crew, which are quite awesome this time around too, and the music.

:)

I understand your point. I guess when you have been working out with an instructor for a period of time there is a certain ambience that you come to expect. Also I probably could have worded my initial posting a little better because I honestly wasn't even thinking of anyone on this forum when I typed out my response because, different musical taste or not, we pretty much all enjoy most of Cathe's offerings for one reason or another.

I actually had in mind some of the hateful posters on the Video Fitness Forum that always seem to criticize Cathe no matter what from the music to "supposedly" always doing the same moves and never taking any risks to her choice of wardrobe (which in my opinion is ridiculous and her choice of clothing shouldn't even matter) and this and that and yada yada yada...blah blah blah. Now granted some constructive feedback is warranted and some of it is actually legit, but some of the comments on that forum border on being downright silly with nothing helpful to offer.

But I guess in the grand scheme of things it's probably not that serious. I'm sure Cathe knows the wants and needs of her core audience and who her fans are and I guess in the end that is all that matters

I actually had in mind some of the hateful posters on the Video Fitness Forum that always seem to criticize Cathe no matter what from the music to "supposedly" always doing the same moves and never taking any risks to her choice of wardrobe (which in my opinion is ridiculous and her choice of clothing shouldn't even matter) and this and that and yada yada yada...blah blah blah. Now granted some constructive feedback is warranted and some of it is actually legit, but some of the comments on that forum border on being downright silly with nothing helpful to offer.

But I guess in the grand scheme of things it's probably not that serious. I'm sure Cathe knows the wants and needs of her core audience and who her fans are and I guess in the end that is all that matters

Maybe you should consider staying away from the VF site. Just a thought. ;)

I took a look at the reviews that started this thread and I couldn't stop laughing. She expects Cathe to do more reps because she did not know how to properly select the right weight for an exercise. Oh My!!

I couldn't figure out if it was written by a person who doesn't understand fitness basics or if the reviews were written to intentionally start a fight or create the wrong expectations before most people got their DVDs. The claim that she is a Cathe fan doesn't ring true because Cathe instructs about proper weight selection in every workout. I think this person intentionally wanted to start a fight particularly when she makes comments about Cathe's appearance. Her comments crossed a line and I would like that particular review removed. There is no other way to describe it but truly offensive to many of us. She can post those types of reviews elsewhere all she wants but not here. Her reviews felt like a poorly designed psychology experiment to see how far she can influence people's perception of the workouts. Yuck:(.

What I ask of fitness professionals is to put out workouts that reflect their approach to training based on their cumulative experience. I don't want workouts that reflect popular trends or wannabe TV personalities or fitness models with no relevant experience or training. As far as the music is concerned, a music-off option is all an instructor owes us. Most instructors don't even give us that simple option. Beyond that, any music that reflects the taste of the instructor and fits the workout is fine. I may or may not like it, but if I can hear it the job is done. Thousands buy these workouts. There is no way to please everybody. Cathe went way beyond what is expected of her in creating the music for these workouts which is definitely not reflected in the price we paid for them. She could have charged so much more like Power Music does with their workouts.

As far as the intensity goes, Cathe has always put out a mix of intensities. The recent trend is toward more intense workouts not less. Workouts like AB, AT etc... may feel more intermediate but they are actually more advanced. All you need to do is use a HR monitor. I burn 10 to 12 calories per minute doing cardio only workouts, 13 to 15 cal. for "metabolic" training workouts, and 16-18 when running. Perceived exertion is very deceptive and rarely reflects the actual intensity of the workouts. I rely strictly on my HR monitor.

So far, I had a chance to try X10 and Flex train. X10 alone is worth way more than I paid for the entire preorder. It is the most intense cardio that is available on DVD with a long lasting afterburn. There are a number of workouts that I label liquid heat and this one made it to the top of the list on first try. Blending X10 and Flex train will give me the Drill MAX2 that I have wanted for a long time. I couldn't be happier.

I agree with the poster who said that we all need to write proper reviews after doing the workouts. Not every workout is suitable for every body. Accurate reviews will help people make the right choice.

I think it's dear to see the intense loyalty Cathe engenders. It's probably not close mindedness as much as it is a deep affection for Cathe and appreciation for all she does. I'm with the last poster on how wonderful X10 is. You are right that the one DVD is worth the whole preorder price! I'm also so grateful for the choices Cathe gives us. From how we play the music (or not) to how we use the workout, it's amazing!

I took a look at the reviews that started this thread and I couldn't stop laughing. She expects Cathe to do more reps because she did not know how to properly select the right weight for an exercise. Oh My!!

I couldn't figure out if it was written by a person who doesn't understand fitness basics or if the reviews were written to intentionally start a fight or create the wrong expectations before most people got their DVDs. The claim that she is a Cathe fan doesn't ring true because Cathe instructs about proper weight selection in every workout. I think this person intentionally wanted to start a fight particularly when she makes comments about Cathe's appearance. Her comments crossed a line and I would like that particular review removed. There is no other way to describe it but truly offensive to many of us. She can post those types of reviews elsewhere all she wants but not here. Her reviews felt like a poorly designed psychology experiment to see how far she can influence people's perception of the workouts. Yuck:(.

What I ask of fitness professionals is to put out workouts that reflect their approach to training based on their cumulative experience. I don't want workouts that reflect popular trends or wannabe TV personalities or fitness models with no relevant experience or training. As far as the music is concerned, a music-off option is all an instructor owes us. Most instructors don't even give us that simple option. Beyond that, any music that reflects the taste of the instructor and fits the workout is fine. I may or may not like it, but if I can hear it the job is done. Thousands buy these workouts. There is no way to please everybody. Cathe went way beyond what is expected of her in creating the music for these workouts which is definitely not reflected in the price we paid for them. She could have charged so much more like Power Music does with their workouts.

To soapmaker,

Your guess is as good as mine on this "unhappy customer":D Lol I like your first paragraph;)

Second paragraph, she is claiming being a "Huge cathe's fan" which I hardly believe! if she was a fan for long then she would have gained more knowledge thus she would not, IMO, have asked for more reps:D:D
Two words repeated in those 3 reviews were: "Too easy":D:D

Reading all her reviews, I have hardly seen anything constructive. As a professional running classes and providing what Cathe is producing for home exercisers, of course, constructive feedback is important for upcoming productions.

What really made me get from :D:D:D steaming to boiling state was the fact she mentioned cathe's appearance. That was IRRELEVANT to the purpose of providing constructive feedbacks. Well I must confess this made me jump off my chair :mad:could not help it!! As to the removal of the review, there is no point cause the overall (including other users reviews) rating is high.:D:D:D

:);)

What really made me get from :D:D:D steaming to boiling state was the fact she mentioned cathe's appearance. That was IRRELEVANT to the purpose of providing constructive feedbacks. Well I must confess this made me jump off my chair :mad:could not help it!! As to the removal of the review, there is no point cause the overall (including other users reviews) rating is high.:D:D:D

:);)

I agree. The remark crossed a line.

I find the whole-person Cathe (personality, athletic ability, and yes, appearance) a positive role model. Looking at Cathe and her crew motivates me to keep going, when I think I can't do any more reps, because they are strong & gorgeous. I want her strong, toned legs---that's why I refuse to give up and keep doing those plyo scissors or (worse yet) plie jacks. :p

Oh dear, Soapmaker, you should probably copyright that name Liquid Heat, may I ask, pray tell, what workouts you have labelled Liquid Heat?

Oh that's a goodie. :eek:

For LIQUID HEAT, I nominate X10, Intensity, Hiit compilation, Tabatacise, TTM, IMAX 1 & 2 (haven't yet tried 3), & CrossFire.

To soapmaker, Your guess is as good as mine on this "unhappy customer":D Lol I like your first paragraph;) Second paragraph, she is claiming being a "Huge cathe's fan" which I hardly believe! if she was a fan for long then she would have gained more knowledge thus she would not, IMO, have asked for more reps:D:D Two words repeated in those 3 reviews were: "Too easy":D:D Reading all her reviews, I have hardly seen anything constructive. As a professional running classes and providing what Cathe is producing for home exercisers, of course, constructive feedback is important for upcoming productions. What really made me get from :D:D:D steaming to boiling state was the fact she mentioned cathe's appearance. That was IRRELEVANT to the purpose of providing constructive feedbacks. Well I must confess this made me jump off my chair :mad:could not help it!! As to the removal of the review, there is no point cause the overall (including other users reviews) rating is high.:D:D:D :);)

What review is this?

Thanks for the positivity!

I love this forum and all the great people (mostly positive) on it.

I can only say this about Cathe; she has helped me achieve physical fitness I've never known before. Even more I feel like she and the people who are so supportive on the forums have helped me to get healthy. I've exercised regularly for the last 5 years but wasn't eating as I should, my cholesterol in April 2013 was 243 but this week I learned it dropped to 185--This is because of her exercise videos and her consistent encouragement to eat well, sleep and make the most of life. My bad cholesterol actually dropped 70 points. I am fighting horrible genetics inherited from both sides of my family. Surrounding myself with positive, encouraging people has made achieving a better lifestyle possible.

Thanks to all of your for your great comments!

I am so glad that I'm not the only one thinking that these new workouts are great and people need to just stop complaining. One said that Cathe stopped being good at the STS series. Now, I don't have STS, but I do have just about everything before and everything after, and I'm in the best shape of my life with great cardio endurance and muscle strength. I only use Cathe cause she is the best.

Some people are just unhappy and have to be stinkers to make others as miserable....

I totally disagree about this STS comment. While all Cathe's workouts are terrific, I thought XTrain was just a superior effort, and what about Intensity and that group of workouts?..

I am THANKFUL for Cathe & crew, all of you Cathlete's and this forum. After discovering Cathe & crew my dedication to working out has not stopped. Cathe and everyone in her workouts are an inspiration! This is why I have basically bought them all.:)

Without Jai my DH would be on the couch!!! LOL!!!;)

Thanks Cathe

Sherry
My grandmother told me ...if you don't have kind words don't say anything.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.